NATION

PASSWORD

NS Military Realism Consultancy Thread Mark IX Spitfire

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:07 pm

LAV is literally a half track

e: or is it a three quarters track? the depths of american depravity escape me regardless

but in the ever optimistic future there are band tracks for 8x8s that go around the wheels
Last edited by Gallia- on Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Technocratic Syndicalists
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2015

Postby The Technocratic Syndicalists » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:34 pm

The Kievan People wrote:
It's what you don't see that is more important. Gun and rocket propellant burns most of its energy in the infrared spectrum.

Railguns muzzle flash is mostly produced by the energy that remains in the rails arcing across the muzzle after the projectile leaves the barrel. This can be mostly prevented with a proper muzzle shunt that dissipates the energy without arcing, the really spectacular muzzle blasts seen on some demonstrator shots are not at all representative of what a fielded railgun will be like. They are just nice PR photos, actual railguns will have very weak muzzle reports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eObepuHvYAw

Something like this?

This paper also mentions a "muzzle shunt" for reducing muzzle flash and barrel damage

I always assumed the molten pieces of metal from the armature flying out the barrel of a railgun would cause quite an impressive pyrotechnics display but apparently it's not the case. I guess I'll have to incorporate this into the writeup for the railgun on my BMD cruiser, albeit with a way to turn it off so when the press and politicians stop by for a live demonstration we can give them a nice fireworks show.
SDI AG
Arcaenian Military Factbook
Task Force Atlas
International Freedom Coalition

OOC: Call me Techno for Short
IC: The Kingdom of Arcaenia

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:55 pm

Mancunian Northumbria wrote:Before I draw an ORBAT for this can someone tell me if I'm doing this right?
Most of the brigade is rifle companies but there are two anti-tank companies, one anti-air company, and a signals platoon, sometimes a Light tank company will be attached as well.All in there are around 4,200 infantry in a Light Infantry Brigade which are organised into six rifle battalions. Five have an attachment of a mortar company and one of them has a anti-tank company attachment. As well as this there is also a field artillery battalion which has 52 105mm howitzers. There is also a support battalion which consists of a medical company, a logistics company and an engineer company.

As said 6 infantry battalions is a bit much. Also why not give each battalion a platoon each of mortars, anti tank and SF (sustained fire) machine guns in a support company?
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Mancunian Northumbria
Secretary

Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Mancunian Northumbria » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:31 am

So if I have 4 battalions with 4 companies of 180 men and add a support company to each which consists of a mortar platoon, an AT platoon and a heavy weapons platoon (automatic grenade launchers, M2s, etc.) as well as the artillery and support battalion that would be better yeah?

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:41 am

Husseinarti wrote:wow you replaced half tracks

sad

I know. :(

But they eventually get hard to find parts for.
And it's nice to sell them to collectors so they can enjoy the freedom.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Ardavia
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardavia » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:20 am

Are there any statistics regarding how many German tanks lost in WW2 were lost to ATGs, enemy tanks, etc?
professional contrarian
for: whatever you are against
against: whatever you are for

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:29 am

Dostanuot Loj wrote:
Husseinarti wrote:wow you replaced half tracks

sad

I know. :(

But they eventually get hard to find parts for.
And it's nice to sell them to collectors so they can enjoy the freedom.

You can make your own parts in your own country and in geeral encouraging indigenous manufacturing capabilities to help diversify the economy. State owned arms manufacturing facilities should fit well enough in this role.

State Capitalism for the win :D
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:46 am

Mancunian Northumbria wrote:So if I have 4 battalions with 4 companies of 180 men and add a support company to each which consists of a mortar platoon, an AT platoon and a heavy weapons platoon (automatic grenade launchers, M2s, etc.) as well as the artillery and support battalion that would be better yeah?

A little on the large side, but yeah that would be fine.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Kahanistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Kahanistan » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:49 pm

How feasible is it to use a cruise missile as a drone delivery system? My idea is to be able to have a warship a couple of thousand kilometres from enemy territory fire off a modified cruise missile with points for several drones on it, have the drones detach when the missile gets near enemy territory, and when the drones are a safe distance away blow up the missile in the air to limit enemy efforts to analyse the technology. It would allow recon drones to operate a significant distance from their mother ship and self-destruct when their fuel supplies run out and send intel to the mother ship in the mean time. Will the drones need some kind of heat shielding to withstand transport by long-range missile or will they be fine with the air friction generated by travel at high speeds? I'm thinking six to eight small drones or up to four medium to large drones mounted on a single Tomahawk sized missile with enhanced range, which gets shot off by a mothership (probably a destroyer or guided missile nuclear submarine) and when the mothership detects the missile has passed a certain distance the drones detach, move in separate directions, and relay intel to the mothership until they are shot down or their fuel supplies exhaust and they self destruct.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:02 pm

Kahanistan wrote:How feasible is it to use a cruise missile as a drone delivery system? My idea is to be able to have a warship a couple of thousand kilometres from enemy territory fire off a modified cruise missile with points for several drones on it, have the drones detach when the missile gets near enemy territory, and when the drones are a safe distance away blow up the missile in the air to limit enemy efforts to analyse the technology. It would allow recon drones to operate a significant distance from their mother ship and self-destruct when their fuel supplies run out and send intel to the mother ship in the mean time. Will the drones need some kind of heat shielding to withstand transport by long-range missile or will they be fine with the air friction generated by travel at high speeds? I'm thinking six to eight small drones or up to four medium to large drones mounted on a single Tomahawk sized missile with enhanced range, which gets shot off by a mothership (probably a destroyer or guided missile nuclear submarine) and when the mothership detects the missile has passed a certain distance the drones detach, move in separate directions, and relay intel to the mothership until they are shot down or their fuel supplies exhaust and they self destruct.

