NATION

PASSWORD

Character Creation 101: Better Characters are a Click Away!

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:00 pm

Ord Caprica wrote:Oliver Kenway Jr.-Literally my flagship character and while his fact book entry isn't anywhere near finished, my character notes are for the most part all encompassing except when it comes to explaining certain behaviors.

To fully explain his character, I've got to start with his grandfather, Michael Kenway ''The Admiral'', the only surviving Kenway after the Great Astyrian War, Michael was left to take over his families noble estates and their debts which were considerable after their contribution to the war effort. He decided to stay in the Navy after the war and eventually managed to get their family debt under control throughout his career though never able to give his children the prosperity that previous generations of Kenways had enjoyed. He had three sons, George Sr, Francis and Oliver Sr. George Sr , followed his father's footsteps and joined the Navy, becoming a national hero with his own fame as a Naval Aviator, Francis achieved his own level of renown within the tight-knit Intelligence Community of Caprica as one of the founding father's of the country's Central Intelligence Service, and Oliver Sr. having grown up with quite the chip on his shoulder from having such accomplished family figures as well as being the ''poor kid, with a rich name'' went into banking to obtain his fortune, a goal that he accomplished many times over, at his death being worth an estimated 600 million talents.

So Oliver Jr. grew up a privileged boy from a famous family, raised in the lap of luxury without a care in the world other than to uphold the Kenway legacy, and what a legacy it was. After graduating from an Ivy League school, he followed in his grandfather's shadow and joined the navy and upon the suggestion of his uncle, became a Naval Aviator, only a shade less talented than the legendary ace that he was attempting to emulate. He served just under a decade in Navy before getting out right before the birth of his second child only to see his birthplace brought to it's knees by a crippling terrorist attack weeks after he resigned his commission.

Looking to help his city and his country; he ran a incredibly successful campaign for first Mayor then Governor of his state before finally making an insurgent run for the Prosperity Party's presidential nomination and then beating out all other candidates to win the closest presidential election in living history.

As President, he's worked to do all the things he said he would do during his campaign, strengthen the military, fight terrorism domestically and internationally, streamline the government, reform the education system and stimulate economic growth. He's also done things he didn't say he was going to do, like get into an affair with his high-powered Press Secretary, and conceiving a child with her, as well as accusations of nepotism due to his cabinet consisting almost exclusively of fellow prep school and Ivy League graduates.

The Campaign Trail

So any tips, critiques or helpful suggestions on how to improve the character or just your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

It seems like you have quite a history over here. Oliver Kenway Jr. grew up following in the footsteps of some pretty great and talented individuals. The big question I have, is how is his relations with his family? Is he close with everyone? Or is everyone too competitive to stay close? Another thing I am wondering, is what his personality is like. Growing up as the descendant of at least 2 generations of very important/great/famous individuals has the tendency to do one of two things. Either end up with the child as a mess (the classic young celebrity [booze, drugs, some jail time before straightening out later in life]) or as an introvert (usually someone who puts all their effort into trying to match accomplishments that are already laid before him. My guess with this character is this one, since he is following in his uncle's footsteps).

I would suspect that growing up as a rich kid, he might have spent some time in jails/prison before joining the navy and gaining some respect for authority.

Overall, after reading the factbook you have on him and a little bit of the campaign trail, i can see that a lot of effort is being put into him. Nice job! :D
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Ord Caprica
Envoy

Founded: Oct 23, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ord Caprica » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:42 pm

Oliver was a rebellious youth getting into more than his fair share of trouble and not so hilarious shenanigans up until his sophomore year of university when his father was diagnosed with rapid-onset dystonia parkinsonism in 1990. After that he got serious about his studies and essentially ran away to the Navy were he wasn't expected to live up to the family name in the same way he would've had to as a civilian. He followed the footsteps of his Uncle and Grandfather not particularly because he wanted to join the navy as a career but more because he wanted to be closer to his remaining male parental figures, relationships that were neglected for a number of reasons(age difference,inter family squabbling).

He maintained good relationships with his cousins, despite sometimes major gaps in age and interests and he's passed that along to his children. Under his patriarchy(as primary trustee of the Kenway fortune), the family has gotten closer to one another than it was when he was growing up, but there are still tensions below the surface.

