NATION

PASSWORD

The NS Infantry Discussion Thread, Model 4

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will be the next Master of Ceremonies for the new Infantry Discussion Thread?

Purpelia
11%
Dread Lady Nanticana
8%
Aqizithiuda
10%
Transnapastain
10%
GEUTest
3%
Nirvash Type TheEND
24%
Kouralia
29%
Assorted Sucrose Based Lifeforms
6%

Total votes : 63

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:48 pm

This hardly relates, however, to the original point of the debate.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

EsToVnIa
Senator

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:50 pm

Allanea wrote:This hardly relates, however, to the original point of the debate.

It does, however, relate to the fact that the discussion is off-topic :D
Most Heavenly State/Khamgiin Tengerleg Uls

Weeaboo Gassing Land wrote:Also, rev up the gas chambers.

The United States of North Amerigo wrote:CUNT

12:02:02 AM <Tarsas> premislyd is my spirit animal tbh

Arkandros
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkandros » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:50 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Arkandros wrote:Sorry, taking it to TG. I leave with an actual infantry idea: alt-history NotAxis NotAmerica Stg44 in .44 magnum; Y/N?

Why the fuck not?

Well, the obvious answer is because ".44 magnum SMG is stupid!" I assume I didn't get the edit up before your reply, so my question was more asking if the larger weight and size of a Stg44 relative to the average SMG could compensate for the greatly increased recoil and muzzle climb of the .44 magnum cartridge, when fired at 700-800 rounds/min.
“I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.”
John F. Kennedy

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:00 pm

Arkandros wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:
Why the fuck not?

Well, the obvious answer is because ".44 magnum SMG is stupid!" I assume I didn't get the edit up before your reply, so my question was more asking if the larger weight and size of a Stg44 relative to the average SMG could compensate for the greatly increased recoil and muzzle climb of the .44 magnum cartridge, when fired at 700-800 rounds/min.

It wouldn't end up being a .44 Magnum SMG. It would be a PDW.

EsToVnIa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:02 pm

Spreewerke wrote:
Arkandros wrote:Well, the obvious answer is because ".44 magnum SMG is stupid!" I assume I didn't get the edit up before your reply, so my question was more asking if the larger weight and size of a Stg44 relative to the average SMG could compensate for the greatly increased recoil and muzzle climb of the .44 magnum cartridge, when fired at 700-800 rounds/min.

The original MP44 was a PDW, after all.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:06 pm

Estovnia wrote:
Spreewerke wrote:

Not this argument again.

Arkandros
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkandros » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:13 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:
Estovnia wrote:

Not this argument again.

would someone care to clarify the exact difference? If I understand the definition of a PDW correctly, I think a automatic .44 Magnum firearm would still be a SMG, as the .44 magnum is a standard pistol-caliber round, not a HV necked cartridge.
“I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.”
John F. Kennedy

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:15 pm

The PDW is a myth invented by global militarist capitalism.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

New Tsavon
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Tsavon » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:17 pm

Allanea wrote:The PDW is a myth invented by global militarist capitalism.

I thought it was to sell SMGs to mallninjas.
Ave Nex Alea

Mallorea and Riva should resign

Arkandros
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkandros » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:18 pm

I thought it was just because FN wanted to advertise their P90 as "SO MUTHERFOCKIN UNIQUE!"
According to wikipedia, it is the use of necked, HV rounds that determine what is and isn't a PDW.
For example:
PP-2000 in 9x19: SMG.
pp-2000 in 9x19 7N21 (a subcaliber 9x19): PDW.
Last edited by Arkandros on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John F. Kennedy

Puzikas
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Puzikas » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:27 pm

Theres no real classification between PDW and SMG. The term PDW laps between SMG, Carbine, and somewhere inbetween

Its to fill the perceived gap between intermediates and pistols.

The PP-2000 however is always considered an SMG. Its bigger brother, The SR-2, might be better classified as a PDW
Sevvania wrote:I don't post much, but I am always here.
Usually waiting for Puz ;-;

Goodbye.

EsToVnIa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:29 pm

Arkandros wrote:

I thought it was just because FN wanted to advertise their P90 as "SO MUTHERFOCKIN UNIQUE!"
According to wikipedia, it is the use of necked, HV rounds that determine what is and isn't a PDW.
For example:

The M1 Carbine is the first PDW

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:31 pm

Puzikas wrote:Theres no real classification between PDW and SMG. The term PDW laps between SMG, Carbine, and somewhere inbetween

Its to fill the perceived gap between intermediates and pistols.

The PP-2000 however is always considered an SMG. Its bigger brother, The SR-2, might be better classified as a PDW

What would the PKM be? Isn't it a PDW? It defends your person while being a weapon, doesn't it?

