NATION

PASSWORD

Applications to Pericles (RP Region - OPEN)

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:13 pm

Alright, fellows, I've been travelling and then I was ill, so let's finally gee up and take a crack at these.

-Aztlan- wrote:Nation Name: The Aztlan Dominion
[...]

As I say to girls after a good first date: "what I've seen, I like very much, and would like to see more." What I would like in particular, though, is a better description of how your government works. "Military dictatorship under absolute autocratic monarchy," can you go into more details there? How does your government work, and why is it the way it is?

If you can clarify how your government works, and if you can do Kiri's writing prompt, then I'll second you in. We already have Sevase as a Meso-American-themed nation; may as well bring on another. In that case, you two may want to be next to one another, and live off in Plata. Give Lanos more trouble.

Alcase wrote:Nation Name: The Alcasian Republic | La Répbublique Alcasienne
[...]

For my own part, and to begin with, I'm not offended by the idea that your territory is so large. Provided it's not of any profit to you, I see no reason not to be large; it's not as though we're short on space.

What interests me, though, is that you're in a very high-traffic area. The three Mineans are extremely close to you, and while it's not on the map you've used (which is my fault), Akashi is just to your south. I can respect the desire to basically have the course of French history, but the Carpathia/Mineas crossroad is not an easy place to do it - you'd have to react to a lot of things happening around and often on top of you. If you're committed to this location, then there's a lot we'd have to discuss about it; it may be easier just to move elsewhere.

Other than that, everything seems solid. Hit up the writing prompt and we'll go from there.

Ronaar wrote:Nation Name: The Armed Republic of Ronaar
[...]

The fact that you're intentionally choosing a small country makes the barrier to entry lower. The obsession with archery would be weird if you were trying to play as a superpower, but here it works just fine. The idea that a team of elite assassins could go and kill a foreign head of state with a bow and arrow, though, that's a little too much, even for us.

Other than that, you seem fine. Most of the islands off Kirisaki are already spoken for (which, again, is my fault - I haven't updated the map in a while), but there are a couple we could fit you in.

Ronaar
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ronaar » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:58 pm

Aurinsula wrote:Alright, fellows, I've been travelling and then I was ill, so let's finally gee up and take a crack at these.

[...]

As I say to girls after a good first date: "what I've seen, I like very much, and would like to see more." What I would like in particular, though, is a better description of how your government works. "Military dictatorship under absolute autocratic monarchy," can you go into more details there? How does your government work, and why is it the way it is?

If you can clarify how your government works, and if you can do Kiri's writing prompt, then I'll second you in. We already have Sevase as a Meso-American-themed nation; may as well bring on another. In that case, you two may want to be next to one another, and live off in Plata. Give Lanos more trouble.

Alcase wrote:Nation Name: The Alcasian Republic | La Répbublique Alcasienne
[...]

For my own part, and to begin with, I'm not offended by the idea that your territory is so large. Provided it's not of any profit to you, I see no reason not to be large; it's not as though we're short on space.

What interests me, though, is that you're in a very high-traffic area. The three Mineans are extremely close to you, and while it's not on the map you've used (which is my fault), Akashi is just to your south. I can respect the desire to basically have the course of French history, but the Carpathia/Mineas crossroad is not an easy place to do it - you'd have to react to a lot of things happening around and often on top of you. If you're committed to this location, then there's a lot we'd have to discuss about it; it may be easier just to move elsewhere.

Other than that, everything seems solid. Hit up the writing prompt and we'll go from there.

Ronaar wrote:Nation Name: The Armed Republic of Ronaar
[...]

The fact that you're intentionally choosing a small country makes the barrier to entry lower. The obsession with archery would be weird if you were trying to play as a superpower, but here it works just fine. The idea that a team of elite assassins could go and kill a foreign head of state with a bow and arrow, though, that's a little too much, even for us.

Other than that, you seem fine. Most of the islands off Kirisaki are already spoken for (which, again, is my fault - I haven't updated the map in a while), but there are a couple we could fit you in.

I can remove the assassins, if need be.

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:12 pm

Ronaar wrote:
Aurinsula wrote:The fact that you're intentionally choosing a small country makes the barrier to entry lower. The obsession with archery would be weird if you were trying to play as a superpower, but here it works just fine. The idea that a team of elite assassins could go and kill a foreign head of state with a bow and arrow, though, that's a little too much, even for us.

Before we go removing things, could you tell me more about the Red Arrows, the Green Arrows, and the Dark Archers?

Ronaar
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ronaar » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:23 pm

Aurinsula wrote:
Ronaar wrote:

Before we go removing things, could you tell me more about the Red Arrows, the Green Arrows, and the Dark Archers?

Meant to be the elite forces, trained in different areas based on the unit. The Dark Archers are to be the deadliest of assassins, and if a threat is great enough, then Ronaar would send them to 'eliminate' the threat. The threat is rarely great enough, and when it is they would speak with their allies first, so the Dark Archers are rarely used, though highly trained.

