NATION

PASSWORD

Research and Foreign Language Assistance Thread

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Danceria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Danceria » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:45 pm

This is a tag, and only a tag.
One true Patron Saint of Sinners and Satire
It is my sole purpose in life to offend you and get you to think about your convictions due to this
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Obligatory Quotes below
“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.” - William Shakespeare.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock.” - Thomas Jefferson

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.” - Thomas Paine
-{(~CO-FOUNDER OF NS AXIS POWERS~)}-

Blodrike
Envoy

Founded: Sep 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Blodrike » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:06 pm

The Islands of Versilia wrote:Could Chinese characters be used for non-Chinese languages?
I’m trying to find a suitable script for use in Versilian, other than Cyrillic.

You can also use Old Norse runes, if you're trying to go for a "mystical" feeling with your language.
~ THE BLOOD REALM ~
A secluded realm ruled over by the ancient and powerful Queen Freya, full of violent storms, treacherous landscapes and ferocious beasts. Abandon hope, all ye who enter here!
The Queen | Q&A | Nations & RP Info | Current RP
Tech is PT/FanT • Nation is just for fun • I do not use NS stats

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:54 pm

Samudera Darussalam wrote:I

1. Hebrew/Yiddish - I want to name some of the synagogues in my country. Do you have some suggestions? Also, what's the Hebrew/Yiddish translation of "The Synagogue of the East", "The Synagogue of the West", and "The Synagogue of the Lands Above the Wind"?

"The Synagogue of the East"- Beit Knesset Ha-Mizrakh בית כנסת המזרח
"The Synagogue of the West"- Beit Knesset Ha-Maárav" בית כנסת המערב
"The Synagogue of the Lands Above the Wind" - Beit Knesset Ha-Aratzot Meál Ha-Ruah - בית כנסת הארצות מעל הרוח

Here are names of some synagogues that actually exist in Israel

Beit Knesset Ohel Moshe (Moses' Tent Synagogue) בית כנסת אוהל משה
(You can substitute the names of other biblical figures known to have tents, like Abraham for instance).
Beit Kneset Or Haim (Light of Life Synagogue) בית כנסת אור חיים
(One can also substitute, say, Tikva [hope])
They can also be named after various prophets, or after the community that builds them.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Imeriata
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 02, 2009
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Imeriata » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:28 pm

Yohannes wrote:f

Allsmäktiga sankt Maxtopia,

Älskvärt se vår svaghet för anarki, kaos, och krig funna runt om världen bestående av regioner och nationalstater, vi ber ödmjukt om hjälp och gunst av ers nåde i vår nationalstats göromål; Överse utvecklingar på nationalstaters skala; och för att du vägleder oss idag, och för resten av veckan, för att du ger oss hyfs för denna mest välsignade församlingen, i dessa nitton länders i Johannesiska kontinentens parlamentet.

Helgat vare ditt namn, må rikedom, och stabilitet vara oss givna; Och må industri och välfärd be givet till vårt folk. Sankt Maxtopa skydda Kejsaren. Amen
Last edited by Imeriata on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
embassy program| IIWiki |The foreign units of the royal guard |The royal merchant guilds official storefront! (Now with toys)

So what? Let me indulge my oversized ego for a moment!
Astralsideria wrote:You, sir, are the greatest who ever did set foot upon this earth. If there were an appropriate emoticon, I would take my hat off to you.

Altamirus wrote:^War! War! I want to see 18th century soldiers go up againist flaming cats! Do it Imeriata! Do it Now!

Ramsetia wrote:
Imeriata wrote:you would think that you could afford better looking hussar uniforms for all that money...

Of course, Imeriata focuses on the important things in life.

Willing to help with all your MS paint related troubles.
Things I dislikes: Everything.

Dtin
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Dtin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:52 pm

Samudera Darussalam wrote:I'm willing to help with Indonesian/Bahasa Indonesia, if anyone needs help with it, though there are already two "senior mentors", Hindia Belanda and Kalosia, who already offered their assistance.

Edit:
Coincidentally, currently I'm searching for an online foreign language assistance thread, given the google translate is not really trustworthy, and then I stumbled upon this one. Great idea Allanea, thanks!

I would like to ask some help in these languages:
1. Hebrew/Yiddish - I want to name some of the synagogues in my country. Do you have some suggestions? Also, what's the Hebrew/Yiddish translation of "The Synagogue of the East", "The Synagogue of the West", and "The Synagogue of the Lands Above the Wind"?
2. Chinese - I want to know....what's the Chinese translation and spelling of "The Federal Kingdom of Samudera Darussalam"? From my knowledge, some ancient Chinese sources commonly referred to the Srivijayan Empire as "Shih-li-fo-shi" (sorry if I spelled it wrong). Since in my nation's history, Samudera Darussalam is the continuation of the Srivijayan Empire, though Islamized, can the ancient term be used to refer to my nation, or I have to use new Chinese name?
3. Japanese - Same as the Chinese, I want to know what's the Japanese translation and spelling of "The Federal Kingdom of Samudera Darussalam"?
4. French - same as above.
5. Turkish - same as above.
6. Arabic - same as above.
7. Portuguese - same as above.

