NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 10: Shovel Edition [NO FWORDS]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:24 pm

Allanea wrote:
Meanwhile the Kurds and New Iraqi Army are failing against a couple of Toyotas and some random ex-Ba'athist functionaries.

On this logic, literally the entire world is failing.

And you aren't wrong.

Allanea wrote:
Yeah, that's kind of what happens when you try to fight an unstoppable industrial juggernaut that lives an ocean away, impervious to attack or invasion. You lose.

What a wonderful decisionmaking process.

The entire reputation of "excellence" you're speaking of stems from Hitler's conquest of Europe and modern Germany's industrial policies.

And Sedan, Sadowa, and so on and so forth...

1) It would have been correct for ~100 years prior.

2) Germany had one decent war (1870) and one big fail (1914) under its belt at the time. Everything else was basically a sideshow. France was seen as the obviously superior military because France had a much better history than Germany at the time. Look how that turned out I guess.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:25 pm

How similar was Prussia to the Second Reich? Imperial Germany only had three big wars and lost two of them, but the German-speaking peoples certainly had a long history of warfare.
militant radical centrist in the sheets, neoclassical realist in the streets.
Saving this here so I can peruse it at my leisure.
In IC the Federated Kingdom of Prussia, 1950s-2000s timeline. Prussia backs a third-world Balkans puppet state called Sal Kataria.

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:45 pm

Allanea wrote:Except the argument was not about his ostensible military skill [and even that is at best controversial], but about the competence of the German government under Hitler.

If someone told Bismarck one day Germany would obtain all the German lands of the Hapsburgs without firing a shot with the consent of the powers of Europe just by insisting very firmly they should be part of Germany, he'd probably have a stroke. For the Nazi's this was just the warm up.

Allanea wrote:It was not a competent government because it did not succeed at achieving its own goals, and indeed consistently achieved the reverse of its own goals, in ways that were entirely predictable at the time.

It succeeded at the vast majority of it's goals. Your argument is retrocasual; because Germany lost the war the Anschluss and partition of Czechoslovakia were not huge diplomatic coups. Because Germany lost the war the Fall of France and the simultaneous destruction of the British and French Army in just over a month was not an incredible military achievement. Because Germany lost the war negotiating the Molotov Ribbentrop pact to temporarily neutralize the USSR as an enemy and prevent Germany from facing the same dilemma in 1939 as in 1914, while also securing the assistance of the USSR is crushing Poland, was not a strategic coup for Germany.

Time you may have forgotten only works in one direction. If you had tried to make this argument in 1941 you'd be grasping at straws. Nazi Germany lost, and it lost big time, but it had many truly extraordinary accomplishments on the way there. It was so hard to beat them for a reason.

Allanea wrote:Furthermore, it was also not a competent government because it lacked the main feature of a competent government, which is formal decision making processes rather than 'a vague ill-defined clique of drug addicts vaguely connected to the Fuhrer'.

Bureaucracy is not really the definition of a good government.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:10 pm

Laritaia wrote:tl;dr conquering Europe isn't an achievement when you can't hold it afterwards, and in doing so galvanize the three most powerful nations on earth to fight either to the bitter end, or your complete and utter destruction.

How many regimes have achieved this, ever, for any length of time?

Tule wrote:The fact that Hitler conquered Europe says more about Europe than it does about Hitler.

So we have two options here:

1. Hitler and Nazis were actually pretty good at the whole conquering thing but ultimately got high on their own success, bit off more than they could chew and lost it all in the end.
2. Everyone else in Europe was affected by a mysterious brain fog that prevented them from stopping those Nazi nicompoops from bumbling their way to controlling virtually of the European continent, but which lifted miraculously and spontaneously right around 1942, just in time to stop those wacky Nazis from bumbling their way right across the world.

And the second option seems more plausible to you?
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:20 pm

Bureaucracy is not really the definition of a good government.

Formal decision making processes actually kind of are.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:20 pm

1. Hitler and Nazis were actually pretty good at the whole conquering thing but ultimately got high on their own success, bit off more than they could chew and lost it all in the end.
2. Everyone else in Europe was affected by a mysterious brain fog that prevented them from stopping those Nazi nicompoops from bumbling their way to controlling virtually of the European continent, but which lifted miraculously and spontaneously right around 1942, just in time to stop those wacky Nazis from bumbling their way right across the world.

Nevermind both of these are factually untrue, #2 definitely applies, at least, to the USSR.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:20 pm

Austrasien wrote:
Tule wrote:The fact that Hitler conquered Europe says more about Europe than it does about Hitler.

They bit off more than they could chew almost right away. I mean, they successfully conquered a bunch of small nations that offered almost no resistance, and then went after Poland. It isn't like they did a stunning job in Poland, and were certainly helped by the USSR coming in the back. But because they invaded Poland they were now fighting France and England, at which point they were basically domed. Germany managed to take out France more because of political issues between France and England.

How about Germany only really managed to remove one major player in Europe, France, because of luck and politics? England stood strong, the USSR got beaten up but drove in for the kill.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:34 pm

Allanea wrote:

Nevermind both of these are factually untrue, #2 definitely applies, at least, to the USSR.

Popper_was_right.tiff

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:39 pm

Taking either of these premises, they are both factually untrue in terms of describing the events of WW2, but he second is in part true when discussing some participants.

On a different topic yes.

Popper was right.
Strauss was right.
Friedman was right.
Mises was right.

