NATION

PASSWORD

Nationalisation

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Maraque
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 22, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Maraque » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:46 am

The following are nationalized:

Healthcare
Education
Police
Public transportation
Telecommunications
Heating
Electricity
Waste disposal
Mail delivery

However, private enterprise in those industries is allowed (sans police & education), and the government enjoys competition.

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:47 am

The government owns and controls:

-the entire oil/alternative fuels industry
-the entire uranium mining industry
-the entire arms manufacturing industry

Services like firefighting, police and hospitals are government controlled (at the least).
Last edited by F1-Insanity on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

Neo Israel
Bureaucrat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Israel » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:49 am

Neo Israel notes that in this country, services such as firefighting and education are not regarded as standard industries, but as services the nation must essentially provide. As such, they are "owned" by the state.

Ostronopolis
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ostronopolis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:59 am

Although there are some public services provided for by the states, most notably education, the Federal Government, and most state governments operate under a strict laissez-faire capitalist system. However, private competition is prevalent in nearly every sector including privately contracted police, military and security companies while private educational services and charity organizations; mostly run by religious institutions.

--- Jamie Elmer, Professor of Ostronopolian Studies ~ Zavier College
Last edited by Ostronopolis on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most Noble Republican Union of Ostronopolis
“Mortici Touaente Antimia”
Ostronopolian Trading Company || Congburgers || Communique Guide || Factbook ||
Member of: || The Conglomerate || Sovereign Network
Observer of: || COMINTERN || IFA ||

Quotes:
<Amit:> Ostro
<Amit> Through your sheer force of character
<Amit> You could get a nation to work for you

Rodrigues-Alves
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rodrigues-Alves » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:25 am

Only schools and hospitals.

Oh, and the police and firefighters.

Ostronopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ostronopolis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:02 am

Fatatatutti wrote:"We have specific legislation which permits workers to take control of their workplace from the former non-working owners."

Ah I see, nothing like legalized theft eh?

--- Gregory Helmsner ~ Founder of Free-Market Supporters Organization

Quotes:

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 02, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:11 am

Ostronopolis wrote:
Fatatatutti wrote:"We have specific legislation which permits workers to take control of their workplace from the former non-working owners."

"Theft" would imply that the prior ownership was legitimate. And since Fatatatutian culture has no strong tradition of individual property ownership at all, that kind of legitimacy is hard to establish. The possession-is-nine-points-of-the-law principle applies - those occupying the premises, using the tools, producing the goods, etc. have established considerable legitimacy.

-- Harmony Chang, President, Communist Party of Fatatatutti
Last edited by Fatatatutti on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neo Israel
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Israel » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:19 am

I think the billions of USD which I have poured in to this company from the day it was first established make my ownership fairly legitimate.

I do recall an early attempt by some work foreman to form a teamster's union, something they could use to strong-arm me at will, force me in to making decisions based on any demands they cared to make. I listened politely and heard them out as they explained their intention to me. I then picked up my desk telephone while they were still in the office, called my company's main lawyer, and told him to prepare to file for an immediate bankruptcy case.

Having done this I told the ringleaders that, in light of the unfortunate circumstances the entire work force would have to be laid off, effective immediately. I think that is still the quickest backtracking job I've seen in my entire life. Funny, in its own way.

- Hayim Asa, Founder and Chairman/CEO of Beirut Pharmaceutical
Last edited by Neo Israel on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Praetonia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 17, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Praetonia » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:21 am

lol at all the "free marketeers" here who have nationalised police forces. That sort of bolshevism would never be tolerated in the true free world.

Fatatatutti wrote:
Ostronopolis wrote:

"Theft" would imply that the prior ownership was legitimate. And since Fatatatutian culture has no strong tradition of individual property ownership at all, that kind of legitimacy is hard to establish. The possession-is-nine-points-of-the-law principle applies - those occupying the premises, using the tools, producing the goods, etc. have established considerable legitimacy.

So if a worker takes their dividends from the co-op that they communally own and use it to buy tools which they rent to other workers, the other workers can take their tools away from them? That is exploitation, comrade.
Last edited by Praetonia on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amystris
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Amystris » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:22 am

There are very Few Publicly owned buisnessess in Amystris
Allies: Dyanstia, Trerents, Verzia and its Allies

Mustang Quotes

1)You can call me Roy Mustang. Or just Lieutenant Colonel. Hell, you can call me the Flame Alchemist. Whatever you do, remember the pain.

2)Killed in Action, and promoted two ranks for it. Brigadier General Hughes. You were the guy who was supposed to work below me and to push me to the top. Then you get yourself killed and surpass me in the ranks. I don't know what's more absurd. You or the State.

