NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nation's Warships, Batch 3

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kanugues Wed
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Kanugues Wed » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:08 am

I once read this quip somwhere about some analyst who thinks that cause of CIWS and other active protection, ships are going to return to big guns, WW1 style. But with railguns! Also that composite armour advances are gonna make armouring ships sensible again. How full of shit are they? Are they so full of shit it will collapse into a black hole, or only just create a star?
Sure, we might look communist, but we are legitimately a democratic country.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:13 am

Kanugues Wed wrote:I once read this quip somwhere about some analyst who thinks that cause of CIWS and other active protection, ships are going to return to big guns, WW1 style. But with railguns! Also that composite armour advances are gonna make armouring ships sensible again. How full of shit are they? Are they so full of shit it will collapse into a black hole, or only just create a star?

The first.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:56 am

Black Hole.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Manokan Republic
Minister

Founded: Dec 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Manokan Republic » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:55 am

Kanugues Wed wrote:I once read this quip somwhere about some analyst who thinks that cause of CIWS and other active protection, ships are going to return to big guns, WW1 style. But with railguns! Also that composite armour advances are gonna make armouring ships sensible again. How full of shit are they? Are they so full of shit it will collapse into a black hole, or only just create a star?

There likely will be railguns used in conjunction with other weapons, rather than a complete replacement. Given that the U.S. navy is developing railguns, I'm pretty sure it's an idea they have. And the Chinese are already using them.
Last edited by Manokan Republic on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013

Postby Gallia- » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Another dope article by P.W. "Bring back the FRAM Cans" Singer. P.W. "Phantom Phan" Singer. P.W. "Defense Autarky Means No Rare Earths" Singer. P.W. "M48A5 > M1 Abrams" Singer? P.W. "Silicon Valley Is Pro-America" Singer.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Manokan Republic
Minister

Founded: Dec 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Manokan Republic » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:54 pm

Gallia- wrote:Another dope article by P.W. "Bring back the FRAM Cans" Singer. P.W. "Phantom Phan" Singer. P.W. "Defense Autarky Means No Rare Earths" Singer. P.W. "M48A5 > M1 Abrams" Singer? P.W. "Silicon Valley Is Pro-America" Singer.

It doesn't matter who it's written by, what matters is that both the Chinese and Americans are developing these weapons, and the chinese are already using them. Out of the three most powerful countries on the planet, two already are developing railguns and one is already using them.

Russia is not far behind. It really doesn't matter who writes the article, what matters are fact. I can find another article if you really are that shallow that facts don't matter as much who writes an article.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:59 pm

Manokan Republic wrote:
Gallia- wrote:Another dope article by P.W. "Bring back the FRAM Cans" Singer. P.W. "Phantom Phan" Singer. P.W. "Defense Autarky Means No Rare Earths" Singer. P.W. "M48A5 > M1 Abrams" Singer? P.W. "Silicon Valley Is Pro-America" Singer.

It doesn't matter who it's written by,

Past authorship matters more than what is actually being reported. The truth is that no one knows what that thing is (Mr. Singer, amusingly, suggests that a large caliber naval mortar would be "unnecessary" for an amphibious ship) and the article is merely Mr. Singer's personal speculation and wild imagination. The Chinese are about where the USA was in ~2014: putting a railgun to sea to shoot out a couple rounds/barrels. So they will probably have operational railguns in the '30s to replace small AAA guns and CIWS, since that is the most obvious utility of railguns. So really, they're a few years behind (about 3-4) and advancing, whereas the USA stalled out years ago and has been running on fumes since the '90s.

The PRC will have railguns before the USN, probably, and they probably will have them in the 2030s. That isn't much faster than what the USA could do, but the Chinese are starting from a lower position, although they move faster than Americans due to their naturally higher average IQ (~108 vs. ~104 for European Americans) and respectable GDP growth rate. The US IQ, OTOH, is stagnating/declining (European IQs have been falling since the '90s tho) while its GDP growth rate has more or less become equivalent to Brezhnev's USSR with little sign of recovery to a more respectable 3-4%/year growth rate.

This is a bit like pointing at MiG 1.44 and screaming about Russian superjets or something c. 1998. 20 years later the Russians are still flying Su-27 and barely getting superjets.

20 years from now the Chinese will still be using manually aimed AAA guns on their LSTs and barely getting railguns.

But that's making the wildly speculative assumption that the Chinese are actually investing in railguns in the first place, have been investing in them to the extent that the USN has, and not actually focusing on merely playing catch up with the U.S. Navy instead. It is not just a flight of fancy but an actual lie, since the PLAN has been mostly investing in its surface fleet and development of naval combat radars, which have just now borne fruit in the form of the Type 052D and Type 055 destroyers, which are equivalent to modern U.S. Navy Arleigh Burke DDGs and Ticonderoga CGs respectively. There's probably not very many extra funds between all of those modernization programs that require catch up, so I doubt the PLAN actually cares enough about railguns to want to field them in seriousness.

