NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 10: Shovel Edition [NO FWORDS]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aethal
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethal » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:20 am

Purpelia wrote:Stripper clip guides built into the magazine? Y/N?

that just sounds like a solution looking for an unnecessary problem.
Nedis sicut diabolus equitat.
Ulfr-Reich expy|Blacksmith/Metallurgist btw(Mostly Blades)|Germanic Polytheist of the Continental Variety
Transphobia is Perfectly Natural
I don't like the "gays" all that much anymore, too much political bundling for my taste
You are all terrible

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:16 am

Kazarogkai wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:Hey look at this guy giving compliments in IDT. What a loser.

You're just mad because your a bitch who takes it in the ass. Get bent. :p

What's wrong with that?
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:16 am

Aethal wrote:

that just sounds like a solution looking for an unnecessary problem.

But it's so gloriously interbellum.

IIRC was also done IRL. I think the justification was to allow the topping up of your expensive mags during Luls without having to stick each one in the gun.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Sediczja
Minister

Founded: Oct 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sediczja » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:24 am

Crookfur wrote:IIRC was also done IRL.
I think the mEMe-2 did it, but I forget where I saw it. I want to say Forgotten Weapons, but the site seems to be down so I can't quite check.

E: EM-1, apparently. Dunno about the -2.
Last edited by Sediczja on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
A holy place can never exist without enemies.
I'm not even an anarchist but whatever
DeviantArt
Anarcho-Saxony wrote:The USA was in NATO when the American Civil War happened

Carcelea wrote:WHEN IT WILL STOPS?????

Saiwania wrote:Instead of adjusting my world view to fit more closely with facts, I prefer to try to force the facts into my world view. I've come to my conclusion: that race mixing is bad, therefore I have to do my best to minimize what contradicts that and maximize what supports it. I desperately want the Bible's scriptures to say that God forbids interracial marriage.

Theodosiya
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Theodosiya » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:32 am

Weapons, check. Armor, check. Transports, check. Comms...
Any good communication and/or BMS system that could feature WP and NATO gear?
The strong rules over the weak
And the weak are ruled by the strong
It is the natural order

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:32 am

Laritaia wrote:

why? it just needlessly makes teh magazine more complicated and more expensive

Basically what C said. The idea here is that ideally you'd just want to ship pre-loaded disposable magazines to the front lines. If you could do that and just not worry about reloading that would be grand. But you can't for budgetary reasons. So this is a budget friendly alternative that still lets your troops reload quickly in a pinch. Plus it's glorious retro cool in a modern tactical way.

As to why not just stick it into the rifle that would be technically superior, somewhat. But my rifles since the 1980's have been bullpups and those don't eject vertically up so you can't stick a stripper clip in them.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Aethal
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aethal » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:33 am

> Disposable

> Magazine

Pick one
Ulfr-Reich expy|Blacksmith/Metallurgist btw(Mostly Blades)|Germanic Polytheist of the Continental Variety
I don't like the "gays" all that much anymore, too much political bundling for my taste
You are all terrible

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:35 am

Aethal wrote:> Disposable

> Magazine

Pick one

That's what my budget consultant said as well. :(
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Puzikas » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:45 am

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:.280 is garbage

.276 Pedersen best round.

Puzikas wrote:I love that we've come full circle
Thankfully

You'll never change my mind.

I can change how alive you are tho
.276 a shit
.280 a shit
All meme calibers a shit
5.56, 5.45, 7.62x51 and 7.62x54R a best

Gallia- wrote:
Puzikas wrote:I love that we've come full circle
Thankfully

I NEVER liked .280.

Though I did think EM-2 was kind of cute.

This is why your my favorite fruiting body

The Akasha Colony wrote:
We multiracial now!

Mistakes were made

Are the projectors in "optional for gunner" disposable launchers, or individual packed munitions w/attached CLUs?

Aethal wrote: soonpunk

This is the greatest contribution to this threads in months
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:49 am

TBF for a while I thought 6.8mm SPC was cool. Before that I was pro 7.62x45mm.

I still think SPC is cool.

It's like a fat 5.56mm.