The Green and Red Arrows, while elite forces, are mostly sent to assist the forces of other nations if absolutely necessary. The Green Arrows are trained for forest and jungle combat, as well as sharpshooting. Red Arrows are trained for desert combat, and could be considered the 'brutes' of the three Elite Forces.
Last edited by Ronaar on Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:33 pm

Ronaar wrote:
Aurinsula wrote:Before we go removing things, could you tell me more about the Red Arrows, the Green Arrows, and the Dark Archers?

Meant to be the elite forces, trained in different areas based on the unit. The Dark Archers are to be the deadliest of assassins, and if a threat is great enough, then Ronaar would send them to 'eliminate' the threat. The threat is rarely great enough, and when it is they would speak with their allies first, so the Dark Archers are rarely used, though highly trained.

The Green and Red Arrows, while elite forces, are mostly sent to assist the forces of other nations if absolutely necessary. The Green Arrows are trained for forest and jungle combat, as well as sharpshooting. Red Arrows are trained for desert combat, and could be considered the 'brutes' of the three Elite Forces.

I question very highly whether such a group would be viable, and I think it would be a good idea to lose them. (If nothing else, the first time someone showed up with an arrow in their neck, everyone would know who did it.)

So here's a good stand-by question. If a person from your real-life country (which I'm assuming is the USA) were to go to Ronaar as a tourist for a few weeks or even a few months, what would their impression of the country be?

Chozai
Attaché

Founded: Feb 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chozai » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:19 pm

Nation Name: The Kingdom of Chozai
Form of Government: Absolute Monarchy
National Leader(s):
    Emperor (Head of State): Sheng-tsu
    Chancellor (administrative minister): Kong Ming
    Secretariat of Jing Zu (drafts Imperial legislature): Fa Zhu
Population: 915m
Estimated GDP: 12.5tr
Description of National Culture:
Chozai is an oriental nation with a rich history stretching back tens of thousands of years to the first neolithic settlements in the area. The Chozan people are very diverse, but for the purposes of a national culture, 'Chozan' can be assumed to refer to the inhabitants of Chozai's eastern seaboard and along the Yu river. The inhabitants of this area are largely homogenous Fen-Chozan culture.

Fen-Chozan are the ethnic majority in Chozai, and their roots stretch back to the Fen dynasty which established itself circa 4000 BCE. As such, Fen culture is well developed and highly advanced. It has a strong ethnic identity and is the dominant ethnicity in the Chozan government. Fen culture expresses itself through many art forms such as ceramics, music, architecture, cuisine, literature, martial arts, visual arts, traditional storytelling, dance and religion.

The religion of Shenjiao is the predominant religion in Chozai, and is a religion that emphasizes ancestor veneration and filial piety. Related to this, Fen culture puts huge emphasis on family name and the importance of family loyalty. The most prominent families have likely occupied high positions since the first dynasties, and upward mobility is mostly impossible for members of lower class families. With recent modernizations, the Imperial office has sought, with limited success, to transition to a more meritocratic system of economic transition and government appointment.

Climate and Geography:
(Extracted from Factbook:) Covering approximately 8.4 million square kilometers, Chozai contains a number of different climates and landscapes. This diverse geography includes steppes in the far north, subtropical and tropical zones in the south and alpine areas around Yongshan and the Huo Shan mountain range. The Yu River, which winds from the Huo Shan range to the north eastern coast, is one of the longest rivers in the world, as well as one of the widest, measuring over 126 kilometers across in some sections. The country's population is largely concentrated along the banks of the Yu River, as well as along the central eastern seaboard. The Kingdom of Chozai also holds over 1.3 million square kilometers of foreign territory, although this area is not taken into account when calculating total landmass.

National History:
(Extracted from Factbook:) The recorded history of Chozai stretches back almost three thousand years to the nation's formation in 815 BCE, although archaeological records indicate that civilizations existed in the area as far back as 3400 BCE. The current hereditary monarchy has its foundation in 815 BCE, with the foundation of the Royal House of Jin-Shi and the Chozan nation. Since the reign of Tianzi, the first emperor, Chozai has existed in peace and relative stability up until the present day, largely due to a strong nobility and a powerful internal police force.

Chozai had, until the coronation of Emperor Taizong in 1912, been in a period of economic decline, although reforms by the late emperor succeeded in revitalizing the nation and beginning a process of industrialization. This process of modernization has continued into the present day under the reign of the current Golden Lion Emperor, Sheng-tsu.

Description of National Economy (Major sectors, development, etc.):
Most of Chozai's economy is based off of the tremendous natural resources found within its borders. Ore (aluminum, iron, copper, gold, silver, uranium) mining, lumber and petroleum are extracted in vast quantities, with varying levels of environmental regulation. Industrial expansion is limited, but expanding rapidly, thanks to reforms brought about during the last 104 years. At the moment, Chozai has a large consumer product sector, with clothing and textiles dominating. Armaments, chemicals and automobiles are also produced domestically in notable amounts.

Outside of densely populated zones, the Chozan economy is largely still agriculture based and highly traditional, unless a notable amount of raw natural resources exist in the area. Rice and millet are grown in sizable amounts for domestic consumption, and a huge livestock industry exists in the northern steppes.

