NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation Mk X

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Federated Kingdom of Prussia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Federated Kingdom of Prussia » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:56 am

Before it got slashed, were there plans to mount the XM307/312 on AFVs as replacements for the M2? I assume the XM312 would have largely similar performance, but the 307's got a lot more power behind it.

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:57 am

Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:Before it got slashed, were there plans to mount the XM307/312 on AFVs as replacements for the M2? I assume the XM312 would have largely similar performance, but the 307's got a lot more power behind it.

The XM312 was not intended to fully replace the M2, rather it would have augmented it as a lighter more man portable alternative.

the XM307 howevber would likely have partially or completely replaced the Mk19

Hrstrovokia
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Corporate Police State

Postby Hrstrovokia » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:59 am

Laritaia wrote:
The ROF is a bit misleading, the mortar rounds are still prepped and loaded into the feed tray by hand.

This means that the stated rate can only be achieved during pre prepared fire missions.

automatic charge setting is the unachievable holy grail of mortars.

But what about this:

"Vehicle has an automatic ammunition handling system." From the article. Perhaps RoF is not so misleading?

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:00 am

Laritaia wrote:
Hrstrovokia wrote:Amos 120mm self-propelled mortar system. It's got a twin barreled turret. Max RoF is 24 per minute and can fire up to 14 rounds and leave position before the rounds hit the target simultaneously.

It sounds like an impressive system. What kind of disadvantages come with twin barrel systems? It's not something I've seen adopted in many other forces aside from Finland and Sweden.

The ROF is a bit misleading, the mortar rounds are still prepped and loaded into the feed tray by hand.

This means that the stated rate can only be achieved during pre prepared fire missions.

Gallia- wrote:
IDT you know what facesitting is.

now that Mother Theresa has seen fit to ban "unconventional acts" Bovington has taken steps to prevent Chally 2 from practicing her fetish.

When Putin creates the Eurasian Union, the British will be the first to join.

Tank discrimination will end.

Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:Before it got slashed, were there plans to mount the XM307/312 on AFVs as replacements for the M2? I assume the XM312 would have largely similar performance, but the 307's got a lot more power behind it.

They were both going to be man portable weapons.

Mk 19 would probably have been replaced by Mk 47 though. The US Army wasn't really interested in XM307, but it liked XM312.

Chinevion
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinevion » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:01 am

Gallia- wrote:
Chinevion wrote:For this I might

If I could ban people from this thread &c.

Chinevion wrote:What would the stats for the kpz 70 face sitter be? Peaking over hills with rhinmetel 120mm of murkle.

I do

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:02 am

Hrstrovokia wrote:
Laritaia wrote:

But what about this:

"Vehicle has an automatic ammunition handling system." From the article. Perhaps RoF is not so misleading?

"automatic ammunition handling system" can mean many things, in this case probably refers to the feed tray system which IIRC has a capacity of 4-6 rounds.

it does not have a Crusader-esq fully automated ammunition magazine, and charge setting is still done manually.

Hrstrovokia
Diplomat

Corporate Police State

Postby Hrstrovokia » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:19 am

Laritaia wrote:
"automatic ammunition handling system" can mean many things, in this case probably refers to the feed tray system which IIRC has a capacity of 4-6 rounds.

it does not have a Crusader-esq fully automated ammunition magazine, and charge setting is still done manually.

Ah ok, I see. Thanks for responses!

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Laritaia wrote:
Hrstrovokia wrote:Amos 120mm self-propelled mortar system. It's got a twin barreled turret. Max RoF is 24 per minute and can fire up to 14 rounds and leave position before the rounds hit the target simultaneously.

It sounds like an impressive system. What kind of disadvantages come with twin barrel systems? It's not something I've seen adopted in many other forces aside from Finland and Sweden.

Gallia- wrote:

now that Mother Theresa has seen fit to ban "unconventional acts" Bovington has taken steps to prevent Chally 2 from practicing her fetish.

Wasn't unconventional acts Cameron's thing, I know he sparked the mass face sit in outside parliament.

On the XM307/312 they certainly appeared on a lot of promo and marketing stuff from the DVD onwards but I think that was more "Look it has future guns!" Than representing any actual.plans to use them and once they got binned the ATK 25x59mm chain gun largely replaced them particularly on anything to do with a US RWS.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:32 pm

Crookfur wrote:Wasn't unconventional acts Cameron's thing, I know he sparked the mass face sit in outside parliament.

It was Mother Theresa during her tenure as Home Secretary under Cameron

it's a classic example of her moralizing "oh think of the children!" attitude towards personal freedom

she's essentially the physical manifestation of the nanny state.
Last edited by Laritaia on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:46 pm

Sweden is looking to replace it with a new system called Mjolnr. It apparently does not work very well, but the problems seem to be the ammunition handling system.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:53 pm

I wonder how much more useful AMOS/Mjolner is compared to something like Cardom. I guess the enclosed turret allows it to fire in ~contaminated environments~ but Cardom is simpler and actually faster when you consider it's only running one tube.
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Chinevion
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinevion » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:01 pm

FINALLY I THINK I MIGHT BE ON TO SOMETHING

Rhodesialund
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:05 pm

Gallia- wrote:Mjolnir is hideous though.

Warning: NSFH.

Gah, that's uglier than Amy Schumer in a drag race dressed up as a pride parade transvestite Hitler. Couldn't they just make one that looks sexy? Function follows form.
Name: Valintina/Tina
Bio: President Donald Trump's Concubine

Chinevion
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinevion » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:13 pm

Chinevion wrote:(Image)

Need to add a sixth runner by the front wheel

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:35 pm

The return rollers need to be smaller.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Chinevion
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinevion » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:38 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:

Then then it is ok? AM I FREEEEEE
HAVE A VIDEO OF MY DOGS EVERYONE
https://imgur.com/gallery/XuVrDml
Last edited by Chinevion on Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:46 pm

Chinevion wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

Then then it is ok? AM I FREEEEEE

I don't have anything in that scale to compare it with.

