NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 10: Shovel Edition [NO FWORDS]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

EsToVnIa
Senator

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:39 am

New Korongo wrote:(Image)
maximy thing

is the brass to make it steampunk?
Most Heavenly State/Khamgiin Tengerleg Uls

Weeaboo Gassing Land wrote:Also, rev up the gas chambers.

The United States of North Amerigo wrote:CUNT

12:02:02 AM <Tarsas> premislyd is my spirit animal tbh

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:18 am

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Gallia- wrote:
Their gats are huge and also:

How so?

Their rifles are shorter than an M4 with an extended stock; they're 780 mm (78 px), or exactly the same length as the actual Steyr ACR on which they're based. I just straightened out the curves because the funky 1980s curved design didn't appeal to me.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/public/lineart/Spergscale/Infantry/airborne-platoon.png

No M60s. Ergo lose.

Link's dead.

e: Radars on tanks and fire protective masks and optical sights for all troopers SUCH DECADENCE. No wonder the Sahara tried to turn itself into a desert to punish this sheer impertinence.

Iron sights and whistling makes men among men. ;-;

Suppressors for every man too. The wealth of Mother Africa is limitless. ;)

e2: Mortarmen need assistants. It should be a 2-man mortar team at least.

I was mostly concerned about having enough mortars to justify having them at all. Would it be feasible to take the ammo bearers from the medium machine gunners to maintain two two-man mortar teams?

And roughly how much ammo would they be expected to carry?

Korva wrote:You should add some variation, like not everyone wearing eyepro, or some sleeves rolled up, etc.

I'll get around to it. One of the actual planned changes was to change up ethnicities, but I have yet to bother finding good skin tone colors for North and Sub-Saharan Africans or Hispanics, etc. The pasty Scandinavian white they are right now should be a minority but those colors are easier to copy over.

1) They just look really big. I think it's because they have the shoulder things that go up barrel shrouds that makes them look like grenade launchers or sth from a distance.

2) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/653 ... latoon.png

3) Well it's Carthage. Practically invented Western Decadence with all that trade and being better than kleptocratic predator state Rome at wealth stealing/creation.

Carthage
Columbia

Rome
Russia

Coincidence? You decide!

Anyway if it's suppressors then yeah that's why they look huge. I was expecting a 2 pixel barrel and I got a 5 pixel ebony staff. ):

4) One mortar is infinitely more mortars than most platoons have these days. The platoon mortar is literally just going to be used to throw WP at pillboxes and stuff anyway.

Yes, you can run a MMG with a two-man team provided it doesn't have a tripod or anything substantially heavy. The second man is the assistant/bearer and the first man carries the MMG with a bipod on the end. In a three-man machine gun crew, generally the third man carries yet more ammunition or the tripod assembly. A tripod isn't something that's normally expected for a rifle platoon, though. That's something a weapons platoon might have in a company.

You could also have a mortar squad in the platoon, but they won't have a lot of ammunition. It might be better to roll in a platoon sniper/marksman and maybe a RATELO for the platoon leader.

Mortar team of two men might carry 12-15 rounds of 60mm. If it's anything like M224 this is maybe 20-30 seconds of firing at maximum rate. Good thing a platoon mortar isn't good for volume of fire but for responsiveness of fire. Anyway it would probably consist of the assistant carrying a packboard or rucksack frame with 10-12 mortar rounds in their carrying cases:

And the mortar gunner may be able to carry another 3-ish rounds if he's a Big Dude:

Once you get into companies, mortar ammunition supply becomes more inventive and interesting:

What you don't see is the remainder of the squad/section hauling 60mm rounds in rucksack frames behind them.

Additional mortar ammunition will be delivered by armored cargo carrier.
Last edited by Gallia- on Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:34 am, edited 5 times in total.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:03 am

I imagine you could stack quite a few of those backpacks in your IFV. And whilst sure, they would not be available immediately one backpack is probably good enough for one engagement. And you can reload later. Works for tanks after all.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:07 am

EsToVnIa wrote:
maximy thing

Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

United states of brazilian nations
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby United states of brazilian nations » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:17 am

Fordorsia wrote:
EsToVnIa wrote:

