NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 9: Parabellum [NO KAIJU]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

No step on snek

Reeeeeeeeeee
8%
Oh fug :D DDDDD
4%
10mm best mm
9%
Ford should stop posting swords
30%
Puz is eternal leader of IDT
32%
Kyiv is not actually a tank but instead is a man trapped inside a tanks body
9%
Other assorted memes
8%

Total votes : 53

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:14 pm

Kassaran wrote:Someone done goofed up the quotes in your first post Crook, prolly you...

Sorted

edit:

toppage pron:

Last edited by Crookfur on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:17 pm

Fordorsia wrote:Crook is always to blame cause he can't English

Nope i'm to blame because i'm married.

When you get married you quickly have to get used to the fact that it is always your fault.
The Kingdom of Crookfur

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:28 pm

Crookfur wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:
Possibly, but hitting the side of a T-34, it's only the upper hull and the lower hull behind the wheels that would be a hard target. It would go straight through the lower sides and even anywhere on the turret withing 400m. For early WWII I think it would be adequate with the standard ammo. Then if this HVAP one I would like is even better than 50mm at 100m, then great.

I would be guessing APCR would give you 70-80mm at 100m. based on a very rough comparisson of figures from variosu guns that used both AP/APHE and APCR over time, the switch to APCR tended to bring anyhtign from a 30-100% improvement so i would split the difference at a 40-60% improvement if the AP was already pretty good.

The numbers also sound right comapred to what i could find on the APDS for RARDEN which gets 63mm at a 1000m so is proabably pulling 80mm or so at 100m.

Of coruse you still want a antitnak boing system as they are a far more versatile tool and altogether much smaller and more portable. You probably don't want to be carting a 30mm wheeled gun when you go up the jungle to hunt japanese supply boats with a bunch of insane gurkas.

Antitank boing system has zero range though, so just for that reason I think the rifle would be more versatile. Plus the rifle would be more accurate and would penetrate more consistantly. Also the antitank boing system was unreliable and innacurate, but even if you hit there was still a good chance it wouldn't even detonate.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:39 pm

In early war terms, the German 37mm or QF-2pdrs are probably the model antitank guns. Both have a small projective which can be fired at high velocity; the Littlejohn adapter for the 2pdr probably made it one of the best small antitank guns(and I say small to exclude things like the Russian 76mm or the 88). The problem is that you can't cram any significant amount of HE into those rounds - the 37mm HE rounds had about 25 grams of filler, practically nothing. So using small-caliber antitank guns well fits the early-war zeitgeist, but it will be shit-tier very quickly if a war breaks out.

Also note: The Russian 45mm was an excellent dual-purpose lightweight gun and tanks that mounted it dominated engagements in the Spanish Civil War, so it's not like they had no idea. They just had no time and not enough experience to develop better tanks before war on the continent broke out.
militant radical centrist in the sheets, neoclassical realist in the streets.
Saving this here so I can peruse it at my leisure.
In IC the Federated Kingdom of Prussia, 1950s-2000s timeline. Prussia backs a third-world Balkans puppet state called Sal Kataria.

The United Equstrian Front
Minister

Founded: Mar 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The United Equstrian Front » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:49 pm

Now just include pants and a backpack of the same color and you have the uniform.
(Yes that is the confederate uniform I just like how it looks I don't support the ideals.)
Ignore the dude he's unimportant look at the musket, yes it's magical I hope that doesn't hurt the opinion.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:54 pm

You'd probably have to consider the length of my shell too. It's 322mm long, which is much longer than however long this is. Dat superior powder load.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The United Equstrian Front » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:01 pm

Fordorsia wrote:You'd probably have to consider the length of my shell too. It's 322mm long, which is much longer than however long this is. Dat superior powder load.

You talking to me?

Sevvania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sevvania » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:13 pm

The United Equstrian Front wrote:(Yes that is the confederate uniform I just like how it looks I don't support the ideals.)

Sevvania uses a similar uniform, albeit in a desert color, up until 1900.
Last edited by Sevvania on Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humble thyself and hold thy tongue."

Current Era: 1945
NationStates Stat Card - Sevvania
OFFICIAL FACTBOOK - Sevvania
4/1/13 - Never Forget

Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The United Equstrian Front » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Sevvania wrote:
The United Equstrian Front wrote:(Yes that is the confederate uniform I just like how it looks I don't support the ideals.)

