NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO FUN] Mark IX

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:09 pm

So um.

What does the Leopard 2's driver do if there's an onboard fire - say the tank is shot - and he needs to get our RFN?
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

United Daene Peoples
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 25, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby United Daene Peoples » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:14 pm

I think I like the idea of a fairly provicial army with mostly light tanks sort of like the German LK I that would be used to deal with internal rioting and some amount of island border defense through the late 1910's till the early 1940's.
I sexually identify as a self-propelled artillery. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of rolling over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person becoming a 240mm gun on traks is impossible and I'm fucking retarded but I don't care, I'm beautiful. I'm a having a mechanic install deplated uranium plans, 30mm coaxial machine guns, and a 240mm gun on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me "Tyulpan" and respect my right to kill from far away and kill on command. If you can't accept me you are a tankphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:16 pm

Allanea wrote:So um.

What does the Leopard 2's driver do if there's an onboard fire - say the tank is shot - and he needs to get our RFN?

The hatch is in no way blocked when the turret is turned like 45 degrees. If it's backwards or the cutout in the front isn't lined up, I guess you sit tight. Modern MBTs seem to favour the idea of staying and not having to get out of the tank when the ammo blows up or is on fire, because fireproofness and stuff.
Last edited by Fordorsia on Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:50 pm

Allanea wrote:So um.

Believe it or not, the driver is less screwed then the gunner.

Any position where the turret blocks the driver's hatch, the driver can go out the turret.
And he still has a hatch in the floor which he can get out of.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:37 pm

Armoured Brigade - (MBTs and IFVs)
Mechanised Brigade - (Tank Destroyers and APCs)

Thoughts?
Greater Ardokian Empire | It is Ardoki's destiny to rule the whole world!
Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic

Head of State: Grand Emperor Alistair Killian Moriarty
Head of Government: Grand Imperial Chancellor Kennedy Rowan Coleman
Legislature: Imperial Senate
Ruling Party: Imperial Progressive Party
Technology Level: MT (Primary) | PMT, FanT (Secondary)
Politics: Social Democrat
Religion: None
Personality Type: ENTP 3w4

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:41 pm

Ardoki wrote:Armoured Brigade - (MBTs and IFVs)

Thoughts?

The mechanized brigade should still have IFVs.

And honestly, the most effective tank destroyer is another tank, so the question remains: what is the purpose of the mechanized brigade?
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:46 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Ardoki wrote:Armoured Brigade - (MBTs and IFVs)

Thoughts?

The mechanized brigade should still have IFVs.

And honestly, the most effective tank destroyer is another tank, so the question remains: what is the purpose of the mechanized brigade?

There would be less tank destroyers in the mechanised brigade than there would be tanks in an armoured brigade. The tank destroyers were to supplement the APCs in case of danger. The armoured brigades would be for breakthroughs, so would be more powerful.

But would you suggest relying on IFVs? How much more expensive are they when compared to APCs generally?
Greater Ardokian Empire | It is Ardoki's destiny to rule the whole world!
Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic

Head of State: Grand Emperor Alistair Killian Moriarty
Head of Government: Grand Imperial Chancellor Kennedy Rowan Coleman
Legislature: Imperial Senate
Ruling Party: Imperial Progressive Party
Technology Level: MT (Primary) | PMT, FanT (Secondary)
Politics: Social Democrat
Religion: None
Personality Type: ENTP 3w4

Summercrest Isles
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Summercrest Isles » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:12 am

For my military's main armour I want to use something like the Sheridan. I know the Sheridan was.....less than successful, but I love the 152mm gun-launcher and the shillyshally missile or whatever the hell the pronunciation is. How stupid of an idea is it to use the Sheridan as inspiration? I love the idea of a light mobile tank with a big stupid gun-launcher. Would a Sheridan type vehicle even be any use in this decade?

Democratic Koyro
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 13, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Democratic Koyro » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:47 am

Summercrest Isles wrote:For my military's main armour I want to use something like the Sheridan. I know the Sheridan was.....less than successful, but I love the 152mm gun-launcher and the shillyshally missile or whatever the hell the pronunciation is. How stupid of an idea is it to use the Sheridan as inspiration? I love the idea of a light mobile tank with a big stupid gun-launcher. Would a Sheridan type vehicle even be any use in this decade?

You don't need a stupidly big gun launcher when you can fit tank cannons that can fire ATGM's onto lightweight air-mobile (or even para capable, in the case of the 2S25) platforms.
THERMOBARIC THERMITE

Summercrest Isles
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Summercrest Isles » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:00 am

Democratic Koyro wrote:
Summercrest Isles wrote:For my military's main armour I want to use something like the Sheridan. I know the Sheridan was.....less than successful, but I love the 152mm gun-launcher and the shillyshally missile or whatever the hell the pronunciation is. How stupid of an idea is it to use the Sheridan as inspiration? I love the idea of a light mobile tank with a big stupid gun-launcher. Would a Sheridan type vehicle even be any use in this decade?

You don't need a stupidly big gun launcher when you can fit tank cannons that can fire ATGM's onto lightweight air-mobile (or even para capable, in the case of the 2S25) platforms.

But muh 152mm gun launcher :( how else am I supposed to blast bunkers away? Little baby 120 and 125mm guns won't cut it dangit! But in all seriousness, would an actually reliable well made version of the 152mm gun launcher have any advantage over a 120mm/125mm smoothbore cannon?

Summercrest Isles
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Summercrest Isles » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:03 am

Gallia- wrote:M81 wasn't unreliable or poorly made, so probably.

I thought the Sheridan and Starship had a shitload of issues with it, or was it just with the Shillelelalalalalalalaleeahgh and not the HEAT and HE rounds?

