NATION

PASSWORD

OOC: Laser weapons in MT and PMT: A brief FAQ

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Axis Nova
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Nova » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:14 am

Thanks, Czardas. I actually wanted that in the first place, but it was made it's own sticky instead vOv

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:10 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10682693?ls I'd suggest updating this since I remember reading in your OP about the disadvantages of solid state lasers. The CIWS is a solid state which can be effectively used against UAV's, missiles, mortars, rockets, and sink small ships. A video is included in the link showing it being used.
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."-Oscar Wilde

Defcon 5: Pax Hegstoriana
Defcon 4: Ehh, things are pretty good, but a bit heated
Defcon 3: War seems near, but not at the moment, and far from the mind
Defcon 2: Get a helmet
Defcon 1: Put on said helmet

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

Map: -currently under a redesign-

Size: 7,825,600 km^2

Life Expectancy: 84.59 years Courtesy of Unibot

Alliances: Skyguard Defense Network

embassy program

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:35 am

Hegstoria wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10682693?ls I'd suggest updating this since I remember reading in your OP about the disadvantages of solid state lasers. The CIWS is a solid state which can be effectively used against UAV's, missiles, mortars, rockets, and sink small ships. A video is included in the link showing it being used.

Noticed it was made by Raytheon, so are they talking about LADS?
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
Proud Member and Co-Founder of the MDISC Alliance
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Bottle wrote:This is not rocket surgery, folks.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

Jagalonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:38 pm

Regarding a space laser, if I powered one with...say...3 nuclear power plants, do you believe that would provide enough energy to say...knock a satalite out?
Tokyoni wrote:Hitler's mustache looks weird. Adam Smith was a drunken fatass. There, I've just pwned fascism and capitalism by such "logic".
Edlichbury wrote:OOC: If Knootoss can claim alcohol is a biological weapon, I can claim sentient Milk-People.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:
Computer Land wrote:I don't want someone hacking my fridge :meh:

fridge.setTempC(100);
sysout("I'm melting! I'm meeeeelting! Oh what a world, what world!");
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
I am a Magnificent Titan who likes to Devour Heroes
All tech.

Salzland
Ambassador

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salzland » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:03 pm

Jagalonia wrote:Regarding a space laser, if I powered one with...say...3 nuclear power plants, do you believe that would provide enough energy to say...knock a satalite out?

If you want a ground-based laser, you might as well just stick with a chemical laser similar to what is equipped on board the Boeing YAL-1 aircraft. The United States has "intercepted" (I use the term losely, because the actual laser strike knocked out the testing sensors as well as the satellite) at least one satellite using a ground-based one megawatt chemical laser. A solid state laser with a comparable energy output would, logically, achieve similar results.

That being said, three nuclear reactors would be a hideous amount of overkill for attacking a satellite, unless you're going for something in High Earth Orbit. Basically the only things up that high are communications satellites. Certainly a small diesel power plant would be able to meet the energy requirements for a one megawatt laser, and would be much less blatant about what was going on than three nuclear power plants would be.
The Armed Republic of Salzland (Citizen: Salzlander)
    Proud ODECON Member
    Dagora Doctrine Signatory
    CASTLE Accords Signatory
    Polaris Initiative Member
    Akiwealth Member

Embassies: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1134

Flag Courtesy Of Fictions
Risk Management Incorporated: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55886

And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes and heroines found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, ODECON was born—to fight the foes no single nation could withstand! Through the years, their roster has prospered, changing many times, but their glory has never been denied! Heed the call, then—for now, ODEVENGERS Assemble!

Retired Roleplaying Mentor

Jagalonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Salzland wrote:
Jagalonia wrote:Regarding a space laser, if I powered one with...say...3 nuclear power plants, do you believe that would provide enough energy to say...knock a satalite out?

If you want a ground-based laser, you might as well just stick with a chemical laser similar to what is equipped on board the Boeing YAL-1 aircraft. The United States has "intercepted" (I use the term losely, because the actual laser strike knocked out the testing sensors as well as the satellite) at least one satellite using a ground-based one megawatt chemical laser. A solid state laser with a comparable energy output would, logically, achieve similar results.

That being said, three nuclear reactors would be a hideous amount of overkill for attacking a satellite, unless you're going for something in High Earth Orbit. Basically the only things up that high are communications satellites. Certainly a small diesel power plant would be able to meet the energy requirements for a one megawatt laser, and would be much less blatant about what was going on than three nuclear power plants would be.

