NATION

PASSWORD

NS Military Realism Consultation Thread #6

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who should OP the next thread?

The Kievan People
33%
Spirit of Hope
7%
Padnak
30%
Yukonastan
3%
Allanea
12%
Soodean Imperium
5%
Gallia-
11%

Total votes : 132

Padnak
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:36 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Padnak wrote:
They're just the secondary AA armament

The main armament is going to be 12 16.5 inch guns and 16 210mm secondary guns

Split secondary battery like that is not going to be terribly useful, although it also wouldn't necessarily be unusual for the time. However, I question your ability to fit that many secondary and primary guns on a battleship that has a displacement under 80,000 tonnes at least.

Its going to be a little cramped lol

The ship will probably be a little larger then the Yamato and will have much thicker armor. Its going to be a limited class of four ships assigned as flagships of the four major fleets I'm planning on having and will likely be spared no expense.
"มีใบมีดคมและจิตใจที่คมชัด!"
Have a sharp blade, and a sharper mind!
Need weapons for dubious purposes? Buy Padarm today!
San-Silvacian: Aug 11, 2011-Mar 20, 2015
Inquilabstan wrote:It is official now. Padnak is really Cobra Commander.

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Husseinarti wrote:Powered Borscht.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Immoren wrote:Again we've sexual tension that can be cut with a bowie.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:40 pm

Padnak wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:
Split secondary battery like that is not going to be terribly useful, although it also wouldn't necessarily be unusual for the time. However, I question your ability to fit that many secondary and primary guns on a battleship that has a displacement under 80,000 tonnes at least.

Its going to be a little cramped lol

The ship will probably be a little larger then the Yamato and will have much thicker armor. Its going to be a limited class of four ships assigned as flagships of the four major fleets I'm planning on having and will likely be spared no expense.

Then I'd guess 90,000 tonnes. Yamato was the most heavily-armored battleship by plate thickness ever built. Unless you don't plan on having engines at all. I'm not even sure how or where you plan to put 16 210 mm guns, that's the main armament of two full heavy cruisers.

Also, assigning battleships (or indeed, any class of ship) in that manner (one per fleet) is not common practice. It's common on NS, and seems common based on how the US now distributes its aircraft carriers, but traditionally battleships of a given class are all placed in the same squadron, so that the squadron will have the same tactical characteristics.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:45 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Then I'd guess 90,000 tonnes. Yamato was the most heavily-armored battleship by plate thickness ever built. Unless you don't plan on having engines at all. I'm not even sure how or where you plan to put 16 210 mm guns, that's the main armament of two full heavy cruisers.

Also, assigning battleships (or indeed, any class of ship) in that manner (one per fleet) is not common practice. It's common on NS, and seems common based on how the US now distributes its aircraft carriers, but traditionally battleships of a given class are all placed in the same squadron, so that the squadron will have the same tactical characteristics.

Huh, I just thought that distributing them that way was common practice. The more you know, I'll be doing that-

I'm expecting these ships to be rather slow and lumbering, or to be fairly fast but with a fairly limited range for a battleship of there wight range. Thinking about it, it would probably make more sense to remove the 210mm and 125mm armaments and instead go for a 150mm or something like that unified armament

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:53 pm

Padnak wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

Huh, I just thought that distributing them that way was common practice. The more you know, I'll be doing that-

I'm expecting these ships to be rather slow and lumbering, or to be fairly fast but with a fairly limited range for a battleship of there wight range. Thinking about it, it would probably make more sense to remove the 210mm and 125mm armaments and instead go for a 150mm or something like that unified armament

150 mm is a bit too large for it to be practical as a dual-purpose weapon. The British thought they could get away with 5.25" (134 mm) for their dual-purpose guns in WWII to get a bit more explosive power out of them, but it turned out to be too much, and rates of fire dropped as crews became tired more quickly moving the heavier shells. 5" is pretty much the optimum between ROF and shell weight, as the US demonstrated.

Split secondary batteries traditionally had weapons in the 6" (150 mm) range for anti-surface engagements supported by dedicated AA guns in the 3.5-4" (88-105 mm) class. At best, the heavier guns would be capable of long-range barrage fire against aerial targets, but not closer engagements, leaving a reduced battery of lighter guns for anti-air purposes.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:35 pm

Roski wrote:
San-Silvacian wrote:
Fortifications have proven time and again effective against a series of systems.

