NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread 9: Parabellum [NO KAIJU]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

No step on snek

Reeeeeeeeeee
8%
Oh fug :D DDDDD
4%
10mm best mm
9%
Ford should stop posting swords
30%
Puz is eternal leader of IDT
32%
Kyiv is not actually a tank but instead is a man trapped inside a tanks body
9%
Other assorted memes
8%

Total votes : 53

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:03 am

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:Classical cataphracts never fought dismounted unless they'd been unhorsed

In which case they would be dead :>
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Eisarn-Ara
Minister

Founded: Oct 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eisarn-Ara » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:13 am

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:Classical cataphracts never fought dismounted unless they'd been unhorsed; they were shock cavalry.

Okay? That's irrelevant when mr. thunderstick comes to be and the need to not get shot off your damn horse makes it practical to dismount, and shoot the other guy with your own thunderstick from behind cover.
Last edited by Eisarn-Ara on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ave Nex Alea
Glory & Victory unto the Pact!
I'm pro thrall-taking, are you?
Immigrants're grody; Paris, Berlin & Brussels proved that.
Serbia, Hungary, Austria & Finland have the right idea, preserve European Cultural Integrity!
Dictating matters of policy & legality because of "feelings" is foolhardy at best, and the reason why SJWism is cancerous at worst.
Altruism is worthless outside of a community and in small doses.
We owe you nothing, and you'll like it.
Arabs cannot do "Modern War"
You are all terrible.

Blacksmith/Metallurgist btw(Mostly Blades) & Academic Reconstructionist Heathen of the Continental Variety, Legitimate Sneering Western Imperialist, Western Classicalist

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:17 am

Yeah because the introduction of guns made heavy cavalry go away...

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:21 am

Fordorsia wrote:Yeah because the introduction of guns made heavy cavalry go away...

Yes, yes it did. The last cavalry charge of old was von Bredow's death ride. There is a reason it is called a "death ride". It was not because many of them survived. 50% casualties, the force was rendered combat ineffective afterwards. Those armies that did not learn the lessons of his death ride in 1870, found out that in 1914 the bolt action rifle and the Maxim gun make cavalry charges of old foolish.

Only the British kept any kind of mobile cavalry but even they knew that cavalry was dead and used them instead as a force of mounted rapid movement infantry.
Last edited by The East Marches on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conserative Morality wrote:Move to a real state bud instead of a third-world country that inexplicably votes in American elections.

Novus America wrote:But yes, I would say the mere existence of Illinois proves this is hell. Chicago the 9th circle.

Eisarn-Ara
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eisarn-Ara » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:23 am

The East Marches wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:Yeah because the introduction of guns made heavy cavalry go away...

Yes, yes it did. The last cavalry charge of old was von Bredow's death ride. There is a reason it is called a "death ride". It was not because many of them survived. 50% casualties, the force was rendered combat ineffective afterwards. Those armies that did not learn the lessons of his death ride in 1870, found out that in 1914 the bolt action rifle and the Maxim gun make cavalry charges of old foolish.

Only the British kept any kind of mobile cavalry but even they knew that cavalry was dead and used them instead as a force of mounted rapid movement infantry.

And dragoons don't do cavalry charges (usually, not without dying horribly as you've so eloquently described), dismounting somewhere else is usually the right way to go about things.
Last edited by Eisarn-Ara on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ave Nex Alea
Serbia, Hungary, Austria & Finland have the right idea, preserve European Cultural Integrity!
Dictating matters of policy & legality because of "feelings" is foolhardy at best, and the reason why SJWism is cancerous at worst.
You are all terrible.

Blacksmith/Metallurgist btw(Mostly Blades) & Academic Reconstructionist Heathen of the Continental Variety, Legitimate Sneering Western Imperialist, Western Classicalist

To Quoc Duc
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby To Quoc Duc » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:24 am

The East Marches wrote:

This is correct, they really functioned more as dragoons than traditional European cavalry.
The Republic of Tổ Quốc Đức

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:I prefer To Quoc Duc to willful ignorance any day!

To Quoc Duc
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby To Quoc Duc » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:29 am

Eisarn-Ara wrote:
The East Marches wrote:

And dragoons don't do cavalry charges (usually, not without dying horribly as you've so eloquently described), dismounting somewhere else is usually the right way to go about things.

Depends on the era, honestly. 17th Century, you're correct. 19th-20th century, you're correct. 18th century however, for a brief period of time, dragoons actually became synonymous with standard medium (regular) cavalry and functioned as such. So yes, and no - they did have dismount capability for most of their history, but would actually conduct mass charges and not necessarily get slaughtered, for that one century.