HOLY FEIJOADA, look at the size of that cartridge! What the hell is this, an early autocannon? Was it designed for maximum efficiency in elephant-killing?
Puzikas wrote:
Graznovia wrote:Why does the dude look like Putin?
Did you knot know? There is no Russian people, only clones of Putin. We don't get names, just Numbers.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Kouralia wrote:AKA FiSH and CHiPS(Fighting in Someone's House and Causing Havoc in Public Spaces):p

Fordorsia wrote:Breaking news: The estimated leading cause of death is dying.
Imperializt Russia wrote:Well what it is, is an 18.5mm piece of hollow metal that, through witchcraft and evil, becomes significantly larger than 18.5mm.
Puzikas wrote:fuck you for drawing a good looking bulpup AK.
Puzikas wrote:USBN has a sensor that triggers after anything vaguely Brazilian is mentioned.
For HUE!

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:38 am

United states of brazilian nations wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

HOLY FEIJOADA, look at the size of that cartridge! What the hell is this, an early autocannon? Was it designed for maximum efficiency in elephant-killing?

it's a big maxim gun for mounting on ships to use for shooting at boats

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:46 am

Fordorsia wrote:
(Image)

I believe I know what that thing is

QF 1-pounder pom-pom

You are correct in that it is an autocannon. Served from what I remember as a sort of infantry gun of sorts for long distance killage. By long distance I mean longer than a rifleman could hope to engage an enemy.
Last edited by Kazarogkai on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:56 am

Kazarogkai wrote:

QF 1-pounder pom-pom

You are correct in that it is an autocannon. Served from what I remember as a sort of infantry gun of sorts for long distance killage. By long distance I mean longer than a rifleman could hope to engage an enemy.

That's not what it was for. It was an AA gun and deck gun.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:20 am

Fordorsia wrote:
Kazarogkai wrote:

QF 1-pounder pom-pom

Actually the 1 pounder guns did see use as infantry support guns and had a breif heyday until the fast firing 75mm guns became common.

They were used for AA work because they were an automatic weapon that was available, not in huge demand elsewhere and just so happened to be able to fire to a reasonable altitude.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:26 am

Fordorsia wrote:
Kazarogkai wrote:

QF 1-pounder pom-pom

Later on yes but originally it was used on land for supporting soldiers especially during the boer war, example:

"The British government initially rejected the gun but other countries bought it, including the South African Republic (Transvaal) government. In the Second Boer War, the British found themselves being fired on with success by the Boers with their 37 mm Maxim-Nordenfelt versions with ammunition made in Germany."
Source:
https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php? ... type=topic
Last edited by Kazarogkai on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:23 pm

Gallia- wrote:1) They just look really big. I think it's because they have the shoulder things that go up barrel shrouds that makes them look like grenade launchers or sth from a distance.

Anyway if it's suppressors then yeah that's why they look huge. I was expecting a 2 pixel barrel and I got a 5 pixel ebony staff. ):

The Steyr ACR handguard would have gone all the way to the flash hider, I just cut that back a bit and added a suppressor instead.

4) One mortar is infinitely more mortars than most platoons have these days. The platoon mortar is literally just going to be used to throw WP at pillboxes and stuff anyway.

Yes, you can run a MMG with a two-man team provided it doesn't have a tripod or anything substantially heavy. The second man is the assistant/bearer and the first man carries the MMG with a bipod on the end. In a three-man machine gun crew, generally the third man carries yet more ammunition or the tripod assembly. A tripod isn't something that's normally expected for a rifle platoon, though. That's something a weapons platoon might have in a company.

You could also have a mortar squad in the platoon, but they won't have a lot of ammunition. It might be better to roll in a platoon sniper/marksman and maybe a RATELO for the platoon leader.

Mortar team of two men might carry 12-15 rounds of 60mm. If it's anything like M224 this is maybe 20-30 seconds of firing at maximum rate. Good thing a platoon mortar isn't good for volume of fire but for responsiveness of fire. Anyway it would probably consist of the assistant carrying a packboard or rucksack frame with 10-12 mortar rounds in their carrying cases:

(Image)

And the mortar gunner may be able to carry another 3-ish rounds if he's a Big Dude:

(Image)

In that case I'll probably shrink the MG teams down to two men and convert the mortar team into a single two-man section with one mortar. I had taken the three-man MG teams from the Stryker brigade's weapons squad. The extra two men from the MG teams would become a sniper and a radioman.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

New Korongo
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Korongo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:05 pm

EsToVnIa wrote:
maximy thing

The weapon has prominent brass components for two main reasons. First and foremost, as Ford pointed out, contemporary Maxim guns had a fair amount of brass. This applies to the model from which my fictional gun was derived, the ‘Extra-Light’. The real question is, why isn’t it black? The answer, and the second reason, is that I wanted to reuse the colour scheme of my naval rifles which would be serving alongside the Maxim.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:16 pm

Damn, those are nice.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:27 pm

Crookfur wrote:Damn, those are nice.