Hi! With regards to question 2, the Chinese translation for Srivijaya is 三佛齐 (san1-fo2-qi2) or 室利佛逝 (shi4-li4-fo2-shi4). If you want to continue using this Chinese name for your country, I believe that it should still be fine; some notes though, the pronunciation might not be the same as your current nation name and the 佛 (fo) in the above translations implies Buddhism (which I believe that there was historical context for for Srivijaya). If this bothers you, you might want to change this character to another one that sounds similar but has different meaning, for example ones pronounced "fu". Hope that helps!

Also, I'm willing to help translate any texts from English to Chinese. Contact me if you need help :)

Agenca
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 17, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Agenca » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:40 am

I can help with some Spanish translations
"Don't blame me if something goes wrong"
Current Year:2093
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.77

Second American Civil War (2068-2076)
Agenca-Sino Conflict (2086)
National Language:English
Founded: March 15, 2077
Capitol:Ithaca, New York
Largest City:New York City, New York
Current Year:2093

offices:https://www.nationstates.net/nation=agenca/detail=factbook/id=804293

Cirona
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Cirona » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:05 am

Happy to help with Chinese, as well as broken French and Malay.

Smoya
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 16, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Smoya » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Cool thread. I’d be glad to help with Spanish, French, Italian, or Portuguese.

Samudera Darussalam wrote:2. Chinese - I want to know....what's the Chinese translation and spelling of "The Federal Kingdom of Samudera Darussalam"? From my knowledge, some ancient Chinese sources commonly referred to the Srivijayan Empire as "Shih-li-fo-shi" (sorry if I spelled it wrong). Since in my nation's history, Samudera Darussalam is the continuation of the Srivijayan Empire, though Islamized, can the ancient term be used to refer to my nation, or I have to use new Chinese name?
3. Japanese - Same as the Chinese, I want to know what's the Japanese translation and spelling of "The Federal Kingdom of Samudera Darussalam"?
5. Turkish - same as above.
6. Arabic - same as above.
7. Portuguese - same as above.

Portuguese: O Reino Federal de Samudera Darussalam.
Last edited by Smoya on Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Sunalaya!

Secundus Imperium Romanum
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Secundus Imperium Romanum » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:18 pm

i can help with portuguese too!
Secundus Imperium Romanum
A democratic nation, with the 1950s fashion.
Constitution · Parliamentary Debates · News · Embassy Program
Every day in Rome

Westwickport
Envoy

Founded: Oct 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Westwickport » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Imeriata wrote:
Yohannes wrote:f

Allsmäktiga sankt Maxtopia,

Älskvärt se vår svaghet för anarki, kaos, och krig funna runt om världen bestående av regioner och nationalstater, vi ber ödmjukt om hjälp och gunst av ers nåde i vår nationalstats göromål; Överse utvecklingar på nationalstaters skala; och för att du vägleder oss idag, och för resten av veckan, för att du ger oss hyfs för denna mest välsignade församlingen, i dessa nitton länders i Johannesiska kontinentens parlamentet.

Helgat vare ditt namn, må rikedom, och stabilitet vara oss givna; Och må industri och välfärd be givet till vårt folk. Sankt Maxtopa skydda Kejsaren. Amen

Aha awesome thank you so much Imer! Image
Green liberalism - Liberal feminism - An economy for all
Hi! My main nation is [ Yohannes ]. Nice to meet you!
God Defend New Zealand! - E Ihowā Atua!
This is my roleplayed nation when I want to have a wee bit of fun; sorry for the lazily written posts!

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks everyone, especially Allanea, Hindia Belanda, Anollasia, Dtin, and Smoya.

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:28 pm

Bumping this up, just in case:

New Visayan Islands wrote:Incidentally, I could use a Mandarin translation of my nation's official name (The Confederation of the New Visayan Islands) and some proofreading for the Spanish (La Confederación de las Nuevas Islas Bisayas).

Thanks!
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:54 am

I can help with French and Mandarin.

New Visayan Islands wrote:Tagalog is my third language and Cebuano my second, but I can help out with translating from Tagalog and/or Cebuano to English. Also, Filipino culture.

Incidentally, I could use a Mandarin translation of my nation's official name (The Confederation of the New Visayan Islands) and some proofreading for the Spanish (La Confederación de las Nuevas Islas Bisayas).

Thanks!

