NATION

PASSWORD

NS Military Realism Consultancy Thread Mk X Purps Safe Space

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:29 pm

Any printing can be done at battalion headquarters. Issue four printers at the battalion level and be done.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Chinese Peoples
Minister

Founded: Dec 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Peoples » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:31 pm

Allanea wrote:Any printing can be done at battalion headquarters. Issue four printers at the battalion level and be done.

To make the parallel ports useful and fuddle enemies, we will issue printers with parallel ports and no USB. :p
IC Title: the Republic of China | MT | Factbooks | the only democratic China on NS
The duty of the state is to prevent danger, not to punish it after it has happened. Rescind the 2nd Amendment, today.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:43 pm

Chinese Peoples wrote:CPU consumes 25W, GPU 30W; that's reasonable by my standards.

Which means using the GPU more than halves your battery live for no actual benefit.

It's a nice thing to have, if so.

Militaries don't run on "nice to haves." The money you're wasting on these laptops would be better invested in more training and field exercises. Or any number of things, really.

They can look at the models in detail when they're planning the route; they can look at the general terrain with sufficient detail when starting to grasp the general environment. Aren't there territorial features, such as a well, that are physically small but should show up clearly due to their importance?

No details that could be economically modeled across an entire country's worth of buildings.

Don't they? I'd imagine soldiers would handle some of their own paperwork.

In the middle of enemy territory?

The only time they'd need to print something is if they're back at the base. Where there should be printers of your own. Why would they be printing out forms from a random printer they found lying around? Beyond that, wasn't the whole point to reduce the need for actual paper in the first place?

I think we can spare the perhaps $2 that would be needed to add a parallel port to a laptop.

It's not cost. It's space and yet another port that needs to be kept clean. Each port is a place for dust and dirt ingress. And legacy ports are quite large.

My laptop (thinkpad P51s) has a discrete GPU, which is alternately in operation with the integrated Intel GPU controlled by the maxima chip or something of that nature that only runs the GPU when it's required, and the system enjoys a cozy ~12 hours battery life in actual usage. Add some swappable batteries, and battery life seems like a minor concern to me.

Except for the part where now the troops have to carry extra batteries. This is honestly getting worse and worse.

If there are USB printers as ubiquitous as you say they are, then perhaps there will be convenient places to charge said batteries, since you can't run conventional printers off USB power anyway.

So your troops just stop for a few hours every now and then to charge up in some random shack? This must be excellent news for any potential foe.

Perhaps some good tech will be good for morale?

Carrying around an 8 lb computer plus 2 lbs in power cords and probably another 2 lbs in batteries (at least) will be worse for morale than any benefit you might expect. The soldiers already have phones so most will be wondering why they need to lug these dumb laptops around.

We're talking about accidental damage that can seriously hamper some operation if a back-up is not found soon; isn't this the same reason why there are always seconds-in-command in formations?

It's not, actually. Executive officers have actual functions that are separate of the commanding officer. They don't just twiddle their thumbs waiting until the commanding officer gets killed.

Like I say, this is about providing more information, not providing all the information there is.

Not relevant information.

If you know your target is in room 310, then perhaps a 3D visualization of the fact that there is a dumbwaiter leading into that room from the basement kitchen skipping the enemy-occupied lobby, wouldn't that be convenient?

You can read this from a floor plan.

I'm saying that the same can be done by the armed forces for their private use. If civilians can launch satellites, so can the state.

Except they can't, because spectrum is limited.

The fundamental problem is that you've put the cart before the horse and are trying to grasp at straws to justify something you want OOC rather than actually thinking about whether such a device would be useful in the first place. And "useful" does not mean cooking up some terribly unlikely situation that is physically possible but so improbable as to beggar belief. It's just playing at pedantry.

