NATION

PASSWORD

NS Military Realism Consultancy Thread Mk X Purps Safe Space

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Padnak
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Any book recommendations for someone interested in pacification/counter insurgency efforts of US and South Vietnamese forces during the Vietnam war?
"มีใบมีดคมและจิตใจที่คมชัด!"
Have a sharp blade, and a sharper mind!
Need weapons for dubious purposes? Buy Padarm today!
San-Silvacian: Aug 11, 2011-Mar 20, 2015
Inquilabstan wrote:It is official now. Padnak is really Cobra Commander.

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Husseinarti wrote:Powered Borscht.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Immoren wrote:Again we've sexual tension that can be cut with a bowie.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:53 am

It's random question time.

Effectiveness of unguided rocket artillery for the purposes of counter battery fire on the modern battlefield when facing mechanized artillery forces?
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:47 am

Well, just look at South Korea and it's current artillery disposition and dispersion. I don't think it'd be very effective given the dispersiin involved and in the end, I'd only think that unguided rocket artillery works as even a suppressive weapon in game that make them as such.
Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:35 am

What game? I am talking about real life.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:36 am

It depends largely on how well you know where the enemy's battery is. If it's reasonably known to you, then a few dozen 122mm rockets will mess them up.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:52 am

Purpelia wrote:It's random question time.

Effectiveness of unguided rocket artillery for the purposes of counter battery fire on the modern battlefield when facing mechanized artillery forces?

Throw enough shit at the wall and it'll stick, there's a certain terror to missiles randomly raining from above
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

United Earthlings
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United Earthlings » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:56 am

Keskinen wrote:Question/wild idea for everyone?

How feasible would navalising a JAS-39E/F for use on a Kitty Hawk-class aircraft carrier? I ask because I just realized I hadn't overhauled my naval aircraft section yet and am looking for something to change over to from the mid-80's US-standard F-14/A-7/EA-6/S-3 set up when I "de-Americanised" my factbooks.

Technical feasibility wouldn’t be the issue, the budgetary requirements to develop a naval JAS-39E/F is what would probably kill the project in your nation as it has in real life to date. For the projected costs of further research, development and testing alone your nation could probably get at least two fully equipped squadrons [12 aircraft per squadron] of Rafales. And if the goal of your nation is truly to de-Americanize, that’s a tall order and you’re going about it the wrong way.

And on a related note, IMO attempting to compare the capabilities of a Gripen to even its canard cousins and then bitterly complain about the Gripen when it fails said inaccurate apples to apples comparison is disingenuous.

Gripen as well its brothers and sisters in similar weight classes where designed with specific requirements in mind, ignoring those requirements, whether intentionally and unintentionally, seemed to me to lacked the proper nuance recognition each fighter deserves on its own merits.

For example, if I only prioritized cost per flight hour as the determining factor to choose the best fighter in the world, then Gripen wins hands down and I could accurately declare it the best fighter in the world, but then that would also be a inaccurate apples to apples comparison to other fighters and therefore the comparison no matter how accurate would itself be disingenuous.
Commonwealth Defence Export|OC Thread for Storefront|Write-Ups
Embassy Page|Categories Types

You may delay, but time will not, therefore make sure to enjoy the time you've wasted.

Welcome to the NSverse, where funding priorities and spending levels may seem very odd, to say the least.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:34 am

United Earthlings wrote:For example, if I only prioritized cost per flight hour as the determining factor to choose the best fighter in the world

Then you'd realize Saab is lying in most of their promotional brochures.

The fact that the SwAF can't maintain a reliable QRA force is testament to this.

Keskinen
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 01, 2015

Postby Keskinen » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:44 am

Gallia- wrote:
United Earthlings wrote:For example, if I only prioritized cost per flight hour as the determining factor to choose the best fighter in the world

Then you'd realize Saab is lying in most of their promotional brochures.

The fact that the SwAF can't maintain a reliable QRA force is testament to this.

It doesn't help that they're cutting up the C/D variants before the E/F variants have reached IOC but that's another story.
THE ROYAL SOVEREIGN MONARCHY OF KESKINEN\\//Kuninkaallinen suvereeni monarkia Keskinen
A Modern Tech nation based on Finland with German and some American influence.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:51 am

Perhaps if they spent enough money to fly their planes the cost per flight hour would increase?

