NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Tranche 7

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Padnak
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:33 pm

Against any army in Europe they'd probably win, same goes if they fought the Chinese (unlikely as it is, it could still happen for some unforeseen reason)

the only nation that would do what you described to them would 'Murica
"มีใบมีดคมและจิตใจที่คมชัด!"
Have a sharp blade, and a sharper mind!
Need weapons for dubious purposes? Buy Padarm today!
San-Silvacian: Aug 11, 2011-Mar 20, 2015
Inquilabstan wrote:It is official now. Padnak is really Cobra Commander.

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Husseinarti wrote:Powered Borscht.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Immoren wrote:Again we've sexual tension that can be cut with a bowie.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:40 pm

Britain and Poland are quite capable of taking Vlad on conventionally.
Restore the Crown

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:50 pm

Questers wrote:Britain and Poland are quite capable of taking Vlad on conventionally.

I thought we established before that Britain isn't in Europe because its special lol

I didn't think Poland was all that much of a military power, but hey

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Triplebaconation
Senator

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:57 pm

Questers wrote:Britain and Poland are quite capable of taking Vlad on conventionally.

Even if the effete "Royal Hussies" managed to stand up to thousands of ARMATA terror tanks (any year now), the Russians would just unleash their secret weapon - BMP-3s with traverse and elevation indicators.

On the plus side the Chunnel would make Dunkirk easier.
Last edited by Triplebaconation on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:59 pm

Purpelia wrote:Does anyone know anything about the Chinese http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZBD-97 aside from the Wikipedia link?
Google keeps turning up nothing useful when ever I try to find it.

It's an odd duck. I half think that it was originally intended as a Naval Infantry because it's large size (some stats claim it is almost identical to the BMP-3 in size, but this is hard to swallow), light weight, water jets and bow ramp all suggest swimming performance was a very big factor in the design. Which would be very unusual for an army IFV. And the trade offs are significant. It has a big profile, very little armor and limited gun depression. It probably swims better than almost any other general purpose IFV or APC though.

The newer ZBD-08 eliminates the water jets and bow ramps, has added additional armor, looks to have a slightly lower profile and is generally better adapted for land combat rather than amphibious landings.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:02 pm

Restore the Crown

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:05 pm

Doesn't the ZDU-08 have some sort of fancy inflating pontoon looking things it uses to get across water? I remember seeing a picture of something like that, but given china and its need to develop 9000 different vehicles I could be mistaking it with something else

Korva
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 22, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Korva » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:07 pm

Padnak wrote:Doesn't the ZDU-08 have some sort of fancy inflating pontoon looking things it uses to get across water? I remember seeing a picture of something like that, but given china and its need to develop 9000 different vehicles I could be mistaking it with something else

Korean K21 has pontoons.

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:08 pm

Questers wrote:https://medium.com/war-is-boring/dont-mess-with-poland-2ae1e101196d

Poland is a serious thing.

Poland can into defence of Europe

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:42 pm

Padnak wrote:I thought we established before that Britain isn't in Europe because its special lol

I didn't think Poland was all that much of a military power, but hey

They have same number of tank brigades as Russia. Four.

Russia has a big edge in the number of motorized brigades, 34 to Poland's 6, but the Russian forces are currently ~20-30% under strength because of the demographic crisis and a fair number of these brigades are likely both undermanned and equipped with ancient equipment. On paper the Russian army also has fifteen more brigade "mobilization bases" (1 tank, 14 Motorized) but seeing as they cannot even find enough quality manpower to fill out the active forces, these brigades could likely only be mobilized by scrapping the very bottom of the barrel.

Russia would certainly be able to defeat Poland alone. Russia has important advantages, like large stockpiles of munitions, that most NATO members lack. But even the addition of two or three NATO divisions to the equation, plus American supplies, would likely make it impossible for Russia to win barring some truly superb Generalship. They wouldn't even be able to achieve the magic 3-to-1 ratio without mustering their entire army on the Polish border, which is implausible for many reasons. Including that it would leave the Russian far east enormously vulnerable to an attack by PACOM. In the air they would likely be outnumbered. At sea, if America is involved, it is not even a meaningful contest.

Basically Russia is encircled by NATO, which threatens them in eastern Europe, Scandinavia, the Caucasus and Black sea, and the far East. And given the gargantuan disparity between the USN and the Russian Navy, Russia's only real non-nuclear defense against potential US intervention and an attack from the sea is to station significant land and air forces in every theater, preventing them from concentrating their forces in any conflict where the US might plausibly become involved. A war with Poland obviously meets this criteria.