Oliver's first cousin, George Jr.(Son of his fighter pilot uncle) has been said to resent Oliver and his family because of his apparent usurpation of family leadership when it historically was supposed to fall to eldest son of Michael Kenway(The Admiral), his father, George Sr. It's nothing overt but sometimes that tension is there when Oliver is forced into a position where he must exert his authority over the family. In addition, George Jr. feels his father cared more about Oliver who decided to follow his footsteps than his only son and that was cause for tension when they were younger, though old grudges don't necessarily die out.

Margaret Kenway, Francis Kenway's second daughter has had her own conflicts with that side of the family, first with Oliver Sr. for refusing to support her politician husband monetarily during his campaigns for political office and then with Oliver Jr. for not bringing him up with him as he obtained more and more political success. It's a classic tale of the elder family members resenting the young, rising star in the family for both succeeding so well and fast and for not pausing to help them do better.

Oliver Jr's conflicts with these two first cousins have been the root of many of the familial disputes though, they have started subside as a whole new generation of Kenway's comes of age and have grown up with Oliver Jr. calling the shots and supporting them in their endeavors(getting them into prestigious universities, acquiring internships and of course providing for a life of luxury) and therefore aren't resentful of his family being in the spotlight or being so successful.

Furbish Islands
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Furbish Islands » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:55 pm

Name: Big-Noo
Species: Furby
Biography: Big-Noo was born to a middle-class family in Furby City on the day of the election in 1/23/1984. After graduating high school in 2000, he went to Furby City University to study law(please keep in mind that Furby Island's education system was different due to isolation). After graduating in 2004, he become a lawyer. In 2007, he decided to resign and run as an MP for the Conservative Party for the 2008 election. He ended up with a seat. He also ran in 2010, 2012, and 2014 and got a seat. He decided to run again in 2016. This time, he was 25th on the party's list, which meant that he had a chance of being the PM if the Conservative Party had the majority. He won the position by only 1%. At that time, Furby Island had a huge debt after the Liberal Party added the environmental protection acts. The Conservative Party won the most seats in Parliament, which meant that Big-Noo became the PM. He removed many regulations, created the advertising acts(which allowed corporations to make ads on government property), and abolished corporation taxes and that ended the debt.
Ðe United Provinces and Territories of Ðe Furbiſh Iſlands
Sic semper tyrannis!
Population: 283.503.325
GDP: $10,095 trillion
Currency: Furbish Guilder, ƒ1 = $1,9655
Monarch: Willem van Orange-Nassau
Stadtholder: Adjoa Iſamaan
Prime Minister: Arthur Trudeau

A social liberal Pacific island paradise, formerly a
Dutch, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish colony.
Computer science major and stereotypical nerd.
Russian, born in Israel, currently in
Massachusetts, the best state in the US.

This country is mostly based on my RL beliefs.
FBC News: Dover Man Charged With Assault With Deadly Weapon After Throwing Alligator Through Denny's Drive-Thru Window | Three New High Speed Rail Corridors Clear Environmental Review

Wachovialand
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Accident

Postby Wachovialand » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:52 am

I know this is off topic but is there away to change your answer on one of the issues I accidentally chose the wrong one

Dontaria
Envoy

Founded: Oct 12, 2013
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Dontaria » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:43 pm

Wachovialand wrote:I know this is off topic but is there away to change your answer on one of the issues I accidentally chose the wrong one

If you have to ask a similar question as this, be sure to ask it in the Got Issues? forum.

As for the answer: No. You have to wait until an issue that has an option that can reverse the effect of the option you chose to come.
Forum posts prior to 2017 are relics of simpler, stupider days. Read with caution then disregard.

Wachovialand
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Wachovialand » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:30 am

Dontaria wrote:
Wachovialand wrote:I know this is off topic but is there away to change your answer on one of the issues I accidentally chose the wrong one

If you have to ask a similar question as this, be sure to ask it in the Got Issues? forum.

As for the answer: No. You have to wait until an issue that has an option that can reverse the effect of the option you chose to come.

Okay thank you

Thama
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Thama » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:00 pm

Oh good lord the use of "xe/xir" in the resources websites as the neutral pronoun makes the grammar nazi inside me want to concoct a final plan.
"They" is a thing. I don't care if you coin neologisms for your pronouns or whatever, but when you're speaking of a gender that is not male or female (regardless of your views on the legitimacy of the concept) or you're talking about an unknown gender, you use the singular "they".
Thanks folks.