But that would require Sweden taking its national defense seriously again.
Last edited by Gallia- on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keskinen
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 01, 2015

Postby Keskinen » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Depends on whether or not they keep spotting "phantom Russian submarines" off their coast again. I haven't heard anything in a while but it sounded like they were kicking themselves for removing airborne ASW capability.
THE ROYAL SOVEREIGN MONARCHY OF KESKINEN\\//Kuninkaallinen suvereeni monarkia Keskinen
A Modern Tech nation based on Finland with German and some American influence.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:53 pm

They weren't phantoms. They were probably submersibles or tracked submarine vehicles being used for espionage missions by the Naval Spetsnas that got stuck or hit an underwater rock. The crew panics, sends up a rescue radio buoy that is intercepted by surprisingly well-funded Swedish REC units, who alerted the Navy. The boat frees itself or escapes later without incident. Russia denies everything and calls the Swedes drunken crackpots while berating the ship crew behind closed doors.

Russia has been playing around in Sweden's part of the Baltics for over 50 years. Unlike the CIA, they usually don't tell them about it beforehand.

If Visby had its full weapons and sensors complement it might be adequate at finding and destroying said submersibles.
Last edited by Gallia- on Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:04 pm

Keskinen wrote:Depends on whether or not they keep spotting "phantom Russian submarines" off their coast again. I haven't heard anything in a while but it sounded like they were kicking themselves for removing airborne ASW capability.

I don't really see why they'd care. I mean, say its all true and that Putin did just brazenly violate their border. What are they going to do about it? Sink a Russian sub and start WW3? Un bloody likely. The most that'd happen is a stern protest and some meaningless posturing. So they ain't loosing nothing.

And besides Sweden literally voted to gave up their right to self defense in 1980.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:05 pm

Purpelia wrote:What are they going to do about it? Sink a Russian sub

We can only hope so. ):

Perhaps invest in giving Visby her full complement of weapons and depth charging the submarines, capturing the crews, and executing them for espionage? That would make Putin really flank flustered.
Last edited by Gallia- on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Repeat after me: The atomic holocaust is not your friend.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:09 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Keskinen wrote:Depends on whether or not they keep spotting "phantom Russian submarines" off their coast again. I haven't heard anything in a while but it sounded like they were kicking themselves for removing airborne ASW capability.

I don't really see why they'd care. I mean, say its all true and that Putin did just brazenly violate their border. What are they going to do about it? Sink a Russian sub and start WW3? Un bloody likely. The most that'd happen is a stern protest and some meaningless posturing. So they ain't loosing nothing.

And besides Sweden literally voted to gave up their right to self defense in 1980.

Russia won't start a war over some sunken submersibles any more than the West started a war over the downing of MH17. Putin has nothing to gain from it.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:03 pm

Commando frogmen in your nation?

Galla, being a maritime power, has two commando frogman units:

• S/A-Dyk
Reconnaissance/sabotage frogman unit. S/A-Dyk frogmen are trained primarily for the purposes of hydrographic mapping, beach and surf reconnaissance, and destruction of undersea obstacles. Secondary missions include the coastal/littoral reconnaissance, port sabotage/destruction, and seizure of ships at sea. S/A-Dyk units are organized in companies of ~300 men each, and there are at least six companies. The primary delivery vehicle of S/A-Dyk frogmen is submarine. This can vary from exiting through a torpedo tube, entering a submersible on the surface (either a minisub carried by a mothership or arriving by dinghy/helicopter/whatever), or deploying from an inflatable raft while the submarine is surfaced. Other delivery systems include helicopters, transport aircraft, surface ship (trawler, frigate, etc.), and amphibious armored fighting vehicles.

S/A-Dyk divers are specifically trained in obstacle destruction of various types (both harbour defenses and anti-landing obstacles), limpet mine placement, plastique use, small arms combat training (primarily surface, rather than undersea), and atomic demolition munition (ADM) employment. Unlike the Coastal Rangers, they are not trained in hostage rescue, long-range reconnaissance, destruction of special forces units, or littoral combat search-and-rescue. Their principle purpose is facilitating attacks by amphibious ground forces through hydrographic, obstacle, and force reconnaissance, degrading enemy naval power, and destruction of specific coastal facilities such as dams, bridges, ports, radar sites, etc.

