NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 10: Shovel Edition [NO FWORDS]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Puzikas » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:25 am

M4A1s, AK-74M2s, H&K 416A5s, QBZ-95, AKMs, and various special purpose rifles
AK-12 is a meme that will never happen and is already dead
Much to Gallas Chagrin the M4 steady marches on in the only Western state that matters anymore
He&K will shill it's rifle until it can no longer draw breath
China rifle will stay where it is
And AKMs will be in use until the end of ends

E: however if Russia chooses to adopt the A545 I will be rather pleased as it represents and advantage in basically every way over the existing Kalashnikov systems and will be one of the few major advances (an actual recoil mitigation system built into the weapon) in small arms since 1967
Last edited by Puzikas on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:26 am

Theodosiya wrote:SO, for foreseeable future, we'll use M16s, AK-12s, HK 416s?

when in the light of the dying sun the last man kills the penultimate man for the last oxygen tank in existence among the rings of Saturn it will be with an AR-15.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 am

Wait I have something for this

Hey Aquiz are you still around/alive my dude?
Last edited by Puzikas on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goodbye.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:41 am

Kazarogkai wrote:Depends on what you mean by "man-portable". I can see some type of Bazooka sized shoulder fired laser cannon for AT purposes in maybe a couple decades.

Very unlikely. Your average human being simply can not use a kinetic anti tank weapon that can threaten modern armor and survive the recoil. Relatively recoilles missiles and rockets will always be preferable for this reason. And an EM guns one and only advantage would be wasted on those.

And lasers and plasma just won't work due to physics.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Gallan Systems
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallan Systems » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:50 am

Laritaia wrote:
Theodosiya wrote:SO, for foreseeable future, we'll use M16s, AK-12s, HK 416s?

when in the light of the dying sun the last man kills the penultimate man for the last oxygen tank in existence among the rings of Saturn it will be with an AR-15.

mfg. 1967

the first m16a1 kills the last enemy

the final gat

his war is over
Last edited by Gallan Systems on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
And yet they came out to the stars not just with their lusts and their hatred and their fears, but with their technology and their medicine, their heroes as well as their villains. Most of the races of the galaxy had been painted by the Creator in pastels; Men were primaries.

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:51 am

Kazarogkai wrote:
Theodosiya wrote:When will portable laser/plasma or even magnetic gun will be available for average GI?

Depends on what you mean by "man-portable". I can see some type of Bazooka sized shoulder fired laser cannon for AT purposes in maybe a couple decades.

Lasers are perhaps the worst choice for destroying a heavily protected target. Even if personnel lasers were a thing this is one the applications they would not be used for.

Kazarogkai wrote:Helps logistics not having to make and then drag in cartfuls of material from a far away place to another far away place now you can resupply on the battlefield itself.

No, replacing bullets with even more fuel will not benefit anyone.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Theodosiya
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Theodosiya » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:02 am

well, how about proliferation of smoothbores?
The strong rules over the weak
And the weak are ruled by the strong
It is the natural order

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:05 am

Theodosiya wrote:well, how about proliferation of smoothbores?

what do you mean?

Theodosiya
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Theodosiya » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:06 am

Laritaia wrote:
Theodosiya wrote:well, how about proliferation of smoothbores?

what do you mean?

Dart gun or something like that. Given tank gun nowadays are 120/125mm Smoothbore, would small arms goes that way too?
It is the natural order

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:08 am

Theodosiya wrote:
Laritaia wrote:
what do you mean?

Dart gun or something like that. Given tank gun nowadays are 120/125mm Smoothbore, would small arms goes that way too?

probably not.

The Styer ACR while a fascinating weapon from an operating perspective, it's choice of projectile is a dead end.

The Archangel Conglomerate
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Archangel Conglomerate » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:19 am

The flechette is the only viable way forward for small arms ammunition. Mitty arrow marches eternal

Made a thing
(\/)(•,,,,•)(\/)
Please, call me Arch

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:For want of lances, the heavy equipment never reached the field.

For want of heavy equipment the platoons FOs could direct no HMGs.

For want of HMGs, the Archians had to rely on shitty fucking microcalibers.

For want of real weapons, they lost the war.

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:29 am

The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:The flechette is the only viable way forward for small arms ammunition. Mitty arrow marches eternal

Made a thing
(Image)

the results of the ACR trials suggest otherwise

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Archangel Conglomerate » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:53 am

I seem to recal said trials indicating greater accuracy, penetration and potential terminal effectiveness
(\/)(•,,,,•)(\/)
Please, call me Arch

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:For want of lances, the heavy equipment never reached the field.

EsToVnIa
Senator

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:59 am

which is why it got adopted
Most Heavenly State/Khamgiin Tengerleg Uls

Weeaboo Gassing Land wrote:Also, rev up the gas chambers.