Sevvania uses a similar uniform, albeit in a desert color, up until 1900.

Well I tried to find something winter friendly that's not full on white.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:24 pm

While armor penetration is significantly more complex than just shot speed, having a large or small powder load does make a difference. The 17pdr had a lolhueg nine pounds of propellant compared to the 75mm M3's two pounds. Combine that with a significantly longer barrel, and it translates to a much, much faster projectile. And doubling mass of a projectile will double kinetic energy, but doubling speed quadruples the kinetic energy. The problem is that guns like the 17pdr tend to kick up large dustballs and have very noticeable blasts, but that's kinda hard to get around with tank guns.

Also, ford, give a caliber for your gun so we can call it something. L/1000 or whatever.
In IC the Federated Kingdom of Prussia, 1950s-2000s timeline. Prussia backs a third-world Balkans puppet state called Sal Kataria.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:26 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Crookfur wrote:I would be guessing APCR would give you 70-80mm at 100m. based on a very rough comparisson of figures from variosu guns that used both AP/APHE and APCR over time, the switch to APCR tended to bring anyhtign from a 30-100% improvement so i would split the difference at a 40-60% improvement if the AP was already pretty good.

The numbers also sound right comapred to what i could find on the APDS for RARDEN which gets 63mm at a 1000m so is proabably pulling 80mm or so at 100m.

Of coruse you still want a antitnak boing system as they are a far more versatile tool and altogether much smaller and more portable. You probably don't want to be carting a 30mm wheeled gun when you go up the jungle to hunt japanese supply boats with a bunch of insane gurkas.

Antitank boing system has zero range though, so just for that reason I think the rifle would be more versatile. Plus the rifle would be more accurate and would penetrate more consistantly. Also the antitank boing system was unreliable and innacurate, but even if you hit there was still a good chance it wouldn't even detonate.

Most of the fuzzing issues are fixable and the range isn't an issue as you can get a infantry projector much much closer than you could ever get an AT gun.

In the end you will need some to throw explosives and if you aren't cool enough for a PIAT style system then you will have to look at a bazooka or tank fist.

Or you welch out completely and try to fire big ass HEAT projectiles off you gun's muzzle but that is even more German than tank fists.
The Kingdom of Crookfur

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:27 pm

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:While armor penetration is significantly more complex than just shot speed, having a large or small powder load does make a difference. The 17pdr had a lolhueg nine pounds of propellant compared to the 75mm M3's two pounds. Combine that with a significantly longer barrel, and it translates to a much, much faster projectile. And doubling mass of a projectile will double kinetic energy, but doubling speed quadruples the kinetic energy. The problem is that guns like the 17pdr tend to kick up large dustballs and have very noticeable blasts, but that's kinda hard to get around with tank guns.

Also, ford, give a caliber for your gun so we can call it something. L/1000 or whatever.

IIRC it's 30mm
The Kingdom of Crookfur

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:31 pm

Crookfur wrote:
Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:While armor penetration is significantly more complex than just shot speed, having a large or small powder load does make a difference. The 17pdr had a lolhueg nine pounds of propellant compared to the 75mm M3's two pounds. Combine that with a significantly longer barrel, and it translates to a much, much faster projectile. And doubling mass of a projectile will double kinetic energy, but doubling speed quadruples the kinetic energy. The problem is that guns like the 17pdr tend to kick up large dustballs and have very noticeable blasts, but that's kinda hard to get around with tank guns.

IIRC it's 30mm

Yes but what's the barrel length? Caliber is determined by dividing the bore of the barrel by length of the barrel, all in millimeters. So 30 divided by....

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:33 pm

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:
Crookfur wrote:IIRC it's 30mm

Yes but what's the barrel length? Caliber is determined by dividing the bore of the barrel by length of the barrel, all in millimeters. So 30 divided by....

No, caliber is the measure of the bore diameter. What you are talking is barrel length expressed in barrel calibers as a unit.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:37 pm

The United Equstrian Front wrote:(Image)
Now just include pants and a backpack of the same color and you have the uniform.
(Yes that is the confederate uniform I just like how it looks I don't support the ideals.)
(Image)
Ignore the dude he's unimportant look at the musket, yes it's magical I hope that doesn't hurt the opinion.

Muskets are wonderful and awesome, there is no need to sully them with anything as dubious as... magic.

