NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nation's Air Force Mark II:

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Erusuia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Erusuia » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:59 pm

Was the MiG-23 any good? I'm planning on having it be the last aircraft my air force acquired in large numbers before the economic recession rendered the military budget less for twenty years

(starting the the late 60s Erusuia went into severe economic decline due to government mismanagement and corruption, this period of economic rescission lasted until the start of the 1990s and during this time the military was unable to acquire almost new equipment)
Glorious Erusuia Forever
Pharthan wrote:
Padnak wrote:Are there any crippling disadvantages to blasting ride of the Valkyries out of the helicopters during an air assault against hostile forces that know you're there?

Being too awesome?

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:13 pm

Variable geometry doesn't synergize well with a tight budget.
Unreachable.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:14 pm

Erusuia wrote:Was the MiG-23 any good? I'm planning on having it be the last aircraft my air force acquired in large numbers before the economic recession rendered the military budget less for twenty years

(starting the the late 60s Erusuia went into severe economic decline due to government mismanagement and corruption, this period of economic rescission lasted until the start of the 1990s and during this time the military was unable to acquire almost new equipment)

It was a good aircraft for the time, despite being rather on the complicated side, though it should be noted that the MiG-23, will become more and more difficult to maintain as time goes on (primarily due to the parts problem and the associated costs).

If you are looking for a replacement later on, I'd look towards the MiG-29, the JF-17, or the F-16.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Korva
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 22, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Korva » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:14 pm

Erusuia wrote:Was the MiG-23 any good? I'm planning on having it be the last aircraft my air force acquired in large numbers before the economic recession rendered the military budget less for twenty years

From what I've read it had poor visibility, mediocre radar, and lacked a refueling probe.

Decent for the 1970's, pretty bad for 2014.

Erusuia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Erusuia » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:15 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Variable geometry doesn't synergize well with a tight budget.

Up until the economic rescission the military had vast amounts of funding, the MiG-23s were a sort of lass hurrah for the air force before it lost the majority of its budget
Glorious Erusuia Forever
Pharthan wrote:
Padnak wrote:Are there any crippling disadvantages to blasting ride of the Valkyries out of the helicopters during an air assault against hostile forces that know you're there?

Being too awesome?

Post-American Wastelands
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Post-American Wastelands » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:20 pm

Do armed cropdusters count as an airforce?

Because that's about it. There might also be a working helicopter or two, if you really stretch your definition of "working".
IC, it's the Republic of Wichita

Erusuia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Erusuia » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:23 pm

Organized States wrote:It was a good aircraft for the time, despite being rather on the complicated side, though it should be noted that the MiG-23, will become more and more difficult to maintain as time goes on (primarily due to the parts problem and the associated costs).

If you are looking for a replacement later on, I'd look towards the MiG-29, the JF-17, or the F-16.

Korva wrote:From what I've read it had poor visibility, mediocre radar, and lacked a refueling probe.

In 2014 the economy has recovered and surpassed per-rescission levels so with that the military is attempting to extensively modernize with a big focus on the air forced (which held fewer then 100 operable aircraft out of a former fleet of 1250 by the start of economic recovery in the 1990s) which leads we onto another question: I want to develop an indigenous multi-role fighter as a sort of "Erusuia is back and ready to kick ass" national project, what kind of electronics does a multi-role need?

The aircraft in question will probably be using allot of licensed/stolen technologies from existing aircraft to compensate for the aircraft industries lack of experience
Glorious Erusuia Forever
Pharthan wrote:

Being too awesome?

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:24 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Elan rules the skies
Unreachable.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:27 pm

Post-American Wastelands wrote:Do armed cropdusters count as an airforce?

Because that's about it. There might also be a working helicopter or two, if you really stretch your definition of "working".

I'm seeing double...

Anyways, I believe the Yemani Air Force has Crop-Dusters armed with Hellfire missiles, so yes.

Erusuia wrote:
Organized States wrote:It was a good aircraft for the time, despite being rather on the complicated side, though it should be noted that the MiG-23, will become more and more difficult to maintain as time goes on (primarily due to the parts problem and the associated costs).

Korva wrote:From what I've read it had poor visibility, mediocre radar, and lacked a refueling probe.

In 2014 the economy has recovered and surpassed per-rescission levels so with that the military is attempting to extensively modernize with a big focus on the air forced (which held fewer then 100 operable aircraft out of a former fleet of 1250 by the start of economic recovery in the 1990s) which leads we onto another question: I want to develop an indigenous multi-role fighter as a sort of "Erusuia is back and ready to kick ass" national project, what kind of electronics does a multi-role need?

The aircraft in question will probably be using allot of licensed/stolen technologies from existing aircraft to compensate for the aircraft industries lack of experience

Well, it would be cheaper to acquire an existing fighter.

But, what are your requirements for this fighter (because that could potentially change some of the electronics required)?
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Post-American Wastelands
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Post-American Wastelands » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:29 pm

Organized States wrote:I'm seeing double...