You almost certainly couldn't just attach the drones to the outside of a missile, they would have to be inside a specially made missile. While this is possible it has limited utility.

Larger drones would certainly have a problem fitting. A predator drone is 27 ft long, the tomahawk is 18 ft long, and that includes the motor.

You would probably be better off just launching the drone and piloting it to the destination.

If you want a quick pass over without any return you could also just fit observation equipment, and a satellite link, into the cruise missile. Missile flies over, gathers intelligence, sends intelligence via satellite, crashes into ground.
Fact Book.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Kahanistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Kahanistan » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:16 pm

Not sure a smaller drone would have the fuel supplies to travel for ~2,000 kilometres before hitting enemy territory. Might just use modified missiles for intel purposes but those might be more easily traced to a mothership unless specifically programmed to take a weird trajectory.

Connori Pilgrims
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 14, 2012

Postby Connori Pilgrims » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Kahanistan wrote:How feasible is it to use a cruise missile as a drone delivery system? My idea is to be able to have a warship a couple of thousand kilometres from enemy territory fire off a modified cruise missile with points for several drones on it, have the drones detach when the missile gets near enemy territory, and when the drones are a safe distance away blow up the missile in the air to limit enemy efforts to analyse the technology. It would allow recon drones to operate a significant distance from their mother ship and self-destruct when their fuel supplies run out and send intel to the mother ship in the mean time. Will the drones need some kind of heat shielding to withstand transport by long-range missile or will they be fine with the air friction generated by travel at high speeds? I'm thinking six to eight small drones or up to four medium to large drones mounted on a single Tomahawk sized missile with enhanced range, which gets shot off by a mothership (probably a destroyer or guided missile nuclear submarine) and when the mothership detects the missile has passed a certain distance the drones detach, move in separate directions, and relay intel to the mothership until they are shot down or their fuel supplies exhaust and they self destruct.

There have been extant concepts for long-range cruise missiles capable of some kind of limited surveillance and carrying "drones" in the form of submunition missiles inside the larger missile body; a recent (but probably cancelled already) US program called SMACM is an example of such.

The drones though aren't recon tools, since they'd be too small. They'd be the kill-mechanism instead, fitted with a warhead and a terminal guidance system. The surveillance system should be on the larger carrier missile.
LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR YOU. HATE.

Overview of the United Provinces of Connorianople (MT)
FT - United Worlds of Connorianople/The Connori Pilgrims
MT-PMT - United Provinces of Connorianople
PT (19th-Mid-20th Century) - Republic of Connorianople/United States of America (1939 World of Tomorrow RP)
FanT - The Imperium Fremen

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:16 pm

There's a drone that launches from the Smerch MLRS, it's probably small enough to be fitted to a cruise missile if you need to.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:01 am

Communication with a UAV is generally LOS limited. At any range where a small UAV will still have communication with the launch platform, it would probably be able to reach under its own power.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:14 am

Do SSGNs even have communications with the Tomahawks they launch when submerged? I thought the Tomahawks just kind of proceed on inertial or GPS guidance.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Kirkendoll Island
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 23, 2005
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kirkendoll Island » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:26 am

Dostanuot Loj wrote:Regiments within regiments.
Regimentception.

Yo, dawg! We heard you like regiments, so we put regiments...in your regiments! So now, you can have regiments, while you havin' regiments!

For the sake of posting something relevant to the purpose of this thread, I have a question. Is there any use in the modern day for a Commando-style force mounted on horseback and light vehicles?
"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."

- Sir Winston Churchill

I write like Mario Puzo, apparently.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:14 am

Allanea wrote:Do SSGNs even have communications with the Tomahawks they launch when submerged? I thought the Tomahawks just kind of proceed on inertial or GPS guidance.

It can sort of be done, both have SATCOMs. AFAIK it has never been seriously attempted because of the risk of having a submarine at periscope death using the SATCOM for that long is too great.

Communication between a submarine and a UAV is an area of great research interest. But I am aware of no breakthroughs.
RIP
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
Leopard 2 IRL

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:21 am

Kirkendoll Island wrote:
For the sake of posting something relevant to the purpose of this thread, I have a question. Is there any use in the modern day for a Commando-style force mounted on horseback and light vehicles?

It's very situation dependent. US Special Forces used horses in Afghanistan, largely because that what the locals were partially using.