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:33 pm

The PDW is a boojum, a chimera.

There's nothing a PDW does that cannot be accomplished better, and more cheaply by issuing M4A1s.
Last edited by Allanea on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:36 pm

Allanea wrote:The PDW is a boojum, a chimera.

There's nothing a PDW does that cannot be accomplished better, and more cheaply by issuing M4A1s.

You misspelled AKS-74U. Do you even slavperate?

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:44 pm

This is a valid point, I apologize.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Arkandros
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkandros » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:08 pm

I'm headed off to bed, but I figured I'd give you guys a link to the "professional" comparison of the recoil of a .44 Magnum against .50 AE done by Guns & Ammo. (I was trying to get an idea of how IMI does its .44 Magnum clips, for potential reference on the Stg44 .44 Magnum)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTwsk1eA2es
John F. Kennedy

EsToVnIa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:26 pm

OAL: 800 mm (stock extended); 600 mm (stock folded)
Cartridge: Some PDW round with a really high pressure. (Might just elongate standard issued pistol round)
Fed by quadstack-60 round mags

Realized that something like this, doctrinally, would be the ideal standard issued rifle for the Estovnian military given the close combat ranges that would be expected in a defensive war.

Padnak
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:53 pm

Stonk truthful nations like the soviet union russian federation don't have PDWs, they have carbines and sub machine guns
"มีใบมีดคมและจิตใจที่คมชัด!"
Have a sharp blade, and a sharper mind!
Need weapons for dubious purposes? Buy Padarm today!
San-Silvacian: Aug 11, 2011-Mar 20, 2015
Inquilabstan wrote:It is official now. Padnak is really Cobra Commander.

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Husseinarti wrote:Powered Borscht.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Immoren wrote:Again we've sexual tension that can be cut with a bowie.

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:50 pm

Estovnia wrote:(Image)

Cartridge: Some PDW round with a really high pressure. (Might just elongate standard issued pistol round)

Realized that something like this, doctrinally, would be the ideal standard issued rifle for the Estovnian military given the close combat ranges that would be expected in a defensive war.

Worst gun.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:54 pm

What is the purpose of issuing a firearm like this?

You've got the size, and practically the weight, of a rifle with only the firepower of a PDW.

Also, why are close ranges expected in a defensive war? It doesn't seem to follow.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

EsToVnIa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby EsToVnIa » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:19 pm

Allanea wrote:What is the purpose of issuing a firearm like this?

What isn't the purpose?

Allanea wrote:You've got the size, and practically the weight, of a rifle with only the firepower of a PDW.

No, I have a carbine, and practically the weight of an MP5A2, with the firepower equivalent to/possibly exceeding an AK-74.

Allanea wrote:Also, why are close ranges expected in a defensive war? It doesn't seem to follow.

Taiga is rather close knit.

The Archangel Conglomerate
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Archangel Conglomerate » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:47 pm

Puzikas wrote:The PP-2000 however is always considered an SMG. Its bigger brother, The SR-2, might be better classified as a PDW

Odd. I'd have figured it to be the other way around.

Top notch art as always. Perhaps a MARS-esque shortening of your intermediate cartridge? It'd likely perform better than the stretched pistol round, and allow for the same barrels to be used. Just a thought.
Last edited by The Archangel Conglomerate on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(\/)(•,,,,•)(\/)
Please, call me Arch

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:For want of lances, the heavy equipment never reached the field.

For want of heavy equipment the platoons FOs could direct no HMGs.

For want of HMGs, the Archians had to rely on shitty fucking microcalibers.

For want of real weapons, they lost the war.

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:06 am

The first reference to a PDW that I can find was a study for a weapon to replace the M1911 used by U.S. Army helicopter pilots, as data collected in Vietnam suggested the pilots did not like the weight or magazine capacity. The prefered candidate was a 9mm M1911 clone, IIRC. It, may, however, have been attached to the earlier IMP-221 program run by the Air Force, though I have no proof for or against that position other than the weapon was considered by the army and rejected on size, bulk and weight grounds.

The term seems to have been subsequently reused in other contexts, becoming much more nebulous and hard to define.
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I liked the prostitute - never quote me on that.

Puzikas wrote:This is beyond condom on toes. This is full on Bra-on-balls.

Puzikas wrote:Im not cheep-You can quote me on that.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Live fire is not an effective means of communication.

Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperializt Russia » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:05 am

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:
Allanea wrote:Clearly we should buy Padnak a machete.

A machete blade is fairly dull and not very stabby.

Take a note from this cautionary tale.

