NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 10: Shovel Edition [NO FWORDS]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:14 pm

@NeuPolska: It is worth remembering, taking in consideration what others have said above, that "resistant" means being able to withstand a couple of rounds, if I'm not mistaken, (in any case, definitely in the range of single digits) before shattering/breaking, after which there is little or no protection against additional hits. In the case of more powerful rounds, the stated projectile the plate is supposed to protect from may even refer to single-shot protection, if I'm not mistaken.

This may be mitigated by segmented plates or however they're called where each plate is made of multiple smaller plates so that when one is hit it doesn't affect the others. Some RL plates of primarily Russian design as far as I can remember use this design.

In any case, significant injury and even death can occur even without penetration, because the energy of the shots has to go somewhere, and that somewhere happens to be the wearer's body (the plate helps by dissipating this energy over a larger surface area, resulting basically in lower pressure on the body but over a bigger patch).

Assuming you have a 20% shot accuracy and say 5 normal 5.56 shots are required to defeat a plate, it would mean you'd have to shoot 25 rounds at the same plate to ensure a kill (assuming again that kill = armor defeat). If you'd use WC 5.56 we could assume that one shot on target would be enough, and that would amount to firing 5 shots with the same 20% shot accuracy. Now, assuming the WC 5.56 is 5 times more expensive per round than normal 5.56 you'd basically be even in terms of costs for defeating our hypothetical armor plate. The problem is that it could be 10 times more expensive. Another problem is that plain 5.56 would do just as good a job at killing unarmored targets and it would do it 5-10 times cheaper per round, and it would also do suppressive fire 5-10 times cheaper per round. Issuing different types of ammo for troops can be problematic in a number of ways, including logistically, and you don't really want your G.I.s to fumble in the heat of battle over putting in the right type of ammo in their rifles.

Notice this is all very hypothetical and rough.

Just my 2 cents and please correct me if I'm wrong.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Rhodesialund wrote:
Gallia- wrote:
Give them good mortar crews and recoilless rifles.

Then they will win at a "straight fight".

As opposed to a transgender fight? Cishomo? I'm not sure what the opposite of a straight fight is. Gay fight?

If it were to be a gay fight, it requires Tac-Sac foregrips and underslung dildo launchers. :p

Tbh, this just sounds like something bored Marines would do... not necessarily a gay fi- oh fuck it. Why do I even try to help them?
Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:03 pm

Kassaran wrote:
Rhodesialund wrote:
If it were to be a gay fight, it requires Tac-Sac foregrips and underslung dildo launchers. :p

Tbh, this just sounds like something bored Marines would do... not necessarily a gay fi- oh fuck it. Why do I even try to help them?

Let them eat their crayons in peace.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Sevvania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sevvania » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:34 pm

Puzikas wrote:the US is preforming a study to determine the usefulness of finding and preforming a switch to a new caliber/back to 7.62x51mm.

Halo was right
"Humble thyself and hold thy tongue."

Current Era: 1945
NationStates Stat Card - Sevvania
OFFICIAL FACTBOOK - Sevvania
4/1/13 - Never Forget

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Puzikas » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:17 pm

They recently got rid of red
The riot footage is astounding
Rhodesialund wrote:
Puzikas wrote:Actually personal armor is starting to become resistant to 5.56 maybe
Which is part of why the US is preforming a study to determine the usefulness of finding and preforming a switch to a new caliber/back to 7.62x51mm.

E: oh yah I think that plate is expired, or theres, you know, special ammunition being used there.
Because a IV plate is definitely proofed against 6.5x39 of all loadings. While not standard practice to test that it still has been tested and proofed.

It's actually a homebrew 125 gr Tungsten Core bullet. The plate is not expired. Bill Alexander is a man of selfishness and not licensing out his shit for the ease of distribution to the consumer, but a flat out liar is not one of them.

I mean "tungsten core" is a bit vague. How much WA is in it? 20%? 40%? What's the material of the jacket or supplimenter of the core?
.30-06 AP uses a 163gr bullet, with a tuned steel core weighting 80 grains 785Hv
The standard Hv of WA is 1450
And a core for 6.5 should be ~ABOUT~ 48-55gr generally
So obviously it has more penetration

Also joules has not as much to do with penetration of armor here
And 6.5 grundle still isnt an intermediate or a full power
And it still is gay
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Puzikas wrote:And it still is gay

Ur gay

It seems to me that I might as well just take the 6.5, make it WC, and give it to frontline troops who are most likely to confront quality armor. I've read a story about Murican soldiers using 5.56 in their ARs and fighting Taliban or whatever using Soviet rifles with larger cartridges. Supposedly the 5.56 couldn't compete and the soldiers were not able to fire back effectively. Now I haven't heard of any dreaded death reaper-esque Taliban marksmen, and militants in general don't strike me as expert marksmen.

