NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation Mk X

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:
Vast majority of AT guns in the late 30s won't penetrate any part of the tank (minimum 60mm thick except the roof and floor) beyond 100m, and won't penetrate the front plate, front of the turrets, or the sides of the barbette (75mm thick) at any range.

And? The Matildas were invulnerable to almost everything except 88s and 105mm field guns, yet their combat service was decidedly less than stellar.

BG R. Simpkin would heavily disagree with this statement. He drove them against the Nazis in North Africa and feared only limpet mines.

The great terror of North Africa British tankers wasn't the 88mm, it was the lowly Bosche with a limpet mine waiting in an unseen foxhole.

More imagined than anything, but British tankers weren't scared of Tigers or AAA batteries. They happily charged them over open ground in a repeat of the Light Brigade a hundred years on.
Last edited by Gallia- on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:33 pm

you don't destroy AT guns by running away when they manage to blow up one of your tanks.

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:00 pm

Gallia- wrote:You also don't destroy them by being killed by them before you can shoot at them. :^)

but muh smoke shells

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:38 pm

well if the smoke doesn't work they also have smoke with a small HE filler

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:59 am

Fordorsia wrote:
Vast majority of AT guns in the late 30s won't penetrate any part of the tank (minimum 60mm thick except the roof and floor) beyond 100m, and won't penetrate the front plate, front of the turrets, or the sides of the barbette (75mm thick) at any range.

And? The Matildas were invulnerable to almost everything except 88s and 105mm field guns, yet their combat service was decidedly less than stellar.

And nothing? I corrected him. I didn't say anything about its performance.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:33 am

BMP-3 UGV ? Yes!

#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:56 am

Britain had a big problem with anti-tank guns because most of its tanks before 1942 did not have HE shells. Vehicles like the crusader with the 2pdr or 6pdr gun were perfectly adequate for killing German armour - in fact they were good at it - but they had nothing with which to fight anti tank emplacements. They developed some tactics, but one of them did include charging them with tanks so that they would open up and artillery could silence them. There was a period of the desert war (1940-early 1942) where the Royal Armoured Corps doctrine was pretty much "just charge at them like a 19th century cavalry charge." Vast casualties were incurred.

The Matilda's problem was that it just kept breaking down in the desert. They were fine in France but only very very few were brought there.
Restore the Crown

Federated Kingdom of Prussia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Federated Kingdom of Prussia » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:55 am

Fordorsia wrote:
Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:And? The Matildas were invulnerable to almost everything except 88s and 105mm field guns, yet their combat service was decidedly less than stellar.

I meant armor alone doesn't make the tank.
Gallia- wrote:
Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:And? The Matildas were invulnerable to almost everything except 88s and 105mm field guns, yet their combat service was decidedly less than stellar.

BG R. Simpkin would heavily disagree with this statement. He drove them against the Nazis in North Africa and feared only limpet mines.

The great terror of North Africa British tankers wasn't the 88mm, it was the lowly Bosche with a limpet mine waiting in an unseen foxhole.

More imagined than anything, but British tankers weren't scared of Tigers or AAA batteries. They happily charged them over open ground in a repeat of the Light Brigade a hundred years on.

Really? I didn't think magnetic mines were widely used outside of the eastern front.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:04 am

Fordorsia wrote:

I meant armor alone doesn't make the tank.

Didn't say it did. But being impervious to almost all anti tank fire isn't exactly a disadvantage.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Federated Kingdom of Prussia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Federated Kingdom of Prussia » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:06 am

Fordorsia wrote:
Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:I meant armor alone doesn't make the tank.

Didn't say it did. But being impervious to almost all anti tank fire isn't exactly a disadvantage.

It is when you end up with a bunker and not a tank. How are you going to put that on a train or ship? It's going to need specialized equipment for everything. The Panzer III did not have especially great armor for its day but was still considered the best tank in the world for the first year or two of the war.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:06 am

It's not possible to make an invincible weapon, so after you go above basic protection requirements, you're spending on armour with very diminishing returns. World War Two proves this: ceteris paribus, there's no point making a behemoth tank when the crew will bail out if a Typhoon fires a few rockets at them, or if the vehicle breaks down in the battle area etc etc.

