NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 10: Shovel Edition [NO FWORDS]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neo Balka
Minister

Founded: Feb 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Balka » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:31 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Neo Balka wrote:Welp.

i just saw someone on NSG advocate for a field brothel.

Purp would be proud.

and i am no longer surprised by anything.

You do realize that military brothels, field or base are nothing new and have existed since time immemorial? Like the French used them at least up until the end of their involvement in Vietnam.

im just surprised that someone on NSG advocated for it, although i didnt know that they were still in use as late as the indochina conflict.

Fascinating, almost as fascinating as the french army adopting the fucking HK416.
The mere fact that i pissed someone off either means i stood for something or i said something offensive.
in this day and age it's both.
#garbagehumanbeing

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:38 pm

Neo Balka wrote:
Purpelia wrote:You do realize that military brothels, field or base are nothing new and have existed since time immemorial? Like the French used them at least up until the end of their involvement in Vietnam.

im just surprised that someone on NSG advocated for it, although i didnt know that they were still in use as late as the indochina conflict.

Fascinating, almost as fascinating as the french army adopting the fucking HK416.

Really what's different about me is how I employ them.
Basically, instead of having dedicated sex workers I just sort of have my line troops volunteer for the job in exchange for it counting against things like time on watch, digging latrines and extra benefits in general. I figure that would work if it was tried IRL assuming that the troops are an unnaturally even mix of males and females which mine are due to unrealistic lore reasons.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Neo Balka
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Balka » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Neo Balka wrote:

Really what's different about me is how I employ them.
Basically, instead of having dedicated sex workers I just sort of have my line troops volunteer for the job in exchange for it counting against things like time on watch, digging latrines and extra benefits in general. I figure that would work if it was tried IRL assuming that the troops are an unnaturally even mix of males and females which mine are due to unrealistic lore reasons.

Ah.
The mere fact that i pissed someone off either means i stood for something or i said something offensive.
#garbagehumanbeing

Norcourt
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 04, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Norcourt » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:21 pm

Did a thing...

A PROUD MEMBER OF THE FEDERATION OF ALLIES!
Host nation of Nuza

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:38 pm

nations on NS don't have to follow conventional 21st century western ideals and morals

if it fits in with the theme and setting of the nation they are describing then i don't see what the issue is

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:23 pm

During the Battle of Saipan, how was it that the Japanese troops' final bayonet charge into the US lines was successful in destroying multiple American battalions when banzai charges were almost always cut to pieces in most other battles when they were performed?
militant radical centrist in the sheets, neoclassical realist in the streets.
Saving this here so I can peruse it at my leisure.
In IC the Federated Kingdom of Prussia, 1950s-2000s timeline. Prussia backs a third-world Balkans puppet state called Sal Kataria.

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:41 pm

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:During the Battle of Saipan, how was it that the Japanese troops' final bayonet charge into the US lines was successful in destroying multiple American battalions when banzai charges were almost always cut to pieces in most other battles when they were performed?

If it was done at night that could explain things. The Japanese fighting man was well trained and rather adapt at night fighting which would have given them the edge. Mix that in with shear raw surprise and to a degree complacency on the part of the defenders and you got yourself a pretty solid attack.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Western Pacific Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 29, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:41 pm

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:During the Battle of Saipan, how was it that the Japanese troops' final bayonet charge into the US lines was successful in destroying multiple American battalions when banzai charges were almost always cut to pieces in most other battles when they were performed?

Beats me. Maybe the Japanese managed to gather enough troops/civilians for the zerg rush to become effective? The charge at Saipan was the largest ever performed by the Japanese. And it's possible the American battalions were so damaged they were erased in the fight.

Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:42 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:

If it was done at night that could explain things. The Japanese fighting man was well trained and rather adapt at night fighting which would have given them the edge. Mix that in with shear raw surprise and to a degree complacency on the part of the defenders and you got yourself a pretty solid attack.

It didn't exactly occur at night. The charge was launched at dawn.

Neo Balka
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Balka » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:43 pm

Largest and first ever i believe.

Saipan was in 42-43?

EDIT: it was in 44.

mustve been it was so fucking huge i think.
Last edited by Neo Balka on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#garbagehumanbeing

Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Western Pacific Territories » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:49 pm

Neo Balka wrote:

Saipan was in 42-43?

EDIT: in was in 44.

From what I can find 4,300 Japanese died in the charge. However, I'm assuming that this number is just the dead soldiers. Out of a civilian death count of around 22,000, only a thousand seem to have committed suicide on the final day. Considering that just about every civilian was involved in the charge, I'm assuming that anywhere up to 25,000 people were killed at max.

I think that after the fighting beforehand the Americans just couldn't cut them down.

Neo Balka
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Balka » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:55 pm

Western Pacific Territories wrote:
Neo Balka wrote:Largest and first ever i believe.

Saipan was in 42-43?

EDIT: in was in 44.

From what I can find 4,300 Japanese died in the charge. However, I'm assuming that this number is just the dead soldiers. Out of a civilian death count of around 22,000, only a thousand seem to have committed suicide on the final day. Considering that just about every civilian was involved in the charge, I'm assuming that anywhere up to 25,000 people were killed at max.

I think that after the fighting beforehand the Americans just couldn't cut them down.

not all at once.
#garbagehumanbeing

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:56 pm

Western Pacific Territories wrote:It didn't exactly occur at night. The charge was launched at dawn.

