NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nation's Warships, Batch 3

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Velkanika
Minister

Founded: Sep 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Velkanika » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:18 am

Theodosiya wrote:
Velkanika wrote:A better ESM/ECM suite and some kind of CIWS would be a good start.

It's worth maintaining multiple classes of any type of ship with the same role if the warships in question haven't become difficult to maintain or technologically obsolete.

The Chang Bogo class would came next year, and the Navy also plans to add the 636.3 Varshavyanka in the future. Maybe like India?

Also, the CBG is for replacing the Cakra class/Type 209-1300.

More Kilo-class submarines would preserve diversity in their foreign suppliers, which Indonesia obstinately tries to maintain. The issue is that personnel transferred between the two classes will have to be retrained for the Eastern or Western systems in use as the case may be, and that can get a bit pricey for a third-world country.
The necessity of a navy, in the restricted sense of the word, springs, therefore, from the existence of a peaceful shipping, and disappears with it, except in the case of a nation which has aggressive tendencies, and keeps up a navy merely as a branch of the military establishment. 1
1Alfred T. Mahan, The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783, 12th ed. (Boston: Little Brown and Company, 1890), 26.

Please avoid conflating my in-character role playing with what I actually believe, as these are usually quite different things.

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:37 am

Gallia- wrote:
Velkanika wrote:You know, that kind of ability to spot dispersed TELs does have a direct application in a major war.

How can you spot dispersed TELs if your satellites have been shot down?

It, like God Rods, Conventional Trident, Prompt Global Strike, etc. etc. are all weapons envisioned to be used as batons to reign in unruly rogue states that defy the United Nations/US rule of law.

secretly rent access from a 'neutral' state
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Factbook [url=iiwiki.com/wiki/Corporate_Confederacy]Wiki Article[/url]
Neptonia

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:47 am

I am completely retooling and overhauling my nations military due to a factbook history rewrite and I'm exploring energy sources just for my terrestrial based navy and not my space based one. I have some ideas for power generation but I would like notes and tips on which may be the best.
I don't want to put in anti-matter or dark matter not really wanting to emulate Futurama or Star Trek right now

List so far:
Arc Reactor- from Iron Man movies
Iridium power cell- from Terminator
Solar power & Hydrogen fuel cell combination
Cold fusion
Energon- from Transformers

Other sources besides anti-matter or dark matter are welcome. To be more precise I want some like nuclear power with its longevity and little waste but without the radioactive waste.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

EsToVnIa
Senator

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:49 am

kugelblitz
Most Heavenly State/Khamgiin Tengerleg Uls

Weeaboo Gassing Land wrote:Also, rev up the gas chambers.

The United States of North Amerigo wrote:CUNT

12:02:02 AM <Tarsas> premislyd is my spirit animal tbh

Velkanika
Minister

Founded: Sep 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Velkanika » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:53 pm

Gig em Aggies wrote:I am completely retooling and overhauling my nations military due to a factbook history rewrite and I'm exploring energy sources just for my terrestrial based navy and not my space based one. I have some ideas for power generation but I would like notes and tips on which may be the best.
I don't want to put in anti-matter or dark matter not really wanting to emulate Futurama or Star Trek right now

List so far:
Cold fusion

Other sources besides anti-matter or dark matter are welcome. To be more precise I want some like nuclear power with its longevity and little waste but without the radioactive waste.

I suggest checking out the FT community on NS, they'll be able to give you some ideas. You're delving into Science Fantasy with that list, so this thread isn't going to be of much help. Basically, if you're going to RP in FT the Rule of Cool dictates everything. Go nuts.

If you want to be strictly realistic in power generation, anti-matter is the only high-energy source in that list. Solar works for providing baseline power if it's in space and constantly exposed to sunlight, but it is far less power-dense compared to matter annihilation. Everything else in your list is just fantasy, which ties into what I already said about the Rule of Cool.

