NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation Mk X

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Iltica
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Iltica » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:03 pm

Fordorsia wrote:Making an 8.5mm NotMG 15 hull mount for some reason with a bigger, 120 round saddle drum and aimed with periscopes. Might do something with it since it's sexier and its fire rate is much coolerer than the NotM1919.

It's a ball turret at an angle so these specs are for perfectly vertical/horizontal movement. 7 degrees depression, theoretical 42 degrees elevation, 15 degrees traverse either side. I think that's pretty good. The field of fire could be wider if the magazine was standard size but after watching people fire the MG 15, the ammo goes pretty fast.

The plate it's in is 100mm at 18 degrees making it 110mm effective, the ball is 230mm, the rings holding the ball in are 40mm, and the plate on the barrel for stopping MG fire from damaging and potentially jamming the ball is 20mm.

You might have made it a little too sexy
Last edited by Iltica on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaotic-stupid

Isms trading card collection:
Cosmicism
Malthusianism
Georgism
Antinatalism

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:47 am

Iltica wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:Making an 8.5mm NotMG 15 hull mount for some reason with a bigger, 120 round saddle drum and aimed with periscopes. Might do something with it since it's sexier and its fire rate is much coolerer than the NotM1919.

It's a ball turret at an angle so these specs are for perfectly vertical/horizontal movement. 7 degrees depression, theoretical 42 degrees elevation, 15 degrees traverse either side. I think that's pretty good. The field of fire could be wider if the magazine was standard size but after watching people fire the MG 15, the ammo goes pretty fast.

The plate it's in is 100mm at 18 degrees making it 110mm effective, the ball is 230mm, the rings holding the ball in are 40mm, and the plate on the barrel for stopping MG fire from damaging and potentially jamming the ball is 20mm.

You might have made it a little too sexy

ew perv
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Ardavia
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardavia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:44 am

105mm L/45, 1900mm turret ring, a 7.5mm coaxial machine gun, three-man crew (TC, gunner, driver), IR night sight with a spotlight, the daylight sight is variable zoom and has like 4x-12x magnification, etc etc

are 540mm wide tracks adequate, and is 6.5m3 enough space for a powerpack?
Last edited by Ardavia on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
professional contrarian
for: whatever you are against
against: whatever you are for

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:50 am

Soviet style autoloader I presume?
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Ardavia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardavia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:51 am

Purpelia wrote:Soviet style autoloader I presume?

yes
professional contrarian

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:54 am

Where is the fixed hull MG tho you amateur

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:54 am

Ardavia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Soviet style autoloader I presume?

yes

So this thing is contemporary with what, the T-64?

Fordorsia wrote:Where is the fixed hull MG tho you amateur

Because hull MGs are entirely useless in every possible role other than scaring infantry to keep their heads down for long enough to allow your tank to stop and use its semi or unstabilized guns to do some actual shooting. And for that you really don't need too much fancy mobility. Not unless you go all british and actually give the thing a proper sight and everything. And you are not doing that either.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:04 am

what a nub

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:07 am

Fordorsia wrote:what a nub

Comet MG best MG. End of story.

Ardavia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardavia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:08 am

Purpelia wrote:
Ardavia wrote:
yes

So this thing is contemporary with what, the T-64?

I envision it as being introduced in the early 60s, so yes
professional contrarian

Ban Pho
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 20, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Ban Pho » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:45 am

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:50 am

Ban Pho wrote:What are those vehicle in 1:53?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTsRw_O ... be&t=1m53s

YW 531 with a flamethrower in the back
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:53 am

Wondering if there's any real practical difference between a belt fed hull gun and one with a 120 round saddle drum. In fact it seems that in a pinch the drum would be much faster to reload, and doesn't require as much space as it has no top cover.

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:56 am

The saddle mags weren't as reliable as belts

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:34 am

By how much? I don't recall seeing any issues in videos I've seen of it shooting.

