NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 10: Shovel Edition [NO FWORDS]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:54 am

Gallia- wrote:(Image)

Approximate Gallan 1950s infantrymen.

Missing the 6.5mm Brens.

And they're a bit too colonial.

But what is the whole squad like
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:30 am

What gunz

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:41 am

AR-10s, Crookfur's goofy idea of an Auto Ordnance T2 with an Uzi-type pistol grip magwell (in 9mm), and Brens. Weapons section has Grg m/48.

1940s is Ag m/42s, Cute!T2s, and Brens. Recoilless is 57mm M18 instead of Carl Gustav. 1940s guys also wear anime-esque blue uniforms with red and white trim.

Alt. idea is FN49s in 6.5mm for 1940s.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/653 ... rreich.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/653 ... orical.png
Last edited by Gallia- on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:44 am

Gallia- wrote:Crookfur's goofy idea of an Auto Ordnance T2 with an Uzi-type pistol grip magwell (in 9mm)

wat, pls draw

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:49 am

I do not agree with your weapon choice. Crook has failed you

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:51 am

oo bby

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:39 am

Fordorsia wrote:Speaking of SMGs Ford Mechanized Infantry don't even bother with them. Just rifles, plumbing carbines, support rifles, shotguns and GPMGs. The ultimate goodness.

Anyone else have their 40s-50s mechanized squads?

In 1940 though the Kaza do have access to some motorized units concentrated in various "cavalry" divisions for the Kaza the vast vast majority of their troops would still be primarily foot bound light infantry relying on supply trains composed primarily of ox pulled wagons. Kinda like the japanese, or the germans outside the panzer divisions for that matter. This won't really change until the early 50s when motorization would take place. Its' gonna take until the 60s at the minimum before the Kaza would come close to mechanization. Ahh them third world backwater problems. To think they used to be kings.

Terminology for me to you, when I say things and hear them this is what I mean and say:
- Light = Infantry that are transported via manpower primarily referring to foot units but can also include bicycle units . I would also possibly count paratroopers in this definition since they are transported to the battlefield via plains but historically fought on foot mostly.
- Mounted = Infantry that are transported via horse or other animal borne transport(Battle Ostriches?)
- Motorized = Infantry that are transported by trucks or other "light skinned motor vehicles.
- Mechanized = Infantry that are transported by APCs or IFVs.

Nevertheless this is the overall organization of my Motorized Platoon of 1940, not exactly what you wanted but whatever:

Just a question for you guys. Within said aforementioned light infantry units I currently give bicycles to my embedded reconnaissance forces though in higher levels armoured cars are made use of for this purpose. I was just wondering your thoughts on doing the same for the signalers within my units. Specifically I was thinking of giving my runners some type of foldable bicycle of sorts which would be used for this purpose to make their lives just a bit easier. If they need to be more obscure they can simply fold it up and place it on their backs. This was to combined with the granting of supply bikes to the regular infantry. Similar to the ones used by the vietcong I meant these not for riding but for transport of supplies carried by the soldiers on the march. Just some ideas I thought of.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

United states of brazilian nations
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby United states of brazilian nations » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:44 am

Gallia- wrote:AR-10s, Crookfur's goofy idea of an Auto Ordnance T2 with an Uzi-type pistol grip magwell (in 9mm), and Brens. Weapons section has Grg m/48.

1940s is Ag m/42s, Cute!T2s, and Brens. Recoilless is 57mm M18 instead of Carl Gustav. 1940s guys also wear anime-esque blue uniforms with red and white trim.

These uniforms, inspired by Valkyria Chronicles, maybe? Pretty cool. I used a very similar tone of blue, albet a bit more grey-ish i think for Serra Clara's regular infantry in 1890. I think i'll keep the same uniforms through WWI. (never mind the completely screwed up proportions, i'm a master at getting all the proportions wrong)

Also, that SMG looks... Pretty unique. I have experimented with 1940's grip-magwell SMGs as well but they just don't look right to me. Little Brazil's motorized infantry gets Modelo 1940 semi-automatic rifles and the conservative Modelo 1939 submachineguns instead, with some units recieving a few Modelo 1944 automatic rifles later.
Puzikas wrote:
Graznovia wrote:Why does the dude look like Putin?
Did you knot know? There is no Russian people, only clones of Putin. We don't get names, just Numbers.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Kouralia wrote:AKA FiSH and CHiPS(Fighting in Someone's House and Causing Havoc in Public Spaces):p

Fordorsia wrote:Breaking news: The estimated leading cause of death is dying.
Imperializt Russia wrote:Well what it is, is an 18.5mm piece of hollow metal that, through witchcraft and evil, becomes significantly larger than 18.5mm.
Puzikas wrote:fuck you for drawing a good looking bulpup AK.
Puzikas wrote:USBN has a sensor that triggers after anything vaguely Brazilian is mentioned.
For HUE!

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:14 am

United states of brazilian nations wrote:
Gallia- wrote:AR-10s, Crookfur's goofy idea of an Auto Ordnance T2 with an Uzi-type pistol grip magwell (in 9mm), and Brens. Weapons section has Grg m/48.

These uniforms, inspired by Valkyria Chronicles, maybe? Pretty cool.

Yes Galla is even named for it.

Bravest.

Mozria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:36 am

For a well-funded modern-day conventional military that has has recent COIN experience while still having conventional parity threats, would it be a good idea to use an MRAP-style transport truck with a heavy (autocannon/AGL) RWS for carting around motorized infantry? Think Kamaz-63968. Alternative would be to use relatively heavily armored (near IFV-level) wheeled transports or, perhaps, lighter but amphibious wheeled transports.

