NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 10: Shovel Edition [NO FWORDS]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:10 pm

Given the new trend toward military use of suppressor like things do you guys think that it would be a good or a bad idea to just have them built into a rifle? Assume that the rifle is a new post 2010 design here.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:11 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:Decent to me and everyone i know means it's not good, but not bad.

Modern NVGs cost, apperantly, 200+ times this amount. I'm not saying it can compare favorably to something purpose built to help people kill people, but on a budget it would work so you can spend money on literally everything else

The only problem is that spending good money on night vision equipment is a fairly high priority. Because if you're limited to like 30 meters of vision, all the rest of the stuff you spent your money on is worthless when the enemy who spent more on his night vision equipment spots you a few hundred meters away and kills you before you even know he's there. Being able to see is a fairly fundamental capability, and seeing as how night takes up a significant portion of the day cycle, it is of obvious use to be able to see effectively during these periods.

It's a false economy. If you're that strapped for cash, you might as well just invest in a solid flashlight. At least you can try to blind someone with it.

Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:In the essay The Soldier's Load by Col. S.L.A. Marshall, the author talks a great deal about how military planners consistently overestimated how much gear soldiers would need. GIs storming ashore on D-Day carried three day's rations when on the first day they ate and drank very little(likely due to all the fighting those first troops were seeing). Marines in the Pacific were carrying five to eight grenades each, when he cites the figure of only six percent or less of soldiers actually making use of the grenade. And in the war before that, troops often carried two hundred rounds each as recommended by von Moltke when outfitting his Prussians; American troops were required to be carrying that number even in quiet sectors with little fighting, with brutal results.

Are these findings corroborated elsewhere? As I understand it, giving troops more equipment actually increases mobility - more ammunition means you don't need to constantly need to go to the rear to resupply, more body armor means a soldier is harder to put out of action, night vision and similar optics means they can operate more hours of the day, etc. But I'm sure the temptation to give soldiers all the gear they could possibly need is very real.

Part of it is the soldiers themselves. Carrying lots of ammo is a psychological comfort and very often troops will take extra ammo above their assigned allotment into the field, stuffing extra magazines wherever they can find space. As has been discussed before, body armor is also a psychological force multiplier. It becomes a self-reinforcing mentality.

But the institutional part is a matter of caution, the mentality that it is better to have and not need than to not have and suddenly be caught short of ammunition in a long engagement. No one wants to be the guy who set policy as carrying only like 100 rounds and then find out that a unit happened to get into an engagement where they ran out of ammo and got wrecked because of it, even if such engagements are statistically extremely rare and the benefits of traveling more lightly are broadly useful. Or find that a unit ran out of food because they were told only a day's rations were needed but they happened to get stuck without supply for several days.

In most cases, you only need a few (or even a single notable) example of such occurrences to get policy to change, and it almost always changes upward, in favor of more gear. Because anytime anyone tries to revise it downward, [historical example] gets trotted out again.

There's always been interest in the opposite, those who push for lighter loads to extend marching distances and reduce fatigue and all that. The recent fighting in the Middle East has created a whole crop of advocates who see very lightly equipped ISIS fighters or Donbass rebels running around with a bare minimum of equipment compared to lumbering Western soldiers in heavy body armor with LBE packed to the gills with radios, magazines, grenades, batteries, canteens, and rations and turn green with envy. Hi-speed low-drag indeed.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:17 pm

Rhodesialund wrote:
Versail wrote:So considering recent events what use would infantry have in space based warfare?

As cannon fodder to retrieve the perfect specimen.

Weyland Yutani has the right policies

Weyland is a hack
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Rhodesialund
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Purpelia wrote:Given the new trend toward military use of suppressor like things do you guys think that it would be a good or a bad idea to just have them built into a rifle? Assume that the rifle is a new post 2010 design here.

Kinda of a no-no depending upon the suppressor design. The optimal design would be similar to below, but the internal baffles can be unscrewed and removed from the front end of the rifle.

Name: Valintina/Tina
Bio: President Donald Trump's Concubine

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Versail wrote:So considering recent events what use would infantry have in space based warfare?

Meat for the grinder, or PDG's as the case may be
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Rhodesialund wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Given the new trend toward military use of suppressor like things do you guys think that it would be a good or a bad idea to just have them built into a rifle? Assume that the rifle is a new post 2010 design here.

Kinda of a no-no depending upon the suppressor design. The optimal design would be similar to below, but the internal baffles can be unscrewed and removed from the front end of the rifle.