新米沙鄢群岛邦联

Samudera Darussalam wrote:2. Chinese - I want to know....what's the Chinese translation and spelling of "The Federal Kingdom of Samudera Darussalam"? From my knowledge, some ancient Chinese sources commonly referred to the Srivijayan Empire as "Shih-li-fo-shi" (sorry if I spelled it wrong). Since in my nation's history, Samudera Darussalam is the continuation of the Srivijayan Empire, though Islamized, can the ancient term be used to refer to my nation, or I have to use new Chinese name?

Just to clarify on the question a bit, while I'm not sure there's any example of anachronistic names lasting such a long time, there are several cases of Chinese exonyms not reflecting modern place names. It really depends on whether your own governments wants to. For example, since North Korea wants to gain legitimacy by claiming continuity from the Joseon Dynasty, it continues to be known as 北朝鲜 ("North Joseon") in Mandarin. Meanwhile, South Korea isn't fond of being associated with a weak tributary state that got invaded fifty times over, so it pushed China into referring to it as 韩国 ("Land of the Koreans").

Also, with the proper capitalisation and diacritics, the French translation should be Royaume fédéral de Samudera-Darussalam.
Last edited by Ainin on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:26 am, edited 6 times in total.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Smoya
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Smoya » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:18 am

New Visayan Islands wrote:Bumping this up, just in case:

New Visayan Islands wrote:Incidentally, I could use a Mandarin translation of my nation's official name (The Confederation of the New Visayan Islands) and some proofreading for the Spanish (La Confederación de las Nuevas Islas Bisayas).

Thanks!

Your Spanish translation is correct.
Visit Sunalaya!

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Founded: Feb 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:36 am

Could anyone possibly come up with a Mandarin Chinese name for Versilia? In Nipponese (Japanese), Versilia is Koshima (科島), translated as ‘Science Island’. I’d like a name giving the idea of a far away and haunting land. Think of being on a ship way back when, and seeing the sight of unmanned coastal defences on land, peaking out of the fog.

Is there any sort of name that a Chinese sailor or explorer would come up with?
Thanks.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.
Rate me as Prime Minister

Arthropol
Minister

Founded: May 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropol » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:06 am

Removed for retcon purposes (2019-08-01)
Last edited by Arthropol on Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kingdom of Arthropol - Royaume d'Arthropol
———————————————————————————
Capital: Arthropol City
Language: French
Population: 72 million
Economic: centre-left
Social: moderate
Nationality: Australian
Sex: Male
Economic: fairly left-wing
Social: moderately authoritarian
Not really active on NS forums anymore, still posts once in a while on F&NI and F7. IC views do not represent my real political views. NS stats not used.

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:14 am

An update on the writing system:
I’ve managed to find a good one to use. I’m going to use Bopomofo.

Here’s what I have:
Current Versilian Writing
A, B, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, R, S, T, U, V, W, Y, Z, Yo, Yu, Ya, Ts, Ch, Sh.
ㄅ, ㄆ, ㄇ, ㄈ, ㄉ, ㄊ, ㄋ, ㄌ, ㄍ, ㄎ, ㄏ, ㄐ, ㄑ, ㄒ, ㄓ, ㄔ, ㄕ, ㄖ, ㄗ, ㄘ, ㄙ, ㄚ, ㄛ, ㄠ, ㄝ, ㄞ, ㄟ, ㄡ, ㄤ.
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Palaeolithic and Bronze Age-inspired FanT-MT civilization of humans and vampiresque hominins living peacefully together in a habitable Greenland presided over by a semi-elective phylarchic monarchy with an A S C E N D E D vampiric hominin from Georgia as queen.

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:13 am

The Islands of Versilia wrote:Could anyone possibly come up with a Mandarin Chinese name for Versilia? In Nipponese (Japanese), Versilia is Koshima (科島), translated as ‘Science Island’. I’d like a name giving the idea of a far away and haunting land. Think of being on a ship way back when, and seeing the sight of unmanned coastal defences on land, peaking out of the fog.

Is there any sort of name that a Chinese sailor or explorer would come up with?
Thanks.

A bit of an extension to this, but could I possibly have “The United Blood Courts of (Versilia)” translated into:
- German
- Russian
- Korean
- Mandarin
- Japanese
- Norwegian
- Polish

Also, is Strzygakraj, Versårland and Festungland good foreign names for Versilia? It’s in polish, Norwegian and German respectively.

Thanks!
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

Symir
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Symir » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:59 am

The Islands of Versilia wrote:A bit of an extension to this, but could I possibly have “The United Blood Courts of (Versilia)” translated into:
- German
- Russian
- Korean
- Mandarin
- Japanese
- Norwegian
- Polish

Also, is Strzygakraj, Versårland and Festungland good foreign names for Versilia? It’s in polish, Norwegian and German respectively.

Thanks!

