NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation Mk X

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Tue May 16, 2017 3:38 pm

this is the M44

it carries 24 people

notice the lack of a billion and a half hatches and overly complex and structurally weak engine access

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Tue May 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Better?

Not getting rid of the hatches though, because to me they serve a decent enough purpose and don't have any downsides.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Chinevion
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinevion » Tue May 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
-Celibrae- wrote:
Why don't you cut it down to 30 and have 3 10-dismount APCs? Then when a mine hits you only lose a third combat power instead of half.

Because I don't even have any lore. I've made multiple vehicles of many roles for most pre-modern time periods and I don't use any of them. I just like experimenting.

Honestly I don't even have any real organization either. My late WWII onwards squad is 10 men but that wouldn't really stop me making an APC or IVF that carries 5 or 15 or something.

I do not conform to your restrictive ideals. I am a free spirit and will not be enslaved by reality.

This is where free spirites come to die

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Tue May 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Chinevion wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:
Because I don't even have any lore. I've made multiple vehicles of many roles for most pre-modern time periods and I don't use any of them. I just like experimenting.

Honestly I don't even have any real organization either. My late WWII onwards squad is 10 men but that wouldn't really stop me making an APC or IVF that carries 5 or 15 or something.

I do not conform to your restrictive ideals. I am a free spirit and will not be enslaved by reality.

This is where free spirites come to die

I've survived this long

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Chinevion
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinevion » Tue May 16, 2017 4:51 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Chinevion wrote:This is where free spirites come to die

I've survived this long

everything falls

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Tue May 16, 2017 11:36 pm

Fordorsia wrote:Better?

(Image)

Not getting rid of the hatches though, because to me they serve a decent enough purpose and don't have any downsides.

why on earth would you want an APC this large though

-Celibrae-
Envoy

Founded: Apr 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Celibrae- » Tue May 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Anemos Major wrote:

(Image)

He isn't enslaved by reality.

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Wed May 17, 2017 12:09 am

-Celibrae- wrote:He isn't enslaved by reality.

so this 'fordorsia' is actually a radical gambit to free humanity of its metaphysical chains?

Even the M75, which halved the troop complement and shaved nearly 5t off the weight of the M44, was considered too big and too costly for its time. If you really must make an oversized and overweight APC, it doesn't make much sense to just scale up the M113 - have you considered just making yourself a cheap box APC for #coldwar purposes, then adding a 'heavy' APC that's just a conversion of whatever tank chassis you have lying around? It worked with the Kangaroo carriers, it continues to work with the Namer, and it'd certainly be more interesting to draw than a series of increasingly larger rectangles.

-Celibrae-
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby -Celibrae- » Wed May 17, 2017 2:34 am

Gallia- wrote:
-Celibrae- wrote:
He isn't enslaved by reality.

Or good advice.

Ford is essentially Adolf. Fordolf.

-Celibrae-
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby -Celibrae- » Wed May 17, 2017 2:45 am

Purp seems to take himself seriously though.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed May 17, 2017 4:06 am

-Celibrae- wrote:Purp seems to take himself seriously though.

Actually I clown around roughly 50% of the time. It's just that you guys really can't tell when I am serious and when not which leads to a lot of confusion. And I personally don't care enough to clear things up anyway because that would kill the fun in clowning around.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed May 17, 2017 7:06 am

Anemos Major wrote:

(Image)

Because besides in width, it's not much larger than what I think is the largest APC/IFV. And even then it's only like 70cm wider.

Rhodesialund
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Wed May 17, 2017 1:13 pm

Anemos Major wrote:

(Image)

Because Ford is Hitler's personal armored vehicle designer who was tossed between Porsche, Henschel, and Hanomag. The only reason why Ford exists today was because Hitler tossed him into the time traveling machine.
Name: Valintina/Tina
Bio: President Donald Trump's Concubine

Chinevion
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinevion » Wed May 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Korva wrote:You made a tracked APC bigger than the biggest wheeled death truck?

Eithan is my favorite armored taxi

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Wed May 17, 2017 3:41 pm

*moved to keep people happy

Gallia- wrote:That would be no different than the ASCOD.

the business model for the two CV90 proposals was very different to ASCOD 2

partly because CV90 was already a vehicle that existed

Gallia- wrote:The opportunity to regenerate Britain's AFV industry was to continue making Warriors, just as utility carriers or something.

ideally yes, but BAE had a factory in Newcastle capable of manufacturing AFVs up to IFVs size all the way till 2014, they shut it down because with the loss of the Scout SV program they didn't have any orders to follow on from Terrier production.