Deal with it.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:26 pm

Does this mean the USA is a huge idiot led moronocracy because it lost the world?

The most accurate statement is that Hitler's Reich started out competent and gradually became less competent as it was clouded by early successes in its decision making, culminating in eventual defeat around 1942 when the USA entered the war. That doesn't detract from its early success in the slightest, that just points out the folly of having so much information weighed on a small circle of individuals. Had Hitler stopped at the Sudetenland, the Third Reich would probably still exist in some form today.

You might as well try to say that American economic hegemony was ruined by the Nixon Shock or Reaganomics, which were both events that weakened and ultimately destroyed it.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Puzikas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:54 am

Idk if any of you are into weightlifting or body building like I am

But the guy who just won the Arnold classic (which is a body building competition) is a army SSGT

Here he is in uniform:

And here is the greatest comment of the year:
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:12 am

Puzikas wrote:Idk if any of you are into weightlifting or body building like I am

Are you kidding? I'm jacked
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:50 am

Puzikas wrote:Idk if any of you are into weightlifting or body building like I am

But the guy who just won the Arnold classic (which is a body building competition) is a army SSGT

He's the guy in the middle holding the flag, right?

LOL jkjk
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:27 pm

Gallia- wrote:Does this mean the USA is a huge idiot led moronocracy because it lost the world?

The most accurate statement is that Hitler's Reich started out competent and gradually became less competent as it was clouded by early successes in its decision making, culminating in eventual defeat around 1942 when the USA entered the war. That doesn't detract from its early success in the slightest, that just points out the folly of having so much information weighed on a small circle of individuals. Had Hitler stopped at the Sudetenland, the Third Reich would probably still exist in some form today.

The problem with this idea is that having so much information weighed on a small circle of individuals is at the core of what the Third Reich believed in, and equally, vast territorial expansion is at the core of Mein Kampf, even at an age when sheer territorial expansion was becoming less and less important economically.

In reality, Hitler and his cronies came into possession of a country with a strong industrial and military tradition, and a strongly nationalistic culture, as well as a literary and philosophical tradition that could be put into service of a nationalist upheaval. In other words, it was much like a gang of meth-using, cousin-humping racists with bad teeth breaking into a National Guard armory.

Well, literally a gang of meth-using cousin-humping racists. In Hitler's case - literally with bad teeth.

They then used the cultural and social weapons they had found there to fight everyone else, and predictably lost. It should be noted that fighting everyone else was a spectacularly bad idea on the level of performing a pirouette atop a speeding train for Youtube likes.

I can climb on top of a speeding train, and if I am good at ballet, I may perform several, extremely technically well-executed, wonderful pirouettes up there. Possibly the video of me performing a pirouette in a ballerina dress as I get face-slammed by an electric pole at 100 MPH will get 10 million likes and go viral. But that is not competence as most people know it.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:57 pm

You'd die

Goodbye.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Puzikas wrote:You'd die

You know I don't think we needed a medical expert to tell us that getting hit in the face by an electric pole while going 100 miles an hour is fatal.
Fact Book.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:05 pm

The question to ask is not if he would die. It's if he would die from the impact and fall off or if he would snag a wire and actually make a connection in which case he might catch fire in a spectacular way.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:10 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Puzikas wrote:You'd die

You know I don't think we needed a medical expert to tell us that getting hit in the face by an electric pole while going 100 miles an hour is fatal.

Wrong as usual

Purpelia wrote:It's if he would die from the impact and fall off or if he would snag a wire and actually make a connection in which case he might catch fire in a spectacular way.

Die from impact
Ignite after death

Goodbye.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:13 pm

Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Sevvania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2010

Postby Sevvania » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Puzikas wrote:Die from impact
Ignite after death

Witness me, bloodbags.
*V8 salutes*
"Humble thyself and hold thy tongue."

Current Era: 1945
NationStates Stat Card - Sevvania
OFFICIAL FACTBOOK - Sevvania
4/1/13 - Never Forget

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Puzikas wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:You know I don't think we needed a medical expert to tell us that getting hit in the face by an electric pole while going 100 miles an hour is fatal.

Wrong as usual

That's hurtful.
Fact Book.

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:50 pm

Here he is in uniform:
(Image)

(Image)

Nah, I much prefer my BJJ thank you very much!

In all seriousness though, that guys is impressively fucking big.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

The Technocratic Syndicalists
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2015

Postby The Technocratic Syndicalists » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:57 pm

Here he is in uniform:
(Image)

(Image)

I see the DoD has relaxed its drug testing standards.
SDI AG
Arcaenian Military Factbook
Task Force Atlas
International Freedom Coalition

OOC: Call me Techno for Short
IC: The Kingdom of Arcaenia

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017

Postby New Visayan Islands » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:29 pm

Here he is in uniform:
(Image)

(Image)

Lordy, Lordy! That guy's pumped up!
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

The Technocratic Syndicalists
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2015

Postby The Technocratic Syndicalists » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:40 pm

New Visayan Islands wrote:Lordy, Lordy! That guy's pumped up!

He sure is pumped....pumped full of synthol, tren, and dbol. At 6' 300 ibs watching him try to run more than 10 yards would probably be pretty amusing.
SDI AG
Arcaenian Military Factbook
Task Force Atlas
International Freedom Coalition

OOC: Call me Techno for Short
IC: The Kingdom of Arcaenia

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information