Anyways, I believe the Yemani Air Force has Crop-Dusters armed with Hellfire missiles, so yes.

I know, I need a flag that isn't ripped from Fallout.

In any case, that's good to hear.
IC, it's the Republic of Wichita

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:12 pm

Organized States wrote:
Hurtful Thoughts wrote:Strap some cruise-missile guidance packages in them and call them recon-drones.

Profit!

Not a bad idea actually.

Which is pretty much what I did with my indig "for direct ground-support only" copies ended up doing after we discovered they could be shot down.

Unlike America, we built a lot of them. Because "cool-plane". But then as I got a bit smarter I kept nerfing it with realism.
-But to get an idea of what it was, think of what you'd get if an A-10 date-rapes an F-117. Still, our crews loved 'em for their childish simplicity.

Eventually, it wound-up being an advanced-trainer capable of carrying a few bombs, followed by an effort to crank up the thrust and make it into a target-drone and replaced them with F-5E/F-20 Tigersharks optimized to run on methane.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

Atlantica
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantica » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:09 pm

Fellow NS-ers, how would you evaluate the twin-engine KF-X (a Korean 'stealth' fighter) for an air force, in order to counter the F-35?
Proudly a Member of the International Northwestern Union

MT, PMT: The Greater Eastern Union of Zhenia
FT: The Continuum of Atlantica

zeusdefense.com
kronosinc.com

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:16 pm

Atlantica wrote:Fellow NS-ers, how would you evaluate the twin-engine KF-X (a Korean 'stealth' fighter) for an air force, in order to counter the F-35?

Don't. Just run with some pure ASFs (Mig 29, F-22, f-16 etc...) and you'll be able to wreck any F-35's day in Air to AIr combat.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Connori Pilgrims
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Connori Pilgrims » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:24 pm

Atlantica wrote:Fellow NS-ers, how would you evaluate the twin-engine KF-X (a Korean 'stealth' fighter) for an air force, in order to counter the F-35?

1.) Which KF-X design are you talking about? KF-X C-103 or KFX-E?

2.) Their specs are still mostly on paper and mostly incomplete (we don't even know the full paper specs yet). So can't evaluate until more info is available.
LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR YOU. HATE.

Overview of the United Provinces of Connorianople (MT)
FT - United Worlds of Connorianople/The Connori Pilgrims
MT-PMT - United Provinces of Connorianople
PT (19th-Mid-20th Century) - Republic of Connorianople/United States of America (1939 World of Tomorrow RP)
FanT - The Imperium Fremen

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:40 pm

Vancon wrote:

Don't. Just run with some pure ASFs (Mig 29, F-22, f-16 etc...) and you'll be able to wreck any F-35's day in Air to AIr combat.

Mig-29s and F-16s can only wreck an F-35 if the F-35 is piloted by a 3rd grade dropout with ADHD as part of some F-35 Hater-Fanboy's wet dreams.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:44 pm

Vancon wrote:

No.

If this was true the F-16 wouldn't be being replaced by the F-35.

But hey I didn't make a low-quality F-series guide so I don't know anything.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:48 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:
Vancon wrote:Don't. Just run with some pure ASFs (Mig 29, F-22, f-16 etc...) and you'll be able to wreck any F-35's day in Air to AIr combat.

No.

O hai.

I totally wasn't giving an example for other thing and naming a couple of different options for whatever his situation would be, regardless of whether or not his nation was rich.

Don't mind me trying to help.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:49 pm

While the KF-X looks like an interesting design might eventually emerge all that we have at the moment is some very basic design parameters and some history of development. I don't even think their are any prototypes under development.

So when it is finished it might be better than the F-35, simply because it will have later (and thus most likely) better electronics. But at the same time it is being developed by nations with little fighter design experience and no stealth experience which might make its design harder. Additionally the KF-X is probably going to have to look at some of the design trade offs the F-35 made, and it wouldn't be that surprising if it made similar decisions.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:52 pm

Vancon wrote:
San-Silvacian wrote:
No.

O hai.

I totally wasn't giving an example for other thing and naming a couple of different options for whatever his situation would be, regardless of whether or not his nation was rich.

No you didn't help at all.

You just spewed out the same anti-F-35 rhetoric like a well-trained student of the Air Power Australia school of ignorance.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:54 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Vancon wrote:Don't. Just run with some pure ASFs (Mig 29, F-22, f-16 etc...) and you'll be able to wreck any F-35's day in Air to AIr combat.

Mig-29s and F-16s can only wreck an F-35 if the F-35 is piloted by a 3rd grade dropout with ADHD as part of some F-35 Hater-Fanboy's wet dreams.

No, I'll stick to my guns on this one. Both the F-16 (upgraded of course) and the MiG were made specifically to be dogfighters. Sure the F-35 is more modern and has better electronics, but I think that a MiG 29 would be able to hold it's ground. As for the quip of pilot skill, If they were on the same level, I think it would be an even match.
San-Silvacian wrote:
Vancon wrote:O hai.