Great resources other than that pet peeve of mine though.
Last edited by Thama on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Politics? In my NS? It's more likely than you think.
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.50
Factbook, not stats. Not a guy, not a gal.
- The Nikopolian Empire and Archoncy of Thama -
- Des Nikopolsraik ed Arkoncy of Thama -
Capital city: Capital District Territory
Official languages: Ostspeak, Llynduneg
Government: Federated Parliamentary Monarchy
Population: 234,240,000
Head of State: Cedric Stargard
National Anthem: First March
Technology Level: Class V11 (Late PMT)
Area: 6,103,670 Sq km (mainland)
Old Map

Insert Cliche Here

Brisketistan
Attaché

Founded: Jul 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Brisketistan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Very helpful!

The Funeral Party
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Funeral Party » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:40 pm

Hello, I'm trying to create a good enough information for my funloving VicePresident(Known as the Royal Minister) and this is what I got, but it just doesn't seem right can you guys help me?

Rockington Jones is currently the VicePresident of the Graveyard as he was elected in 2017 by the population to try to slow down the young Lord President on being corrupted with power on his early day on the job,which James is grateful to be titled the VicePresident or the "Royal Minister" to help the nation's development to be a successful Democracy without falling back into a "Psychotic dictatorship" like the last monarch of the country wished it be.

His ruling style as the Royal Minister is quite chill and rocking at times, when he decides to host a rockstar party at his mansion in the Cornhill district with some fellow government officials and some friend of his to just have a good time,but James, his boss does get pretty pissy about that has he wishes Rockington to focus on work instead of play which is reasonable as Rockington is in an important seat of power as the Royal Minister with access to the secret meeting halls and has to speak with foreign leaders, when the Lord President plans the meetings.
The Funeral Party has been relocated to the The Seyiokian Republic

Ord Caprica
Envoy

Founded: Oct 23, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ord Caprica » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:34 am

The Funeral Party wrote:Hello, I'm trying to create a good enough information for my funloving VicePresident(Known as the Royal Minister) and this is what I got, but it just doesn't seem right can you guys help me?

Rockington Jones is currently the VicePresident of the Graveyard as he was elected in 2017 by the population to try to slow down the young Lord President on being corrupted with power on his early day on the job,which James is grateful to be titled the VicePresident or the "Royal Minister" to help the nation's development to be a successful Democracy without falling back into a "Psychotic dictatorship" like the last monarch of the country wished it be.

His ruling style as the Royal Minister is quite chill and rocking at times, when he decides to host a rockstar party at his mansion in the Cornhill district with some fellow government officials and some friend of his to just have a good time,but James, his boss does get pretty pissy about that has he wishes Rockington to focus on work instead of play which is reasonable as Rockington is in an important seat of power as the Royal Minister with access to the secret meeting halls and has to speak with foreign leaders, when the Lord President plans the meetings.

Is James or Jones the VP?

Either way.. If the VP is supposed to guide/mentor a younger President then it would make sense that he be older or have significantly more life or government experience than the person he's supposed to mentor. You'd also want to look at why he doesn't want the top job for himself, given that he's probably similarly or more qualified to hold the top seat.

NS Miami Shores
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 10, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby NS Miami Shores » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:38 am

Rhodevus wrote:
Strong Heroes!
Lovely Damsels!
Mischievous Villains!

There are thousands, if not millions of different characters that have been created on this website alone. Used to move roleplays forward or demonstrate national power. Someone to bring to influential weddings, or play on sports teams. With so many different types of characters and characteristics to give them, how can someone new, or someone old create a character that they will be happy to use, time and time again?

Welcome to Character Creation 101!

(Image)

This thread will allow people to begin character creation, or to continue it into something you will be happy to use. Discuss anything relating to RP characters, such as motives, backstories, emotions.
Help each other create that true hero, dastardly villain, or even that perfect morally gray masterpiece.

Remember, the whole point of designing characters is not to have a character to play as, but a person with which a story can be told about. The goal of any writer or roleplayer, is to make their character feel like a living breathing human (or not) being. It is how we describe them in our paragraphs. Their little quirks and charms. What they are scared of and what they love. Design people and the perfect character will follow.

Classroom Rules:

1. By posting here,you are accepting the fact that your characters and designs will be criticized and critiqued beyond imagine. People will be trying to help, but it is your decision to listen or not.

2. Don't offer useless critiques. Make sure to be constructive and thoughtful. If you do not like another's idea, do not assume that your ideas will fit theirs.

