NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 10: Shovel Edition [NO FWORDS]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:57 pm

Gallia- wrote:However, he could do a sensible thing and use a machine gun that isn't made by an Old World traitor aka Browning.

that's crazy talk

Our Ladia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Our Ladia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:07 pm

Norcourt wrote:is a semi-auto, 50 Cal, anti tank rifle, a plausible thing for use in the 1920s\30s?

(Image)

...btw that bipod is over folding

Sadly, no. From what I can find, no anti tank rifle of that period was semi automatic. Nor was anything else besides AT guns. However, the Finns had the Lahti L-39 in limited use during late 1939. These were semi automatic 20mm AT rifles that could also be fired in full auto. Of course, it was heavy at 106 lb. So at the earliest you could use your AT rifle is 1939. Later in 1941 the Soviets used the PTDR 41 14 mm semi automatic AT rifle. This was much lighter at 46 lb due to the smaller caliber.

So that will give it a nice lifespan of 3 years in the AT role. But even after that it could still be used for other, lightly skinned and more numerous AFVs on the front. It will also be useful in the anti bunker role.
Nope, Our Ladia has yet to go to war with anyone.

Norcourtian Armouries (defunct)

Alliance Talk between Finnian Bastada and The Protectorate: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=365136

A PROUD MEMBER OF THE FEDERATION OF ALLIES!

_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:09 pm

Our Ladia wrote:
Norcourt wrote:is a semi-auto, 50 Cal, anti tank rifle, a plausible thing for use in the 1920s\30s?

(Image)

Sadly, no. From what I can find, no anti tank rifle of that period was semi automatic. Nor was anything else besides AT guns. However, the Finns had the Lahti L-39 in limited use during late 1939. These were semi automatic 20mm AT rifles that could also be fired in full auto. Of course, it was heavy at 106 lb. So at the earliest you could use your AT rifle is 1939. Later in 1941 the Soviets used the PTDR 41 14 mm semi automatic AT rifle. This was much lighter at 46 lb due to the smaller caliber.

So that will give it a nice lifespan of 3 years in the AT role. But even after that it could still be used for other, lightly skinned and more numerous AFVs on the front. It will also be useful in the anti bunker role.

Our Ladia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Our Ladia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:13 pm

Laritaia wrote:
Our Ladia wrote:

Is that beauty a .50 call semi automatic Brownie AT rifle made in the early 1930s?
Last edited by Our Ladia on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alliance Talk between Finnian Bastada and The Protectorate: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=365136

_[' ]_

Our Ladia
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Our Ladia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:16 pm

Gallia- wrote:https://www.forgottenweapons.com/browning-m2-anti-mechanization-weapon/

I do love it when I'm wrong in these types of things.

_[' ]_

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:18 pm

the problem was that it was worse in every conceivable way then a regular M2 machinegun

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:44 pm

The M2 was literally designed as a .50 Cal anti tank weapon for infantry. They just decided semi auto was pointless and artificially limited the capability of the weapon.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Norcourt
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 04, 2015
Father Knows Best State

Postby Norcourt » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:55 pm

Our Ladia wrote:

(Image)

Ahhh, then I shall make it initially used as an AT Rifle, but then later use it as an Anti Material Rifle!
Host nation of Nuza

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:08 pm

(Image)

The fins Lahti L-39 is quite literally a .79 cal(20mm) semi-auto AT rifle. So what i'm saying is es you can certainly come up with something that is in effect a smaller version of said weapon in the 30s i'm pretty sure. Suggestion, place the mag on the top. Allows you to have a higher capacity mag without interfering with your ability to go prone so much.
Last edited by Kazarogkai on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Norcourt
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Norcourt » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:01 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:

(Image)

The fins Lahti L-39 is quite literally a .79 cal(20mm) semi-auto AT rifle. So what i'm saying is es you can certainly come up with something that is in effect a smaller version of said weapon in the 30s i'm pretty sure. Suggestion, place the mag on the top. Allows you to have a higher capacity mag without interfering with your ability to go prone so much.

I suppose 5 Rounds is good enough against light tanks, and I fear it would interrupt with the charging handle (It looks pretty cool on top, but I see your point).
Host nation of Nuza

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:13 am

Norcourt wrote:
Kazarogkai wrote:

I suppose 5 Rounds is good enough against light tanks, and I fear it would interrupt with the charging handle (It looks pretty cool on top, but I see your point).

Perfectly plausible. Really, just look at this page and read all the articles and you will understand: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anti-tank_rifles
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Norcourt
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Norcourt » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:18 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Norcourt wrote:

Perfectly plausible. Really, just look at this page and read all the articles and you will understand: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anti-tank_rifles

I've come to understand that many AT Rifles were single shot anyways. So I have come to understand that 5 Rounds is enough (especially when operated in a crew, where swift reloading is possible)
Host nation of Nuza

Norcourt
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Norcourt » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:19 pm

GUN JESUS HAS JUST MADE A VIDEO ON THE AMERICAN 180! :D
Host nation of Nuza

Federated Kingdom of Prussia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Federated Kingdom of Prussia » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:41 pm

When dragoons dismounted to fight on foot, what did they do to their horses? Did dragoons carry a spike to tie their horse to, or did some dragoons stay with the horses to make sure they didn't get away?

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:46 pm

Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:When dragoons dismounted to fight on foot, what did they do to their horses? Did dragoons carry a spike to tie their horse to, or did some dragoons stay with the horses to make sure they didn't get away?

Ideally in a pickle they'd be trained to stay put by themselves
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:49 pm

Anyone have sauce on the general performance of 5.45x18mm? Does it make for a semi-decent round at close to very close ranges?

I pretty much want to have a similar round based on .380 ACP (which has a 17mm long case and has a bigger base diameter I think) which would neck down to like 5.6-5.7mm diameter (the 5.45x18mm actually has a 5.63mm diameter bullet). This would be for a pistol based on the RL blowback Seecamp pocket pistols because they seem to make the smallest .380 around. You could switch between the two cartridges with a barrel swap. Is it practical to have both cartridges engineered to generate the same blowback so they cycle correctly in the gun?

It has practically a 2" barrel. Obviously the purpose would be as a "deep cover" / backup gun for police and other sneaky special applications.

My main 7.62x25/9x25 pistol also has a subcompact and slimline subcompact variants, so the above wouldn't be the sole option for the roles that I've stated.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Federated Kingdom of Prussia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Federated Kingdom of Prussia » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:When dragoons dismounted to fight on foot, what did they do to their horses? Did dragoons carry a spike to tie their horse to, or did some dragoons stay with the horses to make sure they didn't get away?

Horses don't do that. At least not the ones I've worked with, and I ride with some seriously good equestrians. Or if they can be trained to stand still when left alone, I've yet to meet one that can do that.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:21 pm

Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

Horses don't do that. At least not the ones I've worked with, and I ride with some seriously good equestrians. Or if they can be trained to stand still when left alone, I've yet to meet one that can do that.

Horses I've ridden would just stand around and wait for you to come back if you needed to go do something.

But if the dragoons were dismounting in their own time, I imagine they'd have hooks for putting in the ground or something like that.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Norcourt
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Norcourt » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:46 pm

Did a thing. Tis supposed to be a belt fed, Light Machine Gun thing. Dunno what else to call it.

EDIT: Forgot to put panel to lift up upper reciever, *facepalm*

EDIT 2: Fixed
Last edited by Norcourt on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Host nation of Nuza

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information