NATION

PASSWORD

Worldbuilding Realism Consultation Thread Mk. 4

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:25 am

Questers wrote:The best way to modify how much HUMAN life is on your planet is simply by fertile area.

... I've read this many times and still WHat?
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:12 pm

Nordengrund wrote:How could a European nation, particularly one of a Nordic or Western variety end up with a presidential system like the U.S., or at least a parliamentary system like South Africa where the head of state and government are occupied by the same person?

Be France? For all they say about being totally independent or whatever the Fourth and Fifth Republics are a lot more American than the prewar Third.
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Radimostan
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 13, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Radimostan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:How could a European nation, particularly one of a Nordic or Western variety end up with a presidential system like the U.S., or at least a parliamentary system like South Africa where the head of state and government are occupied by the same person?

Be France? For all they say about being totally independent or whatever the Fourth and Fifth Republics are a lot more American than the prewar Third.

Except not really, definitely not the Fourth Republic.

THE IN-CHARACTER NAME IS RADITIA, NOT RADIMOSTAN

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Radimostan wrote:
Taihei Tengoku wrote:Be France? For all they say about being totally independent or whatever the Fourth and Fifth Republics are a lot more American than the prewar Third.

De Gaulle was the Fourth Republic.

So yeah, they're pretty American.

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:20 pm

Taihei Tengoku wrote:

Well, my country (unintentionally) ended up being a Nordic version of France when it comes to history, so I guess that can work.
1 John 1:9

Radimostan
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Radimostan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Radimostan wrote:

The Fourth Republic was based pretty much on the third one, De Gaulle came to power in the very late phase of the Fourth Republic and transformed it into the Fifth Republic, and the Fifth Republic is somewhat based on the American system.
Last edited by Radimostan on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013

Postby Gallia- » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:23 pm

Nordengrund wrote:
Taihei Tengoku wrote:Be France? For all they say about being totally independent or whatever the Fourth and Fifth Republics are a lot more American than the prewar Third.

Well, my country (unintentionally) ended up being a Nordic version of France when it comes to history, so I guess that can work.

TBF, the USA is also less "the President" and more "Congress" or "the courts".

Radimostan wrote:
Gallia- wrote:

The Fourth Republic was based pretty much on the third one, De Gaulle came to power in the very late phase of the Fourth Republic and Transformed it into the Fifth Republic, and the Fifth Republic is somewhat based American system.

Yeah I confused the two.

The point is the Fifth Republic demands a strong president though, like De Gaulle.

Radimostan
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Radimostan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:

TBF, the USA is also less "the President" and more "Congress" or "the courts".

Radimostan wrote:
The Fourth Republic was based pretty much on the third one, De Gaulle came to power in the very late phase of the Fourth Republic and Transformed it into the Fifth Republic, and the Fifth Republic is somewhat based American system.

Yeah I confused the two.

The point is the Fifth Republic demands a strong president though, like De Gaulle.

The point is the Fifth Republic has a prime minister depended on the legislative branch.
Last edited by Radimostan on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:39 am

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Questers wrote:The best way to modify how much HUMAN life is on your planet is simply by fertile area.

Humans eat things like potatoes and wheat on an agricultural basis, unlike, say, dragons, foxes, or spiders. For agriculture you require fertile land.

The amount of humans who can live on your planet depends on how much of the area of that planet is fertile.
Restore the Crown

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:15 am

Questers wrote:
Yes Im Biop wrote:
Humans eat things like potatoes and wheat on an agricultural basis, unlike, say, dragons, foxes, or spiders. For agriculture you require fertile land.

The amount of humans who can live on your planet depends on how much of the area of that planet is fertile.

Well the main land that they live on is about 3 times the size of the USA and a lot of it is plains. I think I'de be fine.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

Nordengrund
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nordengrund » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:39 pm

What do you think of using ranged voting as the primary method for electing officials at the national level. Basically, how it works is that there is a list of the candidates' names and a line of numbers (let's say from 0 through 9) and you rank the candidates based on how much you like or approve of them, and the candidate with the highest rank or approval is elected.

The only real potential flaw I see is that it could be a popularity contest where the most liked or approved candidate isn't necessarily the most qualified.
1 John 1:9

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Nordengrund wrote:What do you think of using ranged voting as the primary method for electing officials at the national level. Basically, how it works is that there is a list of the candidates' names and a line of numbers (let's say from 0 through 9) and you rank the candidates based on how much you like or approve of them, and the candidate with the highest rank or approval is elected.

The only real potential flaw I see is that it could be a popularity contest where the most liked or approved candidate isn't necessarily the most qualified.

It already exists?

It's usually called instant-runoff voting though.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:07 pm

Nordengrund wrote:The only real potential flaw I see is that it could be a popularity contest where the most liked or approved candidate isn't necessarily the most qualified.

How would that be different from any other form of popular election?
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Taihei Tengoku
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Taihei Tengoku » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Gallia- wrote:The Green Revolution makes fertile land sorta redundant.

