NATION

PASSWORD

The NS Infantry Discussion Thread, Model 4

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will be the next Master of Ceremonies for the new Infantry Discussion Thread?

Purpelia
11%
Dread Lady Nanticana
8%
Aqizithiuda
10%
Transnapastain
10%
GEUTest
3%
Nirvash Type TheEND
24%
Kouralia
29%
Assorted Sucrose Based Lifeforms
6%

Total votes : 63

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:34 pm

Allanea wrote:Clearly we should buy Padnak a machete.

A machete blade is fairly dull and not very stabby.

Take a note from this cautionary tale.

Gallia- wrote:
Allanea wrote:Since when is the Vietnam war among the most bloody conflicts in world history?

Since 1973.

Sassy~
Unreachable.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:35 pm

Estovnia wrote:
Yukonastan wrote:dis gon be gud, beno getting slammed by a summer kiddie who obviously knows sooooo much more.

Which "barrer firty calibre" rifle are you referring to?

M82A1, M82A2, M82A3?
M95?
M99?
XM107?
M107A1?

Which one?

Beano was (and to extent still is) a "summer kiddie"

?

Even if we look at documented facts, that's wrong. I first arrived in NS in late October, long after the summer was over.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:36 pm

Allanea wrote:Since when is the Vietnam war among the most bloody conflicts in world history?

(Of course, Vietnam is famous for the restrictive SOPs the Americans operated under.)

I don't know, since it's estimated to having nearly 4,000,000 casualties maybe?
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:36 pm

Gallia- wrote:

Since 1973.

It's not even in the top 20.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

New Tsavon
Minister

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Tsavon » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:37 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
New Tsavon wrote:"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over."

Yeah, just look at how quickly the fall of Rome, the Hundred Years' War, the Napoleonic Wars and the Vietnam War all ended, and they're all amongst the most bloody conflicts in history. Aiming to cause your opponent as much death and misery as possible for no other reason than "it's how warriors are supposed to do it" is retarded and only makes things worse in the long run.

You're missing the point here.

Purp actually got it, though. Cruelty ≠ bloodshed. A war without a whole lot of bloodshed but extraordinary cruelty can happen, as can the inverse. Also, Vietnam was hardly one of the bloodiest conflicts in human history. You'd have been better off using either world war as an example.
Ave Nex Alea

Mallorea and Riva should resign

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:40 pm

So you are arguing that had the allies applied less violence to the Axis, they would have won sooner?
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:42 pm

Allanea wrote:So you are arguing that had the allies applied less violence to the Axis, they would have won sooner?

I think he is arguing that if they had applied more violence, as in say used mass gas attacks against cities, atomic bombings all round (alt history, go with it) etc. they would have folded sooner.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:43 pm

Allanea wrote:
Gallia- wrote:
Since 1973.

How do we define "most bloody"? What is the cutoff?

Top 50?

Top 100?

Vietnam probably lands squarely in the latter if not the former. How many thousands or tens of thousands of armed conflicts has mankind fought in its history?

New Tsavon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Tsavon » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:43 pm

Allanea wrote:So you are arguing that had the allies applied less violence to the Axis, they would have won sooner?

No such thing.

I was simply stating, due to the greater bloodshed in either conflict, they'd have made better examples than Vietnam.
Ave Nex Alea

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:45 pm

New Tsavon wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:
Yeah, just look at how quickly the fall of Rome, the Hundred Years' War, the Napoleonic Wars and the Vietnam War all ended, and they're all amongst the most bloody conflicts in history. Aiming to cause your opponent as much death and misery as possible for no other reason than "it's how warriors are supposed to do it" is retarded and only makes things worse in the long run.

You're missing the point here.

Purp actually got it, though. Cruelty ≠ bloodshed. A war without a whole lot of bloodshed but extraordinary cruelty can happen, as can the inverse. Also, Vietnam was hardly one of the bloodiest conflicts in human history. You'd have been better off using either world war as an example.

No, I wouldn't of been. Vietnam lasted 20 years and cost millions of lives. By war's standards, both World Wars were over really quickly, but the consequences of both were massive.
I used those wars as examples as they all lasted a long ass time, cost a shit load of lives and caused massive suffering to pretty much everyone involved, contrary to what Sherman's quote claimed would happen if you try your very best to fuck the enemy as much as possible.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:45 pm

Allanea wrote:
Gallia- wrote:
Since 1973.

Actually, it is. In fact, it's #19.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_w ... death_toll
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:49 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
New Tsavon wrote:You're missing the point here.

No, I wouldn't of been. Vietnam lasted 20 years and cost millions of lives. By war's standards, both World Wars were over really quickly, but the consequences of both were massive.
I used those wars as examples as they all lasted a long ass time, cost a shit load of lives and caused massive suffering to pretty much everyone involved, contrary to what Sherman's quote claimed would happen if you try your very best to fuck the enemy as much as possible.

And again. What possible strategy could the Allies have adopted in 1939 or 1941 to finish the war sooner, which was within their technological reach in the time period, (i.e. not guided weapons or nukes), and at a meaningfully smaller amount of casualties?
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:50 pm

Allanea wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

And again. What possible strategy could the Allies have adopted in 1939 or 1941 to finish the war sooner, which was within their technological reach in the time period, (i.e. not guided weapons or nukes), and at a meaningfully smaller amount of casualties?

peace

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:51 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
New Tsavon wrote:You're missing the point here.

