NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation Mk X

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Republic of Libanon
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Libanon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:49 pm

_delete
Last edited by Republic of Libanon on Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Born Again Christian
Paleo-Conservative
American Patriot

Hrstrovokia
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hrstrovokia » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:12 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
You're skipping some levels. Namely the corps level.

Buk could be used as either a corps or divisional asset, as Tor also slots in at a similar level. If Tor is available then Buk would probably be at the corps level and Tor and the divisional level.

Osa, Tunguska, and nowadays Pantsir-S1 would be used at the regimental level, along with MANPADS.

Depending on the version, S-300 would be above these. S-300 was a big and reconfigurable system and came in several variants, including the S-300V tracked configuration which was intended to be operated by the Soviet Ground Forces (Army) and the S-300P wheeled version for use by the Soviet Air Defense Forces. S-300V would be attached to your higher level ground forces commands (corps or army) while S-300P would be operated as a theater-level asset stationed as needed.

Thanks man, sorry to the previous poster for not asking the question properly.

Would the following every be likely, that an S-300 might be grouped with something like the Pantsyr-S1 in a brigade or regiment? The Pantsyr-S1 providing close-in defence. And thus the two systems cover a great performance envelope than just one on its own?

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:26 pm

Hrstrovokia wrote:Thanks man, sorry to the previous poster for not asking the question properly.

Would the following every be likely, that an S-300 might be grouped with something like the Pantsyr-S1 in a brigade or regiment? The Pantsyr-S1 providing close-in defence. And thus the two systems cover a great performance envelope than just one on its own?

Only for self-defense of the S-300 battery itself, although it should be noted that S-300 has a whole range of missiles, including shorter-ranged ones.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:44 pm

Allanea wrote:Also that's an IRBM launcher on a tank chassis.

Looks like a FROG-M in a tube, and called a guided missile.

Which is actually pretty likely, since the Norkies acquired 24 PT-76 derrived TELs for the 2k6/2k52 rocket.

So assuming they haz nukes, they've finally upgraded to Honest Johns.

Now if only they'd stop prematurely exploding
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:44 am

Hrstrovokia wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:
You're skipping some levels. Namely the corps level.

Buk could be used as either a corps or divisional asset, as Tor also slots in at a similar level. If Tor is available then Buk would probably be at the corps level and Tor and the divisional level.

Osa, Tunguska, and nowadays Pantsir-S1 would be used at the regimental level, along with MANPADS.

Depending on the version, S-300 would be above these. S-300 was a big and reconfigurable system and came in several variants, including the S-300V tracked configuration which was intended to be operated by the Soviet Ground Forces (Army) and the S-300P wheeled version for use by the Soviet Air Defense Forces. S-300V would be attached to your higher level ground forces commands (corps or army) while S-300P would be operated as a theater-level asset stationed as needed.

Thanks man, sorry to the previous poster for not asking the question properly.

Tor, Vityaz, or Morpheus seem more likely options for wide area SAM defense.

Pantsyr S1 is a replacement for Tunguska IIRC?

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:57 am

No comments on my finished super effective super serious war winning superweapon :<

Anti-Ford bias in this thread
Last edited by Fordorsia on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Hrstrovokia
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hrstrovokia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:01 am

Gallia- wrote:

I think Pantsyr-S1 is point defence and not as mobile as the Tunguska but probably newer systems? so more capable.

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:13 am

Pantsir, like Tunguska, is all in the turret. The hull is a GM chassis.
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Kravanica
Senator

Founded: Aug 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:50 am

The Kravanican Realm (PMT)
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
My nation does not represent my RL views

American and Jewish
Conservatarian with various "right-wing" leanings

Autonomous Eastern Ukraine
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Autonomous Eastern Ukraine » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:09 am

Fordorsia wrote:No comments on my finished super effective super serious war winning superweapon :<

It's a fatter O-I, not much for me to say that I haven't said already.
I use NS stats for government but not GDP and population.
Lawful Neutral
Scored 76% Law vs Chaos and 56% Good vs Evil.

“Misdirecting your allies too? By the way those random islands don’t even have garrisons, what if the Japanese land troops? They’d destroy most of the USAAF!” - Eisenhower
"A trillion gigabytes of data, none of it useful! Though some... oddly engrossing."

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:12 am

Fordorsia wrote:No comments on my finished super effective super serious war winning superweapon :<

No room for an engine or transmission.

Ergo I passed it up as pointless to comment.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:36 am

Autonomous Eastern Ukraine wrote:

It's a fatter O-I, not much for me to say that I haven't said already.

ur a fatter O-I

At least mine's not as long or tall

Dostanuot Loj wrote:

Not sure why you'd say that. There's plenty of room for both. The transmission goes without saying just by looking at it, and like half the engine would be underneath the turret and barbette, and is pulled out the back for major maintenance. I don't think space is a problem for either.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:40 am

Fordorsia wrote:
Autonomous Eastern Ukraine wrote:It's a fatter O-I, not much for me to say that I haven't said already.

ur a fatter O-I

Dostanuot Loj wrote:

Not sure why you'd say that. There's plenty of room for both. The transmission goes without saying just by looking at it, and like half the engine would be underneath the turret and barbette, and is pulled out the back for major maintenance. I don't think space is a problem for either.