3. Be respectful to everyone. Most importantly, the Principal. AKA Rhodevus

4. All site rules apply here.

5. This thread is mostly OOC, but if you wish to, posting in IC is always allowed, if not regular.

Moderator Gold Stars
We have received a gold star from everyone's favourite Game Moderator:
Euroslavia!

Websites that might help out with character creation:
Name Generator
Backstory Construction
Character Profile Generator
Tips for creating Memorable Characters
Character History Help
Creating believable characters
On Writing Morally Ambiguous Characters
Morality, Alignments and Loyalties
Point of View Writing
Character Personality Development
How to RP good characterization
Use of Astrology in Character Creation
Astrology Chart
Helpful Character Dev and Creation/Name Generators
How to Design a Character: From the Paedagog Roleplay Group

To Be Added:
Links to All Class Lectures

I like this thread. I can still use the name generator. But this thread still dosent solve my problem. I need people like characters, like the one's shown here. For my nations, as ambassadors, government ministers, parliament members MPs, and heads of states. But I cant pay a site for them, I would if I could. I know it sounds strange, that I cant pay for them, Its not about the money per say, but my personal reasons are very complicated. I guess I'm stuck?

As far as making up names, for Hispanic nations and others are easy. Felipe Garcia Rodriguez, gives me Felipe Garcia, and Felipe Rodriguez. Rosa Garcia Rodriguez, gives me Rosa Garcia, and Rosa Rodriguez. Two for one, or we can use the name generator. I can find those names on government sites, or any site with names. What is hard for me personally, is to choose a certain name for a certain nation. Its like picking a name out of thin air.
Last edited by NS Miami Shores on Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the worlds greatest Insomiac, I beat the worlds record every day. Am accountant by Profession I worked at major Defense contractor Corp Chicago. President Trump second greatest insomniac with 3 AM Tweets. President Trump is no gentle man. President Reagan gentleman no more make. I am Native Cuban and American citizen Alberto. President Ronald Reagan, the original Make America Great Again President greatest American President ever. Firs lady Nancy Reagan greatest ever. Viva President Trump 2020 Keep Making America Great Again. Second greatest America President ever. Proud conservative Republican Nationalist with slight libertarian economic streak. Proud Hispanic Latino Republican.

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:58 am

NS Miami Shores wrote:
I like this thread. I can still use the name generator. But this thread still dosent solve my problem. I need people like characters, like the one's shown here. For my nations, as ambassadors, government ministers, parliament members MPs, and heads of states. But I cant pay a site for them, I would if I could. I know it sounds strange, that I cant pay for them, Its not about the money per say, but my personal reasons are very complicated. I guess I'm stuck?

As far as making up names, for Hispanic nations and others are easy. Felipe Garcia Rodriguez, gives me Felipe Garcia, and Felipe Rodriguez. Rosa Garcia Rodriguez, gives me Rosa Garcia, and Rosa Rodriguez. Two for one, or we can use the name generator. I can find those names on government sites, or any site with names. What is hard for me personally, is to choose a certain name for a certain nation. Its like picking a name out of thin air.

I'm not sure that I fully understand your question. Because even if you could pay, none of these sites will accept money to create a character for you. All these websites are for is to help you create you own characters.

And what do you mean by, you "need people like characters". Are you asking to help create characters that readers will like? Or are you asking for helping creating characters that act like people?

I can however help you a little bit with your choosing names. Because, you did get that right; choosing names is literally picking a name out of thin air. Isn't that what all names are?

What I recommend is two methods:

1. The parents method:
Characters are very much like the author's children. You watch them grow up and accomplish things that you could only imagine (haha, literally). If they are characters that you use often, then they can become very close to you. So, choose character names like a parent would choose the names of their children. Think of your close friends,your close family, the members of your family that have passed away and those that you have only heard spoken of fondly, but you have never met. This can definitely help narrow down the vast selection of names. And then, it just comes down to saying the names out loud and figuring our what fits best with your character. Sometimes it is obvious. You don't want a little girl named Gladys, because that name often is associated with old people.

Or think of your character's parents, and your character's history. Were they brought up in a liberal, hippie society? A military household? Upbringing often narrows down the choices as well.

2. The Pick and Choose Method
This one takes very little thought. It is literally just saying names out loud until something fits.