I wanna fuck em

EsToVnIa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:52 pm

New Korongo wrote:The weapon has prominent brass components for two main reasons. First and foremost, as Ford pointed out, contemporary Maxim guns had a fair amount of brass. This applies to the model from which my fictional gun was derived, the ‘Extra-Light’. The real question is, why isn’t it black? The answer, and the second reason, is that I wanted to reuse the colour scheme of my naval rifles which would be serving alongside the Maxim.

That meme was a bit of a longshot looking back at it, oh_well.jpg

She is called MKb-56

she is chambered in 7mm British and kills Balts

Norcourt
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 04, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Norcourt » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:40 pm

EsToVnIa wrote:
New Korongo wrote:The weapon has prominent brass components for two main reasons. First and foremost, as Ford pointed out, contemporary Maxim guns had a fair amount of brass. This applies to the model from which my fictional gun was derived, the ‘Extra-Light’. The real question is, why isn’t it black? The answer, and the second reason, is that I wanted to reuse the colour scheme of my naval rifles which would be serving alongside the Maxim.

She is called MKb-56

7mm British? .303? .280? 7.62x51mm NATO?
A PROUD MEMBER OF THE FEDERATION OF ALLIES!
Host nation of Nuza

Aethal
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethal » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:04 am

.280 Memester
Nedis sicut diabolus equitat.
Ulfr-Reich expy|Blacksmith/Metallurgist btw(Mostly Blades)|Germanic Polytheist of the Continental Variety
Transphobia is Perfectly Natural
I don't like the "gays" all that much anymore, too much political bundling for my taste
You are all terrible

EsToVnIa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:20 am

Norcourt wrote:
EsToVnIa wrote:

She is called MKb-56

I'm not 100% sure what the question here is.

Aethal wrote:.280 Memester

it was gonna be 7.62 Czech but that felt more like a meme than .280 did TBH

United states of brazilian nations
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby United states of brazilian nations » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:35 am

New Korongo wrote:
EsToVnIa wrote:

The weapon has prominent brass components for two main reasons. First and foremost, as Ford pointed out, contemporary Maxim guns had a fair amount of brass. This applies to the model from which my fictional gun was derived, the ‘Extra-Light’. The real question is, why isn’t it black? The answer, and the second reason, is that I wanted to reuse the colour scheme of my naval rifles which would be serving alongside the Maxim.

This is absolutely gorgeous.
Puzikas wrote:
Graznovia wrote:Why does the dude look like Putin?
Did you knot know? There is no Russian people, only clones of Putin. We don't get names, just Numbers.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Kouralia wrote:AKA FiSH and CHiPS(Fighting in Someone's House and Causing Havoc in Public Spaces):p

Fordorsia wrote:Breaking news: The estimated leading cause of death is dying.
Imperializt Russia wrote:Well what it is, is an 18.5mm piece of hollow metal that, through witchcraft and evil, becomes significantly larger than 18.5mm.
Puzikas wrote:fuck you for drawing a good looking bulpup AK.
Puzikas wrote:USBN has a sensor that triggers after anything vaguely Brazilian is mentioned.
For HUE!

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:43 am

Wow, that is amazing.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:58 am

EsToVnIa wrote:
Norcourt wrote:

I'm not 100% sure what the question here is.

Aethal wrote:.280 Memester

it was gonna be 7.62 Czech but that felt more like a meme than .280 did TBH

.280 is a HUGE meme there's a whole website and book series about it.

7.62 Czech is basically a footnote in history.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:53 am

.280 is garbage

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Puzikas » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:32 am

I love that we've come full circle
Thankfully
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:42 am

Fordorsia wrote:.280 is garbage

.276 Pedersen best round.

Puzikas wrote:I love that we've come full circle
Thankfully

You'll never change my mind.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information