Description of National Military:
(Extracted from Factbook:) The Jade Standard Army (JSA) is the armed forces of Chozai under the leadership of the Orchid Throne, and the Golden Lion Emperor. The JSA consists of four professional service branches: the Jade Army, the Red Navy, the Silver Air Corps and His Majesty's Imperial Lion Corps. It employs 0.09% of the nation's total population, and is Chozai's largest single employer.

The JSA is under direct command of the Golden Lion Emperor, and is supervised by the Chancellery and the Royal War Office. General operations are generally managed by the War Office, while the Chancellery deals primarily in operational oversight and review. The Emperor, meanwhile, has total command of the armed forces and can set objectives, institute policies or issue directives at will.

The JSA serves two roles, fulfilled separately by either its active duty or reserve personnel. Combat and national security operations, such as homeland defense, are undertaken by active duty personnel, who are trained in modern weaponry and combined arms operations. Meanwhile, reserve personnel are generally trained to deal primarily with domestic economic construction and emergency relief, as these are the tasks they are applied towards.

Reserve personnel are conscripted, and a year of military service is mandatory for all Chozan citizens. Active duty personnel are professional soldiers and volunteers, and represent Chozai's main fighting force and military deterrent.

In times of national emergency, such as in the event of an invasion, the JSA has the capacity to make use of police, Juntong and other domestic security forces as auxiliary and support personnel.

Description of Geopolitical Role:
Chozai has traditionally been unable to expand, due to lagging behind in technological and economic development. Recent advances (over the last century) have changed that to some extent, and Chozai is beginning to settle into a position as a geopolitical contender. Increasingly, military developments are focused on offensive rather than defensive engagements, although no such conflicts have arisen yet. The Chozan government is becoming increasingly aware of the power of initiative, and seeks expansion into new territories for reasons of resource acquisition, national prestige and acquisition of a greater manufacturing base to exploit.

Roleplaying Example or Link (Please provide at least three paragraphs): http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=333110
Notes and Questions: None

What made you choose Pericles? I saw it and it appeared interesting, so I thought I'd apply and try to join. I hope it'll allow me to be more active in the RPing sphere with this nation, since this is the country I have most developed/have been most consistently committed to.
Please list any active alts or puppets you may control: Oh boy, there are a lot (I'm only listing the ones that have participated on the forums), many of them have CTEd:
Have you ever controlled a nation that was deleted for poor conduct: No
Have you read and understood the guidelines on our OP: Yes
Department of International Harmony
Embassy Program

If even we don't understand our tactics, how can the enemy hope to?

Ronaar
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ronaar » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:09 pm

Aurinsula wrote:
Ronaar wrote:

I question very highly whether such a group would be viable, and I think it would be a good idea to lose them. (If nothing else, the first time someone showed up with an arrow in their neck, everyone would know who did it.)

So here's a good stand-by question. If a person from your real-life country (which I'm assuming is the USA) were to go to Ronaar as a tourist for a few weeks or even a few months, what would their impression of the country be?

Depending on where they're from, it'd probably be something along the lines of really nice people (think Southern Hospitality) along with beautiful forests. If they're from the South they'd probably think it was a bit cold. Other than the coolness, people from the Appalachian area would probably feel right at home.

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:44 pm

Chozai wrote:Nation Name: The Kingdom of Chozai
National Leader(s):
Chozai is an oriental nation with a rich history stretching back tens of thousands of years to the first neolithic settlements in the area. The Chozan people are very diverse, but for the purposes of a national culture, 'Chozan' can be assumed to refer to the inhabitants of Chozai's eastern seaboard and along the Yu river. The inhabitants of this area are largely homogenous Fen-Chozan culture.

Fen-Chozan are the ethnic majority in Chozai, and their roots stretch back to the Fen dynasty which established itself circa 4000 BCE. As such, Fen culture is well developed and highly advanced. It has a strong ethnic identity and is the dominant ethnicity in the Chozan government. Fen culture expresses itself through many art forms such as ceramics, music, architecture, cuisine, literature, martial arts, visual arts, traditional storytelling, dance and religion.

The religion of Shenjiao is the predominant religion in Chozai, and is a religion that emphasizes ancestor veneration and filial piety. Related to this, Fen culture puts huge emphasis on family name and the importance of family loyalty. The most prominent families have likely occupied high positions since the first dynasties, and upward mobility is mostly impossible for members of lower class families. With recent modernizations, the Imperial office has sought, with limited success, to transition to a more meritocratic system of economic transition and government appointment.

Climate and Geography:
(Extracted from Factbook:) Covering approximately 8.4 million square kilometers, Chozai contains a number of different climates and landscapes. This diverse geography includes steppes in the far north, subtropical and tropical zones in the south and alpine areas around Yongshan and the Huo Shan mountain range. The Yu River, which winds from the Huo Shan range to the north eastern coast, is one of the longest rivers in the world, as well as one of the widest, measuring over 126 kilometers across in some sections. The country's population is largely concentrated along the banks of the Yu River, as well as along the central eastern seaboard. The Kingdom of Chozai also holds over 1.3 million square kilometers of foreign territory, although this area is not taken into account when calculating total landmass.