Now, i have personally used both of these methods for different characters. One of my first characters I ever used on Nationstates is a woman named Diana Wolff. I used the first method with her. Diana is actually a female version of my father's name. It also sounds royal, which is exactly what I wanted, since she is the Queen of my country. Wolff I determined by thinking to what her favourite animal might be. I thought of a husky (Diana Husky does not sound good, so I switched it to Wolf and then added a f to make it different).

The second method I used for Zaira Timmel. I thought of her being a spy, assassin type lady, so I started shouting out names until I found one I was happy with.

Of course, with all naming, it comes down to personal opinion. you may not be perfectly happy with the name you pick, but there is a chance that the name begins to suit the character more and more as you use them more. This happened with King Benner, Diana's father. Strange name, but I stuck with it at the beginning because i needed a name. I thought I would just change it later, but the more I used the name, the better is started to sound. And now it is a common name brought up in my stories.
She/Her
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook

NS Miami Shores
Diplomat

Postby NS Miami Shores » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:07 pm

Rhodevus wrote:
NS Miami Shores wrote:

I'm not sure that I fully understand your question. Because even if you could pay, none of these sites will accept money to create a character for you. All these websites are for is to help you create you own characters.

And what do you mean by, you "need people like characters". Are you asking to help create characters that readers will like? Or are you asking for helping creating characters that act like people?

I can however help you a little bit with your choosing names. Because, you did get that right; choosing names is literally picking a name out of thin air. Isn't that what all names are?

1. The parents method:
Characters are very much like the author's children. You watch them grow up and accomplish things that you could only imagine (haha, literally). If they are characters that you use often, then they can become very close to you. So, choose character names like a parent would choose the names of their children. Think of your close friends,your close family, the members of your family that have passed away and those that you have only heard spoken of fondly, but you have never met. This can definitely help narrow down the vast selection of names. And then, it just comes down to saying the names out loud and figuring our what fits best with your character. Sometimes it is obvious. You don't want a little girl named Gladys, because that name often is associated with old people.

Or think of your character's parents, and your character's history. Were they brought up in a liberal, hippie society? A military household? Upbringing often narrows down the choices as well.

This one takes very little thought. It is literally just saying names out loud until something fits.

Now, i have personally used both of these methods for different characters. One of my first characters I ever used on Nationstates is a woman named Diana Wolff. I used the first method with her. Diana is actually a female version of my father's name. It also sounds royal, which is exactly what I wanted, since she is the Queen of my country. Wolff I determined by thinking to what her favourite animal might be. I thought of a husky (Diana Husky does not sound good, so I switched it to Wolf and then added a f to make it different).

The second method I used for Zaira Timmel. I thought of her being a spy, assassin type lady, so I started shouting out names until I found one I was happy with.

Of course, with all naming, it comes down to personal opinion. you may not be perfectly happy with the name you pick, but there is a chance that the name begins to suit the character more and more as you use them more. This happened with King Benner, Diana's father. Strange name, but I stuck with it at the beginning because i needed a name. I thought I would just change it later, but the more I used the name, the better is started to sound. And now it is a common name brought up in my stories.

Thank you Rhodevus for responding back to me. Thanks for the tips. I don't care about military stuff, unless is a pic of military soldiers for my army. What I mean is people like characters, cartoon type characters to post, as businessman, businesswomen, ambassadors, government ministers, parliament members MPs, and heads of states. From sites like pineterest, shutters, bing, yahoo and many others, one has to pay for them. As far as names for certain nations, I just thought of it, or maybe I missed it on this thread, the meanings and origns of first names and surnames can help. Ill try to find some sites on the meanings and origins of first names and surnames, to post on this site if its ok with you? You can TG me anytime if you wish. Alberto. Anyone can TG me anytime on anything if they wish, I will answer back as soon as I can.

P.S. I guess, I can use Fred Flinstone, Barney Ruble, Willma, Betty, Mr Slate, Joe Rock Head, and others from the Flinstones to post as government officials. Other cartoons as well, like the Jetsons.
Last edited by NS Miami Shores on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the worlds greatest Insomiac, I beat the worlds record every day. Am accountant by Profession I worked at major Defense contractor Corp Chicago. President Trump second greatest insomniac with 3 AM Tweets. President Trump is no gentle man. President Reagan gentleman no more make. I am Native Cuban and American citizen Alberto. President Ronald Reagan, the original Make America Great Again President greatest American President ever. Firs lady Nancy Reagan greatest ever. Viva President Trump 2020 Keep Making America Great Again. Second greatest America President ever. Proud conservative Republican Nationalist with slight libertarian economic streak. Proud Hispanic Latino Republican.