They are probably putting more effort into really dangerous weapons like HGVs.

Manokan Republic wrote:the chinese are already using them.

The country that is barely putting an Aegis-equivalent warship to sea, 30 years after the fact, has railguns. Yes. Makes perfect sense that the Chinese would be randomly ~20-30 years ahead of the United States.

Manokan Republic wrote:Russia is not far behind.

Look out, here comes Iran: https://www.themarysue.com/iranian-railgun/

Manokan Republic wrote:facts don't matter

I'm glad you can admit that you hold this belief. At least that's one obstacle put behind us.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:08 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Manokan Republic wrote:Russia is not far behind.

But what about Iran's STELF FIGHTERS?

Clearly every propaganda piece and flight of fancy must be indulged!
Last edited by The Akasha Colony on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:03 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Gallia- wrote:

Can that thing even fly?
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:16 pm

Post War America wrote:Can that thing even fly?

Scale models of it supposedly have.

The Iranians are still playing around with a prototype on runway tests as of 2017.

They can probably make it fly. Putting an engine in it isn't hard. Getting it to do all of the usual STELF FIGHTA things though is the troublesome part. IIRC, the original model shown in 2013 (which is what the picture is of) had only basic civilian radar and navigation equipment normally used in private aircraft, hardly a military-grade combat avionics suite.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:42 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Post War America wrote:Can that thing even fly?

The Iranians are still playing around with a prototype on runway tests as of 2017.

They can probably make it fly. Putting an engine in it isn't hard. Getting it to do all of the usual STELF FIGHTA things though is the troublesome part. IIRC, the original model shown in 2013 (which is what the picture is of) had only basic civilian radar and navigation equipment normally used in private aircraft, hardly a military-grade combat avionics suite.

I'm no expert but those wings just don't look like they'd be generating enough lift for that thing to get airborne.
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Pharthan
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Post War America wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

(Image)

Can that thing even fly?

Anything that looks like it is fitting in the Ace Combat series or a Japanese Anime obviously can fly.
Last edited by Pharthan on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

"Humanity is a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"Besides, if God didn't want us making glowing fish and insect-resistant corn, the building blocks of life wouldn't be so easy for science to fiddle with." - Dracoria

Why haven't I had anything new in my storefront for so long? This is why. I've been busy.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:23 pm

Post War America wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

I'm no expert but those wings just don't look like they'd be generating enough lift for that thing to get airborne.

"Lift". You don't need lift when you have thrust. Observe: http://www.designation-systems.net/dusr ... nball.html

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:56 pm

Pharthan wrote:
Post War America wrote:
Can that thing even fly?

Anything that looks like it is fitting in the Ace Combat series or a Japanese Anime obviously can fly.

As much as I love Ace Combat, I know full well their designs make as much sense from an aeronautical standpoint, as strapping paper wings to a brick and throwing it out a window.
For those who care
Not Post-Apocalyptic

New Korongo
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Korongo » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:41 am

Padeb and Ibra-Aned were ironclad battleships built in France for the Royal Naval Service. They were developments of the Marceau class. As construction was not inhibited by the politics of Jeune École, both ships were completed ahead of their French counterparts in the late 1880s. The image above shows Padeb in 1887 prior to the adoption of the standard all-white scheme. Padeb and Ibra-Aned remained in active service until 1912 despite their rapid obsolescence. They would have been withdrawn sooner if it was not for the ‘seventy-five plan’ which, among other things, aimed to double the size of the Korongolese battleship fleet. Padeb was decommissioned in 1912 while Ibra-Aned was relegated to a training role. This only lasted until 1914 when she was sunk at port by a bomb during the First Korongolese Civil War. The extent of the damage, combined with the obsolete nature of the ship, discouraged repair.
Last edited by New Korongo on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Korongo
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Korongo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:22 pm

Padeb after her 1895 refit. Ibra-Aned received similar modifications in 1896. Anti-torpedo nets were added and the open 340 mm (13.4 in) Mle 1881 guns were enclosed in unarmoured gunhouses. A number of other minor changes were also made, including the addition of four 65 mm (2.6 in) Mle 1884 guns in place of existing 47 mm (1.9 in) Hotchkiss guns.
Last edited by New Korongo on Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kanugues Wed
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kanugues Wed » Wed May 02, 2018 4:17 am

why are mid 1800s ships so fugly

Vreokkorynn
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Vreokkorynn » Thu May 03, 2018 6:06 pm

How worst is my own aircraft carrier design?

Due limited equipments and death of my hdd, I'm using Vectr to build the very simple design. After i fix my PC, I will update this one
Last edited by Vreokkorynn on Thu May 03, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Thu May 03, 2018 6:12 pm

Angle of the stack seems a little extreme. Assuming you're going for Pre-Early WWII carrier it seems okay armament wise although I'd personally add more AA along the sides.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Thu May 03, 2018 6:17 pm

Vreokkorynn wrote:How worst is my own aircraft carrier design?