Do you even know what a fighting position is.

I do. And in a Modern Scenario, in an Urban situation, trenches are not as effective.
Please do not post if you don't know what youre talking about.
Restore the Crown

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:39 pm

One has to wonder if the Americans got it optimal with the 5/54 and the 16 in guns. That said I think the Vanguard armament was good too... despite being essentially the same as mounted on the QE class. Vanguard was the pinnacle of battleship design outside the US.

On 80kt one could fit 4 x III 15in. Or more. But 8 guns in 4 turrets is probably better than 9 guns in 3 turrets.
Last edited by Questers on Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:44 pm

Questers wrote:
Roski wrote:
I do. And in a Modern Scenario, in an Urban situation, trenches are not as effective.
Please do not post if you don't know what youre talking about.

Fuck are you going to do against Helicopters, as mercenaries, in a fucking trench?

I see that it works against nuclear warfare, but are you really going to entrench yourself against overwhelming air support and light infantry?
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:49 pm

Roski wrote:
Questers wrote: Please do not post if you don't know what youre talking about.

Fuck are you going to do against Helicopters, as mercenaries, in a fucking trench?

I see that it works against nuclear warfare, but are you really going to entrench yourself against overwhelming air support and light infantry?

Yeah. I'll dig in. I've got organic AA, I've got vastly more protection from the front, and to a degree, from the flank, and I've now got the capability to bring out the fun stuff. (10mm medium machine guns don't really work for a perfectly mobile unit unless they're on vehicles, which restricts where they can go. Setting up a position allows me much more freedom as far as positioning that machine gun goes.)
As for helicopters, organic AA and MANPADS work fairly well.
this guy is a fucking furry and a therian
Btw, here's my IC flag

"Purp go to bed." - Nirvash Type TheEnd

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:50 pm

Yukonastan wrote:
Roski wrote:

Yeah. I'll dig in. I've got organic AA, I've got vastly more protection from the front, and to a degree, from the flank, and I've now got the capability to bring out the fun stuff. (10mm medium machine guns don't really work for a perfectly mobile unit unless they're on vehicles, which restricts where they can go. Setting up a position allows me much more freedom as far as positioning that machine gun goes.)

Organic AA?
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:51 pm

First off, why would mercenaries face off against an attacking army?

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Well Cipher was a merc and he killed all the Belkan fgts.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:52 pm

The Republic of Lanos wrote:First off, why would mercenaries face off against an attacking army?

Civil conflict with an army made of mercenaries had to face off against 100,000 of my heavily armed men, in taking a City where we initially thought the rebel leader was.

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:52 pm

Is thirty to forty kg (in radio equipment and spares, water, rations, ammo, personal effects, etc) a realistic combat load for my typical footslogger?
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:54 pm

Roski wrote:
Yukonastan wrote:

Organic AA?

Exactly what it sounds like. The unit itself has quite the antiaircraft defenses, what with the heavy machine guns and autocannons on the IFVs, the MANPADS so proudly ignored until they're needed, and the 40mm launchers which amount to luck more than anything. The RPGs that strike the tail rotors on your fancy gunships.

Also, did I mention that M58 MICLICs are not good trench clearing devices? Because trenches are designed to reduce the effects of such weapons? Or of any weapons that hit them directly?
Krasny-Volny wrote:Is thirty to forty kg (in radio equipment and spares, water, rations, ammo, personal effects, etc) a realistic combat load for my typical footslogger?

I dunno. Ask over on the Infantry thread. Depends on how heavy your soldiers are. To me it seems to be too much, however.
Btw, here's my IC flag

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:55 pm

Questers wrote:One has to wonder if the Americans got it optimal with the 5/54 and the 16 in guns. That said I think the Vanguard armament was good too... despite being essentially the same as mounted on the QE class. Vanguard was the pinnacle of battleship design outside the US.

On 80kt one could fit 4 x III 15in. Or more. But 8 guns in 4 turrets is probably better than 9 guns in 3 turrets.

I personally think having 3 guns a turret layout is better because it means that on a turret by turret basses fire rate is higher and the amount of gun to the amount of armor is lower (meaning less weight to the overall ship) then the equivalent amount of 2 gun turrets you would need to match it. Mind you, the ship I'm aiming for is all about being really huge and having a shit load of guns, with all the problems that brings with it.

