NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 10: Shovel Edition [NO FWORDS]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:57 pm

A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:40 pm

Is it possible for mechanized and motorized infantry to carry around heavy machine guns and auto grenade launchers, then set them up before battle? And if it's possible, is it a good idea? I'm exploring the possibilities of having Mark 19 crews setting up in ambush and blockade positions.
militant radical centrist in the sheets, neoclassical realist in the streets.
Saving this here so I can peruse it at my leisure.
In IC the Federated Kingdom of Prussia, 1950s-2000s timeline. Prussia backs a third-world Balkans puppet state called Sal Kataria.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:41 pm

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:Is it possible for mechanized and motorized infantry to carry around heavy machine guns and auto grenade launchers, then set them up before battle? And if it's possible, is it a good idea? I'm exploring the possibilities of having Mark 19 crews setting up in ambush and blockade positions.

Unless they're on the outside of the vehicle expect to have to drop one passenger. HMG and AGLs are big
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Norcourt
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 04, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Norcourt » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:02 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:
Norcourt wrote:(Image)

Added Stripper Clip Notch, and K98 style front sights...

For a weapon of that length that is a really shot barrel. For comparison a weapon that in part resembles your own the M1 garand had a total length of 43.5 in but had a barrel that was 24 in. if it had a barrel like yours it would have been only 37.5 in in total. I'm assuming the reason for the length of the weapon is the gas system used?

Most of the specifications are quite similar to a few rifles such as the Gewehr 41, but as I thought that 1900 would be such in an early year, there should be several downsides to the gas system...
A PROUD MEMBER OF THE FEDERATION OF ALLIES!
Host nation of Nuza

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Norcourt wrote:
Kazarogkai wrote:
For a weapon of that length that is a really shot barrel. For comparison a weapon that in part resembles your own the M1 garand had a total length of 43.5 in but had a barrel that was 24 in. if it had a barrel like yours it would have been only 37.5 in in total. I'm assuming the reason for the length of the weapon is the gas system used?

Most of the specifications are quite similar to a few rifles such as the Gewehr 41, but as I thought that 1900 would be such in an early year, there should be several downsides to the gas system...

That seems pretty early to have a Semi-Auto rifle as standard issue especially considering the fact that Bolt actions were barely coming into being at the time. You do you though bro.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:22 pm

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:Is it possible for mechanized and motorized infantry to carry around heavy machine guns and auto grenade launchers, then set them up before battle? And if it's possible, is it a good idea? I'm exploring the possibilities of having Mark 19 crews setting up in ambush and blockade positions.

Usually these would be weapons mounted on their carriers in turrets, for obvious reasons.

Theodosiya
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Theodosiya » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:30 pm

So, in mechs and motors platoon and company, HMG would be replaced by IFVs? And what level of asset an IFV or APC is?
The strong rules over the weak
And the weak are ruled by the strong
It is the natural order

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:37 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:We platoon now.

Their gats are huge and also:

https://www.dropbox.com/home/public/lin ... latoon.png

No M60s. Ergo lose.

e: Radars on tanks and fire protective masks and optical sights for all troopers SUCH DECADENCE. No wonder the Sahara tried to turn itself into a desert to punish this sheer impertinence.

Iron sights and whistling makes men among men. ;-;

e2: Mortarmen need assistants. It should be a 2-man mortar team at least.
Last edited by Gallia- on Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sediczja
Minister

Founded: Oct 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sediczja » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:42 pm

Theodosiya wrote:So, in mechs and motors platoon and company, HMG would be replaced by IFVs?
Most of the time, yeah.

You can still have dismounted weapon teams, but the IFV/APC's armament makes up for any lack thereof in most cases. Platoon level seems a little low for dismounted HMGs either way.
And what level of asset an IFV or APC is?
Not sure what you mean by this. Most of the time they're "part of the squad", I guess.
A holy place can never exist without enemies.
I'm not even an anarchist but whatever
DeviantArt
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:The USA was in NATO when the American Civil War happened

Carcelea wrote:WHEN IT WILL STOPS?????

