NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread, Mk. 8 Mod. 0 [No Kaiju]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sevvania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sevvania » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:34 am

Azurg wrote:I swear I'm the only one who hasn't seen the film

Sev's verdict:

On a vaguely infantry-related note, though: Water-cooled guns in 5.56mm. What possible justification could be made for such a weapon to come into existence in the pre-war Fallout universe?
"Humble thyself and hold thy tongue."

Current Era: 1945
NationStates Stat Card - Sevvania
OFFICIAL FACTBOOK - Sevvania
4/1/13 - Never Forget

Azurg
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Azurg » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:39 am

Sevvania wrote:Sev's verdict:

I lauged both at the picture and that scene in the movie.
On a vaguely infantry-related note, though: Water-cooled guns in 5.56mm. What possible justification could be made for such a weapon to come into existence in the pre-war Fallout universe?

I can't think of any, tbh. It'd make a squidge more sense in a full-power cartridge, but 5,56mm just seems. . .
(v) (•,,,,•) (v)
Hitler was just misunderstood!

I'm a 22 year old living in The Netherlands. I tend to find myself interested in architecture, economics, politics, space exploration, robotics and firearms design

Eisarn-Ara
Minister

Founded: Oct 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eisarn-Ara » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:39 am

Sevvania wrote:On a vaguely infantry-related note, though: Water-cooled guns in 5.56mm. What possible justification could be made for such a weapon to come into existence in the pre-war Fallout universe?

Bethesda cannot "into gun"?

Besides, Obsidian was pretty good with it's guns.

Last edited by Eisarn-Ara on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ave Nex Alea
Glory & Victory unto the Pact!
I'm pro thrall-taking, are you?
Immigrants're grody; Paris, Berlin & Brussels proved that.
Serbia, Hungary, Austria & Finland have the right idea, preserve European Cultural Integrity!
Dictating matters of policy & legality because of "feelings" is foolhardy at best, and the reason why SJWism is cancerous at worst.
Altruism is worthless outside of a community and in small doses.
We owe you nothing, and you'll like it.
Arabs cannot do "Modern War"
You are all terrible.

Blacksmith/Metallurgist btw(Mostly Blades) & Academic Reconstructionist Heathen of the Continental Variety, Legitimate Sneering Western Imperialist, Western Classicalist

New Nirvash
Attaché

Founded: Dec 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Nirvash » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:49 am

Wairstia wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:Just saw a video of Black Man and Bad Guy fighting with lightsabers in star wars. I didn't expect them to cross swords and have a push fight while delivering dialogue but they did anyway. gg M1 Abrams.

It must be borne in mind that they are...
A Storm trooper who has picked up a lightsabre and is waving it around with absolutely no training at all, and the apprentice of the sith lord - who is explicitly shown to be a rather pathetic individual and who has not finished his training.

Maybe the Knights of Ren won't be a complete disappointment.

New Nirvash
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby New Nirvash » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:51 am

Sevvania wrote:On a vaguely infantry-related note, though: Water-cooled guns in 5.56mm. What possible justification could be made for such a weapon to come into existence in the pre-war Fallout universe?

Todd Howard said 'just give me something that looks sufficiently _____punk' and the art team (composed entirely of people who have never even seen a firearm in person) made it happen.

Azurg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Azurg » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:07 pm

tbf though, it's better than the endless procession of AR15 and Kalashnikov derivatives that parade their way across modern videogames
(v) (•,,,,•) (v)

I'm a 22 year old living in The Netherlands. I tend to find myself interested in architecture, economics, politics, space exploration, robotics and firearms design

Sevvania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sevvania » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:10 pm

Azurg wrote:tbf though, it's better than the endless procession of AR15 and Kalashnikov derivatives that parade their way across modern videogames

It's definitely different, but I like trying to come up with in-universe explanations for things that may simply be the result of artistic license.
"Humble thyself and hold thy tongue."

Current Era: 1945
NationStates Stat Card - Sevvania
OFFICIAL FACTBOOK - Sevvania
4/1/13 - Never Forget

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:15 pm

Does ammunition corrode if left out for a while? I keep wondering in Fallout 4 if it's such a good idea to collect 200 year old rounds and feed hundreds of them through my shitty pipe pistol that I never clean.
militant radical centrist in the sheets, neoclassical realist in the streets.
Saving this here so I can peruse it at my leisure.
In IC the Federated Kingdom of Prussia, 1950s-2000s timeline. Prussia backs a third-world Balkans puppet state called Sal Kataria.