It can make sense if you're strapped in other areas; you have fuel constraints and you're running out of manpower, but have plentiful steel, you may as well build a behemoth. But otherwise, no, it's more complex than "it always helps."
Restore the Crown

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:07 am

Questers wrote:The Matilda's problem was that it just kept breaking down in the desert.

Literally every British tank in the desert.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:09 am

Plonk yourself at a strategic location and wait for entire enemy army > All

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:22 am

Pretty much everyone in WWII struggled with manufacturing very thick armour steel whether it was cast or rolled and welded. The thicker the armour the more difficult it becomes to achieve the right properties.

Late war designs for tanks with extraordinarily thick plates would probably have suffered from poor quality armour when they entered service.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:41 am

Austrasien wrote:Pretty much everyone in WWII struggled with manufacturing very thick armour steel whether it was cast or rolled and welded. The thicker the armour the more difficult it becomes to achieve the right properties.

Late war designs for tanks with extraordinarily thick plates would probably have suffered from poor quality armour when they entered service.

75mm isn't very thick

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:53 am

Austrasien wrote:Pretty much everyone in WWII struggled with manufacturing very thick armour steel whether it was cast or rolled and welded. The thicker the armour the more difficult it becomes to achieve the right properties.

This would obviously be true for tanks like the Maus, but even for tanks that came from nations with excellent quality control and the like? E.g. would the T-29 have had consistency problems with the gun mantlet?
militant radical centrist in the sheets, neoclassical realist in the streets.
Saving this here so I can peruse it at my leisure.
In IC the Federated Kingdom of Prussia, 1950s-2000s timeline. Prussia backs a third-world Balkans puppet state called Sal Kataria.

New Antonalia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Antonalia » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:04 am

OK, does anyone have any Cold War era Soviet Camouflage patterns? I'm looking at starting to work on camouflage but I'm having a little trouble finding the colors so I can find the RGB pattern. Anything you have is much appreciated.

Edit: 1970s or later is preferable. Thanks
Last edited by New Antonalia on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
A, probably less than successful, model of what a Post Soviet Eastern European nation can be

Pixel Designer: https://thearmsdealer.deviantart.com/

Yes, I use JG Scale. No, Franscale is not better.
1 pxl : 1 inch is better than 1 pxl : 1 cm

Theodosiya
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Theodosiya » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:38 am

New Antonalia wrote:OK, does anyone have any Cold War era Soviet Camouflage patterns? I'm looking at starting to work on camouflage but I'm having a little trouble finding the colors so I can find the RGB pattern. Anything you have is much appreciated.

Edit: 1970s or later is preferable. Thanks

There's camopedia
http://camopedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

BUt this question are better asked here

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=385750&start=7175
Last edited by Theodosiya on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The strong rules over the weak
And the weak are ruled by the strong
It is the natural order

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:29 am

Allanea wrote:BMP-3 UGV ? Yes!

(Image)

I'm assuming it has a crew capsule for manual override?

Gallia- wrote:

Really? I didn't think magnetic mines were widely used outside of the eastern front.

I never said they were used. I never said they even existed at the time, although the British had magnetic hollow charge mines (i.e. "Clam"). BG Simpkin just mentions it in one of his books.
Last edited by Gallia- on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Novorden
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Novorden » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Got bored, made an interwar tank.
Interior and 3 point view maybe coming soon.

Also hello again after not having posted for however many months.
Last edited by Novorden on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:53 pm

it needs some sort of tumor cupola for the TC that's far bigger then it needs to be.

Chinevion
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinevion » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Novorden wrote:Got bored, made an interwar tank.
(Image)

looks good, whats the gun?

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:36 pm

Chinevion wrote:
Novorden wrote:Got bored, made an interwar tank.
(Image)

looks good, whats the gun?

Too small

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information