National History:
(Extracted from Factbook:) The recorded history of Chozai stretches back almost three thousand years to the nation's formation in 815 BCE, although archaeological records indicate that civilizations existed in the area as far back as 3400 BCE. The current hereditary monarchy has its foundation in 815 BCE, with the foundation of the Royal House of Jin-Shi and the Chozan nation. Since the reign of Tianzi, the first emperor, Chozai has existed in peace and relative stability up until the present day, largely due to a strong nobility and a powerful internal police force.

Chozai had, until the coronation of Emperor Taizong in 1912, been in a period of economic decline, although reforms by the late emperor succeeded in revitalizing the nation and beginning a process of industrialization. This process of modernization has continued into the present day under the reign of the current Golden Lion Emperor, Sheng-tsu.

Most of Chozai's economy is based off of the tremendous natural resources found within its borders. Ore (aluminum, iron, copper, gold, silver, uranium) mining, lumber and petroleum are extracted in vast quantities, with varying levels of environmental regulation. Industrial expansion is limited, but expanding rapidly, thanks to reforms brought about during the last 104 years. At the moment, Chozai has a large consumer product sector, with clothing and textiles dominating. Armaments, chemicals and automobiles are also produced domestically in notable amounts.

Outside of densely populated zones, the Chozan economy is largely still agriculture based and highly traditional, unless a notable amount of raw natural resources exist in the area. Rice and millet are grown in sizable amounts for domestic consumption, and a huge livestock industry exists in the northern steppes.

(Extracted from Factbook:) The Jade Standard Army (JSA) is the armed forces of Chozai under the leadership of the Orchid Throne, and the Golden Lion Emperor. The JSA consists of four professional service branches: the Jade Army, the Red Navy, the Silver Air Corps and His Majesty's Imperial Lion Corps. It employs 0.09% of the nation's total population, and is Chozai's largest single employer.

The JSA is under direct command of the Golden Lion Emperor, and is supervised by the Chancellery and the Royal War Office. General operations are generally managed by the War Office, while the Chancellery deals primarily in operational oversight and review. The Emperor, meanwhile, has total command of the armed forces and can set objectives, institute policies or issue directives at will.

The JSA serves two roles, fulfilled separately by either its active duty or reserve personnel. Combat and national security operations, such as homeland defense, are undertaken by active duty personnel, who are trained in modern weaponry and combined arms operations. Meanwhile, reserve personnel are generally trained to deal primarily with domestic economic construction and emergency relief, as these are the tasks they are applied towards.

Reserve personnel are conscripted, and a year of military service is mandatory for all Chozan citizens. Active duty personnel are professional soldiers and volunteers, and represent Chozai's main fighting force and military deterrent.

In times of national emergency, such as in the event of an invasion, the JSA has the capacity to make use of police, Juntong and other domestic security forces as auxiliary and support personnel.

Chozai has traditionally been unable to expand, due to lagging behind in technological and economic development. Recent advances (over the last century) have changed that to some extent, and Chozai is beginning to settle into a position as a geopolitical contender. Increasingly, military developments are focused on offensive rather than defensive engagements, although no such conflicts have arisen yet. The Chozan government is becoming increasingly aware of the power of initiative, and seeks expansion into new territories for reasons of resource acquisition, national prestige and acquisition of a greater manufacturing base to exploit.

Roleplaying Example or Link (Please provide at least three paragraphs): http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=333110

What made you choose Pericles? I saw it and it appeared interesting, so I thought I'd apply and try to join. I hope it'll allow me to be more active in the RPing sphere with this nation, since this is the country I have most developed/have been most consistently committed to.
Please list any active alts or puppets you may control: Oh boy, there are a lot (I'm only listing the ones that have participated on the forums), many of them have CTEd:

I have a lot that I want to say about this country, but before I do, there's one thing I have to clear up.

I was born and raised in China, and another member of our region is an overseas Chinese. Since we can assume that you are basically playing China, I have to ask - how much do you know about this country and these people? Have you ever been there, have you studied them, do you speak the language?

Ronaar wrote:
Depending on where they're from, it'd probably be something along the lines of really nice people (think Southern Hospitality) along with beautiful forests. If they're from the South they'd probably think it was a bit cold. Other than the coolness, people from the Appalachian area would probably feel right at home.

Is there anything interesting to say about the material patterns of their life? Do they go to school, take up 9 to 5 jobs, that sort of thing? If they had to emigrate to the United States, how would they do on average?

Chozai
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Chozai » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:55 am

Aurinsula wrote:I was born and raised in China, and another member of our region is an overseas Chinese. Since we can assume that you are basically playing China, I have to ask - how much do you know about this country and these people? Have you ever been there, have you studied them, do you speak the language?

I've never been to China, nor do I speak Chinese. Essentially everything that can be assumed to be directly analogous to actual China is from Wikipedia pages or websites about China before the Communist Revolution.
Embassy Program

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:50 am

Chozai wrote:
Aurinsula wrote:I was born and raised in China, and another member of our region is an overseas Chinese. Since we can assume that you are basically playing China, I have to ask - how much do you know about this country and these people? Have you ever been there, have you studied them, do you speak the language?

I've never been to China, nor do I speak Chinese. Essentially everything that can be assumed to be directly analogous to actual China is from Wikipedia pages or websites about China before the Communist Revolution.