Due limited equipments and death of my hdd, I'm using Vectr to build the very simple design. After i fix my PC, I will update this one

Remove those cannons.
For those who care
Not Post-Apocalyptic

Vreokkorynn
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Vreokkorynn » Thu May 03, 2018 6:21 pm

Post War America wrote:
Vreokkorynn wrote:How worst is my own aircraft carrier design?

Remove those cannons.

Are you sure? Those are dual purpose cannons similar to 5in/38 guns

The Corparation wrote:Angle of the stack seems a little extreme. Assuming you're going for Pre-Early WWII carrier it seems okay armament wise although I'd personally add more AA along the sides.

yeah you right... the stack looks weird, maybe gonna fix that up and more AA guns
Last edited by Vreokkorynn on Thu May 03, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Thu May 03, 2018 6:22 pm

Vreokkorynn wrote:
Post War America wrote:
Remove those cannons.

What era is that carrier?
For those who care
Not Post-Apocalyptic

Vreokkorynn
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Vreokkorynn » Thu May 03, 2018 6:24 pm

Post War America wrote:
Vreokkorynn wrote:

around 1935-36 I think..

Post War America
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Thu May 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Vreokkorynn wrote:
Post War America wrote:

around 1935-36 I think..

I retract my statement.... assuming you're serious about making them 5" DP guns.
For those who care
Not Post-Apocalyptic

Kanugues Wed
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Kanugues Wed » Thu May 03, 2018 7:02 pm

I made this for non-nationstates stuff, but how does this design for a mid/late 40's battleship design sound?

The Steel class battleships are the mainstays of the Andean fleet. There are currently three ARS Steel battleships in service (ARS Steel, ARS Bronze, ARS Copper), with a fourth ship laid down, but not completed (ARS Iron). There is also the one-off ARS Diaz, which is basically an ARS Steel class with the rear two turrets replaced with a landing ship dock and barracks for marines. ARS Steel and ARS Copper serve in the Andean Atlantic fleet, with ARS Steel as the flagship. ARS Bronze serves as the flagship of the Andean Pacific fleet, and will be joined by ARS Iron once it is completed.

The Ships were designed with strong armament of all types, especially anti-air. The Steel class were among the first to successfully integrate radar into the aiming of the anti-aircraft armament, continuing the Andean tradition of equipping their equipment with some of the best electronics in the world; the anti-ship armament is also radar-directed to their targets. The Steel class sacrifice armour for heavy armament and high speed, and are designed to outrange enemy ships and use their speed and radar-gifted accuracy to pound enemy battleships from long distances beyond those from which they can effectively retailiate.

Only the first of the ARS Steel class was completed at the end of Idran involvement in the Great American War, and it's introduction was a significant reason that the Idran Empire withdrew from the conflict, as they hoped to escape the fighting without having a major amount of their warships sunk, and the Steel class drove them to accept terms more favorable to the Andes. As the main naval power in the conflict made peace within a month of the launching of the ARS Steel, the ships did not have much of a chance to enter major naval battles, with it's largest victory being sinking the UJI Maranhão light cruiser. However, during the continued war with the ERTA, the ARS Steel and ARS Bronze have both fired thousands of shells for ground support.

Specifications:

Displacement:

-55,000 long tons

Length:

-271.27m oa

-261.82m pp

Beam:

-33.53m

Draft:

-10.97m

Propulsion:

-4x screws

-8x XU-8 Boilers

-4x XA-16 Geared steam turbines

-190,000 shaft horsepower

Complement:

~2,600 sailors

-200 marines

Speed:

-34 knots flanking

Range:

-15,000 nautical miles range at 18 knots

Armament:

-Primary anti-ship Armament: 4x3x419.1mm U1300 Mod. 5 Naval Cannons

-Secondary anti-ship Armament: 11x 152.4mm U2000 Mod. 0 Naval Cannons

-Tertiary multi-role Armament: 8x 107.95mm U1800 Mod. 8 Naval Cannons

-Anti-Submarine Armament: 12x Q1900 "Prickly Pear" aimed Mortar arrays, 10x 4x Q2300 anti-submarine rocket launchers

-AAA Armament: 40x radar directed 44.45mm K90/R autocannons, 65x 22.86mm K100/C autocannons

Armour:

-Belt: 330.2mm

-Bulkheads: 355.6mm

-Barbettes: 482.6mm

-Turret Front: 457.2mm

-Turret Side: 228.6mm

-Conning Tower: 393.7mm

-Decks 157.48mm

The antisubmarine rockets I mentioned are not guided, literally just a depth charge on the end of a tube full of fuel.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information