I know this seemingly contradicts what I literally just posted above, but I was only saying it because I find this stuff interesting and thought it was worth throwing out just for the fun of it. :)
The Republic of Tổ Quốc Đức

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:I prefer To Quoc Duc to willful ignorance any day!

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:29 am

Eisarn-Ara wrote:
Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:Classical cataphracts never fought dismounted unless they'd been unhorsed; they were shock cavalry.

Okay? That's irrelevant when mr. thunderstick comes to be and the need to not get shot off your damn horse makes it practical to dismount, and shoot the other guy with your own thunderstick from behind cover.

Well, I don't know your nation's history with guns and shit.

Anyway, why have all that cataphract armor if you have guns? The cataphract is a very specific type of shock cavalry, and one that impressed everyone who either used it or fought against it, but as was said guns made heavy cavalry go away. Cavalry would still exist for a while, but the emphasis on armor would never again be a thing with horse combat.
militant radical centrist in the sheets, neoclassical realist in the streets.
Saving this here so I can peruse it at my leisure.
In IC the Federated Kingdom of Prussia, 1950s-2000s timeline. Prussia backs a third-world Balkans puppet state called Sal Kataria.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:41 am

The East Marches wrote:

TIL guns were invented in 1870

Eisarn-Ara
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Eisarn-Ara » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:43 am

To Quoc Duc wrote:
I know this seemingly contradicts what I literally just posted above, but I was only saying it because I find this stuff interesting and thought it was worth throwing out just for the fun of it. :)

In a sense, the 18th century application of the dragoon was the "Experimental" phase of figuring things out. Like a Co-ed feeling edgy in a bad late 90s sitcom.

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:
Anyway, why have all that cataphract armor if you have guns? The cataphract is a very specific type of shock cavalry, and one that impressed everyone who either used it or fought against it, but as was said guns made heavy cavalry go away. Cavalry would still exist for a while, but the emphasis on armor would never again be a thing with horse combat.

While true, Eisarn-Ara has the great misfortune is dealing with lots of uppity natives and colonial neighbors, so actually seeing mounted riflemen with heavy weapons (for the 19th century, ect) using some form of armor to protect themselves to a degree is not unheard of in the IKE timeline. Most of the countries history with cavalry began with Roman & Byzantine cavalry doctrines of the conventional variety, but close to a millenia of fighting on the steppes and other assorted shitholes changed how they viewed & used them, having at some point in the past (roughly a century or two prior to this theoretical epoch) consolidated alot of their cavalry units for assaulting purposes either into scouting & skirmishing roles or keeping the "Kataphraktoi" name both a way to invoke ancient luck upon the unit and because they were effectively "heavy infantry" in an anecdotal sense due to the armaments available to them.
Ave Nex Alea
You are all terrible.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:45 am

Fordorsia wrote:
The East Marches wrote:

You made a sarcastic remark implying that heavy cavalry never went away. I proved you wrong and provided facts to back up my argument. Unless you care to counter my facts with facts, you are in the wrong. Accept it or come up with something other than snark as a reply.
Conserative Morality wrote:Move to a real state bud instead of a third-world country that inexplicably votes in American elections.

Novus America wrote:But yes, I would say the mere existence of Illinois proves this is hell. Chicago the 9th circle.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:57 am

the historical parallels between something like napoleon or 1870 are so far removed from the modern day you could know nothing about them and be better off, because you wont be making dumb literal parallels/analogies and be able to examine things as they are rather than what they appear to be

what sort of cavalry is a fighter-bomber squadron?

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:06 pm

The East Marches wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

You made a sarcastic remark implying that heavy cavalry never went away. I proved you wrong and provided facts to back up my argument. Unless you care to counter my facts with facts, you are in the wrong. Accept it or come up with something other than snark as a reply.

You want me to refute your claims that guns magically appeared in 1870 and that heavy cavalry disappeared as a result? Are you genuinely on crack?

Amiero
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Amiero » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:13 pm

Allanea wrote:Dragoons fight dismounted.

in Reichskamphen [my backwards nation] dragoons have morphed into elite mechanized infantry.

In some armies they could do both, in the days of horseback cavalry. The men of the U.S. Army Cavalry could function as light cavalry, or dismount and fight on foot.
“The heaviest penalty for refusing to be involved in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.”