Its an interesting trade off, having less guns in more turrets that can engage more turrets simultaneously and are of greater utility, or having more guns in less turrets that are more powerful but are of less utility and can't engage as many targets at the same time.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:55 pm

Roski wrote:
Yukonastan wrote:

Organic AA?

As in, his forces have integrated AA capacity built into infantry/armored formations, so it isn't a question of unaccompanied infantry against airpower. Troops being issued MANPADS and accompanied by integrated SAMs or AA vehicles is usually how this is implemented.
This is a pretty usual state of affairs for combined-arms forces.
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:55 pm

There's a reason why I suggested a fragmentation shell fitted with a proximity fuze to kill men in trenches.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:56 pm

Yukonastan wrote:
Roski wrote:
Organic AA?

Exactly what it sounds like. The unit itself has quite the antiaircraft defenses, what with the heavy machine guns and autocannons on the IFVs, the MANPADS so proudly ignored until they're needed, and the 40mm launchers which amount to luck more than anything. The RPGs that strike the tail rotors on your fancy gunships.

Also, did I mention that M58 MICLICs are not good trench clearing devices? Because trenches are designed to reduce the effects of such weapons? Or of any weapons that hit them directly?
Krasny-Volny wrote:Is thirty to forty kg (in radio equipment and spares, water, rations, ammo, personal effects, etc) a realistic combat load for my typical footslogger?

I dunno. Ask over on the Infantry thread. Depends on how heavy your soldiers are. To me it seems to be too much, however.

How's a frag, missiles landing in the trench, and lots of machine gun fire sound?

Common Territories
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Common Territories » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:57 pm

Roski wrote:
Questers wrote: Please do not post if you don't know what youre talking about.

Trenches have been used since the beginning of organized warfare, primarily because they are so useful as a defensive structure. In modern warfare, they still offer protection from direct fire; the structure depends on the constructor's design. Anyways; trenches can protect troops from helicopters, because they don't just sit on top of a trench and shoot directly down. Depending on the angle of fire from cannons and how the ordinance lands, the occupants of a trench are safe. Trenches protect occupants from ordinances that don't directly hit inside, from shrapnel from ordinances, and direct fire. No one says trenches are the perfect defense anymore but you are giving them far less credit then they deserve.

As for your mercenaries. I would suggest HMGs and MANPADS. And FYI: Trenches would not save you from a nuclear explosion, like, at all.

Padnak
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:58 pm

They would probably save you from a nuclear firestorm if you're super lucky and are in a covered part of the trench-

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:00 pm

Roski wrote:
Yukonastan wrote:

How's a frag, missiles landing in the trench, and lots of machine gun fire sound?

Trench defeats machine gun fire over top of it. As for the missiles, sounds good. As for the potato masher in the trench, you'll need more. Way more than just one. Not to mention you're running against machine gun fire yourself while assaulting that trench.

As for trenches and nuclear weapons, they do quite a bit more than CT thinks. You're out of the direct pressure wave, so you're not going to be blown away. You're still in the shockwave (surviveable), but you don't get the firestorm in your face. And depending on how far away the shot is, it also provides effective radiation blast shielding, due to the lip causing a shadow to obsure the blast from sight.

Not that any of that matters when you end up knee-deep in highly radioactive fallout ash.
Btw, here's my IC flag

Common Territories
Senator

Founded: Nov 08, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Common Territories » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:01 pm

Padnak wrote:They would probably save you from a nuclear firestorm if you're super lucky and are in a covered part of the trench-

If you survived the explosion in a trench you'd get seconds of life left as the air suction kills you or the radiation does it. This of course is if you are near the explosion -- if you're close enough to contest the explosion killing you, the other stuff will.

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:04 pm

What is the disadvantages of a mostly conscripted military? With some professional units.

And said professional units are for high middle class and high class citizens only.
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:04 pm

Common Territories wrote:As for your mercenaries. I would suggest HMGs and MANPADS. And FYI: Trenches would not save you from a nuclear explosion, like, at all.

Numerous US open air nuclear tests disagree with your assessment. A trench can provide great cover from a nearby nuclear strike
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information