No you didn't help at all.

You just spewed out the same anti-F-35 rhetoric like a well-trained student of the Air Power Australia school of ignorance.

I totally helped. I gave him another choice to use. Another 3 choices actually, which are all actually fighters.

Urran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:55 pm

The Corparation wrote:Mig-29s and F-16s can only wreck an F-35 if the F-35 is piloted by a 3rd grade dropout with ADHD as part of some F-35 Hater-Fanboy's wet dreams.

Actually, if said child was any good at video games he might have a chance. They did this thing where they let school kids pilot the F35 in the actual flight simulator the military uses. took them all of five minutes to learn how to take off and shoot down simulated Mig29's without instruction.

I'm actually a bit worried about the design time. it's taken longer than it should have and cost more than expected. Not hating, I'm just a little iffy. I'll hold onto my Rafales just a while longer....plus I love the new F16 Block52D
A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it's accepted by a majority.
Proud Coastie
The Blood Ravens wrote: How wonderful. Its like Japan, and 1950''s America had a baby. All the racism of the 50s, and everything else Japanese.

I <3 James May

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
❤BITTEN BY THE VAMPIRE QUEEN OF COOKIES❤

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:04 pm

yeah you give a mig-29 anti-stef radar it will kill the F-shity5 every single day fuck the F-35 5th gen is dumb. wow so many issues.

Urran wrote:I'm actually a bit worried about the design time. it's taken longer than it should have and cost more than expected. Not hating, I'm just a little iffy. I'll hold onto my Rafales just a while longer....plus I love the new F16 Block52D

Its going to be in active service in a few months.

The USAF has already received a few of them and are steadily getting more and more of them.

Also, what everyone likes to not look at, its the fucking 2nd 5th generation fighter aircraft to enter production.

There are going to be problems.

There are going to be teething issues.

Its not like the Su-35BMKBMKBMKDMVNKADVD 4.5++++++++++++++++ generation fighter aircraft which has decades of 4th generation aircraft development to back it up. It has a shit load of lessons learned not only from the evolution of the Su-27 family, but of its entire 4th generation family.

The F-35B has a Chinese shitplane, a Russian fighter than doesn't have its production engines yet, and an older, and another Russian project from the 1980s which was to compete with the F-22.

Its only production model it can draw experience from is the F-22A, however the goals of the F-22A are allot different from the F-35B.

Urran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:10 pm

My nation will probably end up using the F35C when it's all said and done.

I will agree with you. I just wish that my country wasn't paying for the majority of the development if it's supposed to be a joint project.

Ah, Australia. They also claim buying submarines from Japan is a huge mistake. Let's see, air independent propulsion, decent range, excellent sensors, it's deadly quiet, good weapons load...it's not a patrol sub, it's a freaking attack sub and one of the few not nuclear powered. Australia just has issues buying anything.
A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it's accepted by a majority.
Proud Coastie
The Blood Ravens wrote: How wonderful. Its like Japan, and 1950''s America had a baby. All the racism of the 50s, and everything else Japanese.

I <3 James May

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
❤BITTEN BY THE VAMPIRE QUEEN OF COOKIES❤

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:17 pm

Urran wrote:My nation will probably end up using the F35C when it's all said and done.

I will agree with you. I just wish that my country wasn't paying for the majority of the development if it's supposed to be a joint project.

Ah, Australia. They also claim buying submarines from Japan is a huge mistake. Let's see, air independent propulsion, decent range, excellent sensors, it's deadly quiet, good weapons load...it's not a patrol sub, it's a freaking attack sub and one of the few not nuclear powered. Australia just has issues buying anything.

I'm talking about APA aka Air Power Australia, which, has some good info on a few things (It has a fucking altas on S-300/-400 battery vehicles, missiles, etc, however its opinions on the F-22A and F-35B vs contemporary fighter designs like the Su-35 are very biased and fall under "hurr 5th bad usa suck"

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:18 pm

Vancon wrote:
The Corparation wrote:Mig-29s and F-16s can only wreck an F-35 if the F-35 is piloted by a 3rd grade dropout with ADHD as part of some F-35 Hater-Fanboy's wet dreams.

No, I'll stick to my guns on this one. Both the F-16 (upgraded of course) and the MiG were made specifically to be dogfighters. Sure the F-35 is more modern and has better electronics, but I think that a MiG 29 would be able to hold it's ground. As for the quip of pilot skill, If they were on the same level, I think it would be an even match.

The only place a MiG-29 could compete with a F-35 is in rather close WVR combat. Until that time the F-35 has all of the advantages, and unless the pilot is an idiot he can exploit those advantages to make sure the MiG-29 can't get close enough to have a fair fight.

The one time the F-22 went up against the Eurofighter evidence indicates that they got a draw, evidence also indicates that the range was restricted so that the F-22 couldn't use its stealth and BVR capabilities to its fullest extent. That is the best he have for a comparison, and it bodes well for the F-35.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information