The first CV90 business model was predicated on getting maximum value for money for the MoD so the base hull would have been manufactured in Sweden and all the FRES specific components would have been manufactured in the UK.

the second model which came after BAE belatedly realised what the MoD was actually looking for involved manufacturing every major structural component and most of the sub systems in the UK.
Last edited by Laritaia on Wed May 17, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Wed May 17, 2017 3:43 pm

The major issue is that no British engineers would have had experience with CV90. It would be basically starting fresh, while there might have still been dudes who worked on the Warrior even today, who will be retiring soon but whatever. You'd have some institutional memory to build upon, however remote. That's the most important thing when regenerating industries. Unexperienced engineers make shitty mistakes, and relying on foreign engineers is even worse for a defense industry because you're not going to have these whiz-kids around in wartime, if they're the enemy.

If you could prove there was no institutional memory left (or so little that it was basically irrelevant) then CV90 would probably be the fairer deal because it transferred the most technology to Britain rather than housing it away in silos in Spain and America, I guess.

But people were still working on Warrior-based vehicles until the oughties, so there's that. It would be a hard sell that there were no experienced AFV engineers left in Britain before the ASCOD deal was signed.

Now they're basically pensioners walking and the UK is tied to the Spanish for all its armored vehicle technology.

If it were CV90, it'd be tied to the Swedish. Sure, you can make appliques, but good luck running around and making a whole new vehicle without reverse engineering whatever you have if the Swedes decline to sell it to you. Or worse, replacing it with an equivalent vehicle from someone else. Oh wait.
Last edited by Gallia- on Wed May 17, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Wed May 17, 2017 3:49 pm

Gallia- wrote:The major issue is that no British engineers would have had experience with CV90. It would be basically starting fresh, while there might have still been dudes who worked on the Warrior even today, who will be retiring soon but whatever. You'd have some institutional memory to build upon, however remote. That's the most important thing when regenerating industries.

If you could prove there was no institutional memory left (or so little that it was basically irrelevant) then CV90 would probably be the fairer deal because it transferred the most technology to Britain rather than housing it away in silos in Spain and America, I guess.

But people were still working on Warrior-based vehicles until the oughties.

Warrior 2000 was a very different beast to OG Warrior to the extent that the learning curve for manufacturing CV90 in house wouldn't be that different to some how dredging up W2K from the depths of hell (where all failed British armoured vehicles go)

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Wed May 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Laritaia wrote:
Gallia- wrote:The major issue is that no British engineers would have had experience with CV90. It would be basically starting fresh, while there might have still been dudes who worked on the Warrior even today, who will be retiring soon but whatever. You'd have some institutional memory to build upon, however remote. That's the most important thing when regenerating industries.

But people were still working on Warrior-based vehicles until the oughties.

Warrior 2000 was a very different beast to OG Warrior to the extent that the learning curve for manufacturing CV90 in house wouldn't be that different to some how dredging up W2K from the depths of hell (where all failed British armoured vehicles go)

The difference is that CV90 is owned by a Swedish firm? The engineers who draw and the filing cabinets that house the blueprints for the thing live in Stockholm. Warrior 2000 is a home-grown British vehicle and TBH it's probably better than Sweden's "literally a decade older" carrier.

So it seems fine to me.

However at this point the most advanced vehicle designers in the West will be the Swedes, Turks, and Greeks, since all the major players have left for nearly a full retirement cycle and have no intentions of getting back in the game for another decade now.

What a sad low we've sunk to.

At least the major Western economies didn't globalize stealth fighters or submarines.
Last edited by Gallia- on Wed May 17, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Wed May 17, 2017 3:58 pm

rip W2k

your reverse sloped side armour was too radical for this cruel world

-Celibrae-
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby -Celibrae- » Wed May 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Warrior is pretty hot, though I've heard RARDEN isn't great.

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Wed May 17, 2017 4:05 pm

-Celibrae- wrote:Warrior is pretty hot, though I've heard RARDEN isn't great.

Warrior is a classic example of a British AFV with an arguably fantastic hull, but armed with comedy weapons
Last edited by Laritaia on Wed May 17, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information