NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Tranche 7

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:48 pm

Purpelia wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Why did Russia even make the BMP-3? As has been stated multiple times in this thread alone, the BMP-2 is a far superior vehicle.

Just because some people here think it's bad does not make it so. There is also a vocal group who supports it as the best thing since the BMP-1. Some of us are just tired of rehashing the same pointless arguments over and over again with a group that can't be convinced anyway.

Because it sucks, and you're wrong.
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:49 pm

Purpelia wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Why did Russia even make the BMP-3? As has been stated multiple times in this thread alone, the BMP-2 is a far superior vehicle.

Just because some people here think it's bad does not make it so. There is also a vocal group who supports it as the best thing since the BMP-1. Some of us are just tired of rehashing the same pointless arguments over and over again with a group that can't be convinced anyway.

Are you one of the ones who supports it?

It fails completely in its role, and the BMP-2 could easily beat out the 100mm gun's anti-tank capabilities with an ATGM.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:55 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Just because some people here think it's bad does not make it so. There is also a vocal group who supports it as the best thing since the BMP-1. Some of us are just tired of rehashing the same pointless arguments over and over again with a group that can't be convinced anyway.

Are you one of the ones who supports it?

It fails completely in its role, and the BMP-2 could easily beat out the 100mm gun's anti-tank capabilities with an ATGM.

See what I mean. You are just one of the people parroting the same line ignoring the big picture. And that is that the BMP-3 is as a vehicle designed to operate within the greater doctrine of the Soviet armed forces. And that it was designed to fit that doctrine. This includes facts such as 100mm ATGM's being perfectly adequate to combat tanks of the time.

But it really does not matter. I lost all respect for you people back when you were comparing tanks assuming that the only thing that matters is how they perform 1 vs 1 across an open field.

And yes, in case you are wondering I am having a really, really bad day today. And so am extra cynical and hateful.
Last edited by Purpelia on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:57 pm

Purpelia wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Are you one of the ones who supports it?

See what I mean. You are just one of the people parroting the same line ignoring the big picture. And that is that the BMP-3 is as a vehicle designed to operate within the greater doctrine of the Soviet armed forces. And that it was designed to fit that doctrine. This includes facts such as 100mm ATGM's being perfectly adequate to combat tanks of the time.

But it really does not matter. I lost all respect for you people back when you were comparing tanks assuming that the only thing that matters is how they perform 1 vs 1 across an open field.

And yes, in case you are wondering I am having a really, really bad day today. And so am extra cynical and hateful.

What role in Soviet doctrine does it fulfill? And come on, we're fellow communists, we've gotta be comradely toward one another.
Last edited by United Marxist Nations on Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:58 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:What role in Soviet doctrine does it fulfill?

I'll let our resident expert for all things Russian cover that. Am too hateful right now.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Krazakistan
Negotiator

Founded: May 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Krazakistan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:58 pm

The Kievan People wrote:
Krazakistan wrote:How come the BMPV-64 hasn't been brought up yet? It would be possible to up-gun the turret to a 100mm gun without losing a considerable amount of space for the dismounts. I mean, the damn thing already has room for 12 dismounts + a turret with a 30mm A/C. The only disadvantage it would have to a BMP-2/3 would be it doesn't have amphibious capability and is a larger vehicle.

How do you figure?

The turret does not penetrate the hull. It is literally an example of what I was talking about before. But fitting a 100mm cannon in there without penetrating the hull or fitting an absolutely massive turret would be a real trick. If you put an actual turret on it you probably lose half the dismounts.

I figured that since the BMPV-64 already has a large troop compartment you'd be able to mount a 100mm gun on it without losing most of the dismounts, but it seems that I was wrong about that. :T

6 dismounts wouldn't be bad, though.

Anemos Major wrote:
Krazakistan wrote:The VDV does use vehicles based on the PT-76's chasis, though.

Not since 1969 onwards, I think.

What I meant was " did use," sorry.
Last edited by Krazakistan on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Secularism, restricted immigration policy, against affirmative action, voter ID laws, gun rights, democracy, free-market capitalism, egalitarianism, nationalism, and lastly, Rhodesia > Zimbabwe

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.56
"On the other hand, and let's face it, there's always another hand, unless you're a Saudi Arabian shoplifter of course, hurt feelings can be quite traumatic. I've heard that it can take seconds, sometimes even minutes, to get over it" ~ Pat Condell

"Communism works only in heaven, where they don't need it, and in hell, where they've already got it." ~ Ronald Reagan

"Communism was a mistake" ~ (((((((((Karl Marx)))))))))
CANT STUMP THE TRUMP

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:25 pm

Purpelia wrote:See what I mean. You are just one of the people parroting the same line ignoring the big picture. And that is that the BMP-3 is as a vehicle designed to operate within the greater doctrine of the Soviet armed forces. And that it was designed to fit that doctrine. This includes facts such as 100mm ATGM's being perfectly adequate to combat tanks of the time.

BMP-3 started coming into service in 1987. Arkan/Bastion most certainly wasn't adequate, and the Soviets would've known that, having been at the forefront of ERA development themselves.

If the 'greater doctrine of the Soviet armed forces' stipulates that a single vehicle has to fulfill the simultaneous triple role of an assault gun, tank destroyer and infantry fighting vehicle, I think Soviet doctrine needs a bit of an overhaul. And given how radically different the forthcoming Kurganets proposal is at a fundamental level, I'd say the Russians agree.

