NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 10: Shovel Edition [NO FWORDS]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:53 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:
Laritaia wrote:
WWII autocannons that weren't the mollins gun tended to trade muzzle velocity for projectile weight, so as the caliber gets larger the comparative case volume gets smaller.

that being said it's entirely plausible to build an aircraft wing capable of mounting such a weapon, but at the cost of dramatically higher airframe wight with a consequent loss in maneuverability

What if you instead mount it inside the nose of the plane? To make room you could do what they did with the Bell's Cobras and instal the engine in the center fuselage behind the pilot.

That's what I am doing for my ground attacker of the period. 40mm something-nasty in the nose and than a pair of 20mm's in the wings. But for my fighter I was contemplating a setup with 1x20mm in the nose (BF-109 style), 2x20mm in the wing roots and 2x7.5mm through the prop. And I am mainly probing if I'd have to use a different 20mm for the wings than I have to for the motorcannon because I know that the engine mount can be as far up as 30mm no problem but I am not a huge fan of having two different trajectory weapons in the same caliber.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:32 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Kazarogkai wrote:
What if you instead mount it inside the nose of the plane? To make room you could do what they did with the Bell's Cobras and instal the engine in the center fuselage behind the pilot.

That's what I am doing for my ground attacker of the period. 40mm something-nasty in the nose and than a pair of 20mm's in the wings. But for my fighter I was contemplating a setup with 1x20mm in the nose (BF-109 style), 2x20mm in the wing roots and 2x7.5mm through the prop. And I am mainly probing if I'd have to use a different 20mm for the wings than I have to for the motorcannon because I know that the engine mount can be as far up as 30mm no problem but I am not a huge fan of having two different trajectory weapons in the same caliber.

This is getting to be fully air force thread related now.

That said, into WWII your rifle caliber MGs in fighters and attackers ideally should have been replaced by HMGs. No point in keeping 7.5s for anything but defensive mounts.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:54 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:That's what I am doing for my ground attacker of the period. 40mm something-nasty in the nose and than a pair of 20mm's in the wings. But for my fighter I was contemplating a setup with 1x20mm in the nose (BF-109 style), 2x20mm in the wing roots and 2x7.5mm through the prop. And I am mainly probing if I'd have to use a different 20mm for the wings than I have to for the motorcannon because I know that the engine mount can be as far up as 30mm no problem but I am not a huge fan of having two different trajectory weapons in the same caliber.

That said, into WWII your rifle caliber MGs in fighters and attackers ideally should have been replaced by HMGs. No point in keeping 7.5s for anything but defensive mounts.

I basically don't have a HMG. I have 7.5mm, 20mm and nothing in between. Lore reasons. So basically I wanted something for those early war years until I can start getting away with proper 40's fighters that just have like 5x20mm or 4x20mm + 30mm or something fun like that.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:01 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

I basically don't have a HMG. I have 7.5mm, 20mm and nothing in between. Lore reasons. So basically I wanted something for those early war years until I can start getting away with proper 40's fighters that just have like 5x20mm or 4x20mm + 30mm or something fun like that.

RIP HMGs. In that case you'll be wanting 4-6 MGs in the wings and just the 20mm in the nose. Or even more in the wings or in gun pods if you want to be especially buzzsaw.

But again, air force thread for going into detail on this.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:37 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

So... you have basically no machine guns until they somehow magically spring into existence fully formed in 1920 or equivalent, and then you have no machine guns that can hit back at enemies with M2HB's without waiting while heavily suppressed for your armoured support.
10/10 :purp:
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:41 pm

If you stack MGs they will have the range of a HMG.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:43 pm

Fordorsia wrote:If you stack MGs they will have the range of a HMG.

Fourdooristan I can't tell at times if you're really uninformed or a Brit with a fetish in volley sights, or both.

Purp would be believable if he was some Tibetan backwater still faffing around with matchlocks. But... he isn't.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:47 pm

Who needs volley sights when you can use the large impact clouds to adjust your aim

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:48 pm

Fordorsia wrote:Who needs volley sights when you can use the large impact clouds to adjust your aim

Just bring a fucking 75 mm field gun. Is that so very fucking bloody hard?
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MT/MagicT

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:48 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Purpelia wrote:I basically don't have a HMG. I have 7.5mm, 20mm and nothing in between. Lore reasons. So basically I wanted something for those early war years until I can start getting away with proper 40's fighters that just have like 5x20mm or 4x20mm + 30mm or something fun like that.

So... you have basically no machine guns until they somehow magically spring into existence fully formed in 1920 or equivalent, and then you have no machine guns that can hit back at enemies with M2HB's without waiting while heavily suppressed for your armoured support.

He said he no HMGs.

This is in-line with literally every European power, which was using 8mm or 7.7mm or 7.5mm machine guns and maybe a 20mm cannon in the prop hub.

Only the United States was using the .50 cal.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Fordorsia wrote:Who needs volley sights when you can use the large impact clouds to adjust your aim

Just bring a fucking 75 mm field gun. Is that so very fucking bloody hard?