NS Miami Shores
Diplomat

Postby NS Miami Shores » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Rhodevus, I just found this link. I hope you can use it on your stikies: I hope its good, it has lots of name origins not just Slavic, check it out:

http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/sl ... MMs2IWcGUk

Common Territories
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2011

Postby Common Territories » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:10 pm

NS Miami Shores wrote:
Rhodevus wrote:

1. The parents method:

Thank you Rhodevus for responding back to me. Thanks for the tips. I don't care about military stuff, unless is a pic of military soldiers for my army. What I mean is people like characters, cartoon type characters to post, as businessman, businesswomen, ambassadors, government ministers, parliament members MPs, and heads of states. From sites like pineterest, shutters, bing, yahoo and many others, one has to pay for them. As far as names for certain nations, I just thought of it, or maybe I missed it on this thread, the meanings and origns of first names and surnames can help. Ill try to find some sites on the meanings and origins of first names and surnames, to post on this site if its ok with you? You can TG me anytime if you wish. Alberto. Anyone can TG me anytime on anything if they wish, I will answer back as soon as I can.

P.S. I guess, I can use Fred Flinstone, Barney Ruble, Willma, Betty, Mr Slate, Joe Rock Head, and others from the Flinstones to post as government officials. Other cartoons as well, like the Jetsons.

Are you trying to say that people only like eye candy (pictures of characters/anything in general)? If so I'd disagree somewhat, but pictures do say a thousand words. Regardless, you don't have to pay some random website or corporation to use a picture here. A lot of the time it's one google images search away and blam, some random picture of some random chap you found on google images in a post you've made.

NS Miami Shores
Diplomat

Postby NS Miami Shores » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:26 pm

Common Territories wrote:
NS Miami Shores wrote:

Are you trying to say that people only like eye candy (pictures of characters/anything in general)? If so I'd disagree somewhat, but pictures do say a thousand words. Regardless, you don't have to pay some random website or corporation to use a picture here. A lot of the time it's one google images search away and blam, some random picture of some random chap you found on google images in a post you've made.

Thanks Common Territories. I'm going to take a modified version of your suggestion, at least for a few pics. I'm a pic aholic, I cant help it. Like to RP with real world statistics, RW persons, RW nations and regional nation names as much as possible, with my own NS RP twists. I understand we all cant be RW, and regional nation names, in this crazy NS world we live in. I have some non world named nations as well. But hardly do any political RPs with them. Love NS, RPs, math, accounting, bookkeeping, records, statistics, percentages %, history, geography, biographies, I'm a pic aholic, map aholic and copy holic, I want to place some of this on my signature, cant remember how to do it. Been trying, been to the UCP and cant do it right. Its been a long time since.
Last edited by NS Miami Shores on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solarius great
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 06, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Solarius great » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:41 am

How do I add pictures? I'm dumb. :?

Cyrden
Secretary

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrden » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:55 am

Hello!

I'm going to be making a lot of new characters so I just wanted to have this handy.

P.S. Hi Rhodevus!

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:44 pm

Solarius great wrote:How do I add pictures? I'm dumb. :?

you add pictures by finding them online, or using your favourite image website (I use imgur)

and then, taking the link to that picture and putting it inside the [img].[/img] boxes.
She/Her

Factbook

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:45 pm

Cyrden wrote:Hello!

I'm going to be making a lot of new characters so I just wanted to have this handy.

P.S. Hi Rhodevus!

Well, if you ever need help with building up the character, or any questions. Or even any lectures you want added to this thread, feel free to ask away here.

And hi!
She/Her

Factbook

Cyrden
Secretary

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrden » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:02 pm

Rhodevus wrote:
Cyrden wrote:Hello!

P.S. Hi Rhodevus!

Well, if you ever need help with building up the character, or any questions. Or even any lectures you want added to this thread, feel free to ask away here.

And hi!

I'm quite familiar with characterization. I just get a bit unoriginal sometimes.

