NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 10: Shovel Edition [NO FWORDS]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:51 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:Horses don't do that. At least not the ones I've worked with, and I ride with some seriously good equestrians. Or if they can be trained to stand still when left alone, I've yet to meet one that can do that.

Horses I've ridden would just stand around and wait for you to come back if you needed to go do something.

Would they do the same if you shot a gun close enough for them to hear?

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:22 pm

Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:When dragoons dismounted to fight on foot, what did they do to their horses? Did dragoons carry a spike to tie their horse to, or did some dragoons stay with the horses to make sure they didn't get away?

Typically 1 in 4 or 5 dragoons stayed with the horses when they were operating dismounted. The horses would generally be moved a distance away from the action but would be ready to be brought forward and rapidly recounted should it be required.

Pretty much the same scenario existed for most of your mid 19th to early 20th century mounted units.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Puzikas » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:44 am

Prosorusiya wrote:Puzikas, out of interest, what kind of units in Soviet Army had COIN training? Was it only the Spetznav, or were their MP units that could do that as well? Looking for the sort of troops that might make good "peacekeepers". Also, were MVD ever deployed outside of the Soviet Union, like in Afghanistan?

On a more general note, what are the protocols for INTERPOL deploying police in foreign countries? Can they deploy foreign police to other countries? Or do they just work with local forces?

Before 1982, only the KGB and some SpetSnaz units would showcase a level of compitance in combating an insurgency. The Soviets sent advisors all over the world to teach how to fight an insurgency, something the USSR was highly proficient in as a result of its partisans in WWII, but had never really had to fight a modern insurgency.

After 1982, when the USSR learned much from it's conflict in Afghanistan, the bulk of Soviet units being trained for the GSFA or SpetSnaz units being rotated in would receive mountaineering, engineering, small unit tactic, and/or Airmobility training. By the stage in which the USSR was in it's draw down, the bulk of the actual combat forces were trained in some degree of COIN
The MPs were included in this.

The MVD have been deployed outside of the USSR and Russia but those operations are at best foggy and at worse highly compartmentalized information.
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:44 am

Anyone have sauce on the general performance of 5.45x18mm? Does it make for a semi-decent round at close to very close ranges?

I pretty much want to have a similar round based on .380 ACP (which has a 17mm long case and has a bigger base diameter I think) which would neck down to like 5.6-5.7mm diameter (the 5.45x18mm actually has a 5.63mm diameter bullet). This would be for a pistol based on the RL blowback Seecamp pocket pistols because they seem to make the smallest .380 around. You could switch between the two cartridges with a barrel swap. Is it practical to have both cartridges engineered to generate the same blowback so they cycle correctly in the gun?

It has practically a 2" barrel. Obviously the purpose would be as a "deep cover" / backup gun for police and other sneaky special applications.

My main 7.62x25/9x25 pistol also has a subcompact and slimline subcompact variants, so the above wouldn't be the sole option for the roles that I've stated.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:24 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:Anyone have sauce on the general performance of 5.45x18mm? Does it make for a semi-decent round at close to very close ranges?

I pretty much want to have a similar round based on .380 ACP (which has a 17mm long case and has a bigger base diameter I think) which would neck down to like 5.6-5.7mm diameter (the 5.45x18mm actually has a 5.63mm diameter bullet). This would be for a pistol based on the RL blowback Seecamp pocket pistols because they seem to make the smallest .380 around. You could switch between the two cartridges with a barrel swap. Is it practical to have both cartridges engineered to generate the same blowback so they cycle correctly in the gun?

It has practically a 2" barrel. Obviously the purpose would be as a "deep cover" / backup gun for police and other sneaky special applications.

My main 7.62x25/9x25 pistol also has a subcompact and slimline subcompact variants, so the above wouldn't be the sole option for the roles that I've stated.

I'm skeptical of pistol ammunition smaller than .32 ACP because it tends to underpenetrate.

I don't know much about the 5.45x18, but I doubt it has adequate penetration behind body armor.

Remember, bullets can be great at penetrating certain mediums and terrible at penetrating other seemingly weaker mediums.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:34 pm

It's slightly more powerful than .22lr.
It is not gud

Goodbye.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:36 pm

If it were the only pistol cartridge we wouldn't have nearsightedness.

Because all nearsighted people would lose noontime duels due to shot placement.

Martial superiority assured.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:02 pm

OK, so it's not going to be any better than .380 ACP at penetrating armor (which isn't much) (or even if it was, terminal effects are so weak it's still shit) ? So there's no reason to bother and I should just use .380 ACP?
Last edited by DnalweN acilbupeR on Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:54 pm

If you're worried about penetrating armor with a pistol you're already having a very bad day.
Unreachable.