New Korongo
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Korongo » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:06 am

Summercrest Isles wrote:But muh 152mm gun launcher :( how else am I supposed to blast bunkers away? Little baby 120 and 125mm guns won't cut it dangit! But in all seriousness, would an actually reliable well made version of the 152mm gun launcher have any advantage over a 120mm/125mm smoothbore cannon?

It would have an advantage in an anti-structure/anti-fortification role because the amount of high-explosive in each round would be higher, but it probably wouldn't offer a meaningful increase over the performance offered by 120 mm and 125 mm guns while also restricting the amount of ammunition the vehicle could carry.

Silver cannon
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Silver cannon » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:09 am

our ground vehicles are clearly advanced our mechs can rip a tank into too we also use tanks butt eh we crush our enemy's and make then join the empire we will crush as long as the battle is on ground because if all fails we bomb the battle field to take out the enemy troops so anyone want to battle us? No I thought so

New Korongo
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Korongo » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:11 am

Silver cannon wrote:our ground vehicles are clearly advanced our mechs can rip a tank into too we also use tanks butt eh we crush our enemy's and make then join the empire we will crush as long as the battle is on ground because if all fails we bomb the battle field to take out the enemy troops so anyone want to battle us? No I thought so

Dropping ordnance from aircraft? What a game changer. Our armed forces are clearly outclassed.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:12 am

Summercrest Isles wrote:
Gallia- wrote:M81 wasn't unreliable or poorly made, so probably.

I thought the Sheridan and Starship had a shitload of issues with it, or was it just with the Shillelelalalalalalalaleeahgh and not the HEAT and HE rounds?

There was nothing technically wrong with it. It was just a dumb gun.

New Korongo wrote:
Summercrest Isles wrote:But muh 152mm gun launcher :( how else am I supposed to blast bunkers away? Little baby 120 and 125mm guns won't cut it dangit! But in all seriousness, would an actually reliable well made version of the 152mm gun launcher have any advantage over a 120mm/125mm smoothbore cannon?

It would have an advantage in an anti-structure/anti-fortification role because the amount of high-explosive in each round would be higher, but it probably wouldn't offer a meaningful increase over the performance offered by 120 mm and 125 mm guns while also restricting the amount of ammunition the vehicle could carry.

Typical 125mm guns throw HE shells twice the weight of anything M81 had, so no this is wrong.

152mm's sole advantage was that it could have larger HEAT cone diameters.

This is not a particularly good advantage, considering the best possible performance from its in terms of kinetic energy (using XM150 or something) would be comparable to an early 80's L7.
Last edited by Gallia- on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silver cannon
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Silver cannon » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:15 am

New Korongo wrote:
Silver cannon wrote:our ground vehicles are clearly advanced our mechs can rip a tank into too we also use tanks butt eh we crush our enemy's and make then join the empire we will crush as long as the battle is on ground because if all fails we bomb the battle field to take out the enemy troops so anyone want to battle us? No I thought so

Dropping ordnance from aircraft? What a game changer. Our armed forces are clearly outclassed.

Well it does clearly blow your troops up so....

Laritaia
Senator

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Laritaia » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:17 am

The flaws with the Sheridan had little to do with the concept of a large bore gun/launcher and more to do with problems all vehicles that mount powerful guns on light weight chassis suffer from.

as to weather it would be viable in the current battlefield enviroment, that depends on what you intend to use it for.

What it was built for. ie providing mobile fire support for paratroop and cavelry units.

Or a role it was never intended for, like going toe to toe against bigger and badder Main Battle Tanks, which will go through a sheriden like a DU Dart through 65mm of aluminium.

Silver cannon
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Silver cannon » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:18 am

just saw no mechs on the board I'll just see my self out...

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:19 am

Laritaia wrote:

The flaws with the Sheridan had little to do with the concept of a large bore gun/launcher and more to do with problems all vehicles that mount powerful guns on light weight chassis suffer from.

as to weather it would be viable in the current battlefield enviroment, that depends on what you intend to use it for.

What it was built for. ie providing mobile fire support for paratroop and cavelry units.

Or a role it was never intended for, like going toe to toe against bigger and badder Main Battle Tanks, which will go through a sheriden like a DU Dart through 65mm of aluminium.

The fire support it provided was pretty lack luster given the gun's anemic capabilities to begin with tbh.

It really was just designed around the missile.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:20 am

Evening.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Summercrest Isles
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Summercrest Isles » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:24 am

Gallia- wrote:It really was just designed around the missile.

How did the Shillelagh perform when it worked properly anyways? I've heard it had basically the same performance as the original TOW, is that true?

Also where can you find out more info about the M81 and its rounds? I've wondered how much penetration the HEAT had, and also how the MBT-70's sabot rounds performed.

The Florence Union
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Florence Union » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:26 am

You could mount a Sheridan turret on the Stryker AFV that would look pretty sick actually, probably isn't really realistic but who caressssssss. Or you could mount it on the CV90120-T, that's more realistic and still retains light tank aspects.
FNN Headlines: Lying Deaf Polemos spreads fake news!..Chancellor Agrees to meet with Generalissimo Polemos...Hunterian Rebellion in Baden-Württemberg...Soviets take Kiev

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:26 am

Summercrest Isles wrote:
Gallia- wrote:It really was just designed around the missile.

How did the Shillelagh perform when it worked properly anyways? I've heard it had basically the same performance as the original TOW, is that true?

Also where can you find out more info about the M81 and its rounds? I've wondered how much penetration the HEAT had, and also how the MBT-70's sabot rounds performed.

It worked fine when it worked and was very accurate, weather permitting. Aside from the wireless issue, it was a decent enough missile. The problem was it was a missile. A sabot is always better than that.

Hunnicutt has some stuff about M81 and its ammunition size etc.

MBT-70's sabot rounds were probably mediocre.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information