Song of the Day
Ready Steady GO by L'arc-en-Ciel

Lowell Leber
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Lowell Leber » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:22 am

Arms Manufacturing, Railroads Manufacturing, Public Transit, and Aerospace Engineering are state owned. All emergency responder services are as well. The rest is private enterprise stricly overseen by the military government running the nation. Currently the government is in the process of buying out the largest private oil conglomerates in order to nationalize the oil industry as well.
Last edited by Lowell Leber on Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC The Leberite Empire

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11

Ostronopolis
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ostronopolis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:23 am

Harmony Chang wrote:" "Theft" would imply that the prior ownership was legitimate. And since Fatatatutian culture has no strong tradition of individual property ownership at all, that kind of legitimacy is hard to establish. The possession-is-nine-points-of-the-law principle applies - those occupying the premises, using the tools, producing the goods, etc. have established considerable legitimacy."

And how is an obtained factory or base of production using your own capital NOT having a legitimate base of ownership? While I'm not willing to argue with your social traditions, as that is non of my concern, I will say that your precept of the prior ownership having no legitimate right to actually own their property is thievery at best.

Those occupying the premises using the tools and producing the goods with the owner's capital and property, have no established legitimacy, as they are employed by the owner of the capital and resources at hand. They have no legitimacy to takeover the base of their work without the proper capital retribution paid to the owner.

--- Gregory Helmsner ~ Founder of Free-Market Supporters Organization
Last edited by Ostronopolis on Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quotes:

La Habana
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby La Habana » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:32 am

Pub...lic...ly.....owned? *Struggles to pronounce phrase due to nobody in La Habana having heard it in decades* What is this term of which you speak?

Everything is privately owned in La Habana.....see factbook for details and more info ;)
The Original CyberPunk Dystopia of NationStates.
Proteus of F7, God of Foresight and Transformation.
LA HABANA FACTBOOK
Council Member of The Vladivostok Alliance.
New Sociopia wrote:Really camp Jesus flailing his wrists wildly and saying 'Like, ohmygod! Get out of the temple bitches! You aren't nearly fabulous enough!'
La Habana wrote:
Kalasparata wrote:I own most of Antarctica!

Like hell you do.

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:57 am

Praetonia wrote:So if a worker takes their dividends from the co-op that they communally own and use it to buy tools which they rent to other workers, the other workers can take their tools away from them? That is exploitation, comrade.

Yes, renting tools to your own co-workers would be exploitation. A responsible worker-owner would vote to spend the money on communally-owned tools instead of distributing it as a dividend.

But the topic is about nationalization which has nothing to do with worker-controlled industries.

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:04 am

Ostronopolis wrote:And how is an obtained factory or base of production using your own capital NOT having a legitimate base of ownership?

If you buy a factory with capital that was not earned legitimately, how is that legitimate?

... I will say that your precept of the prior ownership having no legitimate right to actually own their property is thievery at best.

Not at all. The prior owners were the thieves, who used the property in an illegitimate manner to exploit the workers. The property is simply being returned to somebody who will use it responsibly. It's rather similar to a police auction.

But the topic is about nationalization, not your odd ideas of property ownership.

Neo Israel
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Israel » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:07 am

Fatatatutti wrote:
Ostronopolis wrote:And how is an obtained factory or base of production using your own capital NOT having a legitimate base of ownership?

If you buy a factory with capital that was not earned legitimately, how is that legitimate?

How is it legitimate? I earned the money used to buy the place. It is legitimately mine, so long as the capital used is legitimately earned. I'm highly successful, and I will not apologize for my methods.

If you do not know what "methods" I speak of, see my previous statement.

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:15 am

Neo Israel wrote:
Fatatatutti wrote:If you buy a factory with capital that was not earned legitimately, how is that legitimate?

How is it legitimate? I earned the money used to buy the place. It is legitimately mine, so long as the capital used is legitimately earned.

You're just procaliming that you earned the money legitimately. I said "IF it was NOT earned legitimately". If you exploited workers - e.g. if you underpaid them, made them work in unsafe conditions, polluted their environment, etc. - then you stole the money.

I'm highly successful, and I will not apologize for my methods.

I never asked you to apologize. I just turned your factory over to more responsible owners.

And can you guys please unbunch your panties and stick to the topic?

Big Brain City
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 09, 2010
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Big Brain City » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:20 am

We have national health,map,food,farm,post,education companies/systems.
Big Brain City is communist.
Last edited by Big Brain City on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE STATE OF BIG BRAIN CITY
EXITUS ACTA PROBAT

The Big Brain wrote:Freedom? People are fools and unworthy of much freedom. Even I am a fool. Many people have recognized that and want me to suffer for it.
Unfortunately for them, I can glass their planets.