Tule
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:22 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:OK, so it's not going to be any better than .380 ACP at penetrating armor (which isn't much) (or even if it was, terminal effects are so weak it's still shit) ? So there's no reason to bother and I should just use .380 ACP?

9x19 mm ammo exists which will penetrate soft body armor quite easily. As does 7.62x25 and most "sidearm" cartridges.

But if you want something concealable that will also go through kevlar at close range, you might as well use a dagger.
Last edited by Tule on Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

EsToVnIa
Senator

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:42 pm

9mm Pansy is literally the worst cartridge ever invented

.40 S&W or bust
Most Heavenly State/Khamgiin Tengerleg Uls

Weeaboo Gassing Land wrote:Also, rev up the gas chambers.

The United States of North Amerigo wrote:CUNT

12:02:02 AM <Tarsas> premislyd is my spirit animal tbh

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:58 pm

9mm has probably killed more people than there exists .40 S&W cartridges.

9x19mm is probably the optimal handgun cartridge. Like 5.56x45mm is the optimal rifle cartridge.
Last edited by Gallia- on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:13 pm

9mm only causes flesh wounds
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Tule
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:53 pm

It's not the size or the speed that counts. It's just a matter of hitting the right spots.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:39 pm

Fordorsia wrote:9mm only causes flesh wounds

Tell that to Oan Ali Mohammed.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Norcourt
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 04, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Norcourt » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:40 pm

I think this is a bit too modern for 1918, but hey...Alternate universe, eh?
A PROUD MEMBER OF THE FEDERATION OF ALLIES!
Host nation of Nuza

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:11 pm

Gallia- wrote:9mm has probably killed more people than there exists .40 S&W cartridges.

9x19mm is probably the optimal handgun cartridge. Like 5.56x45mm is the optimal rifle cartridge.

On that logic the best rifle cartridge is the 8mm Mauser.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:24 pm

What I love about Galla is he's always on that next level shit

Goodbye.

Eisarn-Ara
Minister

Founded: Oct 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eisarn-Ara » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:45 am

Gallia- wrote:
Tule wrote:It's not the size or the speed that counts. It's just a matter of hitting the right spots.

Even if those spots are behind very thick clothing!

Just use 9x40mm Lija dude.
Ave Nex Alea
Glory & Victory unto the Pact!
I'm pro thrall-taking, are you?
Immigrants're grody; Paris, Berlin & Brussels proved that.
Serbia, Hungary, Austria & Finland have the right idea, preserve European Cultural Integrity!
Dictating matters of policy & legality because of "feelings" is foolhardy at best, and the reason why SJWism is cancerous at worst.
Altruism is worthless outside of a community and in small doses.
We owe you nothing, and you'll like it.
Arabs cannot do "Modern War"
You are all terrible.

Blacksmith/Metallurgist btw(Mostly Blades) & Academic Reconstructionist Heathen of the Continental Variety, Legitimate Sneering Western Imperialist, Western Classicalist

The Archangel Conglomerate
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Archangel Conglomerate » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:26 am

Best solution
(\/)(•,,,,•)(\/)
Please, call me Arch

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:For want of lances, the heavy equipment never reached the field.

For want of heavy equipment the platoons FOs could direct no HMGs.

For want of HMGs, the Archians had to rely on shitty fucking microcalibers.

For want of real weapons, they lost the war.

Eisarn-Ara
Minister

Founded: Oct 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eisarn-Ara » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:39 am

Ave Nex Alea
Glory & Victory unto the Pact!
I'm pro thrall-taking, are you?
Immigrants're grody; Paris, Berlin & Brussels proved that.
Serbia, Hungary, Austria & Finland have the right idea, preserve European Cultural Integrity!
Dictating matters of policy & legality because of "feelings" is foolhardy at best, and the reason why SJWism is cancerous at worst.
Altruism is worthless outside of a community and in small doses.
We owe you nothing, and you'll like it.
Arabs cannot do "Modern War"
You are all terrible.

Blacksmith/Metallurgist btw(Mostly Blades) & Academic Reconstructionist Heathen of the Continental Variety, Legitimate Sneering Western Imperialist, Western Classicalist

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:45 am

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:If you're worried about penetrating armor with a pistol you're already having a very bad day.

This would not be intended to penetrate like NIJ IV plates to any degree, but rather most probably concealable armor like maybe NIJ 1 / 2A / 2 or something.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:48 pm

Shit like that 7.5FK Brno and 9x19mm 7N21/31 are intended to defeat armor beyond what they normally would be able to do in a given spectrum
Though 7.5FK is not intended to do it in sure a FMJ loading would have penetration within 50m near par with 5.56

Goodbye.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information