New Nirvash
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby New Nirvash » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:15 pm

Azurg wrote:tbf though, it's better than the endless procession of AR15 and Kalashnikov derivatives that parade their way across modern videogames

No it's not.

Eisarn-Ara
Minister

Founded: Oct 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eisarn-Ara » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:17 pm

Sevvania wrote:

It's definitely different, but I like trying to come up with in-universe explanations for things that may simply be the result of artistic license.

Here is one "Example" of a totally theoretical and mostly handwaved in-universe explanation a compatriot of mine & I came up with; it's a Power Armor-issued sustained fire LSW to offer fire-support whilst functioning as a stopgap measure till the mass-issue of laser weapons through-out the army (Marines got/were-getting plasma weapons if I remember correctly from OG-Fallout lore-stuff) was completed. Honestly, I have no idea.

Personally, I prefer Nirv's answer.
Last edited by Eisarn-Ara on Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ave Nex Alea
Glory & Victory unto the Pact!
I'm pro thrall-taking, are you?
Immigrants're grody; Paris, Berlin & Brussels proved that.
Serbia, Hungary, Austria & Finland have the right idea, preserve European Cultural Integrity!
Dictating matters of policy & legality because of "feelings" is foolhardy at best, and the reason why SJWism is cancerous at worst.
Altruism is worthless outside of a community and in small doses.
We owe you nothing, and you'll like it.
Arabs cannot do "Modern War"
You are all terrible.

Blacksmith/Metallurgist btw(Mostly Blades) & Academic Reconstructionist Heathen of the Continental Variety, Legitimate Sneering Western Imperialist, Western Classicalist

Azurg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Azurg » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:26 pm

Sevvania wrote:It's definitely different, but I like trying to come up with in-universe explanations for things that may simply be the result of artistic license.

Fair enough

New Nirvash wrote:No it's not.

To each their own, I suppose.
(v) (•,,,,•) (v)

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:31 pm

How do I scope on my NotLuger Rifle
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

EsToVnIa
Senator

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:38 pm

do the mature thing and look up scope mounts on google rather than ask a pointless question you can figure out yourself here?
Most Heavenly State/Khamgiin Tengerleg Uls

Weeaboo Gassing Land wrote:Also, rev up the gas chambers.

The United States of North Amerigo wrote:CUNT

12:02:02 AM <Tarsas> premislyd is my spirit animal tbh

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:46 pm

Estovnia wrote:do the mature thing and look up scope mounts on google rather than ask a pointless question you can figure out yourself here?

The cartridges ejecting straight up and the toggle lock would prevent a scope being in the usual position and apparently offset scopes are shit. I can't google "where does the scope go on a luger rifle"

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

EsToVnIa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:50 pm

don't make a sniper rifle variant then?

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:54 pm

Estovnia wrote:don't make a sniper rifle variant then?

It's for optics in general

EsToVnIa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:56 pm

luger rifle shouldnt need optics since its the 20s

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:58 pm

New Nirvash wrote:

Todd Howard said 'just give me something that looks sufficiently _____punk' and the art team (composed entirely of people who have never even seen a firearm in person) made it happen.

The Railway rifle was pretty cool...
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Alimeria-
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alimeria- » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:22 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Estovnia wrote:do the mature thing and look up scope mounts on google rather than ask a pointless question you can figure out yourself here?

The cartridges ejecting straight up and the toggle lock would prevent a scope being in the usual position and apparently offset scopes are shit. I can't google "where does the scope go on a luger rifle"

Scout scope or offset scope.
Really the only two options available.
Steampunk Norsemen using bullpup rifles ftw

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:49 pm

Estovnia wrote:luger rifle shouldnt need optics since its the 20s

But how else can I stop communist expansion?

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:50 pm

Fordorsia wrote:

You make a sniper variant with an offset action like the Swiss did.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:53 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

You make a sniper variant with an offset action like the Swiss did.

Unacceptable

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:54 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:You make a sniper variant with an offset action like the Swiss did.

Unacceptable

On the contrary my blade loving friend. The only true way is to make all your rifles offset!
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:56 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:
Unacceptable

On the contrary my blade loving friend. The only true way is to make all your rifles offset!

I could just make the action and magazine horizontal

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:57 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:On the contrary my blade loving friend. The only true way is to make all your rifles offset!

I could just make the action and magazine horizontal

Not worth it. Do that and you get all the issues of side loading rifles. The trick is to angle it just enough for the scope to fit and not a minute more.

Not that it really matters anyway. Because nobody is going to be crazy enough to keep his eye right up to the scope whilst a Luger mechanism is swinging wildly around millimeters from their face.
Last edited by Purpelia on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information