On another matter and to the thread as a whole: How long do you think I could keep lowland plaids (basically think great plaid/belted plaid but simply worn as a wet/cold weather cover over normal/English period garb and generally plain rather than tartan) around in service and at which point does it become a poncho/rain cape?
The Kingdom of Crookfur

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:38 pm

Just make it a kilt that doubles as a scarf. Nothing wrong with that.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:39 pm

Excluding the muzzle brake and the short part of the chamber that the bullet travels through, the barrel itself is 200.375cm.

Crookfur wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

Most of the fuzzing issues are fixable and the range isn't an issue as you can get a infantry projector much much closer than you could ever get an AT gun.

In the end you will need some to throw explosives and if you aren't cool enough for a PIAT style system then you will have to look at a bazooka or tank fist.

Or you welch out completely and try to fire big ass HEAT projectiles off you gun's muzzle but that is even more German than tank fists.

Couldn't I just have some idiot carrying a large explosive charge and throw it at the tank? Knowing the terribleness of tank visibility they probably wouldn't even know what hit them.
Last edited by Fordorsia on Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:40 pm

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:
Crookfur wrote:IIRC it's 30mm

What purp said and it's the length of the bore by its diameter. It can also be done in any unit as long as the length and diameter are in the same unit.

Ford did mention 2m but I don't know if that's overall or just the barrel.
The Kingdom of Crookfur

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Fordorsia wrote:

Excluding the muzzle brake and the short part of the chamber that the bullet travels through, the barrel itself is 200.375cm.

Crookfur wrote:Most of the fuzzing issues are fixable and the range isn't an issue as you can get a infantry projector much much closer than you could ever get an AT gun.

Couldn't I just have some idiot carrying a large explosive charge and throw it at the tank? Knowing the terribleness of tank visibility they probably wouldn't even know what hit them.

How exceptionally Japanese... or Churchill's last ditch army type stuff.
The Kingdom of Crookfur

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:42 pm

I really don't see what this thing brings to the table that my proposed 20x142mm machine gun doesn't.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:47 pm

Crookfur wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

How exceptionally Japanese... or Churchill's last ditch army type stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ0emX5RgZQ

Crookfur wrote:
Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:Yes but what's the barrel length? Caliber is determined by dividing the bore of the barrel by length of the barrel, all in millimeters. So 30 divided by....

What purp said and it's the length of the bore by its diameter. It can also be done in any unit as long as the length and diameter are in the same unit.

Ford did mention 2m but I don't know if that's overall or just the barrel.

Just the barrel. Overall the gun is 2.72m, and with the carriage it's 3.9m. It seems really huge after I measured it out with a tape measure, but scaling it down next to a person it's not too big, but it certainly is big for a 30mm.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:49 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:Yes but what's the barrel length? Caliber is determined by dividing the bore of the barrel by length of the barrel, all in millimeters. So 30 divided by....

No, caliber is the measure of the bore diameter. What you are talking is barrel length expressed in barrel calibers as a unit.

Fine. Whatever. Shut up. I know more than you.

Ford's gun is the 30mm L/66.
Fordorsia wrote:Couldn't I just have some idiot carrying a large explosive charge and throw it at the tank? Knowing the terribleness of tank visibility they probably wouldn't even know what hit them.

If your tankers run buttoned up all the time and the infantry know enough to spread out around the tanks, then sure, that would work. Proper training means that this probably won't work very well, however.

I remember some story in the Pacific war of a Japanese suicide bomber throwing himself under a Sherman that was advancing while carrying a satchel charge. The driver, having known the Japanese are prone to do this in the absence of better antitank weapons, was prepared and threw the tank into reverse. The tank was fine.

You'd have better luck attaching an antitank grenade to a pole, and ambushing tanks by shoving the pole into the running gear. You're still very likely to kill yourself doing that, but it's apples and high explosive oranges really.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:53 pm

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:Ford's gun is the 30mm L/66.

but but M35 Heavy Rifle

Husseinarti
Senator

Founded: Mar 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Husseinarti » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:55 pm

Articles of Confederation were p bad
Bash the fash, neopup the neo-cons, crotale the commies, and super entendard socialists

EsToVnIa
Senator

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:05 pm

san's comment made me die a little on the inside

americans not even knowing their own history rip
Most Heavenly State/Khamgiin Tengerleg Uls

Weeaboo Gassing Land wrote:Also, rev up the gas chambers.

The United States of North Amerigo wrote:CUNT

12:02:02 AM <Tarsas> premislyd is my spirit animal tbh

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information