- Plato, The Republic

I play this nation across multiple tech levels and with multiple species. I am very willing to adjust on a case-by-case basis for each RP, unless you just pull me into something without having checked with me beforehand, in which case I will blast you with any madness that strikes my fancy.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:13 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
The East Marches wrote:

You want me to refute your claims that guns magically appeared in 1870 and that heavy cavalry disappeared as a result? Are you genuinely on crack?

You are the one who made the claim, not me. Don't try to turn this. Either answer properly or admit defeat. There are no alternatives. You can't snark or sarcasm your way out of having been proven wrong.

EsToVnIa
Senator

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:14 pm

Gallia- wrote:the historical parallels between something like napoleon or 1870 are so far removed from the modern day you could know nothing about them and be better off, because you wont be making dumb literal parallels/analogies and be able to examine things as they are rather than what they appear to be

cavalry doesn't fly
Most Heavenly State/Khamgiin Tengerleg Uls

Weeaboo Gassing Land wrote:Also, rev up the gas chambers.

The United States of North Amerigo wrote:CUNT

12:02:02 AM <Tarsas> premislyd is my spirit animal tbh

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:17 pm

The East Marches wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

You are the one who made the claim, not me. Don't try to turn this. Either answer properly or admit defeat. There are no alternatives. You can't snark or sarcasm your way out of having been proven wrong.

The East Marches wrote:The last cavalry charge of old was von Bredow's death ride.

The East Marches wrote:You made a sarcastic remark implying that heavy cavalry never went away. I proved you wrong and provided facts to back up my argument.

You got me, I totally claimed these things, these things I was saying are completely retarded. Take me away officer.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:17 pm

Estovnia wrote:
Gallia- wrote:the historical parallels between something like napoleon or 1870 are so far removed from the modern day you could know nothing about them and be better off, because you wont be making dumb literal parallels/analogies and be able to examine things as they are rather than what they appear to be

cavalry doesn't fly

the cavalry will rise again

to take its place as america's sole land force combat arm
Last edited by Gallia- on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:21 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
The East Marches wrote:

The East Marches wrote:The last cavalry charge of old was von Bredow's death ride.

The East Marches wrote:You made a sarcastic remark implying that heavy cavalry never went away. I proved you wrong and provided facts to back up my argument.

You got me, I totally claimed these things, these things I was saying are completely retarded. Take me away officer.

Again with the snark to disguise your weakness. I have proven my point, you have not. Either answer properly or admit defeat. Its not hard to act like a man.

Militia of the Free
Attaché

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Militia of the Free » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:21 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Estovnia wrote:
cavalry doesn't fly

I never understood how cavalry became airmobile infantry.

Then again cavalry in the Dutch army = tanks.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:24 pm

The East Marches wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

Again with the snark to disguise your weakness. I have proven my point, you have not. Either answer properly or admit defeat.

Guns weren't invented in 1870 and heavy cavalry didn't disappear as a result. There you go.

Its not hard to act like a man.

I'm a girl so it kind of is

Militia of the Free wrote:
Gallia- wrote:
(Image)

I never understood how cavalry became airmobile infantry.

Then again cavalry in the Dutch army = tanks.

Early "fast" tanks were designed to break through the enemy lines and hit them from the rear. Helicopter infantry did the same except they simply flew over the enemy and could go some place really fast. They do what cavalry did.
Last edited by Fordorsia on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The East Marches
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The East Marches » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:26 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Guns weren't invented in 1870 and heavy cavalry didn't disappear as a result. There you go.

That is altering your original claim. So you admit defeat?

Fordorsia wrote:
I'm a girl so it kind of is

That explains your conduct.

Amiero
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Amiero » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:28 pm

The East Marches wrote:That explains your conduct.

I'm not the sort to whine to the Mod Squad, but that's pretty blatant. You had best be more careful.

The East Marches wrote:I have proven my point, you have not. Either answer properly or admit defeat. Its not hard to act like a man.

Heavy cavalry was a thing into the 1900s. At the start of the First World War, the British, French, Austrian, German, and Russian armies, and likely others, still had multiple regiments of heavy horse, which they sent into combat as before. They got chewed to pieces, but they were present.
Last edited by Amiero on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The heaviest penalty for refusing to be involved in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.”

- Plato, The Republic

I play this nation across multiple tech levels and with multiple species. I am very willing to adjust on a case-by-case basis for each RP, unless you just pull me into something without having checked with me beforehand, in which case I will blast you with any madness that strikes my fancy.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:28 pm

Can someone take over? I'm not qualified to care for the mentally impaired.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information