However a professional army using heavier calibers could have a range advantage over me if I use 5.56. 6.5 seems like a way to even that out. So if I use WC 6.5 I get good range and good chances of penetration without excessive recoil or carry weight. I then institute a rigid marksmenship course in infantry training and bump up that hypothetical 20% to at least 25%, or higher with experienced troops. And then I leave full-fledged actual full power cartridges for the DMRs.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

German England and Russia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby German England and Russia » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:53 pm

How much of a number wank is this thing?
Name: GER-7.62
Type: Assault Rifle

Magazine size: 30

Calibre: 7.62x54mmR

Length of gun: 3' 11"

Initial Muzzle Velocity: 1,000 m/s

RoF: 900 rds/min

Barrel: Rifled, 369 mm

Magazine type: Box magazine

Sights: Mix of thermal and ACOG

Effective firing range: 500 yards

Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:01 pm

Congrats you've made a worse FG 42, and it's even less controllable.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Rhodesialund
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:28 pm

Puzikas wrote:

I mean "tungsten core" is a bit vague. How much WA is in it? 20%? 40%? What's the material of the jacket or supplimenter of the core?
.30-06 AP uses a 163gr bullet, with a tuned steel core weighting 80 grains 785Hv
The standard Hv of WA is 1450
And a core for 6.5 should be ~ABOUT~ 48-55gr generally
So obviously it has more penetration

Also joules has not as much to do with penetration of armor here
And 6.5 grundle still isnt an intermediate or a full power
And it still is gay

The ESAPI plate was at 500 yards, to clarify that it wasn't a point blank penetration. The jacket is copper, or to be technical it is gilding metal. The actual core construction in his words is "rather simple, general core design." You might be right as to the core weight. As far as I know, it was a developmental load at first. Bill wouldn't comment any further than "it's for Mil/LEO customers."

At this point, a lot of the details are gonna be scarce other than "It can do this at these distances." We are wading into the world of obscure loads where private industries are experimenting with Tungsten, Tantalum, DU (Yes, actual Depleted Uranium, and no I am not lying),

And 6.5 Grendel is not gay, it's full on flaming fabulous. There's a difference. :p
Name: Valintina/Tina
Bio: President Donald Trump's Concubine

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:32 pm

6 mm calibres with the exceptions of 6.5 mm Arisaka and 6.5 mm m/94 are all gay.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Theodosiya
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Theodosiya » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:34 pm

SLAP 7.62x51mm... How rare is it?
The strong rules over the weak
And the weak are ruled by the strong
It is the natural order

Rhodesialund
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Theodosiya wrote:SLAP 7.62x51mm... How rare is it?

You could buy them online as a private individual. Other than that, it's really not worth getting into SLAP until you start at 20mm cartridges or larger.

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:39 pm

not common as far as i can tell it's only used in m240s and miniguns, and even then not often

Rhodesialund
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:40 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:6 mm calibres with the exceptions of 6.5 mm Arisaka and 6.5 mm m/94 are all gay.

It's okay, you are amongst friends and we accept you for who you are. :hug:

Free-Don
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Free-Don » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:37 pm

I use a 6.5x50mm as my standard cartridge. Mostly because I think my nation would focus on skrimeshes and accuracy rather than prolonged firefights and "stopping power."

Rhodesialund
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:42 pm

Free-Don wrote:I use a 6.5x50mm as my standard cartridge. Mostly because I think my nation would focus on skrimeshes and accuracy rather than prolonged firefights and "stopping power."

Doesn't matter the strategic or tactical methods, the same concept of "Intermediates and Full Powered" applies.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:11 pm

NeuPolska wrote:
Puzikas wrote:And it still is gay

Ur gay

It seems to me that I might as well just take the 6.5, make it WC, and give it to frontline troops who are most likely to confront quality armor. I've read a story about Murican soldiers using 5.56 in their ARs and fighting Taliban or whatever using Soviet rifles with larger cartridges. Supposedly the 5.56 couldn't compete and the soldiers were not able to fire back effectively. Now I haven't heard of any dreaded death reaper-esque Taliban marksmen, and militants in general don't strike me as expert marksmen.