But if I were doing it again I'd have Galla use M16s in 6.5x45mm i.e. .265-223, i.e. 6.5mm Swedish bullets in a necked up 5.56mm case because it means you only need one bullet instead of two bullets get owned.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:08 am

Isn't there that ballistics calculator graph thing that compares bullet drop and accuracy and shit with other real and fictional cartridges? I can't remember it. Anyone want to do that for everyone here's cartridges? We can make fun of or ban the worst performer.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Aethal
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aethal » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:08 am

Puzikas wrote:
This is the greatest contribution to this threads in months

SoonpunkTM is here, it's gearqueer & it's not shaking in fear at the notion of subsequent budget cuts.
You are all terrible

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:11 am

tbh all rounds should be 6.25mm just with different case sizes

This is actually a terrible idea

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012

Postby Puzikas » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:39 am

Gallia- wrote:TBF for a while I thought 6.8mm SPC was cool. Before that I was pro 7.62x45mm.

I still think SPC is cool.

It's like a fat 5.56mm.

But if I were doing it again I'd have Galla use M16s in 6.5x45mm i.e. .265-223, i.e. 6.5mm Swedish bullets in a necked up 5.56mm case because it means you only need one bullet instead of two bullets get owned.

>6.8 Special Needs
Galla whyyyy
6 5 grundle is better :<

Also Sweden definitely did that in tests
It's what my G3s in 197X-198X shot, a 6 gram 6.5x55mm projectile at like 3200ft/s
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:21 am

Aethal wrote:Huh, I never noticed your MG is an LSAT looking weapons platform, though I am surprised you haven't gone for a high-speed low-drag "Ironman" style ammo backpack or belt pouch for your machine gunner to merely fit your soonpunkTM looking unit.

My first choice was LMG11 but muh caseless and all that. A backpack ammo feed seemed rather superfluous and drawing the belt feed would have been a pain.

Puzikas wrote:Mistakes were made

Are the projectors in "optional for gunner" disposable launchers, or individual packed munitions w/attached CLUs?

The first one is disposable (Spike-SR) and the second one is a CLU + missile canister unit. The missile canister should be canted but I'm to lazy to redraw it at an angle because it'll get blurred if I rotate it. All of the vehicles in the platoon carry a CLU + a few canisters.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Aethal
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Aethal » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:50 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Aethal wrote:Huh, I never noticed your MG is an LSAT looking weapons platform, though I am surprised you haven't gone for a high-speed low-drag "Ironman" style ammo backpack or belt pouch for your machine gunner to merely fit your soonpunkTM looking unit.

My first choice was LMG11 but muh caseless and all that. A backpack ammo feed seemed rather superfluous and drawing the belt feed would have been a pain.

Roger brochacho; I understand your reasoning, but you lose some coolduduebro-milrealspergster points for it.
You are all terrible

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:05 pm

Humm...

Sumer jumps onto the GPC bandwagon.
Jumps off later for mounted weapons and crew served.

2.4x18sh round.

Sumerian measurments.
AKA 6.5x48mm Grasslands to plebs.

y/y?

Assault rifle barrel 1 kush (cubit) long.

Suck it 3-line rifle.
Last edited by Dostanuot Loj on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Padnak
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:36 pm

I think I've asked this before in the days of yonder, but is simply issuing soldiers with flack jackets to protect them from shrapnel sufficient? This question is for both Padnak and a significantly more developed puppet; given that shrapnel is responsible for the bulk of battlefield deaths and flack jackets are considerable cheaper than bullet proof vests to produce, generally speaking anyways, would they worth issuing or is it better to, if troops are going to be incombered with protective equipment anyways, to make the jump up to proper bullet proof stuff?

Obviously keeping soldiers alive is a good thing, but for a military that has to outfit a very large number of troops or which lacks allot of money are flack jackets worth pursuing?
"มีใบมีดคมและจิตใจที่คมชัด!"
Have a sharp blade, and a sharper mind!
Need weapons for dubious purposes? Buy Padarm today!
San-Silvacian: Aug 11, 2011-Mar 20, 2015
Inquilabstan wrote:It is official now. Padnak is really Cobra Commander.

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Husseinarti wrote:Powered Borscht.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Immoren wrote:Again we've sexual tension that can be cut with a bowie.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:40 pm

A shrapnel protective vest probably costs $1,000 or so. Plates will be another $2-300. Add in profit margins for another $100-200, maybe. So a total cost difference of maybe $1,100-$1,200 vs. $1,400-$1,500. The difference in cost is very slight. Certainly ~$300 per man is enough to ensure that he isn't killed instantly by being shot in the back or something. It wouldn't take too many prevented deaths to make that profitable. Soldiers cost a few hundred thousand to make. You could equip a battalion of dudes with bullet resistant vests with each corpse. Bullet resistant plates will probably stop more than a couple of deaths.