Russian: Версилийские объединённые кровяные дворы (Versilijskije objedinjonnyje krovjanyje dvory) - following the Russian naming guidelines for countries; alternatively, you can use объединённые дворы крови (objedinjonnyje dvory krovi), whichever sounds better in my opinion.

German: Vereinigte Bluthöfe von Versilien/Festungland or Die vereinigte Bluthöfe von Versilien/Festungland

Polish: Dwory krwi zjednoczone Wersilji/Strzygakraju

Norwegian: Forente Blodhoffa Versårland

Hebrew (I know you didn't ask for it but why not): חצרות הדם המאוחדות של ורסיליה (ẖatzerot hadam hameʼuẖadot šel versilia) - literally "united courts of blood of Versilia"

The Islands of Versilia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:02 am

Symir wrote:
The Islands of Versilia wrote:A bit of an extension to this, but could I possibly have “The United Blood Courts of (Versilia)” translated into:
- German
- Russian
- Korean
- Mandarin
- Japanese
- Norwegian
- Polish

Thanks!

Russian: Версилийские объединённые кровяные дворы (Versilijskije objedinjonnyje krovjanyje dvory) - following the Russian naming guidelines for countries; alternatively, you can use объединённые дворы крови (objedinjonnyje dvory krovi), whichever sounds better in my opinion.

German: Vereinigte Bluthöfe von Versilien/Festungland or Die vereinigte Bluthöfe von Versilien/Festungland

Polish: Dwory krwi zjednoczone Wersilji/Strzygakraju

Norwegian: Forente Blodhoffa Versårland

Hebrew (I know you didn't ask for it but why not): חצרות הדם המאוחדות של ורסיליה (ẖatzerot hadam hameʼuẖadot šel versilia) - literally "united courts of blood of Versilia"

Thank you so much!
STÓRRIKIT VÆRSLAND
FactbooksThemesThe User

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:09 am

Smoya wrote:
New Visayan Islands wrote:Bumping this up, just in case:

Your Spanish translation is correct.

Including diacritics, I assume?
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

Kalosia
Minister

Founded: Jan 09, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kalosia » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:04 am

Samudera Darussalam wrote:6. Arabic - same as above. [The Federal Kingdom of Samudera Darussalam]

I happen to also be learning Arabic so my attempt at this is

"مملكة السامودرا دار السلام المتحدة"

"Mamlakah asSamudera Darussalam alMutahidah"

My knowledge of Arabic is still quite limited (I wouldn't've been able to translate that if you asked me this question last week) and honestly I don't know whether there should be an Al- in front of the first word, though I do know that adding one will likely change the meaning of the whole phrase.
Mediterranea > Mediterra > Kalosia
/kə'loʊʒɑː/ (english) /kɑː'lɒsiːɑː/ (kalosian)
Factbook | Official Website

WorldVision Song Contest results
World Hit Festival results (incomplete)

Smoya
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Smoya » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:42 pm

New Visayan Islands wrote:
Smoya wrote:Your Spanish translation is correct.

Including diacritics, I assume?

Yep! Sorry for getting back to you late.
Visit Sunalaya!

Krenorus
Envoy

Founded: Apr 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Krenorus » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:41 am

what is the all-caps Russian version of

NOTICE: AUTO JÄGER HEADQUARTERS IS LOCATED IN THE UNITED DOMINION OF KRENORUS, MEMBER OF THE BRITISH COMMONWEALTH AND THE BRITANNIAN KINGDOM - RULE HIS MAJESTY KING WILLIAM V OF THE BRITANNIAN KINGDOM
This is 4000+ words long... so I'll just put the link to it here...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/103_ ... sp=sharing

Diplomatic Server:

https://discord.gg/D8twyGs

Krenorussian Broadcasting Corporation (INTERNATIONAL): NO CURRENT NEWS

Symir
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Symir » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:51 am

Krenorus wrote:what is the all-caps Russian version of

NOTICE: AUTO JÄGER HEADQUARTERS IS LOCATED IN THE UNITED DOMINION OF KRENORUS, MEMBER OF THE BRITISH COMMONWEALTH AND THE BRITANNIAN KINGDOM - RULE HIS MAJESTY KING WILLIAM V OF THE BRITANNIAN KINGDOM

ВНИМАНИЕ: ГЛАВНОЕ УПРАВЛЕНИЕ АВТО ЕГЕР РАСПОЛОГАЕТСЯ В СОЕДИНЁНОМ КРЕНОРИЙСКОМ ВЛАДЫЧЕСТВЕ, ЧЛЕН БРИТАНСКОГО СОДРУЖЕСТВА И БРИТАНИЙСКОГО КОРОЛЕВСТВА - ПОД ВЛАСТЬЮ ЕГО ВЕЛИЧЕСТВА, КОРОЛЯ ВИЛЛИАМА ПЯТОГО БРИТАНИЙСКОГО КОРОЛЕВСТВА

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information