So...Basicaly...You're saying the laser I suggested could put another crater in the moon? lol.
Tokyoni wrote:Hitler's mustache looks weird. Adam Smith was a drunken fatass. There, I've just pwned fascism and capitalism by such "logic".
Edlichbury wrote:OOC: If Knootoss can claim alcohol is a biological weapon, I can claim sentient Milk-People.
Senestrum wrote:Russians took the maximum allowable missile performances from the ABM treaty as design goals.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:

fridge.setTempC(100);
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
All tech.

Salzland
Ambassador

Founded: May 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salzland » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:29 pm

I don't know that I'd go that far. It would certainly not be practical (and perhaps not even possible) to build a laser aparatus outside of FT that would be able to focus that much energy into a coherent, sustained beam. We're talking about something along the lines of (potentially) three gigawatts, which is a lot of energy. Just trying to run the electricity to the laser would probably cause the wiring and equipment (especially the computers, etcetera) to overload and fry.

Nor would such a laser blow a crater in anything. Lasers (at least in MT) operate as, essentially, a glorified blow torch that will eventually burn through its target over the course of seconds. Increasing the power and decreasing the distance to the target will increase the speed at which this happens. Based on the distance and rotational velocities involved, if such a laser could even be built and if it had the range to reach the moon, at most you would probably be able to heat up the topsoil by a degree or two.

If you really want to put craters in something, just bomb it.
The Armed Republic of Salzland (Citizen: Salzlander)
    Proud ODECON Member
    Dagora Doctrine Signatory
    CASTLE Accords Signatory
    Polaris Initiative Member
    Akiwealth Member

Embassies: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1134

Flag Courtesy Of Fictions
Risk Management Incorporated: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55886

And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes and heroines found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, ODECON was born—to fight the foes no single nation could withstand! Through the years, their roster has prospered, changing many times, but their glory has never been denied! Heed the call, then—for now, ODEVENGERS Assemble!

Retired Roleplaying Mentor

Jagalonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:34 pm

I realze that a weapon of that size would be horrible overkill...But don't you ever want to do something just to say you did it? Ever been at a cocktail party with other national leaders and be able to say "I built a laser that can blast all your satalites out of the sky." No one can trump that. :P

Anyways, This information has been useful, Thank you.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:

fridge.setTempC(100);
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
All tech.

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:58 pm

Did anyone else hear about the test of the 15kw US Navy laser which roasted a pair of outboard motors on a skiff in salty mist air in 4-foot raging waves- from a mile away?
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:14 pm

Wikipedia and Universe wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10682693?ls I'd suggest updating this since I remember reading in your OP about the disadvantages of solid state lasers. The CIWS is a solid state which can be effectively used against UAV's, missiles, mortars, rockets, and sink small ships. A video is included in the link showing it being used.

Noticed it was made by Raytheon, so are they talking about LADS?

yes

obv
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11
I love Rebecca Black

EternalNight
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 15, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby EternalNight » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:16 pm

The Soviet Technocracy wrote:
Wikipedia and Universe wrote:Noticed it was made by Raytheon, so are they talking about LADS?

yes

obv

I believe LADS is now being called Centurion. But yeah, same system.
You think when you die you go to Heaven or Hell...
You come to US!

Hallowed are the First Triune

ΜΘΓ

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:17 pm

EternalNight wrote:
yes

obv

sounds dumb

i liked LADS better

made it sound like a laser based C-RAM
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11
I love Rebecca Black

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:20 am

Nice FAQ Axis. My region's RMB had 'issues' a while back when 3 or 4 nations decided to inexplicably acquire vast space fleets and orbital laser artillery - and then glassed an entire nation with them :blink:
There was a huge lecture on economy and military funding (thank you NSE), and it was 'sorted'.

Also, you said you wouldn't entertain the notion of using smoke to confuse lasers. If you were to use a 'smoke' generated chemically and impregnated with a metallic crystal (perhaps silver iodide?), I feel that this would be effective at dispersing at least some of the energy of such a laser. Slight countermeasure would be more effective than no countermeasure whatsoever.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

New Hayesalia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Hayesalia » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:28 am

Would the power from unadulterated solar power on a satellite produce enough power?
Last edited by New Hayesalia on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:52 am

New Hayesalia wrote:Would the power from unadulterated solar power on a satellite produce enough power?

If you have enough solar collectors, I see no reason why this wouldn't be the case. It might be more effective to simply focus the sunlight than use it to power a laser. It would certainly be massively more efficient - most mass-produced solar cells are around 10% efficient, 'high grade' is regarded as 20-30% and experimental models have only reached around 46% unconfirmed peak efficiency.
Call me Para.
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).

Jagalonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:53 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
New Hayesalia wrote:Would the power from unadulterated solar power on a satellite produce enough power?

If you have enough solar collectors, I see no reason why this wouldn't be the case. It might be more effective to simply focus the sunlight than use it to power a laser. It would certainly be massively more efficient - most mass-produced solar cells are around 10% efficient, 'high grade' is regarded as 20-30% and experimental models have only reached around 46% unconfirmed peak efficiency.