I personally suggest using fission or antimatter reactors for your terrestrial naval ships. Fusion will probably be too bulky to fit into the same space. That said, if you're going Science Fantasy you can power them with any kind of fictional material that ends with -ium and has semi-mythical properties without anyone batting an eye.
Last edited by Velkanika on Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The necessity of a navy, in the restricted sense of the word, springs, therefore, from the existence of a peaceful shipping, and disappears with it, except in the case of a nation which has aggressive tendencies, and keeps up a navy merely as a branch of the military establishment. 1
1Alfred T. Mahan, The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783, 12th ed. (Boston: Little Brown and Company, 1890), 26.

Please avoid conflating my in-character role playing with what I actually believe, as these are usually quite different things.

Pharthan
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:30 pm

Gig em Aggies wrote:I am completely retooling and overhauling my nations military due to a factbook history rewrite and I'm exploring energy sources just for my terrestrial based navy and not my space based one. I have some ideas for power generation but I would like notes and tips on which may be the best.

List so far:
Cold fusion

If you want modern, stick with fission reactors.
Nuclear waste is not as big an issue as coal companies are paying Greenpeace to say it is.
Well into PMT you could use Fusion.

Beyond that, it depends if you want Fantasy or not.
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

"Humanity is a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"Besides, if God didn't want us making glowing fish and insect-resistant corn, the building blocks of life wouldn't be so easy for science to fiddle with." - Dracoria

Why haven't I had anything new in my storefront for so long? This is why. I've been busy.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:15 pm

Inflaton power :B
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Theodosiya
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Theodosiya » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:02 pm

Operating 3 class of Diesel-Electric yes or no? There's plan for Navy to also buy Swedish Gotland, beside CBG and probably Kilo.
The strong rules over the weak
And the weak are ruled by the strong
It is the natural order

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:24 pm

Theodosiya wrote:Operating 3 class of Diesel-Electric yes or no? There's plan for Navy to also buy Swedish Gotland, beside CBG and probably Kilo.

There's no real reason to intentionally do so.

Nations that operate multiple types of submarine do so usually because there's a newer class replacing an old class. Or possibly because they purchased boats from one nation in the past but for certain reasons cannot order any more of that type and thus have to look elsewhere for their requirements.

So there would be no reason for your navy to decide to buy all three at once, but for instance if you had bought Kilos during the Cold War and needed to replace them, you'd have a reason to buy Gotland or Chang Bogo more recently, but no real reason to buy both of those newer classes.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Theodosiya
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Theodosiya » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:38 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Theodosiya wrote:Operating 3 class of Diesel-Electric yes or no? There's plan for Navy to also buy Swedish Gotland, beside CBG and probably Kilo.

There's no real reason to intentionally do so.

Nations that operate multiple types of submarine do so usually because there's a newer class replacing an old class. Or possibly because they purchased boats from one nation in the past but for certain reasons cannot order any more of that type and thus have to look elsewhere for their requirements.

So there would be no reason for your navy to decide to buy all three at once, but for instance if you had bought Kilos during the Cold War and needed to replace them, you'd have a reason to buy Gotland or Chang Bogo more recently, but no real reason to buy both of those newer classes.

I actually asked about Indonesian Navy decision to also buy Gotland. While waiting for the CBGs and Kilos.

ANyway, for now, THeodosiyan Navy did use Kilo, but plan to built a new DE with AIP Submarine. It would take some of the best of USSR and Swedish-German design.
It is the natural order

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:50 pm

Theodosiya wrote:I actually asked about Indonesian Navy decision to also buy Gotland. While waiting for the CBGs and Kilos.

ANyway, for now, THeodosiyan Navy did use Kilo, but plan to built a new DE with AIP Submarine. It would take some of the best of USSR and Swedish-German design.

I can't tell if you're talking about Indonesia or your own fictional navy without any specific qualifiers.