The United States of North Amerigo wrote:CUNT

12:02:02 AM <Tarsas> premislyd is my spirit animal tbh

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:00 am

Puzikas wrote:M4A1s, AK-74M2s, H&K 416A5s, QBZ-95, AKMs, and various special purpose rifles
Much to Gallas Chagrin the M4 steady marches on in the only Western state that matters anymore

E: however if Russia chooses to adopt the A545 I will be rather pleased as it represents and advantage in basically every way over the existing Kalashnikov systems and will be one of the few major advances (an actual recoil mitigation system built into the weapon) in small arms since 1967

Latest rumors are that the Russians are doing both AK-12 and A545?
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Archangel Conglomerate » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:01 am

Might also have been due to the tremendous costs and risks involved with trensitioning to such a new and relatively unproven round. Or it may not have been better enough. Either is possible, though I'd bet on it being both
(\/)(•,,,,•)(\/)
Please, call me Arch

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:26 am

"Although the Steyr design proved effective, as did most of the weapons submitted, the entire ACR program ended with none of the entrants achieving performance 100% better than the M16A2, the baseline for a successful ACR weapon."

It seems that the standards were just a bit too high honestly. Not exactly fair nor reasonable but whatever. Also from what I remember, weren't the guns that used these things rifled not smooth bored?
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Federated Kingdom of Prussia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Federated Kingdom of Prussia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:30 am

In the Napoleonic Wars and Seven Years' War, how many volleys between regular infantry formations were exchanged before one or both sides charged? From my readings, massed bayonet fights between two large infantry formations almost never happened, although small-scale bayonet fights were relatively common. I've also heard that infantry in the US Civil War suffered higher casualty rates than European observers were used to, because both sides often stood off and kept shooting, without ever resorting to the bayonet.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:36 am

Taihei Tengoku wrote:
Puzikas wrote:M4A1s, AK-74M2s, H&K 416A5s, QBZ-95, AKMs, and various special purpose rifles

Latest rumors are that the Russians are doing both AK-12 and A545?

It's not the *real* AK-12, they've renamed it to the AK400 and changed it a fair bit.
I don't see either being adopted standard, and I see the AK-74M2 being the standard. They have, IIRC, about 10,000 of each in field trials, mostly with the MVD, FSB and SpetSnaz.
The thing is all of the upgrades to the AK-74M2 are similar to those of the AK-12: receiver rail improvement, modular foreend, adjustable and folding stock, ect. These are all things special units have been doing in Russia since the late 90s.
The only way forward aught to be the A545. I used the AEK-971 and I genuinely found it to be Superior to the AK-74M in most regards.

The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:potential terminal effectiveness

Reeeeee

Kazarogkai wrote:It seems that the standards were just a bit too high honestly

Oh are we going over the ACR program again
Because I can go over that with a fine tooth comb for you

Goodbye.

Gallan Systems
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallan Systems » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:37 am

Kazarogkai wrote:"Although the Steyr design proved effective, as did most of the weapons submitted, the entire ACR program ended with none of the entrants achieving performance 100% better than the M16A2, the baseline for a successful ACR weapon."

It seems that the standards were just a bit too high honestly. Not exactly fair nor reasonable but whatever. Also from what I remember, weren't the guns that used these things rifled not smooth bored?

It's the difference between 3/10 and 6/10 hits on a target range.

They decided that boomy bullets would make it easier to kill people because you wouldn't have to hit them.

This was pre-TrackingPoint so computer assisted aiming was a bit far away. Approximately three decades away.
Last edited by Gallan Systems on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
And yet they came out to the stars not just with their lusts and their hatred and their fears, but with their technology and their medicine, their heroes as well as their villains. Most of the races of the galaxy had been painted by the Creator in pastels; Men were primaries.

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:39 am

Federated Kingdom of Prussia wrote:In the Napoleonic Wars and Seven Years' War, how many volleys between regular infantry formations were exchanged before one or both sides charged? From my readings, massed bayonet fights between two large infantry formations almost never happened, although small-scale bayonet fights were relatively common. I've also heard that infantry in the US Civil War suffered higher casualty rates than European observers were used to, because both sides often stood off and kept shooting, without ever resorting to the bayonet.

The answer is as many as it took for the overall battlefield to turn in such a way that one side felt it could win with a bayonet charge. I genuinely don't think that there is a more precise answer to be had unless you want to literally trawl through historical accounts and do statistics.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Archangel Conglomerate » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:50 am

Puzikas wrote:
The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:potential terminal effectiveness

Reeeeee

u r just mad that fishhook kills harder than spinny 545 trash
(\/)(•,,,,•)(\/)
Please, call me Arch

Theodosiya
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Theodosiya » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:51 am

Puz, did you have any experience using Shmels, RPG-30 or RPG-29?
It is the natural order

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:02 am

Yes to all
No wait not the Rpg-30
The other one
The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:u r just mad that fishhook kills harder than spinny 545 trash

But they don't :|

Gallan Systems wrote:It's the difference between 3/10 and 6/10 hits on a target range.

It was actually 3.6/30 (rounded to 4) to 7/30
The best result they got was 8.1/45, rounded to 8/45.

Probably, at least.
I think we discussed this at great length once and agreed the ACR program was never intended to actually succeed but actually came kinda close.
Last edited by Puzikas on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goodbye.

Theodosiya
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Theodosiya » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:08 am

Closest west equivalent to Shmel? Also, what level is RPG-29? Platoon? SInce people here thought that's too heavy for squad.
It is the natural order

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information