This site needs more milthreadball.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:
No, I wouldn't of been. Vietnam lasted 20 years and cost millions of lives. By war's standards, both World Wars were over really quickly, but the consequences of both were massive.
I used those wars as examples as they all lasted a long ass time, cost a shit load of lives and caused massive suffering to pretty much everyone involved, contrary to what Sherman's quote claimed would happen if you try your very best to fuck the enemy as much as possible.

There was no plan for victory in Vietnam.

There was a plan for victory for the US, it was just hopelessly vague.
"Bail out the French, crush communism".

Ho Chi Minh had a slightly less vague and easily-played goal - reject invaders. He found it quite easy to play this with the civil population. Communism is quite alluring to peasant farmers.
Lemanrussland wrote:
Allanea wrote:
And again. What possible strategy could the Allies have adopted in 1939 or 1941 to finish the war sooner, which was within their technological reach in the time period, (i.e. not guided weapons or nukes), and at a meaningfully smaller amount of casualties?

Just a comment:

The strategic bombing campaign in Europe was probably not cost effective, when you consider that German industrial output continued to expand throughout the war, that the political power and authority of the Nazi regime was never seriously threatened as a result of any supposed "demoralizing effect" that the bombing had on the German population, and when you take into account the huge material cost of the strategic bombing program.

As much as 40 to 50 percent of the British war effort went into the RAF, and the USAAF consumed as much as 25-35 percent of US industrial output, large amounts of those resources went to the strategic bombing offensive (RAF Bomber Command accounted for less than a quarter of the RAF, yet used the most factory space and labor). RAF Bomber Command lost 8,325 bombers and 64,000 aircrew, and the USAAF lost 8,237 bombers and 73,000 crew (which exceeds the total USN and USMC casualties in the Pacific).

Now, I'm not saying it had no effect. Forcing Germany to divert resources into air and civil defense deprived the Heer of men and material, and the attacks on oil and nitrate production were quite effective. All in all though, I don't think it was worth the huge cost. A more limited bombing campaign focusing on key sectors like oil production would have freed up resources for fighter production and tactical bombing.

In any event, the results of the strategic bombing campaign definitely did not line up with the predictions of Bomber Mafia theorists of the '20s and '30s.

Consider that if industry is expanding during intense bombing campaign, imagine its progress if unmolested. It was relatively early in the war that war-effort-only bombing was abandoned because "well, they'll just build a new factory", and they started mass-firebombing civilians instead.
Purpelia wrote:
Arkandros wrote:You haven't taken into account that there really was no such thing as precision bombing during the majority of WWII. The earliest guided bombs were used by the Germans against allied warships around 1943 with the Fritz X, and the Allies did not get similar technology until mid 1944 with the Azon (which was much less controllable than the Fritz X). Because of this, the only way to hit a small target (like a railway to disrupt supplies, or a small forward AA position) during the majority of the European Theater operations was through sheer saturation. Because of this, massive amounts of resources had to be devoted to bombers, simply due to the sheer size of the planes themselves and the amount of ordinance required.

On the other hand, sending those bombers to bomb targets that actually mattered like factories, oil refineries etc. would have been a step in the right direction.

They were. They were just bombing civilians by the million, so they couldn't go and fight, or work in the factories.
Arkandros wrote:
Purpelia wrote:On the other hand, sending those bombers to bomb targets that actually mattered like factories, oil refineries etc. would have been a step in the right direction.

We did. What do you mean, we didn't bomb factories? Those were some of the major targets of allied bombing raids, along with supply depots. What you're thinking of (bombing of population centers) was done either because that's where the factories/refineries/supplies were, or because they were major population centers and the bombings were psychological attacks.

"If you bomb all their factories, they just build a new one. If you let me bomb all their workers, it'll take them twenty-one years to get new ones".
~words of some Bomber Command bigwig, advocating mass bombing of civilians.
Arkandros wrote:So you're saying the psychological effect of ~50% of your city disappearing in a fireball wouldn't make you rethink your support of a war? One that your country is quite blatantly losing? Damn, you're one resilient patriot. (or fucking insane, take your pick)

Historically, targeting of civilians does little but steel a country's resolve.
Just look at the "spirit of the Blitz".
The Republic of Lanos wrote:I'm going to use 7.92mm rounds even up to this day.

What?

And? 7.62x54 and x39 bullets are 7.92mm in diameter.

PDW is a role that overlaps many designs and types and other roles.
Arkandros wrote:

For example:

Do not, that is DO NOT pay attention to what Wikipedia believes to be the difference between firearm classifications.

The community their go so long as to proclaim the former Czech Republic "wrong" for calling the Vz.58 a "submachine gun" (one possible translation of its official title, samopal).

Aesthetically, the casket flaring could be higher up the magazine and near the magazine well. It typically was on AK-platform casket magazines.
Warning! This poster has:
PT puppet of the People's Republic of Samozaryadnyastan.

Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information