Why? Will the thing fall apart before the barrel does?
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:24 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Rhodesialund wrote:

Get clogged if i remember right
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Why? Will the thing fall apart before the barrel does?

Get clogged if i remember right

I see. Screw on it is. Does it count as part of the barrel length?

Rhodesialund
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:29 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Rhodesialund wrote:

No, for maintenance reasons. The picture I included above is the best design because it allows for the easiest maintenance. You are gonna have your grunts clean their rifles, and you want that to be easy and simple. Not complex.

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:32 pm

The answer to carbon buildup is regular cleaning, and newer suppressors can go longer before you need to clean it out. Integral suppressors are fine--you need to periodically break the weapon down to clean anyways.
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012

Postby Puzikas » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:34 pm

There's also suppressors that you can quickly disassemble for cleaning.
H o w r e v o l u t i o n a r y
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

Rhodesialund
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:37 pm

Puzikas wrote:There's also suppressors that you can quickly disassemble for cleaning.

Puz, didn't you get a Gemtech or?

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:42 pm

My only real concern with detachables is how they would work with bayonets. So like, discuss.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:45 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:Decent to me and everyone i know means it's not good, but not bad.

Modern NVGs cost, apperantly, 200+ times this amount. I'm not saying it can compare favorably to something purpose built to help people kill people, but on a budget it would work so you can spend money on literally everything else

The only problem is that spending good money on night vision equipment is a fairly high priority. Because if you're limited to like 30 meters of vision, all the rest of the stuff you spent your money on is worthless when the enemy who spent more on his night vision equipment spots you a few hundred meters away and kills you before you even know he's there. Being able to see is a fairly fundamental capability, and seeing as how night takes up a significant portion of the day cycle, it is of obvious use to be able to see effectively during these periods.

It's a false economy. If you're that strapped for cash, you might as well just invest in a solid flashlight. At least you can try to blind someone with it.

Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:In the essay The Soldier's Load by Col. S.L.A. Marshall, the author talks a great deal about how military planners consistently overestimated how much gear soldiers would need. GIs storming ashore on D-Day carried three day's rations when on the first day they ate and drank very little(likely due to all the fighting those first troops were seeing). Marines in the Pacific were carrying five to eight grenades each, when he cites the figure of only six percent or less of soldiers actually making use of the grenade. And in the war before that, troops often carried two hundred rounds each as recommended by von Moltke when outfitting his Prussians; American troops were required to be carrying that number even in quiet sectors with little fighting, with brutal results.

Are these findings corroborated elsewhere? As I understand it, giving troops more equipment actually increases mobility - more ammunition means you don't need to constantly need to go to the rear to resupply, more body armor means a soldier is harder to put out of action, night vision and similar optics means they can operate more hours of the day, etc. But I'm sure the temptation to give soldiers all the gear they could possibly need is very real.

Part of it is the soldiers themselves. Carrying lots of ammo is a psychological comfort and very often troops will take extra ammo above their assigned allotment into the field, stuffing extra magazines wherever they can find space. As has been discussed before, body armor is also a psychological force multiplier. It becomes a self-reinforcing mentality.

But the institutional part is a matter of caution, the mentality that it is better to have and not need than to not have and suddenly be caught short of ammunition in a long engagement. No one wants to be the guy who set policy as carrying only like 100 rounds and then find out that a unit happened to get into an engagement where they ran out of ammo and got wrecked because of it, even if such engagements are statistically extremely rare and the benefits of traveling more lightly are broadly useful. Or find that a unit ran out of food because they were told only a day's rations were needed but they happened to get stuck without supply for several days.

In most cases, you only need a few (or even a single notable) example of such occurrences to get policy to change, and it almost always changes upward, in favor of more gear. Because anytime anyone tries to revise it downward, [historical example] gets trotted out again.

There's always been interest in the opposite, those who push for lighter loads to extend marching distances and reduce fatigue and all that. The recent fighting in the Middle East has created a whole crop of advocates who see very lightly equipped ISIS fighters or Donbass rebels running around with a bare minimum of equipment compared to lumbering Western soldiers in heavy body armor with LBE packed to the gills with radios, magazines, grenades, batteries, canteens, and rations and turn green with envy. Hi-speed low-drag indeed.

Rangers in Panama stuffed their rucksacks with belts and STANAGs.

Turns out they needed none of it and when the 7th Infantry Division showed up, they started telling them horror stories of how dangerous and bad the jungle was. Followed by swapping suspiciously unfired full magazines and belts for Skoal cans. Prior to that the Rangers resorted to sharing dip between each other, which is basically kissing, which is gay. Later, the 7th ID got twitchy when a sentry negligently discharged his rifle and a barrage of firepower from a light infantry battalion ripped through the jungle around the Rio Hata. Then the QRF showed up, which was probably a brigade, blasting all gats at the imaginary South American Nazi Army.