To some extent, the latter mission overlaps with the Coastal Rangers, who are a more "traditional" special force, trained to destroy specific high value targets, conduct hostage rescue operations and counter-terrorism, destroy enemy commando units, and perform long-range reconnaissance in isolation. Unlike the S/A-Dyk, the Coastal Rangers receive comparatively little training in combat diving or obstacle destruction, but often are much more heavily armed (recoilless rifles, medium machine guns, and grenade launchers predominantly) and rarely deployed in fewer than platoon strength.

• U/A-Dyk
Counter-commando frogmen, trained for defense of ports and naval facilities. Where the S/A-Dyk are trained in beach reconnaissance and pre-landing operations prior to a large-scale amphibious assault, the U/A-Dyk are trained to defend underwater facilities from attack/sabotage by enemy special forces. To facilitate this, they are equipped with far more esoteric equipment than their comrades, including deep diving compressed air breathing apparatus, suitable for combat dives down to greater than 200 meters. This deep-dive capability allows the U/A-Dyk to defend the Royal Navy's underwater Hyssna Naval Station, tend to the high frequency sonobuoy network that guides submarines into the underground dock, and defend the lock system from sabotage by enemy commandos. The U/A-Dyk can be found in detachments up to battalion strength (~800 men) and are nominally organized into companies of ~150 men.

The U/A-Dyk also controls the Royal Navy's undersea animal program, which it uses to further its three major missions of harbour defense, deep undersea object recovery, and counter-sabotage.

Where they differ is focus, the S/A-Dyk are much less adept at the job of counter-frogman/special forces destruction than the U/A-Dyk, and the latter have more esoteric skills such as technician and repairman training that allows them to maintain specific harbour defense installations. Conversely, the U/A-Dyk lacks the training in explosives, surface combat, and demolitions that the S/A-Dyk receives, as well as hydrographic mapping, long-range reconnaissance, and nuclear weapons training. Both commando frogman units are equipped with underwater assault rifles firing modified 5.56x45mm rounds firing supercavitating bullets, underwater dart-firing pistols, and trained in hand-to-hand combat using knives and focusing specifically on underwater combat. Additionally, both units can be equipped with a variety of specialized underwater vehicles. The U/A-Dyk is equipped with mechanized, tank-like vehicles that can maneuver across the seafloor at great depths, as well as atmospheric diving suits that allow them to accompany their robotic vehicles to depths of about 700 meters. These vehicles are primarily used for deep sea recovery of underwater objects beyond the operating depth of SCUBA.

The S/A-Dyk has considered adapting the Royal Navy's seafloor vehicles to carry heavy undersea weapons.

Conspiracy theorists assert that the S/A-Dyk's infatuation with undersea mechanization, the U/A-Dyk's mounting of high powered weapons on their atmospheric diving suits, and the mere existence of such objects, is evidence that the Royal Navy has been locked in combat with a race of Antediluvian eldritch horrors at the bottom of the sea for the past 30 years.

The Navy has yet to disclose whether this is the truth.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:09 pm

Purpelia wrote:Repeat after me: The atomic holocaust is not your friend.

Håll
Gränsen
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Repeat after me: The atomic holocaust is not your friend.

Håll
Gränsen

nils swedlund was a man all freedom loving human beings should admire ;-;

behold hall gransen-verse (aka romneyverse):

gen shit destroyed by president thieu

hold the border motto of bakker-schut world and romneyverse

Nuclear-armed anti-ship missiles (as the RBS-15 is believed to have such a non-conventional option capability), as well as nuclear-armed torpedoes, would primarily have been targeted at naval transportation.

atomic visby

sonarentity: "sir we hear a russian submarine"
kapten: "do you have your key?"
xo: "yessir"

>click click click click

>dun dun dun dun

Last edited by Gallia- on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

-AlEmAnNiA-
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 19, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby -AlEmAnNiA- » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:44 pm

Gallia- wrote:Commando frogmen in your nation?

Alemannia is landlocked and doesn't have any rip

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:50 pm

-Alemannia- wrote:
Gallia- wrote:Commando frogmen in your nation?

Alemannia is landlocked and doesn't have any rip

So is Purpelia but I still do. Purpelian frogmen are part of the river navy forces and specialize on blowing up bridges, river ports and generally disrupting enemy river operations.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:59 pm

Gallia- wrote:lmao landlocked

I chose that deliberately because I genuinely don't care about ships and navies and such beyond a few idiosyncrasies like late 19th century capital ship ramming bows. It's just not interesting for me.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information