The worst part is that it's not even a useful device. A laptop in the field is a clunky. A mobile device can be slipped into a pants or vest pocket and easily pulled out by soldiers in the field for use. A laptop has to be stored in a rucksack or something similar, meaning the soldier has to stop, take off their rucksack (which is harder when they're wearing full kit), pull it out, open it, turn it on, and then start using it. Then pack it all up again when he's done. He can't just pull it out of a pocket while on the march like a phone.

At this point it's become pretty clear you're just looking for a rubber stamp of approval for your idea and are dead set on doing it either way, so I don't see it as worth anyone's time to continue this discussion.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:56 pm

I served in the armed forces an an armorer (very briefly), as a computer technician/system administrator, and then as a personal assistant/secretary.

At no point has there been a need for individual enlisted men to just randomly print things for mission-related stuff, and if they needed to do Army paperwork, it would be printed out for them to fill out by the Human Resources clerks (which we had all of 3 of ).

We also had our very own plotter and our very own publishing office on-base!
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:05 am

Allanea wrote:

I served in the armed forces an an armorer (very briefly), as a computer technician/system administrator, and then as a personal assistant/secretary.

At no point has there been a need for individual enlisted men to just randomly print things for mission-related stuff, and if they needed to do Army paperwork, it would be printed out for them to fill out by the Human Resources clerks (which we had all of 3 of ).

We also had our very own plotter and our very own publishing office on-base!

I too am in the Armed forces right now. We leave all of our paperwork to our S1, S2, S3 (etc.) offices and the officers. We only concenr ourselves with actual work, and shenanigans, at the enlisted level for very good reason. I know people whom have entered the armed forces at GT scores capable of making a rock look good, and that's stretching for a lack of intelligence on the rock's part. Don't try and put more on your soldiers, they'll love you for it because it just makes sense. Officers plan. Sergeants yell. Junior Enlisted grumble. This is the way of the armed forces and nothing in the history of warfare has ever changed this. You will always have the leader up front, the leader in support, and the sorry S.O.B. that has to actually do work somewhere out in the field... doing work.
Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

Chinese Peoples
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Peoples » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:08 am

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Chinese Peoples wrote:CPU consumes 25W, GPU 30W; that's reasonable by my standards.

Which means using the GPU more than halves your battery live for no actual benefit.

Surely you realize there are other consumers of battery power, like plug-in devices and the screen.

The Akasha Colony wrote:
They can look at the models in detail when they're planning the route; they can look at the general terrain with sufficient detail when starting to grasp the general environment. Aren't there territorial features, such as a well, that are physically small but should show up clearly due to their importance?

No details that could be economically modeled across an entire country's worth of buildings.

Wells?

The Akasha Colony wrote:

In the middle of enemy territory?

The only time they'd need to print something is if they're back at the base. Where there should be printers of your own. Why would they be printing out forms from a random printer they found lying around? Beyond that, wasn't the whole point to reduce the need for actual paper in the first place?

Yes, but that isn't to say that there won't be any required paperwork. Plus, USB ports can be used for a variety of things, so having a dedicated printer port will release the USB port.

The Akasha Colony wrote:
I think we can spare the perhaps $2 that would be needed to add a parallel port to a laptop.

It's not cost. It's space and yet another port that needs to be kept clean. Each port is a place for dust and dirt ingress. And legacy ports are quite large.

Ports can also be covered.

The Akasha Colony wrote:
My laptop (thinkpad P51s) has a discrete GPU, which is alternately in operation with the integrated Intel GPU controlled by the maxima chip or something of that nature that only runs the GPU when it's required, and the system enjoys a cozy ~12 hours battery life in actual usage. Add some swappable batteries, and battery life seems like a minor concern to me.

Except for the part where now the troops have to carry extra batteries. This is honestly getting worse and worse.

They don't have to. It's not like they're browsing the Internet the entire day anyway while on the move.

The Akasha Colony wrote:
If there are USB printers as ubiquitous as you say they are, then perhaps there will be convenient places to charge said batteries, since you can't run conventional printers off USB power anyway.

So your troops just stop for a few hours every now and then to charge up in some random shack? This must be excellent news for any potential foe.