The only reason you wouldn't use bullet resistant vests is production bottleneck. This was a thing in the dark ages aka the 1990s when the US Army was using PASGT for its mechanized troops (you have a carrier to protect you!) and crash ordered Ranger Body Armor and Interceptor to fill the gap for contingency stockpiles for the XVIII Airborne Corps. The same thing happened with M141 Bunker Defeat Munition/SMAW-D, too, but M141 never got picked up again.

I parody it with Galla which seemingly has a perpetual production bottleneck because it's still using RBAs, Combat Vehicle Crewman Vests, and PASGTs, while it has IOTVs. The real reason is that I like how RBA and PASGT look over IOTV fatness.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:19 pm

How would the M1955 flak jacket fare in 1972? It seems better body armor wouldn't be available for a while but something is better than nothing.
militant radical centrist in the sheets, neoclassical realist in the streets.
Saving this here so I can peruse it at my leisure.
In IC the Federated Kingdom of Prussia, 1950s-2000s timeline. Prussia backs a third-world Balkans puppet state called Sal Kataria.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:24 pm

REPOST

Puzikas wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:So this would imply physically swapping something out for something else or smth like that or simply pushing a button or pulling a level or something like that on the rifle?

I'm talking about actually having to change a major components of the rifle, like the bolt, barrel, lower/upper receiver.

I don't want to be rude but are you not contradicting yourself here?

Only recently as there been strides in allowing the same rifle, with the same magazine, to use cartridges with significantly different COALs without the change of major systems.

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:Well for one it's supposed to eliminate rimlock

I know what it is
You know semiautomaticlly rifles have existed and have been reliable with rimmed cartridges, right? It's not like Saiga or Vepr magazines are unreliable, nor SVT or SVD rifles and magazines. There's been ways to remove rimlock for a long time. The biggest issue with rimmed cartridges in magazines is the taper imparted as a result of the rim.

Yes I know about those and e.g. 7.52 rimmed and whatnot but you said that it's like a normal magazine and I pointed out why it's not. Also I do not understand the taper bit.

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:and then it's supposed to somehow reliably feed differing OAL cartridges by physically feeding the cartridges in the same position I think

Two very different things to do this with a shotgun and a rifle.

Like?

It's not different from anything else really.

Why is there a patent for it then? Obviously with a single stack you can simply both remove rimlock and make it feed from the same position with rim channels/groves like the top down illustration shows (and which I noted) but I had the impression the innovative bit was about making it a double stack/double stack that tapers to single. Also I wasn't sure if the "being able to correctly feed differing COALs" was about feeding from the same position or if it was something else.

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:Why would it not headspace?

Difference in shape. This is why modern rifles in modern bottle necked cartridges don't like different length cartridges.

Again, I don't quite follow. Don't mistake me for being combative though, I really just want to learn. If you have a barrel that has a chamber which is designed to fit a certain cartridge, if it is bottlenecked it will probably be made to headspace on the shoulder, if it's straightwalled it will probably be made to headspace on the case mouth or possibly the rim or both for a rimmed straightwall cartridge. In any case the headspacing only has to do with the case itself (whether on the shoulder or on the case mouth) so with the same case you should theoretically have identical headspacing even with different length bullets because the bullet length does not impact on the size or shape of the chamber, right? You could theoretically for the sake of the argument have a bullet that runs the entire length of the barrel or is even longer and it would still headspace the same if the case remains the same shape and size, no? In my mind the chamber stops where the case stops and after that you enter the "barrel proper", or am I wrong?
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:How would the M1955 flak jacket fare in 1972? It seems better body armor wouldn't be available for a while but something is better than nothing.

Well, it was still widely issued in 1972, so that should say. As good as can be expected in 1972 would probably be best way to describe it.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:How would the M1955 flak jacket fare in 1972? It seems better body armor wouldn't be available for a while but something is better than nothing.

About as good as it did in 1955.

It was worse than its Vietnam replacement though. Cost more and probably weaker stitching. M1969 is the epitome of ballistic nylon.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information