Also got rid of its heatshield and gave it a much thicket barrel
Last edited by Fordorsia on Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:04 pm

Could you get a functional vehicle by mounting the turret off an AMX-13-105 on to the hull of a T-34?

Federated Kingdom of Prussia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Federated Kingdom of Prussia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:18 pm

Purpelia wrote:Could you get a functional vehicle by mounting the turret off an AMX-13-105 on to the hull of a T-34?

I doubt it. The T-34-100 was a ridiculous design alone. Putting an AMX turret is basically giving yourself a less capable chassis(prewar chassis and postwar turret?) with a turret not for the tank it was originally designed for. It's possible, with the T-34-100 and T-34-122 existing, but if you have the option I don't see why you wouldn't go with the T-55 or, if you prefer, Comet/Centurion.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:18 pm

Unless it takes up too much room in the hull, I don't see why not. I don't know how big the 105's turret ring is but it can't be any larger than the T-84-85 or 100's
Last edited by Fordorsia on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Federated Kingdom of Prussia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Federated Kingdom of Prussia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:23 pm

The ammo is also a lot bigger, but that might be a secondary concern.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:37 pm

Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:The ammo is also a lot bigger, but that might be a secondary concern.

12 rounds to play with in the magazine

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:53 pm

Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Could you get a functional vehicle by mounting the turret off an AMX-13-105 on to the hull of a T-34?

I doubt it. The T-34-100 was a ridiculous design alone. Putting an AMX turret is basically giving yourself a less capable chassis(prewar chassis and postwar turret?) with a turret not for the tank it was originally designed for. It's possible, with the T-34-100 and T-34-122 existing, but if you have the option I don't see why you wouldn't go with the T-55 or, if you prefer, Comet/Centurion.

Mostly because it would be an upgrade package to keep old tanks in service as light/second rate vehicles in support of what my army would be adopting as a new tank in the 50's. Something to pad out the numbers, so to say. And that new tank would be a medium with an AMX-13 style oscillating turret and a 108mm main gun.

And since I am yet to come up with a proper design for either my WW2 tank or my 50's tank other than the fact that the WW2 one is inspired by the T-34 and the later one is inspired by "what if you put more armor on an AMX-13" I figured that my description would be as good an approximation as I could get.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:46 pm

Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:

I asked first!
Hurtful Thoughts wrote:So, um, I've been reminded I've got a region as a protectate with a bunch of old T-34-76s.

And I've got a fair amount of AMX-13-105 / SK-105 turrets.

Are these turret-rings compatable? Can we haz a T-34-105? Weld a KPV to the turret-roof as an external coax? Replace hull MG with a flamethrower for "crowd dispersal"?
-Thankfully, swapping ammo racks gives me an excuse to get rid of the old rotted-out ammo-boxes.

The main reason being that the T-34's engine is WAY easier to maintain in teh field than the AMX-13s when it finally does break (espcially in ex-soviet states), and the T-34 hull provides better armor.

A Leo 1A5 style mantlet would probably bring things up to par with most tanks available until the 1980s.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:47 pm

T-34 is a piece of shit though

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Fordorsia wrote:T-34 is a piece of shit though

And the VTT & AMX-13 hull was a nightmare to keep running and/or mothball.

The T-34 has a rear mounted engine and sprocket, the AMX-13 had everything mounted in the front.

T-34 chassis is inherently superior. As pointed-out earlier.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:53 pm

The T-34 is fantastic. Although by the time I am done with it the resulting vehicle is going to look more like something that came out of 30's France than anything else. But that's life.

Like. You know the French obsession with one turret fits all? Think one hull fits all but different turrets. Infantry tank? Turret 1, big gun. Cavalry tank? Turret 2, 40mm AP. Tank destroyer? Casemate bigger gun?! Mid war medium tank? Yet another turret. So by the time I reach the 50's the obvious option is to take the new tank in my arsenal and stick its turret back on the old work horse.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information