I'm saying they can charge in some random shack where there is electricity, if they run out battery.

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Perhaps some good tech will be good for morale?

Carrying around an 8 lb computer plus 2 lbs in power cords and probably another 2 lbs in batteries (at least) will be worse for morale than any benefit you might expect. The soldiers already have phones so most will be wondering why they need to lug these dumb laptops around.

5 lbs, max. Please don't forget that I said they can carry batteries, not that they necessarily will.

The Akasha Colony wrote:
We're talking about accidental damage that can seriously hamper some operation if a back-up is not found soon; isn't this the same reason why there are always seconds-in-command in formations?

It's not, actually. Executive officers have actual functions that are separate of the commanding officer. They don't just twiddle their thumbs waiting until the commanding officer gets killed.

What about data centres and redundancy? Are you telling me that the armed forces do not carry spares for anything?

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Like I say, this is about providing more information, not providing all the information there is.

Not relevant information.

It's totally relevant. In 3D, there are possibilities that aren't immediately apparent in 2D. Anyone who has played 3D Tetris can attest to this.

The Akasha Colony wrote:
I'm saying that the same can be done by the armed forces for their private use. If civilians can launch satellites, so can the state.

Except they can't, because spectrum is limited.

Aren't there reserved frequencies out there!?

The Akasha Colony wrote:The fundamental problem is that you've put the cart before the horse and are trying to grasp at straws to justify something you want OOC rather than actually thinking about whether such a device would be useful in the first place. And "useful" does not mean cooking up some terribly unlikely situation that is physically possible but so improbable as to beggar belief. It's just playing at pedantry.

And you seem to have persistently done the exact reverse: you conjure up scenarios where this device will be useless. A spoon is useless most of the day, and so will a gas mask be; yet when they are useful, they are. A laptop has additional functionality over a hand-held device, and you yourself have agreed to that. Instead of discussing those merits, we have been stuck discussing whether a parallel port will be useful. By my personal experience, I can tell you that it is, because it is an additional port, and not everyone is careless enough to spill water in parallel ports. If an environment is harsh enough that it will find its way through a parallel port, it will probably find its way through the Ethernet port or SD card reader too, and those are present on the Roughbook by Panasonic, in fact 2 of them. Backwards compatibility is good.

The Akasha Colony wrote:At this point it's become pretty clear you're just looking for a rubber stamp of approval for your idea and are dead set on doing it either way, so I don't see it as worth anyone's time to continue this discussion.

Yes, so give it to me.
IC Title: the Republic of China | MT | Factbooks | the only democratic China on NS
The duty of the state is to prevent danger, not to punish it after it has happened. Rescind the 2nd Amendment, today.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:25 am

Chinese Peoples wrote:
Taihei Tengoku wrote:Just fuckin

go outside and see it for yourself

But that building may be occupied by an enemy, or there might be insufficient lighting...

Bring handgrenades. A lot of them. Every gram not dedicated to carrying handgrenades and rifle ammunition in FIBUA is a colossal waste.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:30 am

And you seem to have persistently done the exact reverse: you conjure up scenarios where this device will be useless. A spoon is useless most of the day, and so will a gas mask be; yet when they are useful, they are. A laptop has additional functionality over a hand-held device, and you yourself have agreed to that. Instead of discussing those merits, we have been stuck discussing whether a parallel port will be useful. By my personal experience, I can tell you that it is, because it is an additional port, and not everyone is careless enough to spill water in parallel ports. If an environment is harsh enough that it will find its way through a parallel port, it will probably find its way through the Ethernet port or SD card reader too, and those are present on the Roughbook by Panasonic, in fact 2 of them. Backwards compatibility is good.

There is only one functionality a laptop has over a handheld: It has a keyboard.

A keyboard is not necessary to view building floor plans.

Nor do you need 10 floor-plan viewers per squad.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:31 am

Yes, so give it to me.