Russia's rearmament plan, if it succeeds, will swing the land and possible air balance more in it's favor. But the naval balance will remain overwhelmingly tilted towards America and this will remain a real big headache for any Russian leader contemplating a major conventional conflict with NATO. The USSR had enough divisions to fight NATO in every direction at once. But Russia does not and for both demographic and economic reasons probably never will.

Poland's trump card is that they can devote all of their limited resources to the east. Can they beat the whole Russian military? No. Can they beat the force that Russia would likely be able to muster against them? Plausible. Unless Russia goes nuclear that is.
RIP
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
Leopard 2 IRL

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:14 pm

The Kievan People wrote:-snip-

Interesting

I suppose Russias vast size is more of a determent then it is a benefit, if only because it means their more limited (relative to the amount of territory they have to protect) can't be concentrated

Speaking of a war on the sea, I know that during the cold war the soviet sub fleet was quite the thing, how is the current Russian sub fleet? I would imagine its in pretty rough shape but it would make a bit of sense if it fared better then the surface fleet (with Russia placing as much stock in nuclear weapons for defence as they do)

The Greater Luthorian Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Luthorian Empire » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:36 pm

Questers wrote:https://medium.com/war-is-boring/dont-mess-with-poland-2ae1e101196d

Poland is a serious thing.

Poland stronk maybe I should start rooting for them instead of the Czechs in international competitions.
Last edited by The Greater Luthorian Empire on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imperializt Russia wrote:They told me I could be anything, so I became a razor blade.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:38 pm

Padnak wrote:Speaking of a war on the sea, I know that during the cold war the soviet sub fleet was quite the thing, how is the current Russian sub fleet? I would imagine its in pretty rough shape but it would make a bit of sense if it fared better then the surface fleet (with Russia placing as much stock in nuclear weapons for defence as they do)

Not what it used to be. The USN has 53 SSNs. Russia has 16. Only one of which was not laid down in the USSR. They also have 17 conventional attack submarines.

American submarine building did not slow appreciably after the end of the Cold War so their fleet is highly modern. The oldest Los Angeles was commissioned in 1981. Russian submarine building nearly stopped after the end of the USSR and virtually everything commissioned between 1991 and the late 2000s was laid down prior to the break up.
RIP
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
Leopard 2 IRL

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:31 pm

I have no idea what my armored doctrine is going to be called, but it'll be a "two-tier" armored core consisting of MBTs and tank destroyers.
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:34 pm

The Kievan People wrote:Russia would certainly be able to defeat Poland alone.

The Polish plan against the Germans was to forfeit the country west of the Vistula and use the river as a defensive point. Against Russia it would be the reverse. The terrain is favorable for Poland.

Chechnya revealed Russia's weakness. Versus modern AT infantry, Russia would easily fall.
The Kievan People wrote: like large stockpiles of munitions,

Obsolete munitions. And friction is a thing. Tank rounds get improperly stored and become wet, reducing their velocity by 100 fps.
The Kievan People wrote:magic 3-to-1 ratio
The Nazis had a magic 1 to 1 ratio against the French and British.
The Kievan People wrote:Can they beat the whole Russian military?

Yes.
Oaledonia wrote:I have no idea what my armored doctrine is going to be called, but it'll be a "two-tier" armored core consisting of MBTs and tank destroyers.
Mine is two-tier of tank-IFVs and 70 tonne tanks.
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Factbook [url=iiwiki.com/wiki/Corporate_Confederacy]Wiki Article[/url]
Neptonia

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:38 pm

Rich and Corporations wrote:

The Polish plan against the Germans was to forfeit the country west of the Vistula and use the river as a defensive point. Against Russia it would be the reverse. The terrain is favorable for Poland.

Chechnya revealed Russia's weakness. Versus modern AT infantry, Russia would easily fall.

Obsolete munitions. And friction is a thing. Tank rounds get improperly stored and become wet, reducing their velocity by 100 fps.

Yes.
Oaledonia wrote:I have no idea what my armored doctrine is going to be called, but it'll be a "two-tier" armored core consisting of MBTs and tank destroyers.

The IFVs go with the MBTs, mine isn't going to be good at all :P
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

Krazakistan
Negotiator

Founded: May 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Krazakistan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:40 pm

Yes.

