NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation Mk X

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Thu May 04, 2017 10:39 am

Vickers Mk4

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Thu May 04, 2017 11:02 am

Chinevion wrote:
Gallan Systems wrote:Artillery shells do not fit into tank guns.

They require modular charges and large chambers.

Tank guns are almost the opposite in that they prefer fixed charges of extremely high density propellants.

Yet again, showing how ignorant i am, what are good sights where I can go to to learn so i dont make an idiot out of myself like i constantly do.

This place is pretty forgiving of beginner questions, so just asking here is fine. Everyone is ignorant about subjects they're just starting out in.

Not everyone can be born with the knowledge of tanks I'm bedded in their genetic code like me and Kyiv.

Also my all times faves tank is the Leopard 1A5DK.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu May 04, 2017 11:07 am

Doing a command/scout vehicle thing. Nice and angled all over, including a V hull. Lots of big wheels and a big engine for keeping up with the tanks without needing dumb tracks.

Also there's only room for two crewmen, the commander and driver. Is that enough people? I'm not really familiar with how armoured command vehicles operate at different levels or whatever.

Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Thu May 04, 2017 11:08 am

Fordorsia wrote:Doing a command/scout vehicle thing. Nice and angled all over, including a V hull. Lots of big wheels and a big engine for keeping up with the tanks without needing dumb tracks.

Also there's only room for two crewmen, the commander and driver. Is that enough people? I'm not really familiar with how armoured command vehicles operate at different levels or whatever.

(Image)

Command? No, nowhere near enough crew. Scout? Sure.
Leopard 1 IRL

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu May 04, 2017 11:11 am

pls explain command vehicles then.

Including command version of tanks. How does this not have enough crew for commanding, but command tanks do? Aren't the crewmen doing their normal jobs, not helping command or whatever?

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu May 04, 2017 11:11 am

You need at least 3 guys plus a radio operator in the back, along with space for maps, radios, a desk and a tent. The command tank is there so the battalion commander can scream at his company commanders in the field in a heavily protected vehicle.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Thu May 04, 2017 11:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu May 04, 2017 11:28 am

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:You need at least 3 guys plus a radio operator in the back, along with space for maps, radios, a desk and a tent. The command tank is there so the battalion commander can scream at his company commanders in the field in a heavily protected vehicle.

Why three plus the radio operator? Why not the commander, radio operator and driver? I've extended the rear so that it could comfortable hold two in the back, and maybe three in a pinch or for traveling.

Also this is for like WWII so I dunno how different it would be compared to more modern stuff.

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Thu May 04, 2017 11:33 am

You need to fit the staff there too
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Thu May 04, 2017 11:57 am

command tanks should have a sword scabbard as standard

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu May 04, 2017 11:58 am

Taihei Tengoku wrote:You need to fit the staff there too

But what staff :<<<

Again though, how do command variants of tanks work if regular command vehicles have staff and stuff?

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Thu May 04, 2017 12:00 pm

The tank commander works harder.

It is considered a very demanding position.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu May 04, 2017 12:03 pm

Austrasien wrote:The tank commander works harder.

It is considered a very demanding position.

I take it he's not responsible for as many people as people in command cars though? Like, he's commanding a tank battalion or something?

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Thu May 04, 2017 12:09 pm

It is pretty unusual to see a command tank above the battalion level. The lack of room and staff makes it extremely hard for the commander to do his job in such a large unit.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu May 04, 2017 12:20 pm

I guess that's why command tanks could also have fake guns then.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Thu May 04, 2017 1:11 pm

Fordorsia wrote:

Again though, how do command variants of tanks work if regular command vehicles have staff and stuff?

They take out the gun and put in a small map table and a couple extra seats. M1 Battle Command Vehicle had no gun and a pair of seats for the battalion's S2 and S3. Presumably the LTC would either be a Hardman (TM) and command the tank, or take a position next to the TC in the loader's seat. M2 Battle Command Vehicle was a lot better because they ripped out all the TOWs and all the ammo and replaced it with tables and computers.