You are not getting a rubber stamp. End of discussion.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:31 am

Chinese Peoples wrote:Yes, so give it to me.

No.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Chinese Peoples
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Peoples » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:35 am

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Chinese Peoples wrote:Yes, so give it to me.

No.
Lamoni wrote:
Yes, so give it to me.

Hey, this thread is about "realism", not about economy. My treasury can support issuing laptops. As long as it isn't impossible, I'm pretty satisfied, so by engaging in this discussion you have already given your stamps. Thank you. :p

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:39 am

In more on-topic news, we are nearing the end of the thread so it's *that* time again.

Nominations will close in five pages or when we get ten nominees, whichever comes first. Reviving the previous rules, only those who have made at least ten substantive posts in this thread are eligible to be OP. The current OP is not eligible for re-nomination, and self-nominations are still barred.

At the end of the nomination process, voting will open and will run for two weeks or until we reach page 495, whichever comes first.

Code: Select all
[size=125]This is my Nomination. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
[b]Nominee:[/b][/size]
Last edited by The Akasha Colony on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:39 am

Chinese Peoples wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:
No.
Lamoni wrote:

Hey, this thread is about "realism", not about economy. My treasury can support issuing laptops. As long as it isn't impossible, I'm pretty satisfied, so by engaging in this discussion you have already given your stamps. Thank you. :p

National Anthem

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Chinese Peoples
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Peoples » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:40 am

-withdrawn-
Last edited by Chinese Peoples on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:41 am

This is my Nomination. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Nominee: The Akasha Colony
National Anthem

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:44 am

Nominee:Allanea
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:48 am

Nominee: The Akasha Colony
Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

Chinese Peoples
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Peoples » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:49 am

So while we're still on this subject, I'd like to present a phone that I'm also issuing to my armed forces.

Spec
CPUB11 Quadrionic, 8-core @ 1.5 GHz
RAM8 GB, DDR4
GraphicsG11, 4-core @ 3.33 GHz; 4 GB VRAM GDDR5
Storage128 GB flash storage
Display4.5", 401 dpi, 520 nits
Networking5G wireless, Wifi, Bluetooth
Battery40 hours audio playback
I/Ocharger, audio-out, SIM, Micro SD (addressable up to 2 TB of external storage), USB C 3.1 w/ Thunderbolt
Cameraback, 12 MP; front, 6 MP; flashlight on both sides
OSProprietary
Other featuresredial, haptic home button, volume up/down button, power button, wireless charge, rapid charge (50% in one hour), water resistant, dust resistant

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:49 am

Chinese Peoples wrote:It doesn't seem like there's a rule against self-nomination this time, so:

Nominee:Chinese Peoples

There's always a rule against self-nomination, just like there's a rule against re-nominating the current OP.

It should go without saying, unlike the 10-post restriction, which is newer.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Chinese Peoples
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Peoples » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:51 am

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Chinese Peoples wrote:It doesn't seem like there's a rule against self-nomination this time, so:

Nominee:Chinese Peoples

There's always a rule against self-nomination, just like there's a rule against re-nominating the current OP.

It should go without saying, unlike the 10-post restriction, which is newer.

Ugh.

I didnt vote for Trump
Envoy

Founded: Nov 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby I didnt vote for Trump » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:27 am

I feel like if more people went outside once in a while, a lot of these questions end up answering themselves.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:31 am

I didnt vote for Trump wrote:I feel like if more people went outside once in a while, a lot of these questions end up answering themselves.

That's a joke desu yo ne?
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013

Postby Gallia- » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:32 am

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
I didnt vote for Trump wrote:I feel like if more people went outside once in a while, a lot of these questions end up answering themselves.

That's a joke desu yo ne?

Chinese Peoples seems to be like the type who could use some Vitamin D in his diet.

Husseinarti
Senator

Founded: Mar 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Husseinarti » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:05 am

Nominee:Nirvash Type TheEND
Bash the fash, neopup the neo-cons, crotale the commies, and super entendard socialists

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information