It's precisely because we're not comparing vehicles in terms of their 1 v. 1 performance on an open field that we can say that the BMP-3 isn't an ideal vehicle - and that's beyond the simpler problems like the venting of propellant gases into the crew compartment that originally plagued the vehicle.

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:26 pm

Krazakistan wrote:What I meant was " did use," sorry.

I make the same sort of mistake all the time myself. :P

Just thought it important to highlight that all of the AFVs the VDV currently use are essentially derived from the BMDs.

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:35 pm

This guys has poor egomaniacs. Doesn't it?

The thing in front of the grenade magazine is a attempt at a bayonet lug.
Last edited by Zeinbrad on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:36 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:(Image)

This is the MGV thread, Brad. not the MMW or CYOE thread.
Just FYI.
this guy is a fucking furry and a therian
Btw, here's my IC flag

"Purp go to bed." - Nirvash Type TheEnd

EsToVnIa
Senator

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:36 pm

This isn't the gun thread
Most Heavenly State/Khamgiin Tengerleg Uls

Weeaboo Gassing Land wrote:Also, rev up the gas chambers.

The United States of North Amerigo wrote:CUNT

12:02:02 AM <Tarsas> premislyd is my spirit animal tbh

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:37 pm

Yukonastan wrote:
Zeinbrad wrote:(Image)

This is the MGV thread, Brad. not the MMW or CYOE thread.
Just FYI.

Fuck. I was wondering why I didn't see it in the gun thread.

Then it hit me.
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:37 pm

Purp is a supporter of the BMP-3 because its not American and if it was American it would be automatically the worst thing ever and bad and never be good at anything.

Even though it pretty much already is.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:40 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:Purp is a supporter of the BMP-3 because its not American and if it was American it would be automatically the worst thing ever and bad and never be good at anything.

BMD-4M with BMP-3 turret = automatic improvement of BMD-4M.
this guy is a fucking furry and a therian
Btw, here's my IC flag

"Purp go to bed." - Nirvash Type TheEnd

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:40 pm

Estovnia wrote:

Because, due to there being no massive public works projects, russia needed something to distract the populace.

I thought they just wanted an MGS.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Padnak
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:41 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:Purp is a supporter of the BMP-3 because its not American and if it was American it would be automatically the worst thing ever and bad and never be good at anything.

I thought we decided that I was the irrational anti American hate monger

I feel a little cheated :(
"มีใบมีดคมและจิตใจที่คมชัด!"
Have a sharp blade, and a sharper mind!
Need weapons for dubious purposes? Buy Padarm today!
San-Silvacian: Aug 11, 2011-Mar 20, 2015
Inquilabstan wrote:It is official now. Padnak is really Cobra Commander.

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Husseinarti wrote:Powered Borscht.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Immoren wrote:Again we've sexual tension that can be cut with a bowie.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:41 pm

The Russians seem to agree with that assessment, considering they've only put 720 into service in nearly 30 years.

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:43 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:

The Russians seem to agree with that assessment, considering they've only put 720 into service in nearly 30 years.

Does Russia still produce BMP-2s?

I would assume for export, but are they actually fielding new ones themselves? It would seem logical to just create a production improved BMP-2 with the BMP-3s turret (if they're deadset on the 100mm) and call it a day

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:43 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:The Russians seem to agree with that assessment, considering they've only put 720 into service in nearly 30 years.

In case you failed to notice Russia hasn't had much of a budget for anything really good as far as hardware goes in the last 30 years. Just look at the aircraft they theoretically have and compare it to what is actually in the inventory.

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:48 pm

Purpelia wrote:In case you failed to notice Russia hasn't had much of a budget for anything really good as far as hardware goes in the last 30 years. Just look at the aircraft they theoretically have and compare it to what is actually in the inventory.

Popovkin trashed the BMP-3, the military stopped buying it and only resumed procurement with the caveat that it was an interim to be replaced down the line by Kurganets/Armata and co, presumably to keep Kurganmashzavod afloat.

Even taking the standards of the 90s-early 2000s Russian defence ministry into account, the BMP-3 isn't really a stellar vehicle.

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:49 pm

Purpelia wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:The Russians seem to agree with that assessment, considering they've only put 720 into service in nearly 30 years.

In case you failed to notice Russia hasn't had much of a budget for anything really good as far as hardware goes in the last 30 years. Just look at the aircraft they theoretically have and compare it to what is actually in the inventory.

God bless Putin's excessively jingoistic and militaristic view of the world :D

Now hopefully the Russian military will be get the budget it needs to pay for all the fancy equipment it wants, you know for REBUILDING THE SOVIET UNION THROUGH FORCE! peacekeeping in neighbouring nations

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:00 pm

to bad it will take decades for this to happen.

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:02 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:to bad it will take decades for this to happen.

For the Russian government to start dumping stupid amounts of money into defence?

Not sure if you've been under a rock for the past decade but Russia has been vastly increasing its defence spending and with things going how there going that pattern is unlikely to change

poverty be dammed!

*Edit*
Weather or not the Russian defence industry is up to the task at the moment remains to be scene, but generally when a state puts its mind into modernization and has an existing base to work from, modernization takes place very rapidly

see the modern PRC
Last edited by Padnak on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:06 pm

no its going to take them decades to build up a force that can actually be somewhat effective in a prolonged war.

Within a few months of a protracted war thats more than them beating up on former client states they already have bases in, they would quickly get ground into the dust.

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:24 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:no its going to take them decades to build up a force that can actually be somewhat effective in a prolonged war.

Within a few months of a protracted war thats more than them beating up on former client states they already have bases in, they would quickly get ground into the dust.

Depends on who they're fighting.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information