There are many things I have to consider here, but the first and most important thing involves the one of the first lines of your application.

Chozai wrote:Population: 915m

These numbers are astonishingly inflated; you have ten times as many people as we might even consider admitting. There's also something I noticed later on that gave me pause.

Chozai wrote:Climate and Geography:

Could you clarify the bolded part for me?

On some level, I have to consider this carefully because I, Aurinsula, play Pericles's China ersatz, or more specifically a Taiwanese ersatz. If both our countries were to have things like Mazu statues or guzhengs or tea ceremony or calligraphy or, well, Chinese characters, we'd have to think very carefully about how this parallel evolution occurred.

If you were willing to be part of, rather than the entirety of, your own national history, then perhaps we could work something out.

Chozai
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Chozai » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:22 am

Aurinsula wrote:There are many things I have to consider here, but the first and most important thing involves the one of the first lines of your application.

Chozai wrote:Population: 915m

These numbers are astonishingly inflated; you have ten times as many people as we might even consider admitting. There's also something I noticed later on that gave me pause.

Chozai wrote:Climate and Geography:

Could you clarify the bolded part for me?

On some level, I have to consider this carefully because I, Aurinsula, play Pericles's China ersatz, or more specifically a Taiwanese ersatz. If both our countries were to have things like Mazu statues or guzhengs or tea ceremony or calligraphy or, well, Chinese characters, we'd have to think very carefully about how this parallel evolution occurred.

If you were willing to be part of, rather than the entirety of, your own national history, then perhaps we could work something out.

I possess territory in other regions, that can be assumed to be largely colonial in nature. I really haven't worked it out much, it was just something to make my country seem to have a more imperial legacy at the time of writing. Purely personal roleplaying for my own benefit. I'd scrap it if necessary.

I'd also be willing to adjust both my national population (and whatever stats are directly affected by that so as to remain proportional) and my national history to fit with a greater narrative/regional roleplaying etiquette.
Last edited by Chozai on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Embassy Program

Ronaar
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ronaar » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:22 am

Aurinsula wrote:
Chozai wrote:Nation Name: The Kingdom of Chozai
National Leader(s):

Climate and Geography:

National History:

I have a lot that I want to say about this country, but before I do, there's one thing I have to clear up.

I was born and raised in China, and another member of our region is an overseas Chinese. Since we can assume that you are basically playing China, I have to ask - how much do you know about this country and these people? Have you ever been there, have you studied them, do you speak the language?

Ronaar wrote:

Is there anything interesting to say about the material patterns of their life? Do they go to school, take up 9 to 5 jobs, that sort of thing? If they had to emigrate to the United States, how would they do on average?

School generally starts at age 7 with the First Grade, with state-funded daycare and preschool available until the age of 7. They then go until 11th grade, generally graduating at around 18. That's one thing that would probably throw them off should they move to the United States. Jobs vary greatly. Some are 9-5, schools are generally 10-3, and others are at the discretion of owners, much like America. The school system would definitely be the biggest thing that would throw them off, as America starts school at a younger age and go to school two hours earlier than Ronaar.

The rudeness in some areas would certainly upset people from Ronaar, and the anti-hunting sentiment in other areas would likely leave them feeling ostracized, though the obsession with guns in other areas would likely leave them feeling a bit disturbed, as bows are considered more elegant weapons, as well as one the requires greater skill and a level-head.

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:58 pm

Ronaar wrote:
Aurinsula wrote:Is there anything interesting to say about the material patterns of their life? Do they go to school, take up 9 to 5 jobs, that sort of thing? If they had to emigrate to the United States, how would they do on average?

School generally starts at age 7 with the First Grade, with state-funded daycare and preschool available until the age of 7. They then go until 11th grade, generally graduating at around 18. That's one thing that would probably throw them off should they move to the United States. Jobs vary greatly. Some are 9-5, schools are generally 10-3, and others are at the discretion of owners, much like America. The school system would definitely be the biggest thing that would throw them off, as America starts school at a younger age and go to school two hours earlier than Ronaar.

The rudeness in some areas would certainly upset people from Ronaar, and the anti-hunting sentiment in other areas would likely leave them feeling ostracized, though the obsession with guns in other areas would likely leave them feeling a bit disturbed, as bows are considered more elegant weapons, as well as one the requires greater skill and a level-head.

Are there any large cities in Ronaar? If so, what are they like? Or does everyone live this kind of bucolic country-side existence?

Ronaar
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ronaar » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:08 pm

Aurinsula wrote:
Ronaar wrote:

Are there any large cities in Ronaar? If so, what are they like? Or does everyone live this kind of bucolic country-side existence?

There are a few big cities, but they aren't near as big as cities like New York City. The capital only houses about 105,000 people, and it's design is essentially the same as Bern, Switzerland. The second biggest city has about 87,000 people, it's design looks like the following:

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:48 pm

Ronaar wrote:
Aurinsula wrote:

There are a few big cities, but they aren't near as big as cities like New York City. The capital only houses about 105,000 people, and it's design is essentially the same as Bern, Switzerland. The second biggest city has about 87,000 people, it's design looks like the following:

All right, I getcha. I'll get some other people to look at this, and then I'll get back to you.