Saiwania wrote:Instead of adjusting my world view to fit more closely with facts, I prefer to try to force the facts into my world view. I've come to my conclusion: that race mixing is bad, therefore I have to do my best to minimize what contradicts that and maximize what supports it. I desperately want the Bible's scriptures to say that God forbids interracial marriage.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:44 pm

Korva wrote:

You should add some variation, like not everyone wearing eyepro, or some sleeves rolled up, etc.

Height.

The poses make my arms feel tired though. If I were able to lineart I'd redo Galla's dummies so they were holding their arms at 45' angles instead of the lazy slob angles they do now.

Their blouses would also be untucked.

Webbing would be redrawn as well to be lighter than the uniform.
Last edited by Gallia- on Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:58 pm

Puzikas wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:So this would imply physically swapping something out for something else or smth like that or simply pushing a button or pulling a level or something like that on the rifle?

I'm talking about actually having to change a major components of the rifle, like the bolt, barrel, lower/upper receiver.

I don't want to be rude but are you not contradicting yourself here?

Only recently as there been strides in allowing the same rifle, with the same magazine, to use cartridges with significantly different COALs without the change of major systems.

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:Well for one it's supposed to eliminate rimlock

I know what it is
You know semiautomaticlly rifles have existed and have been reliable with rimmed cartridges, right? It's not like Saiga or Vepr magazines are unreliable, nor SVT or SVD rifles and magazines. There's been ways to remove rimlock for a long time. The biggest issue with rimmed cartridges in magazines is the taper imparted as a result of the rim.

Yes I know about those and e.g. 7.52 rimmed and whatnot but you said that it's like a normal magazine and I pointed out why it's not. Also I do not understand the taper bit.

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:and then it's supposed to somehow reliably feed differing OAL cartridges by physically feeding the cartridges in the same position I think

Two very different things to do this with a shotgun and a rifle.

Like?

It's not different from anything else really.

Why is there a patent for it then? Obviously with a single stack you can simply both remove rimlock and make it feed from the same position with rim channels/groves like the top down illustration shows (and which I noted) but I had the impression the innovative bit was about making it a double stack/double stack that tapers to single. Also I wasn't sure if the "being able to correctly feed differing COALs" was about feeding from the same position or if it was something else.

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:Why would it not headspace?

Difference in shape. This is why modern rifles in modern bottle necked cartridges don't like different length cartridges.

Again, I don't quite follow. Don't mistake me for being combative though, I really just want to learn. If you have a barrel that has a chamber which is designed to fit a certain cartridge, if it is bottlenecked it will probably be made to headspace on the shoulder, if it's straightwalled it will probably be made to headspace on the case mouth or possibly the rim or both for a rimmed straightwall cartridge. In any case the headspacing only has to do with the case itself (whether on the shoulder or on the case mouth) so with the same case you should theoretically have identical headspacing even with different length bullets because the bullet length does not impact on the size or shape of the chamber, right? You could theoretically for the sake of the argument have a bullet that runs the entire length of the barrel or is even longer and it would still headspace the same if the case remains the same shape and size, no? In my mind the chamber stops where the case stops and after that you enter the "barrel proper", or am I wrong?
Last edited by DnalweN acilbupeR on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Norcourt
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Norcourt » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:
Norcourt wrote:

That seems pretty early to have a Semi-Auto rifle as standard issue especially considering the fact that Bolt actions were barely coming into being at the time. You do you though bro.

Tis alt-universe
Host nation of Nuza

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Question for your guys related toward LMGs. From my reading around I fell upon the Finnish L-39 and was rather intrigued by it's overall operation. One of the things that really interested me was the bottom ejection for the spent cartridges alongside the top mounted mag. I was just thinking as of now I have for the most part settled on using a local variation of a not!Bren as my main standard LMG and have thought; could something similar be implemented in said weapon? I just thought it would be an interesting feature to have and would add just that bit of eccentricity that I kinda like. So what are your guys thoughts? My main concern is not so much on whether it would be useful but on whether it would be feasible.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:Question for your guys related toward LMGs. From my reading around I fell upon the Finnish L-39 and was rather intrigued by it's overall operation. One of the things that really interested me was the bottom ejection for the spent cartridges alongside the top mounted mag. I was just thinking as of now I have for the most part settled on using a local variation of a not!Bren as my main standard LMG and have thought; could something similar be implemented in said weapon? I just thought it would be an interesting feature to have and would add just that bit of eccentricity that I kinda like. So what are your guys thoughts? My main concern is not so much on whether it would be useful but on whether it would be feasible.