However a professional army using heavier calibers could have a range advantage over me if I use 5.56. 6.5 seems like a way to even that out. So if I use WC 6.5 I get good range and good chances of penetration without excessive recoil or carry weight. I then institute a rigid marksmenship course in infantry training and bump up that hypothetical 20% to at least 25%, or higher with experienced troops. And then I leave full-fledged actual full power cartridges for the DMRs.

Say it with me miltech spergs

Infantry
Combat
Is
Predicated
On
Volume
Of
Fire

German England and Russia wrote:How much of a number wank is this thing?

T r a s h

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:6 mm calibres with the exceptions of 6.5 mm Arisaka and 6.5 mm m/94 are all gay.

This basically
But you forgot one 6.5

Extremely
Rhodesialund wrote:Tungsten, Tantalum, DU (Yes, actual Depleted Uranium

I work really closely with cartridge companies and the FBI
I've seen footage this before, among others
Plus the USSR was doing DU rounds in 1980s
Way to catch up private industry

Free-Don wrote:I use a 6.5x50mm as my standard cartridge. Mostly because I think my nation would focus on skrimeshes and accuracy rather than prolonged firefights and "stopping power."

Puzikas wrote:Infantry
Combat
Is
Predicated
On
Volume
Of
Fire
Last edited by Puzikas on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goodbye.

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:14 pm

We've got machine guns for that no?

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:59 pm

German England and Russia wrote:How much of a number wank is this thing?
Name: GER-7.62
Type: Assault Rifle

Magazine size: 30

Calibre: 7.62x54mmR

Length of gun: 3' 11"

Initial Muzzle Velocity: 1,000 m/s

RoF: 900 rds/min

Barrel: Rifled, 369 mm

Magazine type: Box magazine

Sights: Mix of thermal and ACOG

Effective firing range: 500 yards

Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt

A pile of made up nonsense with constantly changing units just annoy people?

Why such a short barrel in such a long gun? WTF is going on with the rest of the gun?

It's not as if the muzzle velocities for common rounds from various barrel lengths are hard to come by or is this one of these magic guns that makes ammo work super gooder than normal?

As for other thread thingies DU AP ammo was produced and tested fairly widely in the 80s and there are constant rumours that the US had enough DU 5.56mm ammo for some it to somehow reach the field in desert storm despite it never being type classified. I suspect the rumours are bollocks and based on the general desert storm du hype but the ammo certainly existed.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:48 am

Rhodesialund wrote:

It's okay, you are amongst friends and we accept you for who you are. :hug:

He is right though.

6.5x55mm is the king.

Rhodesialund
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:44 am

Puzikas wrote:I work really closely with cartridge companies and the FBI
I've seen footage this before, among others
Plus the USSR was doing DU rounds in 1980s
Way to catch up private industry

Not gonna disagree. Kinda hard to keep up as a private industry vs a state-capitalist system. :meh:

Rhodesialund
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:46 am

NeuPolska wrote:We've got machine guns for that no?

Volume of fire still applies. It applies to every infantryman/women/shi/xir/it.

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:34 am

Rhodesialund wrote:

Volume of fire still applies. It applies to every infantryman/women/shi/xir/it.

Well then using the 6.5 should be fine if I'm not using the Swedish as my main cartridge as it's not as recoil-intensive/weight-intensive as full power cartridges but offers extended range over the 5.56 and more accuracy, therefore allowing more fire onto a target because the bullet can now reach them and hit closer to them. Five or four rounds difference in magazine size isn't as large as a ten round difference anyway.

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:43 am

Machine Guns provide a base of fire
They are able to produce a constant, steady stream of fire which will act as the supressive element for the infantry unit on the move.
The infantryman does not produce casualties through some superior Musketry with well regimented and well disciplined order of fire. Superior marksmanship on the rifle range produces a more confident soldier, but ultimately the stresses of combat prove to be disorientating and intimidating. Unlike the rifle range the target is not an exact distance of 100, 200 or 300 meters, is not presented as a clearly defined black or blue or red outline against a white background, against a brown or tan or green environment in a static position. The actual target is an obscured, moving, and difficult to spot entity that sees you the same as you see them: mostly obscured by terrain, and totally obscured by your combat sight.
Ergo, the best way to produce casualties is to produce volumes of fire. The more shots you place into the vicinity of the enemy, the more likely you are to hit the enemy. If you do not hit the enemy, you are supressive the enemy, and thus preventing them from moving or firing back. This allows someone else to bring more fire to the target, which further suppresses them, or hits them and neutralizes them.

Goodbye.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information