This is standard on frod attack planes, yes

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Just bring a fucking 75 mm field gun. Is that so very fucking bloody hard?

This is standard on frod attack planes, yes

This is the infantry thread Fourdooristan.

MT/MagicT

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:58 pm

Your planes don't act as infantry? What a nub

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:58 pm

Fordorsia wrote:Your planes don't act as infantry? What a nub

You do not want to get me started.

MT/MagicT

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:11 pm

Purpelia wrote:I basically don't have a HMG. I have 7.5mm, 20mm and nothing in between. Lore reasons. So basically I wanted something for those early war years until I can start getting away with proper 40's fighters that just have like 5x20mm or 4x20mm + 30mm or something fun like that.

Did you miss the part about 7.5 as in 7.5mm machine guns?

Gallia- wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:So... you have basically no machine guns until they somehow magically spring into existence fully formed in 1920 or equivalent, and then you have no machine guns that can hit back at enemies with M2HB's without waiting while heavily suppressed for your armoured support.

He said he no HMGs.

This is in-line with literally every European power, which was using 8mm or 7.7mm or 7.5mm machine guns and maybe a 20mm cannon in the prop hub.

This.
Last edited by Purpelia on Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myrist
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 01, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Myrist » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:53 pm

quick point of divergence, if you wouldn`t mind that is, most people stick with USMC like squads (12-13 men). For personal reasons, uneven numbers annoy me and don`t make logistical sense in my opinion, I was thinking of going the route of an eight men squad. giving the ability to split into two fire teams of four men each. In WWII squads were broken into assaulting, pinning, and maneuver elements. I am looking at making my military essentially modular while making the basic fire teams as efficient as possible in terms of firepower, mobility, and tactical flexibility. The basic layout would be two automatic riflemen in the squad, four riflemen, and then two grenadiers. The Grenadiers are usually the team leaders. Point of this lay out is so that the squad can bring the max amount of firepower that they can proficiently handle. Underlying idea of mine is that a small well equipped unit can be better led in comparison to a larger squad. This is also reflected in the platoon, the platoon will be 36 strong. This is including the HQ fire team, which consists of the Pl, radiomen, medic, and PltSgt. This may seem like it`s lacking the ability to combat vehicles and enemy armor, this is where the most complications can come in. The infantry arm is split into two services, the mechanized and light. While the eight men squad will still be in use in the light infantry it`ll be slightly different in loadout to reflect their nature of featherweight and rapid combat. Basic infantrymen use a 5.56mm, pushrod powered rifle. Automatic riflemen use a heavy free floated barrel, along the premise that while fully automatic is needed there are times where the fire team still needs to hit targets at 500m as accurately as the standard trooper can hit a 200m. This follows the recent adoption of the IAR 27 in the USMC, though this is being contemplated for general adoption instead of SAW/DMR use. I apologize for the rambling, i`ve been off and on active in many different nations through the year and on this fourm.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:41 pm

Myrist wrote:quick point of divergence, if you wouldn`t mind that is, most people stick with USMC like squads (12-13 men). For personal reasons, uneven numbers annoy me and don`t make logistical sense in my opinion, I was thinking of going the route of an eight men squad. giving the ability to split into two fire teams of four men each. In WWII squads were broken into assaulting, pinning, and maneuver elements. I am looking at making my military essentially modular while making the basic fire teams as efficient as possible in terms of firepower, mobility, and tactical flexibility. The basic layout would be two automatic riflemen in the squad, four riflemen, and then two grenadiers. The Grenadiers are usually the team leaders. Point of this lay out is so that the squad can bring the max amount of firepower that they can proficiently handle. Underlying idea of mine is that a small well equipped unit can be better led in comparison to a larger squad. This is also reflected in the platoon, the platoon will be 36 strong. This is including the HQ fire team, which consists of the Pl, radiomen, medic, and PltSgt. This may seem like it`s lacking the ability to combat vehicles and enemy armor, this is where the most complications can come in. The infantry arm is split into two services, the mechanized and light. While the eight men squad will still be in use in the light infantry it`ll be slightly different in loadout to reflect their nature of featherweight and rapid combat. Basic infantrymen use a 5.56mm, pushrod powered rifle. Automatic riflemen use a heavy free floated barrel, along the premise that while fully automatic is needed there are times where the fire team still needs to hit targets at 500m as accurately as the standard trooper can hit a 200m. This follows the recent adoption of the IAR 27 in the USMC, though this is being contemplated for general adoption instead of SAW/DMR use. I apologize for the rambling, i`ve been off and on active in many different nations through the year and on this fourm.

I'm interested as to where you heard the notion that "most people" use 13-man squads. Because IRL, "most" squads are much smaller (the US Army uses 9-man squads and they have a lot more squads than the USMC by simply virtue of being twice the size) and in NS most that I've seen tend to use the same US Army-style layout, which is a two-fireteam squad. So somewhere between 7-10 men or so. Although I know some of the hipsters like larger squads.

USMC squads are 13 men because they're composed of three four-man fireteams and the squad leader. This is also the reason why US Army squads have nine men, they have two four-man fireteams and a squad leader.