The command tank is so that the staff can get an upfront view of the battle without being easily identified as a battalion command post. The LTC would normally just commandeer a tank or IFV otherwise and have a small train of tracked carriers following him otherwise, which is kind of obvious a target.

M1 BCV died somewhere between 1997-2003. 3d Battalion, 66th Armor Regiment apparently received the sole prototype. M2 BCV morphed into Battle Command On The Move and was used by MG Odierno in the 2003 war. United Defense made at least four of the things before the perfidious English bought them.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a522148.pdf
Last edited by Gallia- on Thu May 04, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Thu May 04, 2017 1:14 pm

iirc there was at one point a prototype Merkava which replaced the hull ammunition boxes with 2 or 3 seats plus consoles for command crew

really the future is implantable technology

cranial command and control system
Last edited by Laritaia on Thu May 04, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu May 04, 2017 1:56 pm

Fordorsia wrote:

The commander actually doesn't spend all that much time in the command tank. US tank unit commanders will usually ride in their command APC/IFV and keep their command tank and the XO's tank as spares or reserves. They're there if they need a vehicle to jump into in order to run a reconnaissance in force or something, but generally roomier vehicles are preferred because they're simply better to command from. More space for the command crew, their radios, their maps, etc.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Thu May 04, 2017 1:57 pm

Laritaia wrote:iirc there was at one point a prototype Merkava which replaced the hull ammunition boxes with 2 or 3 seats plus consoles for command crew

really the future is implantable technology

cranial command and control system

the future is artificial telepathy and brains in vats

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

The commander actually doesn't spend all that much time in the command tank. US tank unit commanders will usually ride in their command APC/IFV and keep their command tank and the XO's tank as spares or reserves. They're there if they need a vehicle to jump into in order to run a reconnaissance in force or something, but generally roomier vehicles are preferred because they're simply better to command from. More space for the command crew, their radios, their maps, etc.

LTC A. Tack Always always commands from his Bradley.

When he isn't jumping out of planes that is.

Or getting the Bradley stuck in a wadi.

Or getting gassed by emetics.
Last edited by Gallia- on Thu May 04, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chinevion
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinevion » Fri May 05, 2017 6:23 am

Designed a remote Agl for the tank, would share but unless any of you want to see it, i dont want to post the image so here's a link
Racksha with remot agl

Federated Kingdom of Prussia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Federated Kingdom of Prussia » Fri May 05, 2017 7:02 am

Gallia- wrote:LTC A. Tack Always always commands from his Bradley.

I understood that reference!

On the Tiger I, I was just reading about an action in August of 1944 where four Tigers of Kampfgruppe Schürer were able to trap 25 Soviet tanks and kill 14, somewhere south of Gradnas. How is a scenario like this possible?

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Fri May 05, 2017 7:18 am

Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:

On the Tiger I, I was just reading about an action in August of 1944 where four Tigers of Kampfgruppe Schürer were able to trap 25 Soviet tanks and kill 14, somewhere south of Gradnas. How is a scenario like this possible?

Easily.
I can give complex analysis (But I'm lazy), and the short of it boils down to the Soviet crews not being as good.
Leopard 1 IRL

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Fri May 05, 2017 7:28 am

Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:

Obviously they came out one at a time to be killed.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Fri May 05, 2017 8:52 am

T-34 is like a blind man

Blind therefore easy to kill

Federated Kingdom of Prussia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Federated Kingdom of Prussia » Fri May 05, 2017 9:20 am

Dostanuot Loj wrote:
Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:I understood that reference!

Easily.
I can give complex analysis (But I'm lazy), and the short of it boils down to the Soviet crews not being as good.

complex analysis pls

Fordorsia wrote:T-34 is like a blind man

Blind therefore easy to kill

But IS-2 is supposed to be a Tiger killer or something. Besides, the T-34/85 was available by then, and it had a gun as good as the Tiger on a chassis which frankly was much better for that kind of war.
Last edited by Federated Kingdom of Prussia on Fri May 05, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Fri May 05, 2017 9:26 am

A tank is only as good as its vision. If you're ambushed and can't see anything, having the armour or gun to combat a certain tank won't help.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information