I also can't find any references at all to any Indonesian decisions to purchase any Gotland-class boats, which would be rather odd given that the class has been out of production for nearly two decades and the Swedish Navy has only three boats, which they aren't willing to part with.

So far as I know Indonesia is buying Chang Bogos to use alongside the existing Type 209-based Cakras already in service and considered buying used Russian Kilos, but eventually decided against it. In this case, the decision was likely motivated by the ready availability of the Russian offer and presumably low cost, a quick and cheaper way to boost the size of the submarine fleet without waiting for each boat to be built individually. But the used boats Russia offered were evidently in a poor state of repair (who could have guessed?) and the offer for new-build submarines too expensive and unnecessary.

Which means that Indonesia will be operating submarine fleet based on a single design, the German Type 209.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Theodosiya
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Theodosiya » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Theodosiya wrote:I actually asked about Indonesian Navy decision to also buy Gotland. While waiting for the CBGs and Kilos.

I can't tell if you're talking about Indonesia or your own fictional navy without any specific qualifiers.

I also can't find any references at all to any Indonesian decisions to purchase any Gotland-class boats, which would be rather odd given that the class has been out of production for nearly two decades and the Swedish Navy has only three boats, which they aren't willing to part with.

So far as I know Indonesia is buying Chang Bogos to use alongside the existing Type 209-based Cakras already in service and considered buying used Russian Kilos, but eventually decided against it. In this case, the decision was likely motivated by the ready availability of the Russian offer and presumably low cost, a quick and cheaper way to boost the size of the submarine fleet without waiting for each boat to be built individually. But the used boats Russia offered were evidently in a poor state of repair (who could have guessed?) and the offer for new-build submarines too expensive and unnecessary.

Which means that Indonesia will be operating submarine fleet based on a single design, the German Type 209.

There's been talk to increase defence coop with Sweden, of of them would be the possibility of Gotland class. There's also plan (I've heard from Navy seaman several days ago) to procure 636. This time its new sub.
It is the natural order

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:24 pm

Theodosiya wrote:There's been talk to increase defence coop with Sweden, of of them would be the possibility of Gotland class. There's also plan (I've heard from Navy seaman several days ago) to procure 636. This time its new sub.

This seems rather unlikely. Gotland is nearly thirty years old and the Swedes are already working on its replacement. Given that no new boats of the class have been built for over twenty years, it is rather unlikely Kockums would decide to restart production for the small order Indonesia would conceivably make. And doing so would be very expensive compared to off-the-shelf options available from nations that are actively producing submarines, like South Korea, Japan, France, and Russia. Gotland was a good submarine for its time, but other submarines have caught up or surpassed it in technology. Waiting to get second-hand boats from Sweden would take another half-decade or so, by which time the boats would be over thirty years old.

The Russian boats would likely introduce some compatibility issues. Not insurmountable ones, but not totally irrelevant ones, either. But they're probably very cheap and comparatively readily available, which is about the only thing they really have going for them.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Connori Pilgrims
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Connori Pilgrims » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:29 pm

Theodosiya wrote:There's been talk to increase defence coop with Sweden, of of them would be the possibility of Gotland class. There's also plan (I've heard from Navy seaman several days ago) to procure 636. This time its new sub.

In all probability the TNI Navy won't see the Gotlands until Sweden decides to part with them, which will only happen if/when (lol?) the Kockums A26 design is built, which will be in 2022 maybe. (EDIT: Akasha explained this part already).

Alternatively, given recent Indonesian attempts at getting defense cooperation/riding on the coat-tails of other industrialized countries (the KF-X project for example), its possible they may buy/build A26s. Which works for Sweden just fine, since it hopefully makes A26 cheaper (lol?).

The rumor mill is for up to ten ex-Russian Navy Kilo/636s... but yeah as earlier stated those things will likely be in bad shape (go figure) and will cost more to refurbish.
LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR YOU. HATE.