There was no plan for victory in Vietnam.
Unreachable.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:52 pm

On the contrary. Ho Chi Minh and his allies had a plan for victory, and they won.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:52 pm

Allanea wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

I don't know. I'm not talking about how real conflicts could have ended sooner. All I was trying to say is that Ulfr is a psycho for having such a sick and evil view on warfare, wanting to cause misery and suffering to as many people as possible just because "muh warrior spirit".

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:56 pm

I think it's clear that Ulfr's statement was semi parodic.

But he is right to the extent that there is no evidence that a real-world military ever adopted the 'wound-not-kill' doctrine as a basis for small arms developement.

You want a round that is as likely as possible to stop a man's involvement in the fight against you. The more likely is a round to stop an opponent, the more likely it is to kill him.

There is not some zone of effectiveness in which a rifle round has a serious likelihood of stopping an opponent but not killing him.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

The Archangel Conglomerate
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Archangel Conglomerate » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:59 pm

Fordorsia wrote:I don't know. I'm not talking about how real conflicts could have ended sooner. All I was trying to say is that Ulfr is a psycho for having such a sick and evil view on warfare, wanting to cause misery and suffering to as many people as possible just because "muh warrior spirit".

I see what you're getting at Ford, but I think you're taking this a squick too seriously.

Wasn't the 'wound-not-kill' doctrine one of the driving forces behind M16 and 5,56mm NATO development?
(\/)(•,,,,•)(\/)
Please, call me Arch

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:For want of lances, the heavy equipment never reached the field.

For want of heavy equipment the platoons FOs could direct no HMGs.

For want of HMGs, the Archians had to rely on shitty fucking microcalibers.

For want of real weapons, they lost the war.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:01 pm

I believe this is not backed up by evidence (I may be wrong).

The chief point was that far more 5.56mm NATO could be carried by an individual soldier than 7.62 NATO.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

New Tsavon
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Tsavon » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:03 pm

Fordorsia wrote:I don't know. I'm not talking about how real conflicts could have ended sooner. All I was trying to say is that Ulfr is a psycho for having such a sick and evil view on warfare, wanting to cause misery and suffering to as many people as possible just because "muh warrior spirit".

Was that really needed?

In any case, it sounds like you're taking NS too seriously. Which is never a good thing.

The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:Wasn't the 'wound-not-kill' doctrine one of the driving forces behind M16 and 5,56mm NATO development?

No, it had too do with the higher "volume of fire" and suppression ability of a lighter, more carryable round.
Ave Nex Alea

Seripheap
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Seripheap » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:04 pm

Uniform: Image
Main Battle Tank: M60 TANK Image
Main Apc: BTR 60 Image
Main Fighter: F4 Phantom Image
Main Battle Rifle: AKM Image
Main Side Arm: Browning HI Power Image
Last edited by Seripheap on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Archangel Conglomerate
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Archangel Conglomerate » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:05 pm

Allanea wrote:I believe this is not backed up by evidence (I may be wrong).

The chief point was that far more 5.56mm NATO could be carried by an individual soldier than 7.62 NATO.

I could be wrong too. It's been a while since I read up on the 5,56mm, and I really don't plan to, given that it's 2AM here. I do remember ammunition weight being a driving factor though.
(\/)(•,,,,•)(\/)
Please, call me Arch

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:For want of lances, the heavy equipment never reached the field.

For want of heavy equipment the platoons FOs could direct no HMGs.

For want of HMGs, the Archians had to rely on shitty fucking microcalibers.

For want of real weapons, they lost the war.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:05 pm

Allanea wrote:I think it's clear that Ulfr's statement was semi parodic.

But he is right to the extent that there is no evidence that a real-world military ever adopted the 'wound-not-kill' doctrine as a basis for small arms developement.

You want a round that is as likely as possible to stop a man's involvement in the fight against you. The more likely is a round to stop an opponent, the more likely it is to kill him.

There is not some zone of effectiveness in which a rifle round has a serious likelihood of stopping an opponent but not killing him.

Not really. Talk with him and ask about his views, and he'll no doubt share his mindset that he would go out of his way to murder wounded soldiers who are no threat.

I'm absolutely fine with developing weapons that kill people more efficiently, just as long as they don't get less-accurate or precise in their roles, like missiles and rockets and shit. What I'm not in favour of is the murder and destruction of anything back where the enemy's soldiers come from just because "they deserve to die because enemy".

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:06 pm

The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:Wasn't the 'wound-not-kill' doctrine one of the driving forces behind M16 and 5,56mm NATO development?

No. The driving forces were that the AKs the Vietnamese were using was out-shooting the M14 and that soldiers were dying over it. The whole "low recoil in full auto" was way higher of a priority then the "we have TOO MANY JOULES" factor, which was more of a suppletory evidence then a driving reason.

Source: http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Lo ... =ADA050268 (WARNING: It's a download link, I couldn't actually find anywhere where this was being hosted online)
Last edited by Bezombia on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information