Your organization is very similar to a number of existing squad structures, but is perhaps closest to the British because they also have 8-man squads with two fireteams. But in the case of the British, one fireteam has a GPMG while the other has a sharpshooter in place of an extra rifleman (so each has a grenadier, auto rifleman with an LMG, team leader who serves as a rifleman, and either a GMPG or sharpshooter). The US Army's squad is similar but has a separate squad leader (the 9th man) and instead of a GPMG one rifleman is the designated anti-tank gunner who carries the AT4, or Javelin.

Which is why I would say your squads are really quite lightly equipped. The addition of a heavier machine gun as in the British model, an anti-armor gunner as in the US model, or a mortarman as in the French model would help bulk it up because fortified positions are very common and right now your squads are short on range and firepower to engage them. The anti-tank gunner in the US model isn't just for shooting at actual tanks. They spend most of their time shooting at bunkers and improvised infantry fighting positions.
Last edited by The Akasha Colony on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Theodosiya
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Theodosiya » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:27 pm

2 fireteams and a weapon team is better than 2 fire team.
Last edited by Theodosiya on Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The strong rules over the weak
And the weak are ruled by the strong
It is the natural order

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:29 pm

It's pretty much a British section from the 80s/early 90s although they didn't get GLs until the 2000s instead a couple of riflemen got given CLAW rifle grenades.

Following experience in the early 90s a minimi replaced one of the LSWs and in the 2000s replaced both, although the LSW did stick around as a supplementary weapon.

Afghanistan and Iraq really drove the supplemental weapon thing which is where the GPMGs and DMRs (the DMR replacing L96s that had become spare following the movement of the snipers to L115) appearing in the section came from. The basic standard format section is still 2 rifkes with UGL, 2 LMGs and 4 rifles but each section does have access to a gpmg and a DMR that can replace any of the standard weapons in the section so naturally squadies bomb up as much as possible. There are also a bunch of AT4s, NLAWs and sometimes a javelin available although the javelin tends to stay in the battalion AT platoon.

US army squads do something similar with thier javelins and m240s which ride in the wagon until needed.
Last edited by Crookfur on Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Laywenrania
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Laywenrania » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:55 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:So... you have basically no machine guns until they somehow magically spring into existence fully formed in 1920 or equivalent, and then you have no machine guns that can hit back at enemies with M2HB's without waiting while heavily suppressed for your armoured support.

He said he no HMGs.

Germany was using the 13mm p. e. in the Bf 109 G, USSR had the 12,7mm in it's Yak and maany other planes. Italian Machi C. 200 and other planes used 12,7 mm guns. Even the brits used in the spitfire E wing 12,7 mm MGs, even with their fetish for maaaany 7,7mm MGs
Factbook on II-Wiki
NationStates Factbooks
Factbook website

Nachmere wrote:Tanks are tough bastards.

Gallia- wrote: And I'm emotionally attached to large, cuddly, wide Objects.

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:57 pm

they used teh .50s because their favorite weapon configuration of quad 20s reduced maneuverability too much

when the spitfires got more powerful they dumped the .50 as fast as they could
Last edited by Laritaia on Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:20 am

Austrasien wrote:Do you realize the original post you responded to was about infrared camouflage? :eyebrow:

Did you just assume my reading comprehension?

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:07 pm

Myrist wrote:quick point of divergence, if you wouldn`t mind that is, most people stick with USMC like squads (12-13 men). For personal reasons, uneven numbers annoy me and don`t make logistical sense in my opinion, I was thinking of going the route of an eight men squad. giving the ability to split into two fire teams of four men each. In WWII squads were broken into assaulting, pinning, and maneuver elements. I am looking at making my military essentially modular while making the basic fire teams as efficient as possible in terms of firepower, mobility, and tactical flexibility. The basic layout would be two automatic riflemen in the squad, four riflemen, and then two grenadiers. The Grenadiers are usually the team leaders. Point of this lay out is so that the squad can bring the max amount of firepower that they can proficiently handle. Underlying idea of mine is that a small well equipped unit can be better led in comparison to a larger squad. This is also reflected in the platoon, the platoon will be 36 strong. This is including the HQ fire team, which consists of the Pl, radiomen, medic, and PltSgt. This may seem like it`s lacking the ability to combat vehicles and enemy armor, this is where the most complications can come in. The infantry arm is split into two services, the mechanized and light. While the eight men squad will still be in use in the light infantry it`ll be slightly different in loadout to reflect their nature of featherweight and rapid combat. Basic infantrymen use a 5.56mm, pushrod powered rifle. Automatic riflemen use a heavy free floated barrel, along the premise that while fully automatic is needed there are times where the fire team still needs to hit targets at 500m as accurately as the standard trooper can hit a 200m. This follows the recent adoption of the IAR 27 in the USMC, though this is being contemplated for general adoption instead of SAW/DMR use. I apologize for the rambling, i`ve been off and on active in many different nations through the year and on this fourm.

literally every man who isn't a rocket man or grenadier should be a machine gunner

and your machine gunners should have disposable rockets

13 man squads forever
Last edited by Nirvash Type TheEND on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unreachable.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information