Overview of the United Provinces of Connorianople (MT)
FT - United Worlds of Connorianople/The Connori Pilgrims
MT-PMT - United Provinces of Connorianople
PT (19th-Mid-20th Century) - Republic of Connorianople/United States of America (1939 World of Tomorrow RP)
FanT - The Imperium Fremen

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:33 am

The Akasha Colony wrote:Nations that operate multiple types of submarine do so usually because there's a newer class replacing an old class. Or possibly because they purchased boats from one nation in the past but for certain reasons cannot order any more of that type and thus have to look elsewhere for their requirements.

There's actually another, quote common among developing nations, reason to buy and operate multiple classes: don't put all your eggs in one basket.

This happens all the time, China and India are well known for it. The idea is that while you are developing, and thus getting more and more money for your military, you are buying from as many sources as possible to essentially test everything. This gives you nationally an ability to "test drive" all your options and determine where you will go when you start developing your own technologies. It's a decades long process that may handicap you against the biggest players on the world scene, but it also means that when you start scraping into the top tier you do so with experience you gained from trying everything. Experienced that countries like the UK, France, US, Russia, and so on all learned fighting each other. You just benefit from that experience.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Aurlia
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurlia » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:39 pm

So I'm toying with the idea of running 2 light STOBAR carriers in my navy. Each one would probably be operating a fighter squadron of 20 Sea Gripens, a couple of Panther helicopters and some sort of AWACs platform.

My question is besides following the British model of running AEW helicopters what else could I run? I'm sorta looking at the MC-12 with a R-99 type radar.

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:36 pm

Aurlia wrote:So I'm toying with the idea of running 2 light STOBAR carriers in my navy. Each one would probably be operating a fighter squadron of 20 Sea Gripens, a couple of Panther helicopters and some sort of AWACs platform.

My question is besides following the British model of running AEW helicopters what else could I run? I'm sorta looking at the MC-12 with a R-99 type radar.

with a small carrier helicopter AWACs is basically your only choice

New Chilokver
Minister

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby New Chilokver » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:02 pm

Would it be possible to mount a radome on top of an Osprey as seen in AWACS concepts? It seems like an attractive alternative to helicopter based systems for smaller STOBAR carriers (think Kuznetsov or Vikrant), but I'm not sure whether it would interfere with the wing folding mechanism, nor how much more hangar space I might need.

The alternative to an E-2 type radar would be something like the Cerberus suite used on British Merlins, which while obviously worse for air defense, has ground tracking capabilities which the E-2 doesn't. Either way it'd still be a significant improvement, what with the Osprey's better speed, endurance and altitude right?

About User
Hong Kong-Australian Male
Pro: Yeah
Neutral: Meh
Con: Nah
| [1] | [2] | [3] | [4] | [5] |
[HOI I - Peacetime conditions]
Head of Government: President Sohum Jain
Population: 195.10 million
GDP (nominal): $6.39 trillion
Military personnel: 523.5k
IIWiki
| There is no news. |
Other Stuff
Lingria wrote:Just realized I'm better at roleplaying then talking to another human being.
Fck.
WARNING: This nation represents my RL views.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:06 pm

New Chilokver wrote:Would it be possible to mount a radome on top of an Osprey as seen in AWACS concepts? It seems like an attractive alternative to helicopter based systems for smaller STOBAR carriers (think Kuznetsov or Vikrant), but I'm not sure whether it would interfere with the wing folding mechanism, nor how much more hangar space I might need.

The alternative to an E-2 type radar would be something like the Cerberus suite used on British Merlins, which while obviously worse for air defense, has ground tracking capabilities which the E-2 doesn't. Either way it'd still be a significant improvement, what with the Osprey's better speed, endurance and altitude right?