Neo Israel
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Israel » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:21 am

Fatatatutti wrote:
Neo Israel wrote:
Fatatatutti wrote:If you buy a factory with capital that was not earned legitimately, how is that legitimate?

How is it legitimate? I earned the money used to buy the place. It is legitimately mine, so long as the capital used is legitimately earned.

You're just procaliming that you earned the money legitimately. I said "IF it was NOT earned legitimately". If you exploited workers - e.g. if you underpaid them, made them work in unsafe conditions, polluted their environment, etc. - then you stole the money.

I'm highly successful, and I will not apologize for my methods.

I never asked you to apologize. I just turned your factory over to more responsible owners.

And can you guys please unbunch your panties and stick to the topic?

Not really. We're trying to explain how we do things.

I have never, in all my days, done anything dishonest by my workers. They are well paid, given fine benefits, and work in the best safety regulated conditions. I make sure of it. That said, it is my company. I founded it, laid down the starting seed money, and I built it up by my husbandry of my resources.

If anybody tried to remove it from my control through a cowardly court slipknot, I would make it my personal goal to destroy that person, and I'm not in the least ashamed to say that.

Last edited by Neo Israel on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Danneland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Danneland » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:27 am

While the Government leaves the companies to themselves they must however have at least one man of age (18+) from a Noble family within the board of directors. And since common man is not wise enough to handle their own money it does not matter in the end.

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:38 am

Neo Israel wrote:I have never, in all my days, done anything dishonest by my workers. They are well paid, given fine benefits, and work in the best safety regulated conditions. I make sure of it.

Then the workers would have little reason to want a change, would they? Our legislation is designed to encourage that kind of employer behaviour - and to remove employers who don't perform adequately. It's the ultimate in merit-based free enterprise.

That said, it is my company. I founded it, laid down the starting seed money, and I built it up by my husbandry of my resources.

And we still come back to the original question of how you obtained the seed money. If a thief gives you his loot, it is not legitimately yours.

If anybody tried to remove it from my control through a cowardly court slipknot, I would make it my personal goal to destroy that person, and I'm not in the least ashamed to say that.

There are eight billion of us.

Neo Israel
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Israel » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:43 am

Fatatatutti wrote:Then the workers would have little reason to want a change, would they? Our legislation is designed to encourage that kind of employer behaviour - and to remove employers who don't perform adequately. It's the ultimate in merit-based free enterprise.

I can understand why you do it. I simply do not agree it is necessary.

And we still come back to the original question of how you obtained the seed money. If a thief gives you his loot, it is not legitimately yours.

I was a lawyer, and a physician for many years. I eventually decided I wished to go in to business privately, mostly for the challenges.

There are eight billion of us.

You're no real concern, as no court would allow you to presume to enforce your laws on a Neo Israeli firm on Neo Israeli soil, and as there is no Beirut Pharmaceutical facility in your country, I have no cause to be worried.

Last edited by Neo Israel on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Praetonia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 17, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Praetonia » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:46 am

Fatatatutti wrote:
Praetonia wrote:So if a worker takes their dividends from the co-op that they communally own and use it to buy tools which they rent to other workers, the other workers can take their tools away from them? That is exploitation, comrade.

Yes, renting tools to your own co-workers would be exploitation. A responsible worker-owner would vote to spend the money on communally-owned tools instead of distributing it as a dividend.

But the topic is about nationalization which has nothing to do with worker-controlled industries.

Ah, so workers own the companies, but only in so far as they do what Harmony Chang wants them to do? I see this Mutualism is not so different from Stalinism after all.

Fatatatutti
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Fatatatutti » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:54 am

Neo Israel wrote:You're no real concern, as no court would allow you to presume to enforce your laws on a Neo Israeli firm on Neo Israeli soil, and as there is no Beirut Pharmaceutical facility in your country, I have no cause to be worried.

What the hell are you talking about? I never said one single solitary word about doing anything outside of Fatatatutti.

New Olwe
Minister

Founded: Aug 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Olwe » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:56 am

Public/nationalized industries in New Olwe:

Healthcare
Water
Power
Banking
Housing
Railways/Roads
Police/Prisons
Firefighters
Recycling/Sanitation
Military
Postal service, including Owl Post
Park service
Magic-using nation here! I don't RP in MT.
I seem to have forgotten to post the part where my ambassador informs New Olwe's representative that we will help. I'll do that later, I hope. - Fortareata
Start an Embassy in New Olwe!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information