NATION

PASSWORD

Infantry Discussion Thread, Mk. 8 Mod. 0 [No Kaiju]

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:17 pm

Puzikas wrote:How horrid.

Just tell me what it would do to a people
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Puzikas » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:47 pm

No
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:48 pm

ok :c

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:00 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:
Gallia- wrote:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65329749/Nationstates/Tabes-of-Organization-and-Equipment/SVG/IRL/Composite-Battalion-1982.png

the bn with its revised/leaner platoons

What's the difference between company maintenance and battalion maintenance?

i dont know he doesnt say presumably the bn service coy is just more trucks than the coy service plt

stuff that would presumably live in the company transport sections of a Bn HQ i guess lives in the coy now

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:32 pm

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Puzikas » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:34 pm

It just shouldnt be.
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:36 pm

I'm caught in a pickle.

I can't decide between HK33, FAMAS, and Type 97-1.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:36 pm

Hey now

Actually how thick should the barrel wall be? Right now it's 6.2mm at the chamber and 4.3 at the muzzle. The fatness of the barrel really bothers me, even though it's a 25mm bullet.

Sevvania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2010

Postby Sevvania » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:44 pm

Triple. Make it a combination gun.
"Humble thyself and hold thy tongue."

Current Era: 1945
NationStates Stat Card - Sevvania
OFFICIAL FACTBOOK - Sevvania
4/1/13 - Never Forget

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:44 pm

In terms of WWI combat, if soldiers from one side managed to capture some trenches from the other side, what sort of risk would they be at in terms of a quick counterattack?
militant radical centrist in the sheets, neoclassical realist in the streets.
Saving this here so I can peruse it at my leisure.
In IC the Federated Kingdom of Prussia, 1950s-2000s timeline. Prussia backs a third-world Balkans puppet state called Sal Kataria.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:45 pm

Sevvania wrote:

Triple. Make it a combination gun.

That sort of thing belongs in MGV

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:In terms of WWI combat, if soldiers from one side managed to capture some trenches from the other side, what sort of risk would they be at in terms of a quick counterattack?

Depends on the losses of the defenders and what they had in reserve I'd imagine.

And did you spell your name correctly this time? :P
Last edited by Fordorsia on Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:53 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:In terms of WWI combat, if soldiers from one side managed to capture some trenches from the other side, what sort of risk would they be at in terms of a quick counterattack?

Depends on the losses of the defenders and what they had in reserve I'd imagine.

I think my old nation got deleted or something over the Christmas break - I couldn't log in. So whatever, the old name always annoyed me.

And WWI combat is a mystery to me. I'm sure the popular idea of "500 men charging into a hail of machine gun fire, 10 of them make it to the enemy trenches only to be bayoneted" has some truth to it, but I can't help but think that that's a very dumbed down version.
In IC the Federated Kingdom of Prussia, 1950s-2000s timeline. Prussia backs a third-world Balkans puppet state called Sal Kataria.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:00 pm

And basically this is part of why WW1 was terrible.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:01 pm

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

I think my old nation got deleted or something over the Christmas break - I couldn't log in. So whatever, the old name always annoyed me.

And WWI combat is a mystery to me. I'm sure the popular idea of "500 men charging into a hail of machine gun fire, 10 of them make it to the enemy trenches only to be bayoneted" has some truth to it, but I can't help but think that that's a very dumbed down version.

In the early months/ years I do think that was the case. But commanders weren't stupid, they stopped that because regardless of their rank/nobility/poshness, anyone can see how bad large exposed formations now were. I think the main problem for most is getting around the fact that the majority of WWI wasn't trench warfare. Most of it was pretty much WWII firefights in towns and countrysides just without the planes and tanks. At least for me, that throws of visualizing what it would actually be like in either trenches or open battlefield.

Then again I did see a combat montage which included what I think were French soldiers retreating with a flamethrower on their heels, so I guess I do have an idea of what it was like...

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:01 pm

Fordorsia wrote:

If only that were the truth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Loos

When the battle resumed the following day, the Germans had recovered and improved their defensive positions. British attempts to continue the advance with the reserves were repulsed.[8] Twelve attacking battalions suffered 8,000 casualties out of 10,000 men in four hours.

Lt. Col-Dr. John A. English wrote:As late as September 26, 1915, two new British divisions were committed to attack under such circumstances [bayonet charge against machine guns] in the area of Loos. Twenty minutes of bombardment, which appears to have caused the Germans no casualties, was followed by a pause of about half an hour. Then 10,000 men in 12 battalions advanced up a gentle slope toward enemy trenches still protected by unbroken barbed wire. At 1,500 yards range, the British advance met with a storm of machine-gun fire, which, in rough three and one half hours, killed 385 officers and 7,861 men. As remnants of the British staggered away from "Liechenfeld von Loos," the Germans stopped firing in compassion. Their casualties in the same time had been nil.

Also, B.H. Liddell-Hart's battalion was annihilated in an almost similar manner in the Battle of the Somme.

The Allies took many years of charging machine guns with elan et esprit before they realized bullets trumped martial courage.

In truth, it would be more like "2,000 men charge into machine gun fire, 200 return in disgrace" though.
Last edited by Gallia- on Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Dostanuot Loj wrote:I'm caught in a pickle.

I can't decide between HK33, FAMAS, and Type 97-1.

HK33

"Quick" is a relative term in WWI but after capturing a few lines of trenches the infantry is usually exhausted and heavily attrited. Reinforcements would obviously have to cross no man's land while the enemy would have ready-made routes of advance out of their redoubts. More importantly, enemy artillery would probably have pre-planned coordinates for just that contingency while the friendly troops are operating closer to the edge of their artillery support.
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:04 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:I think my old nation got deleted or something over the Christmas break - I couldn't log in. So whatever, the old name always annoyed me.

When the battle resumed the following day, the Germans had recovered and improved their defensive positions. British attempts to continue the advance with the reserves were repulsed.[8] Twelve attacking battalions suffered 8,000 casualties out of 10,000 men in four hours.

Lt. Col-Dr. John A. English wrote:As late as September 26, 1915, two new British divisions were committed to attack under such circumstances [bayonet charge against machine guns] in the area of Loos. Twenty minutes of bombardment, which appears to have caused the Germans no casualties, was followed by a pause of about half an hour. Then 10,000 men in 12 battalions advanced up a gentle slope toward enemy trenches still protected by unbroken barbed wire. At 1,500 yards range, the British advance met with a storm of machine-gun fire, which, in rough three and one half hours, killed 385 officers and 7,861 men. As remnants of the British staggered away from "Liechenfeld von Loos," the Germans stopped firing in compassion. Their casualties in the same time had been nil.

Also, B.H. Liddell-Hart's battalion was annihilated in an almost similar manner in the Battle of the Somme.

The Allies took many years of charging machine guns with elan et esprit before they realized bullets trumped martial courage.

Compassion, or just saving ammo :/

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:07 pm

That's absurd. I can't even begin to imagine what that was like. I don't want to imagine it.

Was it much the same for battles like Verdun, Somme, Ypes, etc.?

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:18 pm

I found the video with the soldiers getting chased with a flamethrower. I think the pursuers are German but I don't know about the ones they're chasing.

Happens at 1:20 for a few seconds, but I recommend watching the whole video. NSFW for gore (iirc) (yep gore/death) and plenty of unsettling footage of neurosis. Also the music, if I can even call it that, is terrifying.

Now I just feel like shit.
Last edited by Fordorsia on Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:22 pm

I'll just say this. I can add more later (WW1 my favorite war).

Bloody Verdun was the German campaign to "bleed the french white".

There's not a family in France from the time period who's blood did not soak that ground.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:27 pm

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:That's absurd. I can't even begin to imagine what that was like. I don't want to imagine it.

Verdun and Somme are meatgrinders but are part of a "transitional" period for the Entente. By the time of Third Ypres (Passchendaele) the Entente was fairly tactically proficient, and at Messines took a lot of ground with relatively few casualties.
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:30 pm

Dostanuot Loj wrote:I'll just say this. I can add more later (WW1 my favorite war).

There's not a family in France from the time period who's blood did not soak that ground.

Why is it your favorite? I'd think WWII is what really defined what a big war would really be like to this day. (of course, in the interwar period, everybody thought the next war would be like WWI)

Fordorsia wrote:I found the video with the soldiers getting chased with a flamethrower. I think the pursuers are German but I don't know about the ones they're chasing.

Happens at 1:20 for a few seconds, but I recommend watching the whole video. NSFW for gore (iirc) (yep gore/death) and plenty of unsettling footage of neurosis. Also the music, if I can even call it that, is terrifying.

Now I just feel like shit.

Some of that footage is from WWII. The first video is the Barham exploding in 41.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:38 pm

Dostanuot Loj wrote:I'll just say this. I can add more later (WW1 my favorite war).

Why is it your favorite? I'd think WWII is what really defined what a big war would really be like to this day. (of course, in the interwar period, everybody thought the next war would be like WWI)

WWI was the transition into modern combat and a literal meatgrinder to boot. Personally I'm not that interested in researching it, but I know all I need to know to understand why it's the war that people are most interested in. It's the closest we'll ever come to real 40k. That isn't even me trying to be light hearted either.

Some of that footage is from WWII. The first video is the Barham exploding in 41.

Yeah I caught that. Still, the video gets the message across.

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:00 pm

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:That's absurd. I can't even begin to imagine what that was like. I don't want to imagine it.