Didn't mythbusters smash Archimedes' weapon though? I remember they did a bit on it, and Jamie was standing right in the light, he's still fine...
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:

fridge.setTempC(100);
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
All tech.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:24 am

Jagalonia wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:If you have enough solar collectors, I see no reason why this wouldn't be the case. It might be more effective to simply focus the sunlight than use it to power a laser. It would certainly be massively more efficient - most mass-produced solar cells are around 10% efficient, 'high grade' is regarded as 20-30% and experimental models have only reached around 46% unconfirmed peak efficiency.

Didn't mythbusters smash Archimedes' weapon though? I remember they did a bit on it, and Jamie was standing right in the light, he's still fine...

That involved a few mirrors on the ground. If we had a focusing device (not necessarily even mirrors - even if they were mirrors, problems on the ground of surface contamination would shrink to almost nil) in orbit, where there's no atmospheric interference on the sun's energy, it would certainly be far more effective.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Jagalonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jagalonia » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:57 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Jagalonia wrote:Didn't mythbusters smash Archimedes' weapon though? I remember they did a bit on it, and Jamie was standing right in the light, he's still fine...

That involved a few mirrors on the ground. If we had a focusing device (not necessarily even mirrors - even if they were mirrors, problems on the ground of surface contamination would shrink to almost nil) in orbit, where there's no atmospheric interference on the sun's energy, it would certainly be far more effective.

Still, it will be a while untill we can effectively use that kind of technology.
lolz ensued
Ifreann wrote:

fridge.setTempC(100);
I'm Amish...Problem?
Unsigable. >.>
All tech.

Centropyge
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Centropyge » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:58 am

Wikipedia and Universe wrote:Did anyone else hear about the test of the 15kw US Navy laser which roasted a pair of outboard motors on a skiff in salty mist air in 4-foot raging waves- from a mile away?

Yes. My brother showed that to me, and I promptly realized that, as a PMT nation, I had better get to work revamping the CIWS systems on any new Royal Navy ships and probably should begin refits of older vessels before long as well--or come up with a good RP reason why my ships DON'T have lasers. :D

To the OP...looks like a good guide!!! I hadn't considered lasers a viable MT/PMT weapon until recently. I now think I will have to do my due diligence and look into this.
http://www.nswiki.net/index.php?title=Centropyge
Roleplay population: 121 million, plus colonies
Alliances joined:Anti-Terrorism Alliance, Protestant Union

Friends of the Empire: Alexiandra, Norfsex, West Reich, and the nations of Pleasant Plain.

Enemies of the State: the Ryouese Black Islands, Wang Fire, Greater Tezdrian

Active Wars: War against alien invasion, Ongoing mission in Talibastain/Capitalist Unity

Active Humanitarian Missions: none

Letters of Marque granted against: Quavv
Colonies: Anson Bay Colony, Middlegate, Nordmaark, and Riddermaark
Dominions: Stingray Atoll, Albemarle Isles

Otagia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Otagia » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:29 pm

Wikipedia and Universe wrote:Did anyone else hear about the test of the 15kw US Navy laser which roasted a pair of outboard motors on a skiff in salty mist air in 4-foot raging waves- from a mile away?

Over the course of a minute and a half, when a guy with a Barrett could have holed both with one round. Not precisely impressive.

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Otagia wrote:

Over the course of a minute and a half, when a guy with a Barrett could have holed both with one round. Not precisely impressive.

To be fair it was more of a proof-of-concept test than anything. They are looking at up-gunning the laser even more over time.
EternalNight wrote:

sounds dumb

i liked LADS better

made it sound like a laser based C-RAM

I think it's still called LADS. Centurion is a land-based Phalanx mounted on a flatbed truck to fend off rocket attacks and such. When they started breeding it with MTHEL technology, people started calling it the "laser Centurion".

Delmire
Attaché

Founded: Mar 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Delmire » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:56 pm

I heard that to use the stronger end of the spectrum your actually into invisible light, you cant see the laser (like microwaves etc.)
is that true?
Georgism wrote:Oh sweet merciful fuck.

Axis Nova
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Nova » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:21 pm

Infrared and ultraviolet lasers are indeed invisible to the naked eye.

Otagia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Otagia » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:04 am

To be fair, you typically can't see the laser anyhow, unless it's passing through fog or some such (or it's obscenely powerful). Otherwise, you won't get enough backscatter off the air it's passing through to render it visible.

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:31 pm

Axis Nova wrote:Infrared and ultraviolet lasers are indeed invisible to the naked eye.

Dur! They're not in my spectrum.
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information