Some special operations units use light vehicles to help with long range patrols. The Seals used DPV's in Desert Storm for his and other missions.

So yeah, you want commandos who can use light vehicles. Though it is more they use whatever transport fits the mission, rather than light transport being their primary thing.
Fact Book.

Minister

Postby The Technocratic Syndicalists » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:33 am

Allanea wrote:Do SSGNs even have communications with the Tomahawks they launch when submerged? I thought the Tomahawks just kind of proceed on inertial or GPS guidance.

Not really. Tomahawk uses TERCOM for midcourse guidance and until block IV were purely fire-and-forget weapons.

The Kievan People wrote:It can sort of be done, both have SATCOMs. AFAIK it has never been seriously attempted because of the risk of having a submarine at periscope death using the SATCOM for that long is too great.

Communication between a submarine and a UAV is an area of great research interest. But I am aware of no breakthroughs.

The only way to do it currently is with a communications buoy connected to the submarine via a long cable which would allow the sub to communicate with surface or airborne assets while it's at its operating depth, although there's a risk of the buoy being detected. So you could have the communications buoy communicate with a drone overhead and then the drone communicate with the cruise missile.
Last edited by The Technocratic Syndicalists on Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
SDI AG
Task Force Atlas

Heavonia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Heavonia » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am

How bad is it for naval forces (especially supporting a marine landing) to get into an enclosed waterway? Suppose a unified Baltic States equipped with ex soviet bloc kit and the like (probably to a level with, or more, than Syria with those SAM missiles), could one sail a fleet to land a Marine brigade-->division in Estonia and support it, or would it make it too easy for AShMs to engage the fleet?

Would sufficient AF action be able to suppress and destroy the threat of AShMs enough to enable that sort of operation?
I am the personification of Perfidious Albion...
Heavonian Embassy Thread
Heavonian Factbook

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:08 am

Cruise missiles are no big deal.

But submarines are. Finding submarines in the Baltic is almost impossible. Sending a large fleet into the Baltic is probably not worth the risk.
RIP
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
Leopard 2 IRL

Minister

Postby The Technocratic Syndicalists » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:12 am

Heavonia wrote:How bad is it for naval forces (especially supporting a marine landing) to get into an enclosed waterway? Suppose a unified Baltic States equipped with ex soviet bloc kit and the like (probably to a level with, or more, than Syria with those SAM missiles), could one sail a fleet to land a Marine brigade-->division in Estonia and support it, or would it make it too easy for AShMs to engage the fleet?

Would sufficient AF action be able to suppress and destroy the threat of AShMs enough to enable that sort of operation?

Diesel-electric subs are what you should be worrying about. Those suckers can hide in littoral waters near shore where there's tons of sonar clutter and ambush any unsuspecting surface ship that comes by.
SDI AG
Task Force Atlas

Heavonia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Heavonia » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:20 am

Okay, so I should just not engage in a landing in the baltic. Hrm. The main thing seems to be a thrust up from Central/Eastern Europe through Lithuania and Latvia to end in Tallinn.

How valid a tactic would be massed landings (Brigade-sized) of paratroops into Estonia to threaten the rear areas of the nation and seize strategic points?
Heavonian Embassy Thread
Heavonian Factbook

Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperializt Russia » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:24 am

If you can get them there and your enemy doesn't suspect you will, then probably very effective.

How do you propose on landing a brigade of paratroops in a combat drop well behind the enemy line?
How far behind the line is "Estonia" here? It probably won't be effective if your ground forces can't be expected to punch through and link up, even if it throws them into complete disarray. If they're too far to be exploited, then all it will really do is limit the availability of the enemy's reserves as they respond to the landings, and not provide a benefit on the frontline itself.
Warning! This poster has:
PT puppet of the People's Republic of Samozaryadnyastan.

Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

Heavonia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Heavonia » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:34 am

Imperializt Russia wrote:If you can get them there and your enemy doesn't suspect you will, then probably very effective.

How do you propose on landing a brigade of paratroops in a combat drop well behind the enemy line?
How far behind the line is "Estonia" here? It probably won't be effective if your ground forces can't be expected to punch through and link up, even if it throws them into complete disarray. If they're too far to be exploited, then all it will really do is limit the availability of the enemy's reserves as they respond to the landings, and not provide a benefit on the frontline itself.

Well, the assault will come from the southern border of Lithuania.

If we assume 0 hr is the point at which we start rolling across the border. The enemy knows a war is coming because we're not even in-region and we've been shipping forces to the nation on the southern border of Balticland to enable an invasion after they orchestrated a terrorist attack on Kouralian soil. I imagine they'd know if we deployed a brigade of paratroops there, considering all the specialist equipment that comes with it. Would that level of preparedness preclude massed airborne landings.

Also, I was assuming you combine masses of SEAD and regular fighter sweeps over the area of operations and then a load of tactical airlifters fly overhead and drop guys out of them. Is that not how massed airborne landings work? For this I'd assume they'd curve out over the Baltics and come in across the Estonian West Coast.
Heavonian Embassy Thread
Heavonian Factbook

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information