That was mostly the western front, go on to the eastern front and you find a different picture. Sure there were trenches but overall the front stretched over a far more massive area and in turn the battles did to with the front itself rather than remaining static in constant flux with each side gaining and loosing mass areas of land. In Africa, it looked little like the other aforementioned two resembling something like a guerrilla conflict rather than a classic conventional war.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:03 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Gallia- wrote:

Compassion, or just saving ammo :/

Little of column A, little of column B. You don't want to kill another person after all, unless you're a legitimate psychopath who needs to be locked up I guess, and that applies as much in 1915 as it does in 2015.

This was the era of the Christmas Truce, and honor among and towards [white skinned] warriors.

It got better.

The Allies tried short and brief bombardments to "shock" the enemy and avoid the creation of artificial obstacles, and then they tried moving barrages and nuclear level bombardments to shatter defences and stop the Germans from reinforcing their trenches, with varying degrees of success.

After the Marne, the Allied troops were almost continually on the offensive until 1918, and pre-war doctrine demanded maneuver and flanking attacks. Unfortunately, they didn't have the room to maneuver and no flanks to flank, so the only way they could feasibly attack was by massing as much manpower against Germans as possible. In some battles, it was 5-to-1 in favour of the Allies, and they never really broke the German defences. Firepower trumped the old ways of maneuver and the Allies constantly launched massive frontal assaults to break the German lines and force some kind of penetration they could exploit/flank.

The running theme is that basically prior to Mort Homme, British attacks were characterized by Boer War-style battalion waves, and eventually progressed to a semi-modern platoon-based fire-maneuver system after 1916. The French mastered the moving barrage earlier than the British, and small unit (platoon-section) level fire/maneuver. By the Somme, the British too had working creeping barrages, but stuck to their battalion-company "human sea" attacks for a variety of political and class reasons, and very few practical ones. The creeping barrage itself was problematic in that it didn't kill the enemy. German riflemen and machine gunners often lived through the barrages, waited for it to pass, and then shot up the British battalions and companies as they wallowed through the mud floundering helplessly.

The British eventually learned the value of the small unit and its fire/maneuver tactics, the last of the Allied armies to do so (besides maybe the Americans), the tank helped a bit (not understatement), and they refined the creeping barrage into a sort of ridiculously methodical/slow method of advance that involved battalions passing through each other so the barrage didn't "run away" and multiple transitions from standing to moving barrages, combined with massive amounts of counter-battery fire.

The Germans learned too, and had better infantrymen and small unit capability to compensate for their lack of mechanical troops like tanks, and generally performed better per man due to a combination of well-led small units and innovative tactics. Naturally, they also faced opponents with larger gross economic output and higher birth rates, but they were practically destined to lose once the Allies marshaled their economic and maritime power against the Reich.

Post-Verdun the Allies came into their element and got better.

By the end of the war it was still a bit of a mess, but WW1 was the culmination of several centuries' worth of increasing force dispersion and firepower that ended with indirect fire, mathematical warfare, and machine war. It was mostly dramatic because it was a shock to the system of the old ways of formation fighting, where troops lined up in company sized squares, volley fired their rifles from 2,000 meters, and got owned by shrapnel shells and machine guns.

The essence of WW1 can be found as early as Crimea, or if we want to be more pedantic the American Civil War, where trench fighting and machine guns (in the latter) were all present. The European armies had just failed to take into account the changes of these wars since basically Crimea, because they mostly ignored the US Civil War as an aberration, and were hyper focused on Imperial police actions where tactical finesse was trumped by sheer muscle. The Boer War was the most modern war the British had fought before the Great War, and while they had all the elements of the Great War (trenches, shrapnel, machine guns) none of it was present in sufficient number to matter to the generals who had studied Jomini, Dragomirov, etc. and who studied tactical analysis of Waterloo as the epitome of Great Power fighting.

Really what caused it was pretty simple: It'd been a century since the last Great World War of the age, so naturally there was no data to draw new conclusions or hypotheses upon (and even worse, historical analysis was itself an infant science), military theory was as much philosophy as science, and the great generals of the era (Foch, Haig, etc.) had no significant military experiences outside the parade grounds. Their historical allegories were based on as much mythology (and often national mythos) as primitive mathematical tactics/differential equations like Lanchester's square law, both probably epitomized by Foch.

Of course, the Allied and German generals also weren't stupid idiots, so they naturally adapted as parts of their theories were proven wrong, encouraged development of technology and tactics to bring a return to open maneuver warfare, and tended to apply some universal laws (albeit very primitive, the generals of the era were the titanic pioneers of an essentially new form of warfare) from Clausewitzian or Jominian theory.

The unfortunate fact of history is that when the cascading effects of multiple, minor changes (you might call it a "change chain" but that's dumb) in war catch up to the present without significant and rigorous scrutiny, a lot of people die.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information