NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 10: Shovel Edition [NO FWORDS]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:06 pm

A question. Anyone who cares about military stuff knows about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Join ... _Symbology
But can anyone point me at a decent free online source about similar systems used by other nations in modern or earlier times. Like what was the Soviet system like, or WW2 German or say WW1 Japanese? What standard did they use to doodle down war diagrams?
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:07 pm

The manuals are on the Internet. At least for Russian and probably German. Japanese who_knows, ask Anemos or Taihei Tengoku maybe? You'd just have to be literate in Russian, German, or Japanese, assuming someone hasn't translated them, which is the only major barrier.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:13 pm

Gallia- wrote:The manuals are on the Internet. At least for Russian and probably German. Japanese who_knows, ask Anemos or Taihei Tengoku maybe? You'd just have to be literate in Russian, German, or Japanese, assuming someone hasn't translated them, which is the only major barrier.

I'll manage at least some of those languages just fine if someone can give me any idea just what I should be searching for. Like basically I could just type in WW2 Germany army manual or something generic like that and pray. But that's a last resort for obvious reasons. And I figure one of you has to have had some interest in this and thus probably has a link or two stashed away. I also figured that I'd get the most exposure for my question on this thread.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:35 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:why is this thread still going lel

Cause I need somewhere to post my exceptionally intermittant crap black powder wank
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:10 pm

Whilst browsing for sources I did run into this: http://niehorster.org/index.htm

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:35 am

talk about swords
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:19 am

Fordorsia wrote:

talk about swords

And spears.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Puzikas » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:13 am

Gallia- wrote:The manuals are on the Internet. At least for Russian and probably German. Japanese who_knows, ask Anemos or Taihei Tengoku maybe? You'd just have to be literate in Russian, German, or Japanese, assuming someone hasn't translated them, which is the only major barrier.

There's several manuals for the Russian and Soviet system
Some are extremely complicated.
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

Free-Don
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Free-Don » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:46 am

Kazarogkai wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:
talk about swords

And spears.

I'm gonna ask about both kinda.

To be short my nation was made for me and my brother as a fan creation for RWBY. Where our magical OC's are supposed to exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQS1_3QWt1Q
It took the series until volume 3 for any character to show their aura breaking and from then it's become a common thing. Punching, kicking, a couple sword hits and lots of "dust pistol" rounds seem to now be able to destroy aura completely.

I want to know if Infantry weapons would stagnate with the presence of magic armor?

What type of formations, combat tactics, etc. would be nesscary to win a fight?

How intensive should H2H combat training be?

Currently my work around is using solid kinetic AP bullets even in pistols such as 6.5x25mm cbj and and light weapons integrated at the squad level.
Last edited by Free-Don on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:27 am

Puzikas wrote:

There's several manuals for the Russian and Soviet system
Some are extremely complicated.

Isn't the Russian system supposed to be really intuitive or something?

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:47 am

NATO map symbols are more elegant in my opinion. Soviet/Russian symbols have no organic indicator of the size of the formations depicted AFAICT and require a lot more annotations. Which creates clutter especially when it tries to depict the movements of units and the movements of subunits at once.

The Germans had a a fairly similar system to the Russians from what I remember.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:58 am

Intuitive, but complicated.

Goodbye.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:59 am

I like how the Soviet maps show flow of units, but I agree that the inability to show composition is a bit gross. NATO maps with flow diagrams look like amateur hour in comparison tbh, even if the icons themselves are probably superior.

There must be some way to combine them!

Don't spoil it for me I'll figure it out myself too.
Last edited by Gallia- on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:17 pm

The modern Russian maps use some NATO assets.

The map course is like four days worth of material

Goodbye.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Austrasien wrote:(Image)
(Image)
(Image)
(Image)

NATO map symbols are more elegant in my opinion. Soviet/Russian symbols have no organic indicator of the size of the formations depicted AFAICT and require a lot more annotations. Which creates clutter especially when it tries to depict the movements of units and the movements of subunits at once.

The Germans had a a fairly similar system to the Russians from what I remember.

Cool thanks! That is awesome!

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:23 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:
talk about swords

And spears.

spears are trash

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:24 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Kazarogkai wrote:
And spears.

spears are trash

Spears and other polearms are the ultimate infantry melee weapon.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:25 pm

spears

are

trash

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Fordorsia wrote:spears

are

trash

Spears are the greatest invention to grace war before the advent of heavy artillery.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:37 pm

Gladius + Scutum > pointed sticks

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Fordorsia wrote:Gladius + Scutum > pointed sticks

Than why did the romans use throwing spears?

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:43 pm

Purpelia wrote:throwing spears

Last edited by Kyrusia on Wed May 10, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoilered image.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Why is you so threatened by long stiff pointy sticks?

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:50 pm

The polearm was the most democratic weapon on the battlefield until the advent of the musket.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:56 pm

Fordorsia wrote:spears

are

trash

Can't beat tens of thousands of years of history.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics