NATION

PASSWORD

NS Military Realism Consultancy Thread Mark IX Spitfire

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:09 am

Kassaran wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:TBH now we're getting into RP specifics and that is probably discussed either in a general roleplay discussion thread or in the RP's OOC thread itself.

Would not the purposes of this blockade be best determined as realistic by determining them? If need be then Inyursta, send me a link to the blockade's manifesto of purpose and I'll see what relevance a prisoner exchange would have to a blockade you say could be ended by it.

It's all in the OP: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=29270072#p29270072
Greater Ardokian Empire | It is Ardoki's destiny to rule the whole world!
Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic

Head of State: Grand Emperor Alistair Killian Moriarty
Head of Government: Grand Imperial Chancellor Kennedy Rowan Coleman
Legislature: Imperial Senate
Ruling Party: Imperial Progressive Party
Technology Level: MT (Primary) | PMT, FanT (Secondary)
Politics: Social Democrat
Religion: None
Personality Type: ENTP 3w4

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:11 am

Roski wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:
You are asking for a "realistic" response to an unrealistic action, without providing any information on why it is occurring. The international climate would have to be so different for it to happen that the reaction would be nearly impossible to speculate without any information anyway.

Alright, you want specifics.

Ardoki has violated sovereign airspace of memberstates of the international freedom coalition, as well as been hostile, then promises it will be a good nationstate, so the leader of the international freedom coalition, with a significant portion of the alliance in heavy protest towards the continuing existance of the current government of ardoki, unilaterally lets ardoki into the international freedom coalition.

what response would happen if the only reasonable analogy I came up with - the US pretty much ignoring all 27 other memberstates, and allowing the Russian Federation into the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

To be fair, they shot down one of my satellites in low earth orbit (900 kilometres above the planet) without any warning. We are not solely to blame, we were very restrained in that we didn't retaliate.

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:13 am

And yes, now I would have to say we're in danger of derailment so I'll suggest now taking this back to the OOC Thread.
Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:14 am

Kassaran wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:TBH now we're getting into RP specifics and that is probably discussed either in a general roleplay discussion thread or in the RP's OOC thread itself.

Would not the purposes of this blockade be best determined as realistic by determining them? If need be then Inyursta, send me a link to the blockade's manifesto of purpose and I'll see what relevance a prisoner exchange would have to a blockade you say could be ended by it.

It would not be especially relevant in this case. Why the blockade is being set up is not very relevant to the logistics of attempting it. Anything beyond that is outside the scope of this thread.

Roski wrote:Alright, you want specifics.

Ardoki has violated sovereign airspace of memberstates of the international freedom coalition, as well as been hostile, then promises it will be a good nationstate, so the leader of the international freedom coalition, with a significant portion of the alliance in heavy protest towards the continuing existance of the current government of ardoki, unilaterally lets ardoki into the international freedom coalition.

what response would happen if the only reasonable analogy I came up with - the US pretty much ignoring all 27 other memberstates, and allowing the Russian Federation into the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

This has:

1. Little to do with this thread, regarding military realism.
2. Nothing to do with hypotheticals regarding IRL nations, because there's a much easier way to find out: ask the other members of the IFC, all of whom have the right to play their nations and their reactions as they see fit. If they choose to accept it, protest, or even leave the IFC over it, it's their choice and no one else's.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:18 am

Roski wrote:i don't care about the realism of the unilateral enterance, im more worried about the aftermath of the incident.

I am fully fucking aware of how NATO works.
What would happen if bears could talk?
Restore the Crown

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:19 am

Questers wrote:
Roski wrote:i don't care about the realism of the unilateral enterance, im more worried about the aftermath of the incident.

I am fully fucking aware of how NATO works.
What would happen if bears could talk?

this thread would still somehow be useless unless it was asking about a specific caliber of gun in a specific setting.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:20 am

Roski wrote:
Questers wrote: What would happen if bears could talk?

this thread would still somehow be useless unless it was asking about a specific caliber of gun in a specific setting.

>IDT
>MRC
>conflating them
>roski.gif
Last edited by Questers on Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

Triplebaconation
Senator

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:27 am

Inyourfaceistan wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:
I would recommend not doing it, for one. But it doesn't seem like that advice would be heeded.

Then what would you recommend if said nation is refusing to compromise?

(Sanctions et al have long been used up and miltary force has been utilized before)

Attempting to blockade that entire expanse is an exercise in sheer futility, even for an NS navy.

Even like 4 - 8, maybe even more, nations involved?

Even if it's just more there to disrupt shipping than actually shut it down?

Quite frankly, your position is ridiculous. Exchanging POWs for war criminals? This makes you a war criminal.