3d BN, 75th Rangers was in stitches inside the perimeter. Sides split wide open because they knew exactly what had happened.

True story.

Purpelia wrote:My only real concern with detachables is how they would work with bayonets. So like, discuss.

Watch the USMC.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:18 pm

Purpelia wrote:My only real concern with detachables is how they would work with bayonets. So like, discuss.

Just clean it to get the gore out
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:24 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:

That's not the problem. You are not going to be sticking the muzzle end into people. The problem I envision is that potentially the joint that holds the thing in place will not withstand being bent and twisted as you stab. I mean these things are basically screwed on to the end of the muzzle. And than you stick a bayonet on top of them like you would on top of the muzzle. So that connecting point is a potential point of failure.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:28 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:

That's not the problem. You are not going to be sticking the muzzle end into people. The problem I envision is that potentially the joint that holds the thing in place will not withstand being bent and twisted as you stab. I mean these things are basically screwed on to the end of the muzzle. And than you stick a bayonet on top of them like you would on top of the muzzle. So that connecting point is a potential point of failure.

Eh, if it does, you now still have a perfectly working rifle that happens to be loud
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:31 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Purpelia wrote:That's not the problem. You are not going to be sticking the muzzle end into people. The problem I envision is that potentially the joint that holds the thing in place will not withstand being bent and twisted as you stab. I mean these things are basically screwed on to the end of the muzzle. And than you stick a bayonet on top of them like you would on top of the muzzle. So that connecting point is a potential point of failure.

Eh, if it does, you now still have a perfectly working rifle that happens to be loud

No, you don't. You have a rifle with a bent or broken thing sticking off it potentially obstructing the muzzle. I don't know anything about firearms but even I know that you are not supposed to put anything in front of the shooty end.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Rhodesialund wrote:All this talk about costs of an individual soldier and not thinking about pensions, retirement packages, benefits, insurance, Federal Banking institutions set up for the enlisted and enlisted's family, etc etc...

I don't really worry about most of these things thankfully. When we did have an army of semi-professional conscripts it was before most of those things would be relevant(early modern period). The best you could hope for in that case was your "rewards", a combination lump sum of cash and a bit of extra land for your clan. In the modern period we have universal conscription as such we lack a need for such incentives.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:

No, you don't. You have a rifle with a bent or broken thing sticking off it potentially obstructing the muzzle. I don't know anything about firearms but even I know that you are not supposed to put anything in front of the shooty end.

yeah but you can remove the suppressor, even if you have to break it more
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:38 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Purpelia wrote:No, you don't. You have a rifle with a bent or broken thing sticking off it potentially obstructing the muzzle. I don't know anything about firearms but even I know that you are not supposed to put anything in front of the shooty end.

yeah but you can remove the suppressor, even if you have to break it more

Maybe? Or maybe you've broken it in such a way that it's now mechanically stuck to the barrel and you need to spend time ripping it off with tools. Or maybe you've done something to the threaded end of the barrel it self and now it's ever so slightly bent or deformed in which case you are holding a rifle shaped hand grenade. Or maybe the connection is infinitely more sturdy than it needs to be and my worries are wrong.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Celitannia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Celitannia » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Integrated suppressors, doctrinally or mechanically, aren't something you should commit to on a service rifle just yet. At least, not until the USMC has finished its trials with them.

Edit: I've been thinking about integrated soldier systems and their dependence on battery power: Is it practical for airborne units? How would they recharge their ensemble/system/battledress?
Last edited by Celitannia on Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the teaposter formerly known as Celibrae

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:06 pm

Totally practical.
Unreachable.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:10 pm

Celitannia wrote:Integrated suppressors, doctrinally or mechanically, aren't something you should commit to on a service rifle just yet. At least, not until the USMC has finished its trials with them.

Edit: I've been thinking about integrated soldier systems and their dependence on battery power: Is it practical for airborne units? How would they recharge their ensemble/system/battledress?

I would imagine you could just issue some sort of recharging mechanism that connects to the local civilian electrical supply.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012

Postby Puzikas » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:11 pm

Rhodesialund wrote:
Puzikas wrote:There's also suppressors that you can quickly disassemble for cleaning.

Puz, didn't you get a Gemtech or?

Yah
GM22 and a YHM Phantom
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information