NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 9: Parabellum [NO KAIJU]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

No step on snek

Reeeeeeeeeee
8%
Oh fug :D DDDDD
4%
10mm best mm
9%
Ford should stop posting swords
30%
Puz is eternal leader of IDT
32%
Kyiv is not actually a tank but instead is a man trapped inside a tanks body
9%
Other assorted memes
8%

Total votes : 53

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:03 am

Grand Teutonic Empire wrote:Just looking at the section leader, he has:

-A rifle
-Eleven magazines
-Eight grenades
-A knife
-A hatchet
-A pistol
-4 pistol magazine (assuming one is in the pistol itself like the rifle)
-A headset
-SVGs
-A radio (Why isn't there just a radioman?)

First of all have you ever actualy looked at the amount of gear modern infantrymen carry?
The only thing i've given them in excess of that is 2 more magazines for their rifles, but i'm justifying this with the lighter weight of CTA ammunition.

Second infantry sections tend not to have a dedicated radioman, instead the leader will carry a realitivly slim and lightweight manpack radio. The one dipicted is actually slightly out of scale and is too large, i just never got around to redoing it.

And no when i was working out the gear list i didn't include the magazines in the weapons.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Puzikas » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:39 am

Puzikas wrote:fireteams

Oh yeah that's cool one-hour-ago-me but what about all those rifles you drew for dubyabubya two

The Dnieguan WWII era (1939-1950) Infantry platoon was similar to the German or Swedish setup at the time, with some distinctively Soviet elements, especially those of the Type 2 Naval Infantry formation.

Pictures is the typical load of a WWII era Platoon before wars onset in (eventually). The m/36-42 version rifle is pictured because Puz is a lazy shitter who didn't draw the standard stock most m/36 versions were rearsenaled to the m/36-42 version in 1943.

The standard rifle squad had 13 men, with a single Kps m/28 issued to the troops NCO. The AG(v) m/36/42 went to the two senior riflemen, and one to the Platoons commander. A single KsG(v) m/21-31 (magazine to be redrawn when I'm done lecturing today) was given to each squad, and another was tasked to protect the Machine Gun troop.

The Machine Gun troop is a 7 man separate detachment of 2 Gunners, two assistants, the Platoon leader, a Machine Rifleman and a spotter, who also acts as a rifleman.

The rest of the men were supposed to be issued the SpVg (Spraybock Vintrovgævern), which was supposed to be the standard rifle. However, the mass summoning of reserves necessitated the issueing of the much older Vkg (Vintrokalgævern) m/88-06, which was outdated when if was adopted for Cavalry usage. It was thought that it would be faster to load than the SpVg m/91 because of the side loading magazine design; this was not true when Dniegua opted instead to issue magazines and chargers in tandem.
This setup is the same that most of Dnieguan 142nd Kingsguard Infantry Regiment, 3rd Homeguard Division was using when it became the first unit to enter combat in the Second Great Skandar war.

By wars end the SpVg m/91-28 would be the standard marksman rifle, while the AGv m/36 and -42 would become the standard issue Infantry rifle. More Submachinegun and Machine Rifles would proliferate, but the general Platoon would remain 46 men strong generally across the board.
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:56 am

Having newer handled a rifle or stripper clips what I ask now is that those of you who have and have experience with them answer the following from a subjective experience standpoint. How awkward do you personally feel it would be to reload a rifle with a side mounted magazine using a stripper clip?
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:59 am

You mean like the Johnson rifle?

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:00 am

Purpelia wrote:Having newer handled a rifle or stripper clips what I ask now is that those of you who have and have experience with them answer the following from a subjective experience standpoint. How awkward do you personally feel it would be to reload a rifle with a side mounted magazine using a stripper clip?

Highly.
Depending on the system.
Last edited by Puzikas on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goodbye.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:02 am

Laritaia wrote:You mean like the Johnson rifle?

I mean like take a generic WW1 or WW2 rifle and flip the mechanism 90 degrees to one side. So you get a regular rifle except that the magazine sticks out like on a FG-42.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Postby Puzikas » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:06 am

Yeah probably pretty annoying if you're charging them and not using an EnBloc.

Goodbye.

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:09 am

Purpelia wrote:
Laritaia wrote:You mean like the Johnson rifle?

I mean like take a generic WW1 or WW2 rifle and flip the mechanism 90 degrees to one side. So you get a regular rifle except that the magazine sticks out like on a FG-42.

what possible reason would you have to do such a thing?

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:11 am

Laritaia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:I mean like take a generic WW1 or WW2 rifle and flip the mechanism 90 degrees to one side. So you get a regular rifle except that the magazine sticks out like on a FG-42.

what possible reason would you have to do such a thing?

Just a thought experiment. For now at least. Basically I always had a fascination with funky ultra early designs like that Japanese LMG that fed from a box of rifle stripper clips. And this sort of thing fits that mindset too.

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:18 am

The wierdness of early MG designs are only really wierd in hindsight, at the time there was no established proper way of designing an MG feed mechanism and they all made some sort of logical sense once you consider the limitations and reqauirements of the time.

There is no logical reason to tilt a rifle action 90 degrees and have the magazine stick out of the side, not when there are so many already established methods of building a repeating rifle.
Last edited by Laritaia on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:22 am

Laritaia wrote:The wierdness of early MG designs are only really wierd in hindsight, at the time there was no established proper way of designing an MG feed mechanism and they all made some sort of logical sense once you consider the limitations and reqauirements of the time.

Yea, I know. That's what makes it so cool for me. I love firearms from transitional periods when a new technology or concept comes into being but nobody is sure what to do with it so they try all sorts of ideas just throwing everything at the proverbial wall to see what sticks. Once things get established they get boring.