I would argue that Chechnya revealed that Russia's weakness (at the time) was incompetent leadership and piss poor coordination between military and government forces.
Secularism, restricted immigration policy, against affirmative action, voter ID laws, gun rights, democracy, free-market capitalism, egalitarianism, nationalism, and lastly, Rhodesia > Zimbabwe

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.56
"On the other hand, and let's face it, there's always another hand, unless you're a Saudi Arabian shoplifter of course, hurt feelings can be quite traumatic. I've heard that it can take seconds, sometimes even minutes, to get over it" ~ Pat Condell

"Communism works only in heaven, where they don't need it, and in hell, where they've already got it." ~ Ronald Reagan

"Communism was a mistake" ~ (((((((((Karl Marx)))))))))
CANT STUMP THE TRUMP

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:43 pm

Yes.

In the scheme of things, is 100 fps really such a loss?
this guy is a fucking furry and a therian
Btw, here's my IC flag

"Purp go to bed." - Nirvash Type TheEnd

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:45 pm

Yukonastan wrote:100 fps really such a loss?

It's a drop of a few feet after a few hundred yards, so kinda.
Krazakistan wrote:I would argue that Chechnya revealed that Russia's weakness (at the time) was incompetent leadership and piss poor coordination between military and government forces.
So.

It's organized like most armies in the world?
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Factbook [url=iiwiki.com/wiki/Corporate_Confederacy]Wiki Article[/url]
Neptonia

Krazakistan
Negotiator

Founded: May 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Krazakistan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:50 pm

Krazakistan wrote:I would argue that Chechnya revealed that Russia's weakness (at the time) was incompetent leadership and piss poor coordination between military and government forces.
So.

Besides it's need of modernization, yeah.

Edit: did not see the word " organized." :palm:

Russia has, to my understanding, moved to more of a western style of organization with their transition to the brigade system. They're still diffferent from NATO organization, for sure, but they are similar in a few aspects.
Last edited by Krazakistan on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secularism, restricted immigration policy, against affirmative action, voter ID laws, gun rights, democracy, free-market capitalism, egalitarianism, nationalism, and lastly, Rhodesia > Zimbabwe

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.56
"On the other hand, and let's face it, there's always another hand, unless you're a Saudi Arabian shoplifter of course, hurt feelings can be quite traumatic. I've heard that it can take seconds, sometimes even minutes, to get over it" ~ Pat Condell

"Communism works only in heaven, where they don't need it, and in hell, where they've already got it." ~ Ronald Reagan

"Communism was a mistake" ~ (((((((((Karl Marx)))))))))
CANT STUMP THE TRUMP

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:56 pm

So.

How much is a few feet really?
I can understand if you aim at the tracks, but is a few feet really that much of a problem when flanking a tank?
this guy is a fucking furry and a therian
Btw, here's my IC flag

"Purp go to bed." - Nirvash Type TheEnd

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:59 pm

Yukonastan wrote:I can understand if you aim at the tracks, but is a few feet really that much of a problem when flanking a tank?
When vertical dispersion is also a few feet, it means that from a 100% of hitting the target, it might drop to 50%... or less.
Modern munitions make it harder for crews to figure out and correct for trajectory drops.

Neo-Bolshevik Eurasia
Civil Servant

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo-Bolshevik Eurasia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:01 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Neo-Bolshevik Eurasia on Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Afro-Euasia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Afro-Euasia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:44 pm

The mogolian type 1-70 battle tank and the Flying horse guntruck
Wars:6 Wins:4 Lost:1
Generation 33 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)
DEFCON 1-Nuclear war,DEFCON 2-War(Close to nukie nukie)DEFCON 3-Military moblized,high alert.DEFCON 2-Miltiary read in 7min.DEFCON 1-Peace

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:50 pm

Kyiv does make a good point re munitions. I will use Britain as an example because I know more about it and its the most likely Euro country to assist Poland militarily.

The RAF has on paper enough Eurofighters to turn any Russian concentration of aircraft to scrap. On paper. In reality tho, the Typhoon fleet is not in a good shape. Parts are being cannabalised. How many ASRAAM or AMRAAM does the RAF have in stock? How much spares for its aircraft? Etc.

All countries have paper and reality strengths and weaknesses. That said - I do not think Russia could mass enough conventional forces to take Poland if Poland was supported by at least one other major NATO power.
Restore the Crown

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information