How far are you willing to go get your way? Torpedoing neutral shipping? Shooting down an airliner? It sounds like your country needs reform, not Ardoki. (Who blockades a country undergoing significant democratic reform anyway lol)

More importantly, blockades are boring. "We inspect your bill of lading post economic losses!!1" A trial would be significantly more interesting, regardless of venue.
Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:42 am

On the topic of the blockade.

If I decide to remove the blockade by force, would my best bet be anti-ship missiles (from land if possible, in addition to air-launched)? I'm wary of confronting them in a direct naval battle, as my nation is not really a naval power (though we are going in that direction).

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:48 am

Ardoki wrote:On the topic of the blockade.

If I decide to remove the blockade by force, would my best bet be anti-ship missiles (from land if possible, in addition to air-launched)? I'm wary of confronting them in a direct naval battle, as my nation is not really a naval power (though we are going in that direction).

You would remove them the same way you'd handle any other hostile fleet in and around your waters, because that's what it is.

Given that anti-ship missiles are your best means of attacking an enemy fleet in general, any attempt to attack this hostile fleet would indeed rely heavily on them. But probably not land-based, because they will probably try to just stay out of range of your land-based missiles. If you can't actively contest them at sea, then you can't force them to remove the blockade, although you can make it very difficult and very expensive for them to try to maintain it.

One does wonder though why a nation that is evidently surrounded by ocean is not a naval power of some sort though.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:53 am

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Ardoki wrote:On the topic of the blockade.

You would remove them the same way you'd handle any other hostile fleet in and around your waters, because that's what it is.

Given that anti-ship missiles are your best means of attacking an enemy fleet in general, any attempt to attack this hostile fleet would indeed rely heavily on them. But probably not land-based, because they will probably try to just stay out of range of your land-based missiles. If you can't actively contest them at sea, then you can't force them to remove the blockade, although you can make it very difficult and very expensive for them to try to maintain it.

One does wonder though why a nation that is evidently surrounded by ocean is not a naval power of some sort though.

We have a reasonable navy, which can defend our territorial waters. However, several of the nations we are going up against have very large navies in their own right, and we may suffer heavy losses if we try to engage them (unless, they dilute their strength enough).

I'll try and prepare my navy, so I may concentrate my force when the times comes. However, it will still be very risky going up against them. If I can use aircraft and land-based launchers, I'm going to try before I send out my fleet.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:55 am

Ardoki wrote:We have a reasonable navy, which can defend our territorial waters. However, several of the nations we are going up against have very large navies in their own right, and we may suffer heavy losses if we try to engage them (unless, they dilute their strength enough).

I'll try and prepare my navy, so I may concentrate my force when the times comes. However, it will still be very risky going up against them. If I can use aircraft and land-based launchers, I'm going to try before I send out my fleet.

Why can't you use all three at once? You should.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:02 am

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Ardoki wrote:We have a reasonable navy, which can defend our territorial waters. However, several of the nations we are going up against have very large navies in their own right, and we may suffer heavy losses if we try to engage them (unless, they dilute their strength enough).

Why can't you use all three at once? You should.

Yes, that is a very good idea. Though I should probably wait until the blockading forces arrive before I get too concerned, they might not even be able to restrict our trade so military action might be unnecessary.

Triplebaconation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:34 am

The difficulty you face is that by taking military action, you greatly simplify their position. They can cut your trade off almost completely without an effective blockade.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:40 am

So how would you recommend blockading a nation roughly the size of Australia with no nation closer than 5000km away and few reliable allies?

It's an incredibly, incredibly bad idea.

1. As covered, a blockade is an act of war.

Ardoki is fully entitled to shoot at any of your ships the moment you declare a blockade. So are all Ardoki's allies.

2. The problem is one of space. The further away you are from Ardoki the harder it is for you to patrol, the closer you are - the easier it is for him to shoot you.

In real history, blockades exist only in context of actual wars, and are used to prevent your enemy from resupplying.

You can't wage war on Ardoki, because Ardoki is in a huge heavilly-armed alliance, and waging war on Ardoki would require fighitng all of them.

Realistically, a war with several nations your own size over a handful of war criminals would be very costly to your nation, and the costs would be disproportionate to anything gained.

It might still happen - but reasonably it would only happen is there are deeper underlying reasons for war (say, an ongoing enmity between you and Ardoki) and the war criminals only being a pretext.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Triplebaconation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:04 am

Allanea wrote:
2. The problem is one of space. The further away you are from Ardoki the harder it is for you to patrol, the closer you are - the easier it is for him to shoot you.

In real history, blockades exist only in context of actual wars, and are used to prevent your enemy from resupplying.