IIRC the Osprey has been looked into as a potential early warning aircraft, and I don't think the take away was that it couldn't but more that there was no real need for it. The US already has the E-2 which is simply better for what the US needs and other nations don't really have the same need and capability to deploy early warning aircraft.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:34 pm

isn't 90% of all US military aviation crashes from Ospreys?
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Factbook [url=iiwiki.com/wiki/Corporate_Confederacy]Wiki Article[/url]
Neptonia

New Vihenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 03, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby New Vihenia » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:14 am

New Chilokver wrote:Would it be possible to mount a radome on top of an Osprey as seen in AWACS concepts? It seems like an attractive alternative to helicopter based systems for smaller STOBAR carriers (think Kuznetsov or Vikrant), but I'm not sure whether it would interfere with the wing folding mechanism, nor how much more hangar space I might need.

well if one wish to retain folding feature for Ospreys. The radar had to be fitted conformally around the body. Or ventrally ala JSTARS.

Otherwise, a brand new tiltrotor must be designed.
We make planes,ships,missiles,helicopters, radars and mecha musume
Deviantart|M.A.R.S|My-Ebooks

Big Picture of Service

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:42 am

The issue is that the osprey is not pressurized, this means it can't really fly much higher then a helicopter based AEW craft, making it a minimal improvement at best.

This is what really killed the V-22 based AEW projects, the massive increase in cost isn't worth the minimal increase of capability over a Merlin with the Radome from the Seaking ASaC.7 stapled to the side.
Last edited by Laritaia on Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:47 am

New Vihenia wrote:well if one wish to retain folding feature for Ospreys. The radar had to be fitted conformally around the body. Or ventrally ala JSTARS.

Otherwise, a brand new tiltrotor must be designed.

Couldn't you simply have it rotate with the rest of the wing when folding, and possibly have some kind of height reduction system like the early E-2s had?
New Terran Republic (FT)

Northern Federation of Korea
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Federation of Korea » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:05 am

My navy operates a variety of vessels and ships, with the largest being cruisers. We operate no aircraft carriers, but we are developing one. We also have about 500 naval aircraft. Most of our combat vessels are listed below:

Combatant Vessels
-Cruisers:
15x https://www.simpleplanes.com/a/iAO9iU/MNS-C100-Viking
-Destroyers:
80x https://www.simpleplanes.com/a/AT0BDK/ROCN-028-Raven
46x https://www.simpleplanes.com/a/8P6ODN/MNS-D101-Shogun
-Frigates:
123x https://www.simpleplanes.com/a/8JuSDg/MNS-62-Samurai-Remastered
-Corvettes/Patrol Vessels:
289x https://www.simpleplanes.com/a/1VPYw2/MNS-P01F-Ronin
34x https://www.simpleplanes.com/a/zIb4sP/Orca-Class-Missile-Boat
-Submarines:
34x https://www.simpleplanes.com/a/qFLu5C/Soryu-Class-SSN

Aircraft
-Helicopters:
234x https://www.simpleplanes.com/a/o78q76/Dragot-Aerospace-LH-1-Mule
36x https://www.simpleplanes.com/a/80esV4/Dragot-Aerospace-AH-1-Vindicator
56x https://www.simpleplanes.com/a/X9bA15/OH-3-Zeus
-Patrol/Transport:
45x https://www.simpleplanes.com/a/2bz87P/LS-P-1A-Swordfish
34x https://www.simpleplanes.com/a/2Ii6P6/Bandit-Lockheed-C-130M-Hercules
52x *I need to yell at my friend to make a transport variation of the Swordfish
23x https://www.simpleplanes.com/a/K9UFU2/LS-E-1A-Klaxon

**I am not going to bother to list other auxiliary vessels (2,000 of 'em) or my maritime infantry's equipment.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:18 am

Rich and Corporations wrote:isn't 90% of all US military aviation crashes from Ospreys?

I don't know where you got that statistic from, IIRC the last time I looked the Osprey didn't have a crash record notably higher then general rotor craft.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information