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:48 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRAP#Post ... plications

However, by August 2013, the 2ID had decided not to utilize the over 80 MRAPs on the peninsula. They determined the vehicles were “not suitable for maneuver battalions to use” and that there are no plans to add MRAPs to their fleet in the foreseeable future.

MRAP type vehicles are not suitable for use anywhere except on roads and hard, dry soil. As infantry transports outside the COIN context they don't have much utility because more often than not they will not be able to deliver the infantry to the objective.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:51 am

I see. Given that, I find it curious that Russia is trying to adopt vehicles of such type for regular usage. Perhaps they are planning on having to do a lot more COIN in near future.

So, should I go with lighter, amphibious wheeled transports and tracked IFVs?

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:53 am

Mozria wrote:For a well-funded modern-day conventional military that has has recent COIN experience while still having conventional parity threats, would it be a good idea to use an MRAP-style transport truck with a heavy (autocannon/AGL) RWS for carting around motorized infantry? Think Kamaz-63968. Alternative would be to use relatively heavily armored (near IFV-level) wheeled transports or, perhaps, lighter but amphibious wheeled transports.

Is there a particular reason they must be wheeled?

In any event, something like a generic Piranha clone 8x8 like Stryker or Patria AMV or Terrex or Boxer would be better.

But by the time you start getting to "IFV-level" armaments and armor, it might be time to just buy some IFVs. The economies offered by wheeled vehicles start disappearing at these performance levels.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:57 am

I was just wanting the road-friendliness of wheeled vehicles matched with the protection of heavier armor. As stated, the vehicles would be designed with very recent (and possibly future) COIN experience in mind, and be intended to resist heavy machine guns and light man-portable antiarmor weapons.

Perhaps the latter concern could be solved with much less weight through the use of an APS? It seems expensive to have one on every APC, though.

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:59 am

You are looking for an 8x8 wheeled APC.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Perhaps, but the idea of what is essentially a much more heavily armored transport truck with an RWS is just terribly cool to me.

Especially considering that 14.5x114mm-resistant transparent glass is viable...
Last edited by Mozria on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:02 pm

Mozria wrote:I was just wanting the road-friendliness of wheeled vehicles matched with the protection of heavier armor. As stated, the vehicles would be designed with very recent (and possibly future) COIN experience in mind, and be intended to resist heavy machine guns and light man-portable antiarmor weapons.

Perhaps the latter concern could be solved with much less weight through the use of an APS? It seems expensive to have one on every APC, though.

Stryker.
BTR-3.
Boxer.

Mozria wrote:Perhaps, but the idea of what is essentially a much more heavily armored transport truck with an RWS is just terribly cool to me.

Terribly is the accurate adverb.

Terribly stupid.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:07 pm

Mozria wrote:I was just wanting the road-friendliness of wheeled vehicles matched with the protection of heavier armor. As stated, the vehicles would be designed with very recent (and possibly future) COIN experience in mind, and be intended to resist heavy machine guns and light man-portable antiarmor weapons.

And what experience is that in particular?

Wheeled armored vehicles like MRAPs became a thing because the Western coalition that ended up in Iraq and Afghanistan decided that "conventional parity threats" were not a serious issue (peace dividend and all that) and thus they could devote their time and resources to developing what they felt to be "optimum" solutions to the COIN issue. And the result was the MRAP, which ended up being a bit too specialized, and the medium armor craze epitomized by the proliferation of 8x8 wheeled death trucks, which is a bit more multi-purpose.

So my point is that if "conventional parity threats" are still an issue, there is a strong incentive to avoid relying too heavily on light wheeled carriers that would get rekt in a conventional high-intensity conflict. Especially ones with nearly nonexistent off-road performance like the MRAPs. Heavy tracked vehicles can do COIN just fine, they're just more expensive than the cash-strapped Western militaries in the Middle East would like to pay for, so they went for more economical wheeled carriers because they thought the conventional threat was mostly a thing of the past.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:08 pm

Hey Galla, no need to be rude. I understand why APCs have become what they are. What I am not so sure of, though, is exactly why the use of a 6x6 or 8x8 autocannon-resistant truck-based vehicle would be explicitly bad. I would suppose it to be something to do with large volume and the resulting difficulty of armoring that volume without becoming needlessly heavy.
Last edited by Mozria on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:15 pm

Mozria wrote:Hey Galla, no need to be rude. I understand why APCs have become what they are. What I am not so sure of, though, is exactly why the use of a 6x6 or 8x8 autocannon-resistant truck-based vehicle would be explicitly bad. I would suppose it to be something to do with large volume and the resulting difficulty of armoring that volume without becoming needlessly heavy.

Generally, yes. This is basically it.

At the weight level needed to provide all-around protection from 14.5 mm and frontal protection from 30 mm (the basic protection standards of a reasonably modern IFV), a tracked vehicle will be smaller and likely weigh less than a wheeled vehicle, while having much superior off road mobility. It will likely have roughly the same up front cost, as well. It will also be much shorter and thus less visible than a wheeled vehicle.

The downsides are a lower road speed and higher operating costs because tracks wear faster and tracked vehicles require larger, more powerful engines, which consume more fuel.

The Russian Typhoon series are a little unusual in that they're in a bit of a twilight area between "full" wheeled AFVs like Boxer and "classic" MRAPs like Buffalo. But they seem to be designed mostly for convoy use, either convoy escort for the armed models or actual transport for the truck-frame models. They're not for battlefield transportation.
New Terran Republic (FT)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information