NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 10: Shovel Edition [NO FWORDS]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:50 am

Alimeria- wrote:(Image) Made a gun for use in early cold war period equivalent, chambered in .276 Legionary (7x51mm of orphanmaking goodness)

No steal-y please. Stealing is for dirty kommunists, and kommunism is bad m'kay

But what if you steal to makes the sales? That is capitalism and thus good ;)

Really nice I likes.

Blancpayne: no need for Photoshop, gimp will do most that sort of stuff for free (if in a slightly more convoluted manner at times) and to be honest I'm not sure how good Photoshop is for actually drawing stuff rather than editing images.

It's also not just about skills, most those you can learn, its about having a clear vision in your mind and taking the time to lay it out, be it by doodling it on paper first or using bits from other images to inspire you. Everyone can draw and art it just takes time.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Blancpayne
Attaché

Founded: Apr 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Blancpayne » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:08 am

How do I gimp?
Bonjour, I am Grand Queen Dominique of the Kingdom of Blancpayne, a land of Medieval Society and SciFi Technology, where Knights fights in giant Mechas. They say that Blancpayne is a backwards and archaic nation where feudalism is rooted, I say they're just envious of our beauty and stability.

I look forward being your new neighbor. Cheers to a bright future!

"Trois Royaume Unis"
Blancpayne

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:20 am

Blancpayne wrote:How do I gimp?

there are like a million and one tutorials online

Rhodesialund
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:46 am

Go to your local BDSM shop, buy a latex or leather full body suit. Remember, get something that fits. Get a couple of buckles that are placed strategically all over the suit that allows optimal bondage. Don't forget a mask that covers the entire face except for the eyes, nostrils, and mouth. You could leave the ears open if you are into the ear fetish or not. That about sums it up.

The only thing left to go to is a Munch and your nightly BDSM club. Happy Travels! :rofl:
Name: Valintina/Tina
Bio: President Donald Trump's Concubine

Theodosiya
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Theodosiya » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:17 am

^
*A mechanized division, filled with 13 man squads, 30mm-Spike ER armed Marder 1A5, Marder "Light Tank/FSV, Leopard 2A7, Pzh 2000, Apaches and Black Hawks rolls into Rhodesialund
The strong rules over the weak
And the weak are ruled by the strong
It is the natural order

Rhodesialund
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodesialund » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:27 am

Theodosiya wrote:^
*A mechanized division, filled with 13 man squads, 30mm-Spike ER armed Marder 1A5, Marder "Light Tank/FSV, Leopard 2A7, Pzh 2000, Apaches and Black Hawks rolls into Rhodesialund

Wew, they must be submersibles since I'm an island nation. Remember, there are sharks in the ocean and some are larger than you expect. ;)
Name: Valintina/Tina
Bio: President Donald Trump's Concubine

Blancpayne
Attaché

Founded: Apr 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Blancpayne » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:24 am

NVM, I can't use gimp in Android.
Bonjour, I am Grand Queen Dominique of the Kingdom of Blancpayne, a land of Medieval Society and SciFi Technology, where Knights fights in giant Mechas. They say that Blancpayne is a backwards and archaic nation where feudalism is rooted, I say they're just envious of our beauty and stability.

I look forward being your new neighbor. Cheers to a bright future!

"Trois Royaume Unis"
Blancpayne

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:32 am

You gotta get a leather mask and some chains.

Guys help me, I think I'm diseased. Germanistanni guns are looking more and more appetizing by the day. The MG4 is looking breddy tasty right about now.
Unreachable.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:11 am

I have a question!

And the question is about SWORDS!

So, everyone knows that there have been some epic swords made in the pre-modern era. Some of those swords survive and we know that they have had some pretty epic metalworking involved.

That's great!

But what about the average sword of the era? The Roman Gladius, the swords of the landsknechts, etc? [Yes, I understand these are separated by centuries of metalworking advancement].

What were they like in terms of quality? How do they compare to the copies of these swords made today?

How much would it cost to mass-produce, today, a sword comparable to a Roman gladius in quality?
What about a 14th-century longsword? An 11th century arming sword?
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:19 am

Unreachable.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Guys help me, I think I'm diseased. Germanistanni guns are looking more and more appetizing by the day. The MG4 is looking breddy tasty right about now.

So, Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal Minimi with H&K trademarks stamped all over it?
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:06 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:http://av.zrc-sazu.si/pdf/55/AV55_Kmetic_et_al.pdf

So in plain English, Gladii were pretty crap?
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:29 pm

Allanea wrote:
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:http://av.zrc-sazu.si/pdf/55/AV55_Kmetic_et_al.pdf

So in plain English, Gladii were pretty crap?

Not necessarily. A decent iron sword is margionally better than a bronze sword. More importantly iron is cheap as dirt. Work hardened bloom iron is fine for equipping the unwashed hordes of Germanic auxiliaries or the proud legiones.
Unreachable.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:19 pm

Allanea wrote:I have a question!

So, everyone knows that there have been some epic swords made in the pre-modern era. Some of those swords survive and we know that they have had some pretty epic metalworking involved.

That's great!