You need to block out the internals then, because unless those MG turrets are large enough for a man to sit in without going below the turret ring, you have no room for an engine, transmission, associated cooling, fuel, and other important systems.

There is a reason other multi-turret vehicles are as large (and often long) as they are.
Leopard 1 IRL

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:50 am

Dostanuot Loj wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:
ur a fatter O-I

You need to block out the internals then, because unless those MG turrets are large enough for a man to sit in without going below the turret ring, you have no room for an engine, transmission, associated cooling, fuel, and other important systems.

There is a reason other multi-turret vehicles are as large (and often long) as they are.

Transmission is at the front, to clarify.

They go below the turret ring, but those rear turrets only take up like a quarter of the space in the sponsons. And to clarify further, the entire hull underneath the barbette (perhaps besides a small space for shell stowage) is open for use for all the important engine bits, as well as the sponsons. I don't know enough about those things to tell you where everything goes besides the fuel being in the sponsons and the engine just being "in the back", but the space is there for them.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:02 am

Do us a favor and take a picture of it from directly above. As in top down. Than draw on the engine and transmission and other bits in paint roughly where you think they go.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:25 am

Purpelia wrote:Do us a favor and take a picture of it from directly above. As in top down. Than draw on the engine and transmission and other bits in paint roughly where you think they go.

I'm not that clueless

Engine centre rear, radiator on top of the engine, fuel in sponsons, transmission front. And if it's helpful, the space for the engine excluding the two side extension bits is 2.9m x 1.2m x 1.9m. Could easily be longer if needed.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:25 am

Hrstrovokia wrote:
Gallia- wrote:

I think Pantsyr-S1 is point defence and not as mobile as the Tunguska but probably newer systems? so more capable.

Pantsir-S1 is a modular turret and can be mounted on either a tracked or wheeled chassis. A wheeled chassis is cheaper for showing off though at arms expos and wheeled vehicles are all the rage (muh medium-weight forces!) so it's more common. But tracked variants exist.

A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:29 am

Fordorsia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Do us a favor and take a picture of it from directly above. As in top down. Than draw on the engine and transmission and other bits in paint roughly where you think they go.

I'm not that clueless

Engine centre rear, radiator on top of the engine, fuel in sponsons, transmission front. And if it's helpful, the space for the engine excluding the two side extension bits is 2.9m x 1.2m x 1.9m. Could easily be longer if needed.

Your driver and two front turret gunners need to sit atop, very cramped, a hot, moving transmission?
You don't really have space for an engine under the barbette. Especially with the weight you're looking at.

I keep saying, there is a reason real designs of tanks like this are not so cramped and squished with tonnes of guns pointing out of it.
Leopard 1 IRL

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:36 am

Dostanuot Loj wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:
I'm not that clueless

Your driver and two front turret gunners need to sit atop, very cramped, a hot, moving transmission?
You don't really have space for an engine under the barbette. Especially with the weight you're looking at.

I keep saying, there is a reason real designs of tanks like this are not so cramped and squished with tonnes of guns pointing out of it.

Why would they be on top of it? It's in front of them.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:50 am

Fordorsia wrote:
Dostanuot Loj wrote:

If you cared to look at a real transmission in for example an M3 Lee/Grant you'd know that the it goes to the engine through the crew compartment and that the driver basically sits astride it.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:59 am

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

If you cared to look at a real transmission in for example an M3 Lee/Grant you'd know that the it goes to the engine through the crew compartment and that the driver basically sits astride it.

Yes I know it goes further back. But why couldn't it be offset?

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:40 am

Fordorsia wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:If you cared to look at a real transmission in for example an M3 Lee/Grant you'd know that the it goes to the engine through the crew compartment and that the driver basically sits astride it.

Because transmissions made to take that level of torque are huge. This is part of the reason front drive tanks are not really a thing anymore. And you have a line of three abreast people right where the transmission needs to be.
Leopard 1 IRL

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:51 am

Dostanuot Loj wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

Because transmissions made to take that level of torque are huge. This is part of the reason front drive tanks are not really a thing anymore. And you have a line of three abreast people right where the transmission needs to be.

I get that the driver's placement is an issue then, but even the turrets? They are on up the sponsons after all. Would they really get in the way of it? Why would the transmission extend up into where they are?
Last edited by Fordorsia on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:54 am

Fordorsia wrote:
Dostanuot Loj wrote:

I get that the driver's placement is an issue then, but even the turrets? They are on up the sponsons after all. Would they really get in the way of it?

I think you're either massively overestimating the amount of space those sponsons have, or underestimating the space a person takes up. In either case, based on your image and the provided person for scale, the person manning each turret will be partially into the hull proper, partially in the sponson, and partially in the turret.
Leopard 1 IRL

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:56 am

I'll do the simplest thing which is to take the image you asked for and show you what size the transmission should be for a front drive vehicle.

The red box is about what you could expect for a tank transmission.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information