-Aztlan-
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby -Aztlan- » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:11 pm

Aurinsula wrote:Alright, fellows, I've been travelling and then I was ill, so let's finally gee up and take a crack at these.

[...]

The Aztlan Dominion is an absolute hereditary monarchy, ruled by the Emperor (Huetlatoani) with unrestricted power over the state and its people. The Council of Four, an advisory body of generals, is the highest executive body of the Dominion, tasked with assisting and advising the Emperor in the highest affairs of state. Under the Council of Four is the extended High Command, consisting of the collective commanders and executive officers of all the branches, departments and sectors of the Dominion. Military governors (Cuauhtlatoani), appointed by the emperor, are the governors of the military districts or cantons (altepetl) of the Dominion on behalf of the Emperor. A Cuauhtlatoani has command of all citizens and military units within their sector and has near absolute discretion regarding the political and economic development of their sector. The Cuauhtlatoani is usually assisted by a district/cantonal adjutant (Tlatoani), typically the second-in-command of the canton and overseeing the day-to-day operations of the canton.

Ixtli Nopaltzin's footsteps echoed loudly as he made his way briskly down the torchlit hallway. The ancient stones of the summer palace were perfectly smooth and well fitted, in this case simply the wear of millennias worth of feet instead of craftsmanship. Truthfully, Ixtli disliked the summer palace. Not only was it lacking in modern amenities such as HVAC systems, it was also lacking in not so modern amenities, like electricity, or plumbing. Only a few rooms in the complex had power, and that was provided via portable generators, running on kerosene. He would have preferred to never come to this gods forsaken relic and conducted business in the capital; but then he was merely the military governor of this canton, and the man he nervously strode forth to meet was his emperor. Ixtli was cousin to the Huetlatoani, Azcalxochixiuitl Tecoztli IV, and the two had grown up together. They had known each other their whole lives, so their was no doubt in Ixtli's mind that Azcalxochixiuitl was insane, which probably explained why he was so besotted with the place.

As Ixtli exited out onto a large veranda, he spotted the Huetlatoani, and subconsciously smoothed out his shirt. The two men looked very similar in that they were older and graying, yet they differed as well. Ixtli's military fitness was gradually loosing the battle against middle-aged paunchiness, while Azcalxochixiuitl's clothing hung loosely on his rail thin form. While his frame may have seemed deceptively frail, his eyes practically shone with a mad light, he he was full of manic energy. Azcalxochixiuitl quickly paced back and forth across the veranda holding a stack of folders filled with papers that he would open and read, shuffling from folder to folder, page to page, in no seeming order. At times he would mix the pages into the wrong folders or simply toss paper and folder alike to the ground, shaking his head and mumbling to himself. He was followed by a trio of young functionaries who would pick up the discarded paperwork and seem torn between bureaucratic outrage at the mess and fear of who was making it. The Huetlatoani finally caught sight of Ixtli and smiled for an instant before frowning. “It's about time you got here Cuauhtlatoani Nopaltzin.” Glaring at the functionaries, he barked “Leave us.” The three young men scuttled gratefully from the veranda as fast as decorum would allow. Once they left, Azcalxochixiuitl positively beamed at his cousin. “It is good to see you, Ixtli. Come, tell Us of this...unpleasantness.” he said, waving absently at the mess of paper.

“As you know, there was a bit of unpleasantness at the grand temple of Huitzilopochtli.”

“Yes a murder of some sort was my understanding.”

“Indeed” Ixtli continued, “But this was not just a normal murder. This was meant as some sort of statement. The high priest was found on the alter. He was tied to it and drained of blood, like the old ways. Our medical forensics is not comparable to that of other countries, so we can not be sure, but the medical examiner believes the heart was removed before exsanguination.” Azcalxochixiuitl looked away, gazing out at the landscape.

“Mahuico. I can hardly believe it. You know he presided over my coronation? Of course you know, you were there. He was like an uncle to me—to both of us, really. How are you handling this?”

“By focusing on finding the person or persons responsible for his death.” Ixtli replied. “I can grieve after they have been brought to justice.”

“Who would gain from this, Ixtli? Who would want to do this and why?”

“The people believe the culprit or culprits are Catholic. There have already been reprisals and counter reprisals throughout the canton. I've begun deploying troops to bolster the police forces and stepped up patrols to try and prevent them from committing more bloodshed.”

“Good. Good. The last thing I need is for the populace to start thinking I don't have a monopoly on force.” Azcalxochiuitl ignored Ixtli's discomfited expression. “Have we been too lenient with these Catholics, Ixtli? We have once fed the sun with our bodies and souls and he was content. In the interest of seeking an accord with the pagans in our midst, we began nonfatal bloodletting. And the sun grew hotter. Eventually that wasn't good enough for the nonbelievers and they convinced us to burn blood-soaked paper strips. And the sun grew hotter. Now they are no longer content with that and want us to anger the sun further. How much more will he he put up with. I fear if we do not cool his temper that the world is doomed. Already sea ice melts and the oceans rise. What will that mean for us? For Our Dominion? Perhaps this is a sign, and we should put these Catholics to the knife as they did Mahuico. Perhaps that will placate Huitzilopochtli.”