You want a Bren that ejects out the bottom? Congratulations you now have a Bren.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Gallia- wrote:

Their gats are huge and also:

How so?

Their rifles are shorter than an M4 with an extended stock; they're 780 mm (78 px), or exactly the same length as the actual Steyr ACR on which they're based. I just straightened out the curves because the funky 1980s curved design didn't appeal to me.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/public/lineart/Spergscale/Infantry/airborne-platoon.png

No M60s. Ergo lose.

Link's dead.

e: Radars on tanks and fire protective masks and optical sights for all troopers SUCH DECADENCE. No wonder the Sahara tried to turn itself into a desert to punish this sheer impertinence.

Iron sights and whistling makes men among men. ;-;

Suppressors for every man too. The wealth of Mother Africa is limitless. ;)

e2: Mortarmen need assistants. It should be a 2-man mortar team at least.

I was mostly concerned about having enough mortars to justify having them at all. Would it be feasible to take the ammo bearers from the medium machine gunners to maintain two two-man mortar teams?

And roughly how much ammo would they be expected to carry?

Korva wrote:

You should add some variation, like not everyone wearing eyepro, or some sleeves rolled up, etc.

I'll get around to it. One of the actual planned changes was to change up ethnicities, but I have yet to bother finding good skin tone colors for North and Sub-Saharan Africans or Hispanics, etc. The pasty Scandinavian white they are right now should be a minority but those colors are easier to copy over.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:40 pm

One mortar is plenty for a platoon. Unless you count the IJA grenade launchers as mortars that's all anyone ever had.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:53 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Kazarogkai wrote:Question for your guys related toward LMGs. From my reading around I fell upon the Finnish L-39 and was rather intrigued by it's overall operation. One of the things that really interested me was the bottom ejection for the spent cartridges alongside the top mounted mag. I was just thinking as of now I have for the most part settled on using a local variation of a not!Bren as my main standard LMG and have thought; could something similar be implemented in said weapon? I just thought it would be an interesting feature to have and would add just that bit of eccentricity that I kinda like. So what are your guys thoughts? My main concern is not so much on whether it would be useful but on whether it would be feasible.

You want a Bren that ejects out the bottom? Congratulations you now have a Bren.

It does?

I always assumed it ejected from the side like most guns... this is awkward :?
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:53 pm

git

gud

Theodosiya
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Theodosiya » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:01 pm

I've heard that IFV are comp or even battalion level. Is it true? (Also, a minor mistake on my previous post. Should've been fireteam-auto rifle, squad-lmg, platoon gpmg and company hmg)
The strong rules over the weak
And the weak are ruled by the strong
It is the natural order

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:17 pm

Theodosiya wrote:I've heard that IFV are comp or even battalion level. Is it true? (Also, a minor mistake on my previous post. Should've been fireteam-auto rifle, squad-lmg, platoon gpmg and company hmg)

It entirely depends on how your armed forces use and view the IFV. Are they they primarily a fire team for the squad? Are they primarily a transport for the men of the platoon or company? Are they a separate maneuver element? You can basically organize them however you want to, some ways are going to be more efficient than others. Certainly organizing them at the company or battalion level would work.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

New Korongo
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Korongo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:21 pm

maximy thing

Norcourt
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Norcourt » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:37 pm

New Korongo wrote:(Image)
maximy thing

That is truly amazing.
Host nation of Nuza

Aethal
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethal » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:57 pm

New Korongo wrote:([url]Image[/url])
maximy thing

Holy hell, that's fuckin' rad.
Nedis sicut diabolus equitat.
Ulfr-Reich expy|Blacksmith/Metallurgist btw(Mostly Blades)|Germanic Polytheist of the Continental Variety
Transphobia is Perfectly Natural
I don't like the "gays" all that much anymore, too much political bundling for my taste
You are all terrible

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:34 am

Theodosiya wrote:I've heard that IFV are comp or even battalion level. Is it true? (Also, a minor mistake on my previous post. Should've been fireteam-auto rifle, squad-lmg, platoon gpmg and company hmg)

company if you want to win wars

battalion if you're supporting the flanks of the guy winning wars
Unreachable.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information