NATION

PASSWORD

Map Feedback Please?

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
The Virtus Islands
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Map Feedback Please?

Postby The Virtus Islands » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:47 pm

Hello everyone, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I was hoping for some feedback on this map, please list anything you like, don't like, or think I could improve, thanks!

The map can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/u1hQMT1.png

(Also, the cities will have names eventually, I just haven't got around to naming them yet)
Last edited by The Virtus Islands on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lzherusskia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lzherusskia » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:18 pm

It looks excellent. I wouldn't think twice if I saw that on Wikipedia, and I'd happily use a similar one if you made it for me.

New Ravania
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 22, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby New Ravania » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:25 pm

Not sure if this is the place for it, but it looks good. Don't care too much for the smoothness of the Islands, but that's just a personal preference.
Last edited by New Ravania on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allancia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Allancia » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:26 pm

I actually really like it. The colorization and city marking is spot on. Putting the eagle on the key was really smart.
"One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures."
-George Bush

Spoder
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Top quality. It looks almost professional.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

Lyncanestria
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lyncanestria » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:37 pm

Why name the islands after seasons of the year?
Pop: 64,854,527 | At arms: 227,895 (314,712 reserve)
GDP: NSD $3.099 trillion (2.869 ƒ) trillion | GDP/c: $44,371
Emperor: Philippe VIII | PM: Luc Mariard
: Vehicular accident kills 3, including Fleury CF striker :: Burgoyard seperatist demonstrations turn violent in Jugny :: After a term out of office, Mariard regains Premiership :: Emperor undertakes official visit to Vannois :: Baudelaire Systems unveil newest phone, the Astro 4 :: Moulins declares Caeseti regime "illegitimate" :

Allancia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Allancia » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:38 pm

Lyncanestria wrote:Why name the islands after seasons of the year?

Only French speaking people will understand.
"One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures."
-George Bush

Phalnia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Phalnia » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:40 pm

Really nice.

"The air up there in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious. And why shouldn't it be? - it is the same the angels breathe." Mark Twain
“Don't feel entitled to anything you didn't sweat and struggle for.” Marian Wright Edelman

Dundee Derry
Envoy

Founded: May 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dundee Derry » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:44 pm

Awesome looking map. Can you tell us what programs/ techniques you used? I'm trying to make my own maps atm, and they look a bit shoddy in comparison.
Last edited by Dundee Derry on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people."-John Hume
Ruaridhism: The notion that everything everywhere is dependent on a little man with a mustache called Ruaridh.
Economic Left/Right: -8.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

Can we stop this habit of writing in really tiny writing? It's not clever and it's not funny. Some of us are short-sighted, and find it really difficult to read. Please? Thank you!

Allancia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Allancia » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:57 pm

Dundee Derry wrote:Awesome looking map. Can you tell us what programs/ techniques you used? I'm trying to make my own maps atm, and they look a bit shoddy in comparison.

Now that you say that, I would like some instructions on how to make something like this.
-George Bush

The Virtus Islands
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Virtus Islands » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:46 pm

Dundee Derry wrote:Awesome looking map. Can you tell us what programs/ techniques you used? I'm trying to make my own maps atm, and they look a bit shoddy in comparison.

I used Adobe Illustrator, you can download a trial that'll last 30 days, there's plenty of tutorials online for it.

As far as techniques go, the pen tool is your friend and so is working in phases, it's very tempting to starting positioning cities and roads immediately, but I think it's best to put details on your maps in the order they would have appeared in the real world.

Here are, roughly, the steps I took: http://i.imgur.com/b26nDKX.jpg

1 ) Decide on the basic shape of the land
2 ) Using the Add Anchor Point Tool, make more points in the line and fiddle with them a bit to make the land a bit more rugged
3 ) Begin to add terrain elevation
4 ) Complete it with extra layers of the higher peaks, remember not to go too wild
5 ) Add some final terrain touches, in this case, I added smaller islands
6 ) Begin to plot your roads, if people were to drive across your nation, which route would they most likely take?
7 ) Add more roads, they're the best way to illustrate population density
8 ) Add your major towns and cities, again, keep which areas you want to be more densly populated and your nations total population in mind (for example, in the cities shown on this map, Virtus' population is somewhere between 8 million and 17 million)

In terms of realism, keep looking at real maps, you'll get a better feel of city and road layout as well as the common design conventions of maps.

Also, if you're using islands, consider how continental drift would effect their shape, they shouldn't fit together perfectly as erosion would make this impossible, to help you get a better idea of what I mean, here is how my islands "fit" together and likely would have looked millions of years ago: http://i.imgur.com/baG8TWJ.png

Hope this helps, good luck!

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:01 pm

The CYOE thread is more suited for this, but that's an amazing map.
this guy is a fucking furry and a therian
Btw, here's my IC flag

"Purp go to bed." - Nirvash Type TheEnd

The Virtus Islands
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby The Virtus Islands » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:21 pm

Yukonastan wrote:The CYOE thread is more suited for this, but that's an amazing map.

Thank you, I've been away from NS for a few years so wasn't quite sure, I'll post it there

Dundee Derry
Envoy

Founded: May 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dundee Derry » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:53 pm

:) :) Thanks for the help. Bookmarked for future reference.
Last edited by Dundee Derry on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I never thought in terms of being a leader. I thought very simply in terms of helping people."-John Hume
Ruaridhism: The notion that everything everywhere is dependent on a little man with a mustache called Ruaridh.
Economic Left/Right: -8.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

Can we stop this habit of writing in really tiny writing? It's not clever and it's not funny. Some of us are short-sighted, and find it really difficult to read. Please? Thank you!

Trevor Phillip Enterprises
Minister

Founded: Oct 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Trevor Phillip Enterprises » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:55 pm

Just one thing I say you ought to put in are major cities names, maybe even landmarks. Otherwise you got an excellent map.
Last edited by Trevor Phillip Enterprises on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently being edited by Pablo Escobar since Thu Jul 09, 1983 10:37 am.
CALLING ALL ANTI-PONYISTS!
-∮ The Crumpet Cult ∮-

Allied Connurist States
Minister

Founded: Jul 15, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Allied Connurist States » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:57 pm

Wow, that is a top-notch map! : D
Brytene wrote:brb gonna goteach some spanish people the secrets of a tasty lancashire hotpot as part of my secret imperialist ambitions

#ValaranSoSexy | I BELIEVE IN THE EASTER CAMEL | Excellent Stallion-Like Gentleman, Commander of Ugandan Skies, Rabbipriest of Amin Temple Kampala, Commissar of DPRK State Facilities, of Excellent Stallion-Like Affairs ,and of Internet Surveillance.Glory to Idi Amin! Remove the Obote scum!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information