Technologist Communes
Envoy

Founded: Apr 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Technologist Communes » Sat May 13, 2017 9:07 am

James Dotler is the current pres. of my nation. He is in his early 40s (haven't decided how old he should be). He is a proud man, and thinks very well of his nation. He tends to not like it when there are problems, and tends to be a bit of a perfectionist. He is a member of the Labor Love Organization, the ruling party. He also has a high regard for his security ( and therfore the nation's) and makes all sorts of decisions to save the country's skin every now and then, even if they hurt. Hope you like my design.
Our population is 70 million. Our military in total is 900,000 men strong. We use Late-Cold War to Early 2000s tech. We do not use NS stats.

A PROUD MEMBER OF THE EUCS!

Maria Ellis
Secretary

Founded: May 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Maria Ellis » Tue May 16, 2017 5:01 pm

Hello people. Kind of new to this game and I have a question for the people of this forum. I just recently designed the people in my government, and I wanted to know where people find visual models for their OCs. I see many nations have pictures of their leaders in their factbook and I was wondering where I could find visual designs for my characters. I do go into detail about their appearance in my factbook, but currently I don't have any images. I wanted to use a picture of Frida Kahlo to represent my nation's leader, but for some reason using pics of real people kind of weirds me out? Where do you all find pictures of your characters?

The Supreme Leader of my nation is a strong woman by the name of Sofija Grazia, short, Latin, in her late 30's. She is serious and analytical. She supports minorities and the working class, is outspoken but diplomatic, and has great pride in her nation. Her left and right hand Council members are Vedastus De Sauveterre and Kazuko Tanaka. You can read more in detail here.
https://www.nationstates.net/nation=mar ... /id=825022

I welcome any feedback on how to make the story better and my characters more realistic. If you have any images you think I should use or know some kind of database to find models for characters that would be really helpful too.
Last edited by Maria Ellis on Tue May 16, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1111111111Love your trans sisters.Love your trans men.111111111111

Sex and gender are not always the same.
I'm an educated queer and I will fight you on this.

"I asked her whether, as a proof of our friendship, we should feel one another’s breasts, but she refused. I go into ecstasies every time I see the naked figure of a woman, such as Venus, for example. It strikes me as so wonderful and exquisite that I have difficulty in stopping the tears rolling down my cheeks. If only I had a girlfriend!"
-Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl page 130 to 131

United Republic of Lepala
Envoy

Founded: Jul 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Emperor Lepa

Postby United Republic of Lepala » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:04 pm

Name: Emperor Lepa
Alignment: Lepal Dynasty
Height: 6'4"
Physical Features: Medium skin tone, green eyes, black hair
Outfit: Gold armor, black cape, gold crown
Achievements: Uniting the peninsula of Lepala, founding the Lepal Dynasty, conquering the Golden Isles, building the Temple of Grochan
Personality: Short temper when insulted, otherwise very reasonable, slightly egocentric, devout Quetarian (Ancient religion of Lepala)
The Elected Emperor is just a democratically elected official who is in office for life. No monarchy involved. I don't get what's hard to understand.
This nation does represent my political beliefs.
Ask questions here.
Democratic Empire of Romania wrote:A gift which flyes and when lands it does some radioactive boom-boom
Destructive Government Economic System wrote:Strangling deranged terrorists with octopus legs before throwing their limp bodies into the Bermuda Triangle.

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:11 pm

Well, let's try something a bit different to build on our characters. Here's a question to help you expand on your characters. While this information may not be vital to your character in books or roleplay, it can make your character feel more human.

So, what are some of your character's Hobbies?

Queen Diana Wolff has many hobbies, but the most well known are hiking, rock-climbing and off-roading. She has often remarked that she has hiked in nearly every country in Sunalaya. She has also climbed Mount Benner; the tallest mountain in Rhodevus, among other tall mountains, during her youth. Diana was once proficient in the piano, flute and clarinet, but is quite out of practice in all three. Diana is still the official Head Editor for a newspaper she began in high school known as the Children's Gazette (currently 1.1 million readers). A very common sight around the Imperial Palace, is to see Queen Diana in the kitchens, cooking meals along with the kitchen staff. She has loved cooking since her mother began teaching her at the age of 3. Although it still remains a secret, Diana has often helped in the cooking of large meals that are served at international dinners and meetings held in Rhodevus. The final hobby worth sharing is Diana's passion for Kuhngya-wei; a form of Sukansi; one of the two primary martial arts styles originating in Rhodevus. (She also loves mathematics, but that was her education, not so much a hobby)
She/Her

Factbook

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information