But what about the average sword of the era? The Roman Gladius, the swords of the landsknechts, etc? [Yes, I understand these are separated by centuries of metalworking advancement].

What were they like in terms of quality? How do they compare to the copies of these swords made today?

How much would it cost to mass-produce, today, a sword comparable to a Roman gladius in quality?

as for cost of modern mass production a quick look at modern machetes and other big brush knives would point to a retail price of about $30-40 for a gladius, about $60-70 for an arming sword and maybe about $100-120 for a long sword.

This is assuming you have invested in the production methods and are going for very large volumes to make stuff truely cheap. Other wise you are looking at Cold steel level prices ie $300-500 retail
The Kingdom of Crookfur

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:22 pm

Allanea wrote:What were they like in terms of quality? How do they compare to the copies of these swords made today?

Modern steel is universally superior to anything produced before the early 20th century on account of the fact that it is consistent. And this consistency is what allows us to fine tune the exact properties of steel. So in terms of the replicas any functional sword replica that is not just a decorative stainless steel wall hanger decoration is going to be just plain superior.

Probably a lot more than just making it out of cheap tool steel using grinding machines. You would actually have to invest quite a lot of resources and labor into doing things wrong in order to get the sort of inconsistent steel quality and generally crappy* workmanship.

* Crappy compared to modern factory made stuff. Even superb things from back in the day < what you can do in a factory with little effort today thanks to modern industrial methods.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:30 pm

Blancpayne wrote:NVM, I can't use gimp in Android.

Then there isn't much i can suggest. I already hate arting and image editing using a touchpad on the work laptop, so i can't imagine how horrible i would find trying to do anything on a tablet or phone.

For what its worth i have heard that Autodesk sketchbook is a pretty decent android drawing/painting app.
The Kingdom of Crookfur

Free-Don
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Free-Don » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:33 pm

30mm mortar with a the possibility of using smart laser guided shaped charges. Allowing a range of 1500+ meters at around 5kg. with baseplate, monopod, and bubble sight included. Acts as a squad support weapon alongside rifle grenades and dedicated grenade launchers.

The same mortar shell would be used in vehicle mounted mortar-gun systems and is being used in a military force that is still largely horse based and lacks production for much more complicated grenade launchers.

Debating on increasing caliber to 40mm (more weight).

Debating on high-low propulsion (adds cost and maintenance issues?).

Debating on using more rifle grenades (lighter than a metal tube and nail).

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:46 pm

would be less useful then a 40mm UGL

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:50 pm

Free-Don wrote:30mm mortar with a the possibility of using smart laser guided shaped charges. Allowing a range of 1500+ meters at around 5kg. with baseplate, monopod, and bubble sight included. Acts as a squad support weapon alongside rifle grenades and dedicated grenade launchers.

The same mortar shell would be used in vehicle mounted mortar-gun systems and is being used in a military force that is still largely horse based and lacks production for much more complicated grenade launchers.

Debating on increasing caliber to 40mm (more weight).

Debating on high-low propulsion (adds cost and maintenance issues?).

Debating on using more rifle grenades (lighter than a metal tube and nail).

Consiering for more or less the same weight you can get a 60mm commando mortar with a more useful payload and similar range I would say its a bit pointless.

30mm HEAT is generally pretty crap giving you at best 1.5-2" penetration and its unlikly a laser guided round of that size would have any useful payload
The Kingdom of Crookfur

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Allanea wrote:I have a question!

That's great!

Summing up all the replies, pre-modern swords are by no means bad in general. Yes you could get very cheaply and poorly made swords, but in general they were perfectly fine. It's just that modern steel is basically witchcraft maybe not to middle ages plebs, but certainly to your average Roman blacksmith pleb.

To put it in perspective, pick a sharp knife out of a drawer or buy a relatively inexpensive carbon steel sword with a well made hilt. Congratulations you're the proud owner of something no one before the late 19th century could have ever owned.

Don't even get me started on high end stuff like Albion or even higher end custom swords. Swords meant to be high end before the modern period, you know, worse than modern swords, were monstrously expensive. Whereas an Albion will set you back up to a grand and a very detailed super good custom piece could be a few thousand, which is pretty cheap in comparison.

Swords make my pussy hard
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:36 pm

Free-Don wrote:30mm mortar with a the possibility of using smart laser guided shaped charges. Allowing a range of 1500+ meters at around 5kg. with baseplate, monopod, and bubble sight included. Acts as a squad support weapon alongside rifle grenades and dedicated grenade launchers.

Horse based and cannot produce a grenade launcher but produces laser guided grenades?

I don't think you appreciate how little sense that makes. Actual third world countries can produce grenade launchers. The closest thing to a 40mm laser guide projectile is a US military prototype that is 40mm.
Last edited by Austrasien on Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:39 pm

sssswoooordz

someone please buy me a lifetime license of flash to I can go back to my roots and bring us back to the light
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

-AlEmAnNiA-
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 19, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby -AlEmAnNiA- » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:04 pm

great contribution, lanos

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:08 pm

Fordorsia wrote:sssswoooordz

(Image)

someone please buy me a lifetime license of flash to I can go back to my roots and bring us back to the light
you don't even do swept hilts tho
Unreachable.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information