Ixtli studiously kept his expression blank, trying not to think about the fact that his emperor believed that the lack of human sacrifices was responsible for global warming. “While certainly a possibility, “ he began carefully, ”what if it is merely misdirection? Something done to discredit the Catholic community in your eyes.”

“Hm. Yes, it would be bad if I were to be so easily manipulated. Very well, double the patrols you've already increased, and station men around temples. Theirs as well as ours. Let them see that We protect all of Our subjects, not merely the faithful.” He sighed. “I think I will spend some time in the little temple here. You may go, Ixtli.” Not waiting for his cousin to leave, Azcalxochiuitl walked across the veranda and vanished into another hallway. Ixtli suddenly felt very tired, like he had run a marathon while carrying a mountain. He always felt drained after dealing with his cousin these days. Shaking his head, he returned back the way he came. There was work to be done.

Elsewhere in the summer palace, Azcalxochiuitl walked reverently into a small temple to Huitzilopochtli. Just as he had commanded, a ceremonial obsidian dagger rested on the alter next to a little white cooler with a red lid, which the emperor knew contained dry ice. Trembling with anxiousness, or maybe excitement, Azcalxochiuitl Tecoztli IV, Huetlatoani of the Aztlan Dominion opened the cooler. He slowly reached into the cooler and pulled out the treasure within. “Hello Uncle Mahuico.” he said as he reached for the dagger.

North Defese
Minister

Founded: Jun 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby North Defese » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:53 pm

Ooo, a lot to go over!

@Atzlan
I have this real affection for meso-american nations on NS, because they're so rare. The culture is so unique and colorful, that transplanting it in the modern world gives a little unique gem in our endless supply of Eurasians.
On your app specifically:
  1. Your national leader's name is completely unpronounceable. This is a score in your favor.
  2. You put effort into providing a broad spectrum of cultural life in Atzlan. Human sacrifice is a very "iffy" subject to have in a modern secular nation, but from what I've read here you've written the concept well.
  3. Your history is short, but it's not reasonable to expect a fully fleshed out history when you haven't even been involved in the region yet! It looks like you have a general theme, and I'd enjoy seeing what comes of collaborating on it.
  4. Despite your lack of roleplay examples, you seem like an enjoyable fellow, and I'd be happy to see you in Aeneas!

@Alcase
Your map claim is massive, and a bit counter-intuitive. The Livean is a hub of international trade and traffic - being so massive, and situated where you would be, you'd quickly become a super-power. You've put effort into your history and culture, and I'd be happy to see it put in our region. But again, I'd really prefer if your claim was cut down. I'd be happy to add mountains to the east, as you want.
"One minute Defesian logic is all happy and joyish with some seriousness involved. Then suddenly you look into the context and notice a brutal, bloody wording.
And you're like 'Holy shit, Defese is terrifying.'" - Restored Belka
The Defesian National Anthem
Pro: good things :)
Con: bad things >:(

Esylveon
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Esylveon » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:56 pm

Nation Name: The Kingdom of Esylveon
Form of Government: Constitutional Monarchy
National Leader(s): King Lyle Morris VI, Speaker Michael Isaiah
Population (Please remember our realism guidelines): 50.6 Million
Estimated GDP: $85.53
Description of National Culture: Science is highly praised, almost as much as theater is. Entertainment is deeply ingrained into the culture of Esylveon, with it's capitol city also being the center of the entertainment industry. There is a subculture in the South that can be compared to the American South, minus the racism.
Climate and Geography: The climate is generally fairly warm, a temperate climate. There are many mountains, especially in the center of they country. The capitol city was built in a valley in the center of the Esylveon, surrounded by mountains, a natural barrier. Rivers crisscross the nation, and forests dot the landscape. There is an area in the north called 'Purgatory', which is a harsh desert.
National History: Esylveon started as a tribe of warriors that began in the area that is now the capitol city.The natural barriers allowed them to live in peace, developing their own life, their own sense of existence, their own gods and culture. After an attack by a neighboring tribe outside of their mountain home, the tribe went on a rampage, acquiring the various tribes and land that make up modern Esylveon. They allowed the tribes to keep their religions and culture, but they were to live under the laws of the original tribe. Over time, the cultures mixed, though the religions didn't. As time passed, they interacted with other nations, trading technologies, arms, religion, etc., giving rise to modern Esylveon.
Description of National Economy (Major sectors, development, etc.): The Entertainment industry is by far the largest, with the science sector coming in at a second. The agriculture industry turns in a rather sizable profit.
Description of National Military (Please remember our realism guidelines): The main military of Esylveon is essentially a smaller version of the United States military.
Description of Geopolitical Role: They prefer to keep to themselves, but they are considered the entertainment center of the world, as well as the home of one of the most renowned scientific center in the world, C.I.S.T.R. (pronounced, sister), the Center for International Science and Technical Research.
Roleplaying Example or Link (Please provide at least three paragraphs): The following is about a new technique to cure the common cold. Of course, it wouldn't be canon, just an example.
The scientists and researchers at CISTR worked tirelessly on the new vaccine. The goal was to finally find a cure for the common cold, to get rid of it completely, much like how smallpox and various other diseases had essentially been eliminated thanks to vaccines. The wonders of modern science and medicine, the joy of helping the people of the world. Of course, there were those who would seek profit or weapons, which was why CISTR had such great security, funding by many nations, including Esylveon and others. This particular section had been trying for years to find a way to vaccinate people against the common cold, but none of the vaccines seemed to work.