I mean, all of the issues from before remain: the wheels are small and widely spaced, and the sprocket has very few teeth which means you will need an excessively large track pitch.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Chinevion
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinevion » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:51 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Chinevion wrote:Then then it is ok? AM I FREEEEEE

I mean, all of the issues from before remain: the wheels are small and widely spaced, and the sprocket has very few teeth which means you will need an excessively large track pitch.

Right, when I get on tomorrow ill increase the size and add a seventh wheel?

Chinevion
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinevion » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:54 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Chinevion wrote:Then then it is ok? AM I FREEEEEE

The rear wheel will have a grill over it anyway.

Chinevion
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinevion » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:54 am

I fixed the track, and the tanks hull is coming along, the shape is very unique with the turret siting on an angled frontal slope. this is for allowing a extreamly effective hull down and a gun depression of -18-20 degress. Cant wait to share it with yall

I'm taking some influence from Image by http://voughtvindicator.deviantart.com/art/CCZ-99-591581462.
The tank as a whole will completely different.
Thinking about adding a side or rear compartment for a injured soldier, or walk on infantry shields, but only on later varients. I'm doing the outline and all the drawing in ms paint and coloring, shading, camo and scening on Photoshop.

Pros to this design:
Good sloping
Exilent gun depression and Hull down,
More room for a larger engine
Exilent long range engadgment

Cons:
1.High turret profile makes the tank vanurable to a shot being angled down through coupala
2.Light armor
3.Visible turret ring
4.Almost no rear gun depression.

Solutions:
1. There is none. Maybe add additional armor on Coupula? What do you guys think
2. negate with copius era add ons and inserts and good Special/composit armor
3. Add on turret ring armor in uparmored varients
4. No fix, supporting Jaats in the four tank platoon would have to defend.

Overview:
Great long range engagment ability but mediocre close range ability
Great hull down. Large turret profile, but amazing gun depression as a benefit.
Bad armor relying on range, hardkill and era for protection.

What do you think?
Would this design yield any advantages for the Racksha? Would I be better sticking to a regular design? Am I stupid for trying to design tanks that dont follow similar designs to the tanks designed for the best armies by the most qualified designers in the world?

Edit, I just realized that if the ring is on an angle, the turret would rotate on an angle, meaning they would be incapable of firing behind it as the gun would point up into the sky.
I also just looked back at the photo, the turret would not be able to rotate to behind, but the turret could rotate a little more then a 180 degree angle. At the ranges the tank would be engaging targets, it might not mater if the turret could rotate directly backwards, but it is a major detriment to the design. What I'm thinking the artist was thinking is the ring itself is angled, but the turret does not rotate on an angle. Is there anyway to prevent all these problems or should I just design a more traditional tank
Last edited by Chinevion on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:28 am

Purpelia wrote:It's serious question time, with Purpelia.

This time around here is a serious historical question for you guys that like to worldbuild. After WW1 pretty much everyone who could afford to started looking at tanks and trying to figure out how to use them. And in this period of vacuum until the start of WW2 many different and widely divergent doctrines and classifications of tanks emerged.
You had the english with their cruisers and infantry tanks and the French with their split between cavalry and infantry. Than you have those like the americans who saw tanks as effectively SPGs and wanted a separate tank destroyer branch or the Germans who wanted a single main combat tank (the Panzer III) supported by a number of support vehicles (Panzer IV) and an entire separate branch of infantry assault guns. Etc. Etc.

So the question of the day is what is your national doctrine for tanks in the period leading up to WW2. How do you divide your tanks and why? What sort of tanks would they have been in terms of weight, armament and general characteristics and requirements. And how did it evolve from the period of unsprung trench crossing monstrosities to the mighty armored steeds of WW2?

I will work on a post for Purpelia whilst I await your replies. But for now, key word is: Cuirassier Grenadier.

First: Most nations actually paid little more than lip service to tanks in the interbellum. Shrinking budgets and a bunch of military culture shifts meant it often got sidelined and ignored. The few experiments that happened were not taken seriously, and we only look at them favourably in hindsight.

Second, your real question: Sumerian tank development starts out very similar to early French development, as mobile and protected artillery. This changes rather quickly and there is a split between tanks which are designed to provide firepower against other targets, and tanks designed to kill other tanks (gun tanks). The difference is not that pronounced though, they are mixed at battalion or even company and platoon level depending on the year, and are often just the same vehicle with a different gun.

Sumerian tanks always had suspension. There was never a point in Sumerian history where the advantages which drew the British to the suspensionless rhomboids were necessary. The first Sumerian tanks have a strong resemblance to the first French tanks actually.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Rhodesialund
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:02 pm

Gallia- wrote:It's actually form follows function.

*rejects said principle then circlejerks about how function follows form is the best*
Name: Valintina/Tina
Bio: President Donald Trump's Concubine

Autonomous Eastern Ukraine
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Autonomous Eastern Ukraine » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:34 pm

Function over form but I still don't like fugly tanks.
I use NS stats for government but not GDP and population.
Lawful Neutral
Scored 76% Law vs Chaos and 56% Good vs Evil.

“Misdirecting your allies too? By the way those random islands don’t even have garrisons, what if the Japanese land troops? They’d destroy most of the USAAF!” - Eisenhower
"A trillion gigabytes of data, none of it useful! Though some... oddly engrossing."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information