Not unless you're Stratfor!
REST IN POWER
Franberry - HMS Barham - North Point - Questers - Tyrandis - Rosbaningrad - Sharfghotten
UNJUSTLY DELETED
OUR DAY WILL COME

Athrax
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Athrax » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:58 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Nordengrund wrote:What do you think of using ranged voting as the primary method for electing officials at the national level. Basically, how it works is that there is a list of the candidates' names and a line of numbers (let's say from 0 through 9) and you rank the candidates based on how much you like or approve of them, and the candidate with the highest rank or approval is elected.

It already exists?

The reason it's called that is because typically in IRV, the system is designed to automatically remove the lowest-supported candidate, redistribute his or her voters based on their second preference, and then continue until someone receives at least some degree of majority support. So instead of wiping out all but the top two candidates in a crowded field and scheduling a runoff election a few days later, it's got an automatic runoff mechanism.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:16 am

Athrax wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:
It already exists?

The reason it's called that is because typically in IRV, the system is designed to automatically remove the lowest-supported candidate, redistribute his or her voters based on their second preference, and then continue until someone receives at least some degree of majority support. So instead of wiping out all but the top two candidates in a crowded field and scheduling a runoff election a few days later, it's got an automatic runoff mechanism.

I know why it's called that. I am simply pointing out that a system like what Nordengrund proposes already exists and is more commonly used than actual range voting.

The problem with "popularity" voting is not unique to instant-runoff or range voting systems anyway. The winner of the 2016 US presidential election was hardly the most qualified candidate in the field.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Athrax
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Athrax » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:52 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Athrax wrote:

I know why it's called that. I am simply pointing out that a system like what Nordengrund proposes already exists and is more commonly used than actual range voting.

The problem with "popularity" voting is not unique to instant-runoff or range voting systems anyway. The winner of the 2016 US presidential election was hardly the most qualified candidate in the field.

That's more just an issue with democratic vs meritocratic systems. The people ger to decide what factors go into being the best. I suppose you could create a systen designed to vet candidates able to run for democratic election, but that seems incredibly easy to corrupt

Welskerland
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 06, 2014

Postby Welskerland » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:51 am

Would you consider it 'unequal' for marriage to be reserved for a heterosexual couple, but homosexuals can have civil unions where they have all the same benefits? Welskerland is a fairly religious nation, but most people don't have a problem with same sex relationships, but just don't want it to be called marriage. Aside from terminology, they are treated by the government as pretty much the same thing.
Embassy Program

This nation does reflect my IRL views unless something is more interesting to differ from what I believe otherwise. For example, Welskerland is a constitutional monarchy, while I prefer a republic IRL.

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:47 am

Welskerland wrote:Would you consider it 'unequal' for marriage to be reserved for a heterosexual couple, but homosexuals can have civil unions where they have all the same benefits? Welskerland is a fairly religious nation, but most people don't have a problem with same sex relationships, but just don't want it to be called marriage. Aside from terminology, they are treated by the government as pretty much the same thing.

Sounds fine

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:40 am

Welskerland wrote:Would you consider it 'unequal' for marriage to be reserved for a heterosexual couple, but homosexuals can have civil unions where they have all the same benefits? Welskerland is a fairly religious nation, but most people don't have a problem with same sex relationships, but just don't want it to be called marriage. Aside from terminology, they are treated by the government as pretty much the same thing.

Well it's been enough to drive court cases and legislation across umpteen western nations that had already granted civil partnerships...

And then things go the other way with hetero couples starting court cases so they can have civil partnerships instead of marriages.

I kind of like the approach of the government just treating every union as a purely civil partnership agreement regardless of the form of celebration and ceremony and allowing folks to just call it whatever they want.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Welskerland
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 06, 2014

Postby Welskerland » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Crookfur wrote:

Well it's been enough to drive court cases and legislation across umpteen western nations that had already granted civil partnerships...

And then things go the other way with hetero couples starting court cases so they can have civil partnerships instead of marriages.

I kind of like the approach of the government just treating every union as a purely civil partnership agreement regardless of the form of celebration and ceremony and allowing folks to just call it whatever they want.

I think I will go with that. Maybe marriage will be privatized, but the government recognizes civil unions defined as between two consenting adults.
Embassy Program

This nation does reflect my IRL views unless something is more interesting to differ from what I believe otherwise. For example, Welskerland is a constitutional monarchy, while I prefer a republic IRL.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Athrax wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

That's more just an issue with democratic vs meritocratic systems. The people ger to decide what factors go into being the best. I suppose you could create a systen designed to vet candidates able to run for democratic election, but that seems incredibly easy to corrupt

Democratic vs meritocratic is not a black and white issue. While democracy is relatively easy to universally define as a concept and its objective (although putting in practice is not as easy) , meritocracy is a lot more subjective than you make it out to be.

Case in point: the most qualified person for the presidency of the US, or any other nation, may not be the best candidate if you factor in communication skills or determination/intention. You could argue the former could be included in "being qualified", the latter, not so much.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information