In one of the labs, a man by the name of Professor Sycamore Oak, a man whose name was often the butt of many puns and jokes, stood over a microscope, examining the contents of slide. Professor Oak was working hard, trying to figure out the right chemical formula to finally put a stop to the cold, to end its reign of mild annoyance and inconvenience across the world. He ran over to a cluster of beakers, attempting something a little 'different'. So far, no vaccines had been able to stop the common cold, at least not the normal way. This gave Oak an idea, one that caused him much ridicule. His plan was not to simply build up the immune systems of those who got this vaccine, clearly that wasn't working. No, Sycamore Oak planned on completely eliminating the virus from the region.

On the microscope slide was a sample of the virus which caused the common cold, sitting lifeless like the parasite it was. Oak filled a dropper with a pink chemical, dropping it onto the slide, watching as the virus reacted violently with it. To his horror, the virus actually began to move around, almost intelligently. Oak filled another dropper with a different chemical, adding it to the mixture. The intended effect was to neutralize the first chemical, but that is certainly not what happened. The virus mutated, reacting with the odd mixture of chemicals which caused it to grow, absorbing the liquid like a sponge. Sycamore Oak called for assistance, and soon the military was called in, confiscated the accidentally weaponized virus, that was once the simple common cold.

What made you choose Pericles? Seems like it would be a good group of people to RP with.
Please list any active alts or puppets you may control: N/A
Have you ever controlled a nation that was deleted for poor conduct: Nope
Have you read and understood the guidelines on our OP: Oui

Aurinsula
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aurinsula » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:30 pm

Esylveon wrote:In one of the labs, a man by the name of Professor Sycamore Oak...

I beg your pardon?

Chozai
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Chozai » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:18 pm

Chozai wrote:I possess territory in other regions, that can be assumed to be largely colonial in nature. I really haven't worked it out much, it was just something to make my country seem to have a more imperial legacy at the time of writing. Purely personal roleplaying for my own benefit. I'd scrap it if necessary.

I'd also be willing to adjust both my national population (and whatever stats are directly affected by that so as to remain proportional) and my national history to fit with a greater narrative/regional roleplaying etiquette.

Any more feedback on this? Would this help my application?
Last edited by Chozai on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Embassy Program

Esylveon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Esylveon » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:04 pm

Aurinsula wrote:
Esylveon wrote:In one of the labs, a man by the name of Professor Sycamore Oak...

I beg your pardon?

Yes, Professor Sycamore Oak. Just kinda came out when I was typing, thank you Pokemon for the names :p

North Defese
Minister

Founded: Jun 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby North Defese » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:08 pm

Chozai wrote:
Chozai wrote:I possess territory in other regions, that can be assumed to be largely colonial in nature. I really haven't worked it out much, it was just something to make my country seem to have a more imperial legacy at the time of writing. Purely personal roleplaying for my own benefit. I'd scrap it if necessary.

Any more feedback on this? Would this help my application?

I myself have a population over the limit. It's not an absolute ban - having stats above the limits are permitted if you can justify why they're that way.

For my own country, my increased population is detrimental. Our territory is vast, but without the resources or logistics to support the population it holds.

The worry is an understable concern about popular NS ideas - that high pop = more power. In Pericles, we've tried to emphasize that more pop = less power. Or to summarize it all: you shouldn't have immense strengths in all fields. Give and take!

The rest of your app is commendable - having two Chinas may need some extra thought, but I personally don't see it any different from having two Frances' or two Russia's. Aurinsula is an excellent conversational partner and he has helped me shape my own national culture through our talks; if you enjoy worldbuilding, I'm sure you would enjoy talking to Aurinsula and exploring on a deeper level what it means for your nation to be "Chinese".

Having territories in other regions is a small stickler, however. Can these overseas possessions drag extra-regional nations into Pericles should you go to war or anything? Do they provide you with benefits or stat-buffs that don't manifest directly in your national statistics? Hypothetically, if I declared war on you, would these possessions result in me facing a sudden influx of allies and out-of-region manpower?

With an answer to that concern, I'd be happy to endorse your application.
Last edited by North Defese on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"One minute Defesian logic is all happy and joyish with some seriousness involved. Then suddenly you look into the context and notice a brutal, bloody wording.
And you're like 'Holy shit, Defese is terrifying.'" - Restored Belka
The Defesian National Anthem
Pro: good things :)
Con: bad things >:(

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:18 pm

Aurinsula wrote:

I beg your pardon?

Are you a boy or a girl?

Esylveon
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Esylveon » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:23 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Aurinsula wrote:
I beg your pardon?

Are you a boy or a girl?

You may be my new favorite person.

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Transnapastain » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:33 pm

Esylveon wrote:
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Are you a boy or a girl?

You may be my new favorite person.

First time for everything, I guess!
Last edited by Transnapastain on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information