A rather common and popular tactic historically. Presents enough light to work under while still helping in obscuring your forces and to a degree neutralizing the enemy's firepower advantage. Plus they had been fighting throughout for quite a while as such I imagine they may have been low on ammo which would only compound onto the problems that they would have.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Neo Balka
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Balka » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:30 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:
Western Pacific Territories wrote:It didn't exactly occur at night. The charge was launched at dawn.

A rather common and popular tactic historically. Presents enough light to work under while still helping in obscuring your forces and to a degree neutralizing the enemy's firepower advantage. Plus they had been fighting throughout for quite a while as such I imagine they may have been low on ammo which would only compound onto the problems that they would have.

Never took the Imperial japanese military to be smart.
#garbagehumanbeing

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Neo Balka wrote:

Saipan was in 42-43?

EDIT: it was in 44.

Largest yes first ever by no means. Banzai charges were fairly effective in China as they could mop up Chinese troops who didn't have that many machine guns or a good chain of command. If you could overrun the forward positions Chinese units tended to shatter and you'd gain a lot of ground fairly quickly--important for countries that don't have time on their side.

The problem in the Pacific War was that many of the good officers and NCOs died in China well before Pearl Harbor and the island garrisons by and large received the chaff of the worsening Japanese leadership schools.
Last edited by Taihei Tengoku on Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Neo Balka
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Balka » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:29 am

Gallia- wrote:
Neo Balka wrote:Welp.

i just saw someone on NSG advocate for a field brothel.

Purp would be proud.

and i am no longer surprised by anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordel_mi ... e_campagne
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recreatio ... ssociation

>Comfort women
>occupied Japan

The irony is palpable.
#garbagehumanbeing

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:03 am

Beats me. Maybe the Japanese managed to gather enough troops/civilians for the zerg rush to become effective? The charge at Saipan was the largest ever performed by the Japanese. And it's possible the American battalions were so damaged they were erased in the fight.

Remember this was done by everybody in WWI against probably the most sophisticated trench system the world has ever seen for about 3 years until somebody figured out infiltration tactics, and just about some times when enough men were thrown against the machine guns the enemy trenches would be taken.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:54 am

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Western Pacific Territories wrote:Beats me. Maybe the Japanese managed to gather enough troops/civilians for the zerg rush to become effective? The charge at Saipan was the largest ever performed by the Japanese. And it's possible the American battalions were so damaged they were erased in the fight.

Remember this was done by everybody in WWI against probably the most sophisticated trench system the world has ever seen for about 3 years until somebody figured out infiltration tactics, and just about some times when enough men were thrown against the machine guns the enemy trenches would be taken.

It says more about the Japanese than anything else. They required 4,300 KIA to take two National Guard battalions with >10:1 loss exchange ratio against. This would qualify as a "win" for the US in RAND's 1990s models.

They lacked sufficient quantity of machine guns and mortars to kill all the Japanese. That's about it.

It wasn't a super high speed, competent operation like the PLA in Korea or anything. The 105th IR actually stopped them, they and the MUHREENS just couldn't cover the ground with enough bullets and shells fast enough to keep the Japanese from running through the regimental HQ and hitting the howitzers behind it. By the time they got to those howitzers, though, it was probably less than 400 dudes. Out of ~4,500-5,000 or so at the start.

The Japanese just had enough bodies to run through the combined kill zone of the 105th IR, their tanks, and the Marines' howitzers. They achieved this and were so depleted by the firepower of the Americans that they were beaten back by second-line artillerists (every sailor Marine a rifleman!) with carbines.

It was completely ineffectual at achieving anything.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:37 am, edited 7 times in total.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:29 am

Because when your average army charges, it's usually not as much of a last resort as what the Japanese situation was on Saipan. If a charging army is taking heavy casualties, it would usually retreat before reaching the defenders. Clearly not the case with those Japanese soldiers, who didn't care about casualties. If you have the numbers and morale, your charge will reach the enemy even in open ground simply by overwhelming them. As well as being the biggest charge it was probably the most successful thanks only to how many men took part.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:10 am

So the only thing the Saipan banzai attack achieved was killing a lot of able Japanese bodies, and the only thing that makes it different is this attack succeeded in killing a few Americans?
militant radical centrist in the sheets, neoclassical realist in the streets.
Saving this here so I can peruse it at my leisure.
In IC the Federated Kingdom of Prussia, 1950s-2000s timeline. Prussia backs a third-world Balkans puppet state called Sal Kataria.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:13 am

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:So the only thing the Saipan banzai attack achieved was killing a lot of able Japanese bodies, and the only thing that makes it different is this attack succeeded in killing a few Americans?

The only thing that makes it different was it was able to overwhelm the quantity of machine guns, mortars, and howitzers firing into the kill zone with bodies. The "able Japanese bodies" were lost the instant the US Navy arrived. The Japanese might have consumed more time if they simply surrendered and drowned the island's defenders in paperwork of processing the EPWs. Assuming the Americans didn't shoot them out of hand, of course, which was a high possibility (even without prior fanatical defenses) due to contemporary Allied attitudes.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:14 am

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:So the only thing the Saipan banzai attack achieved was killing a lot of able Japanese bodies, and the only thing that makes it different is this attack succeeded in killing a few Americans?

Yes. Exactly like every other massed frontal attack against an enemy that has repeating rifles or better ever.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:24 am

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:So the only thing the Saipan banzai attack achieved was killing a lot of able Japanese bodies

They also killed 650 Americans, a lot more than if they had continued their defense which would have resulted in the same number of Japanese dead from prolonged naval bombardment.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information