This isn't necessarily true. Blockades are often used as a coercive method short of war. Ardoki is fully justified in responding with force, though. As I mentioned before this makes the blockaders' job easier, as they can now use a paragraph instead of interception.

From the threads in question, the blockaders also seem to be a powerful coalition and Ardoki is the focus of an internal schism in his alliance. A complicated and baffling situation.

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:08 am

Triplebaconation wrote:
Allanea wrote:

This isn't necessarily true. Blockades are often used as a coercive method short of war. Ardoki is fully justified in responding with force, though. As I mentioned before this makes the blockaders' job easier, as they can now use a paragraph instead of interception.

From the threads in question, the blockaders also seem to be a powerful coalition and Ardoki is the focus of an internal schism in his alliance. A complicated and baffling situation.

Yes, it is an ... interesting situation.

Hopefully, the blockade can somehow be stopped before it begins. Otherwise, we'll have to hope the IFC can de-escalate the situation before war is necessary.

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:32 am

Triplebaconation wrote:This isn't necessarily true. Blockades are often used as a coercive method short of war. Ardoki is fully justified in responding with force, though. As I mentioned before this makes the blockaders' job easier, as they can now use a paragraph instead of interception.

Yup. In addition some of the blockaders are nominally on both sides. Therefore I expect Ardoki's alliance would fairly rapidly force a diplomatic settlement.

By the way, something I've been meaning to ask milrealism for ages, which may become pertinent to Ausitoria at some point: would floating mines be of any widespread (or alternatively, local) use against aircraft?
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:35 am

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:
Triplebaconation wrote:This isn't necessarily true. Blockades are often used as a coercive method short of war. Ardoki is fully justified in responding with force, though. As I mentioned before this makes the blockaders' job easier, as they can now use a paragraph instead of interception.

Yup. In addition some of the blockaders are nominally on both sides. Therefore I expect Ardoki's alliance would fairly rapidly force a diplomatic settlement.

By the way, something I've been meaning to ask milrealism for ages, which may become pertinent to Ausitoria at some point: would floating mines be of any widespread (or alternatively, local) use against aircraft?

You could make a floating anti-aircraft mine.

But:

1. Nobody has done this IRL.

2. Anti-aircraft mines are kind of only good against low-flying aircraft, (they work by firing an EFP at the plane or helicopter, typically up to 150-200 meters).
#HyperEarthBestEarth

New Chilokver
Minister

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby New Chilokver » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:36 am

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:

As in a submerged, encapsulated AAM? Or a mine in the sense that it's a floating, aerial weapon designed to deny access to aircraft, much the same way naval mine does so for ships?

I can't see either one being useful, unfortunately.

About User
Hong Kong-Australian Male
Pro: Yeah
Neutral: Meh
Con: Nah
| [1] | [2] | [3] | [4] | [5] |
[HOI I - Peacetime conditions]
Head of Government: President Sohum Jain
Population: 195.10 million
GDP (nominal): $6.39 trillion
Military personnel: 523.5k
IIWiki
| There is no news. |
Other Stuff
Lingria wrote:Just realized I'm better at roleplaying then talking to another human being.
Fck.
WARNING: This nation represents my RL views.

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:40 am

New Chilokver wrote:Or a mine in the sense that it's a floating, aerial weapon designed to deny access to aircraft, much the same way naval mine does so for ships?

To clarify, this was what I was thinking of (although the EFP and submerged AAM ideas sound interesting too). Naturally such airship-mines would need to be stealthy, and/or hidden in valleys where enemy aircraft might be expected to fly down to try to avoid radar detection, and/or launched at the last minute.

Could it be done? Would it be worth doing?
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Triplebaconation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:45 am

It's called a barrage balloon.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:49 am

Barrage balloons are terrible. Anti-helicopter mines on the other hand...
#HyperEarthBestEarth

HMS Vanguard
Senator

Founded: Jan 16, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Vanguard » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:50 am

Allanea wrote:Barrage balloons are terrible.

This is triggering. Please check your privilege.
Feelin' brexy

Kassaran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kassaran » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:59 am

Or if you want to deny access to valleys and below-the-horizon areas, string up lots and lots of high-tension cable.
Beware: Walls of Text Generally appear Above this Sig.
Zarkenis Ultima wrote:Tristan noticed footsteps behind him and looked there, only to see Eric approaching and then pointing his sword at the girl. He just blinked a few times at this before speaking.

"Put that down, Mr. Eric." He said. "She's obviously not a chicken."
The Knockout Gun Gals wrote:
The United Remnants of America wrote:You keep that cheap Chinese knock-off away from the real OG...

bloody hell, mate.
that's a real deal. We just don't buy the license rights.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information