There is no logical reason to tilt a rifle action 90 degrees and have the magazine stick out of the side, not when there are so many already established methods of building a repeating rifle.

Theoretically one reason could be because a traditional bolt action with a top feed would have issues with a scope mount. That's why the Swiss did their K31 sniper conversions with a canted mechanism. Another would be the idea that the rifle is designed originally as a single shot side feeder that gets converted to magazine use. Or maybe the army doctrine is that it has a magazine but troops are supposed to single feed it unless ordered to WW1 style. Etc. etc.
Last edited by Purpelia on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:24 am

I haven't spammed anything in a while

Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:27 am

Purpelia wrote:Theoretically one reason could be because a traditional bolt action with a top feed would have issues with a scope mount. That's why the Swiss did their K31 sniper conversions with a canted mechanism. Another would be the idea that the rifle is designed originally as a single shot side feeder that gets converted to magazine use. Or maybe the army doctrine is that it has a magazine but troops are supposed to single feed it unless ordered to WW1 style. Etc. etc.

The K31 sniper was canted only as much as was required to clear the scope and magazine cut offs already existed on rifles not set up as wierdly as possible.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:29 am

Laritaia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Theoretically one reason could be because a traditional bolt action with a top feed would have issues with a scope mount. That's why the Swiss did their K31 sniper conversions with a canted mechanism. Another would be the idea that the rifle is designed originally as a single shot side feeder that gets converted to magazine use. Or maybe the army doctrine is that it has a magazine but troops are supposed to single feed it unless ordered to WW1 style. Etc. etc.

The K31 sniper was canted only as much as was required to clear the scope and magazine cut offs already existed on rifles not set up as wierdly as possible.

Yea, I know. But like it's the age of trying random things like that so it fits someone would have tried it.

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:34 am

Purpelia wrote:Yea, I know. But like it's the age of trying random things like that so it fits someone would have tried it.

No they didn't do just random things, they had problems and they came up with what seemed like workable solutions. Tilting a regular magazine fed rifle action on it's side doesn't really solve any problems.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:36 am

Laritaia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Yea, I know. But like it's the age of trying random things like that so it fits someone would have tried it.

No they didn't do just random things, they had problems and they came up with what seemed like workable solutions. Tilting a regular magazine fed rifle action on it's side doesn't really solve any problems.

It gives you a rifle that's easy to reload from the side if you load it bullet by bullet and that has a smooth roof for a scope mount. For the record this was a purely hypothetical thing. I newer really figured I would even try and make let alone justify an actual design. But this conversation with you is inspiring me to try. The most likely IC story so far I have for it is that it would be a design for the 1889 rifle trials for my army that did not make it.
Last edited by Purpelia on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Laritaia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:40 am

Purpelia wrote:It gives you a rifle that's easy to reload from the side if you load it bullet by bullet and that has a smooth roof for a scope mount. For the record this was a purely hypothetical thing. I newer really figured I would even try and make let alone justify an actual design. But this conversation with you is inspiring me to try.

If you're reloading using striper clips it's actually going to be harder to reload unless you tilt the rifle on it's side.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:46 am

Laritaia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:It gives you a rifle that's easy to reload from the side if you load it bullet by bullet and that has a smooth roof for a scope mount. For the record this was a purely hypothetical thing. I newer really figured I would even try and make let alone justify an actual design. But this conversation with you is inspiring me to try.

If you're reloading using striper clips it's actually going to be harder to reload unless you tilt the rifle on it's side.

Yea, I imagine that if this thing is ever designed the concept of a stripper clip would be something the designers are told they need to implement at a point where the design is pretty much done. So it needs to be jury rigged in the last night before shipping.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:53 am

Fordorsia wrote:I haven't spammed anything in a while

(Image)

That grip angle is only going to work if you add the other half of a "chainsaw grip" ie the foward handle.

Nope I'll stick to my back and decker alligator for light branch work thank you very much.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:59 am

Crookfur wrote:

(Image)

That grip angle is only going to work if you add the other half of a "chainsaw grip" ie the foward handle.

Nope I'll stick to my back and decker alligator for light branch work thank you very much.

That's the same angle as every sword and knife ever. I don't see how the angle makes it imposible.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:05 am

For a time when pinfires were a thing. Would a pinfire rifle using a round where the pin is in the center of the rear of the cartridge as opposed to sticking out the side make sense?

Ardavia
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardavia » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:07 am

Fordorsia wrote:
Crookfur wrote:That grip angle is only going to work if you add the other half of a "chainsaw grip" ie the foward handle.

That's the same angle as every sword and knife ever. I don't see how the angle makes it imposible.

chainsaws =/= swords or knives

i personally wouldn't want to try working anything with a chainsaw with only that handle, but fordorsian ppl aren't me so eh
Last edited by Ardavia on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
professional contrarian
for: whatever you are against
against: whatever you are for

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:07 am

Fordorsia wrote:
Crookfur wrote:That grip angle is only going to work if you add the other half of a "chainsaw grip" ie the foward handle.

Probably because the blade is much thicker than any existing sword or knife IRL of the same length. Also has the fun problem of the blade moving which will cause it to be less controllable, and probably heavier.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:16 am

(Image)

I'll take ten thousand.
this guy is a fucking furry and a therian
Btw, here's my IC flag

"Purp go to bed." - Nirvash Type TheEnd

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:16 am

Fordorsia wrote:

Yeah and all those swords have big ass engines right in front of the gaurd and most of that weight being infront of the hand.
If you are going to chain sword you really need to 40k up and have a straight handle mounted more centrally.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information