NATION

PASSWORD

NS Non-Military Realism Consultation Thread Mk. 4

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Dayganistan
Diplomat
 
Posts: 849
Founded: May 02, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Dayganistan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:56 pm

Champagne Socialist Sharifistan wrote:
Purpelia wrote:I give your society at most a year before it collapses or is overrun.

Collapsed how? Overrun by whom?

Can you give examples of how it would fail to work?
Revolutions would not happen due to the obvious noblesse oblige exercised by the ruling class combined with a large military, well-funded and competent police and intelligence service and the influence of religion (mostly Islam)

Nobody expects a revolution to happen until it does. Take the uprising against Gaddafi in Libya for example. Libya had among the highest standards of living in Africa, there were loads of social programs that helped improved the lives of Libyans, public works projects created jobs. And yet, Gaddafi's people still shot him with his own pistol.

User avatar
Purpelia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33233
Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Libertarian Police State

Postby Purpelia » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:42 pm

Champagne Socialist Sharifistan wrote:Collapsed how? Overrun by whom?

Well for a start all those young men dying and dying and dying are going to eventually die. And than you're out of young men. That's pretty much what happened to Nazi Germany.

Revolutions would not happen due to the obvious noblesse oblige exercised by the ruling class combined with a large military, well-funded and competent police and intelligence service and the influence of religion (mostly Islam)

The large military that you just said was dying in huge numbers? Even if they are so fanatical that they don't just revolt on their own the rest of the people will just as soon as you start running out of manpower. That's basically what happened to Russia in 1917.

Seriously, replace Islam with Orthodox Christianity and you are basically describing 1917 Russia.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.



The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

User avatar
Radimostan
Diplomat
 
Posts: 545
Founded: Jun 13, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Radimostan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:12 pm

New Visayan Islands wrote:Would it be more efficient for ambulance services to be provided by the fire department like in NYC or would you be better off with a separate service? This is for a city, BTW.


Late answer, but I think it doesn't matter that much. It seems that It depends on if the country has an universal publicly-funded healthcare system, if yes it's more likely that the country has an agency dedicated just to handling ambulances (which is very often part of the health ministry).


THE IN-CHARACTER NAME IS RADITIA, NOT RADIMOSTAN

User avatar
Champagne Socialist Sharifistan
Minister
 
Posts: 2099
Founded: Dec 08, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Champagne Socialist Sharifistan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:23 am

Purpelia wrote:
Champagne Socialist Sharifistan wrote:Collapsed how? Overrun by whom?

Well for a start all those young men dying and dying and dying are going to eventually die. And than you're out of young men. That's pretty much what happened to Nazi Germany.

Revolutions would not happen due to the obvious noblesse oblige exercised by the ruling class combined with a large military, well-funded and competent police and intelligence service and the influence of religion (mostly Islam)

The large military that you just said was dying in huge numbers? Even if they are so fanatical that they don't just revolt on their own the rest of the people will just as soon as you start running out of manpower. That's basically what happened to Russia in 1917.

Seriously, replace Islam with Orthodox Christianity and you are basically describing 1917 Russia.

About point 1. They have a high birth rate to get more young men.

About point 2. The difference with Russia is the lack of noblesse oblige shown by the Tzars.
In Tzarist Russia the common Infantry Privates died.

They die in the Sharifistani wars too but the Ruperts die with them.
A semi-satirical nation which does not fully represent my views.
The Turkish War of Independence and everything before along with 2014 modernisation are set in stone.
Everything else is subject to change
Black Lives Matter!

User avatar
Purpelia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33233
Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Libertarian Police State

Postby Purpelia » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:42 am

Champagne Socialist Sharifistan wrote:About point 1. They have a high birth rate to get more young men.

A young man takes 16-20 years to grow, breed, train and reproduce. War tends to go faster.

About point 2. The difference with Russia is the lack of noblesse oblige shown by the Tzars.
In Tzarist Russia the common Infantry Privates died.

They die in the Sharifistani wars too but the Ruperts die with them.

In WW1 everyone died. Which is why the first Russian revolution was not done by the commons.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.



The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

User avatar
Champagne Socialist Sharifistan
Minister
 
Posts: 2099
Founded: Dec 08, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Champagne Socialist Sharifistan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:47 am

Purpelia wrote:
Champagne Socialist Sharifistan wrote:About point 1. They have a high birth rate to get more young men.

A young man takes 16-20 years to grow, breed, train and reproduce. War tends to go faster.

About point 2. The difference with Russia is the lack of noblesse oblige shown by the Tzars.
In Tzarist Russia the common Infantry Privates died.

They die in the Sharifistani wars too but the Ruperts die with them.

In WW1 everyone died. Which is why the first Russian revolution was not done by the commons.

Well there is a civil war going on right now.
The Communists might rise up.
A semi-satirical nation which does not fully represent my views.
The Turkish War of Independence and everything before along with 2014 modernisation are set in stone.
Everything else is subject to change
Black Lives Matter!

User avatar
New Visayan Islands
Minister
 
Posts: 3046
Founded: Jan 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Visayan Islands » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:52 am

Radimostan wrote:
New Visayan Islands wrote:Would it be more efficient for ambulance services to be provided by the fire department like in NYC or would you be better off with a separate service? This is for a city, BTW.


Late answer, but I think it doesn't matter that much. It seems that It depends on if the country has an universal publicly-funded healthcare system, if yes it's more likely that the country has an agency dedicated just to handling ambulances (which is very often part of the health ministry).

Would it work for a system where large cities provide emergency services to their constituents a la NYC or LA? I'm thinking in one province--I'll use Bohol again, seeing as I've already fleshed out the police composition (i.e. the number of sworn officers) of a regular precinct in one of the province's areas--you have large cities with their own police and fire departments (which may or may not provide ambulance services; a dedicated ambulance service where the latter is the case) and smaller towns sharing police and fire (plus ambulance) services in a manner akin to counties?
Embassy program of the NVI
Time zone: GMT+8
For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

User avatar
Champagne Socialist Sharifistan
Minister
 
Posts: 2099
Founded: Dec 08, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Champagne Socialist Sharifistan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:50 am

Sharifistan encourages Afghan men to come there to work in skilled construction trades as well as unskilled labour and the security industry?

Am I correct that this is realisitic?
A semi-satirical nation which does not fully represent my views.
The Turkish War of Independence and everything before along with 2014 modernisation are set in stone.
Everything else is subject to change
Black Lives Matter!

User avatar
Dayganistan
Diplomat
 
Posts: 849
Founded: May 02, 2016
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Dayganistan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:13 am

Champagne Socialist Sharifistan wrote:Sharifistan encourages Afghan men to come there to work in skilled construction trades as well as unskilled labour and the security industry?

Am I correct that this is realisitic?

Afghans are less likely to die in their own country than Sharifistan so I would say no. Especially since a lot of them already go to Iran for work where they're less likely to die.
Last edited by Dayganistan on Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Champagne Socialist Sharifistan
Minister
 
Posts: 2099
Founded: Dec 08, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Champagne Socialist Sharifistan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:44 am

Dayganistan wrote:
Champagne Socialist Sharifistan wrote:Sharifistan encourages Afghan men to come there to work in skilled construction trades as well as unskilled labour and the security industry?

Am I correct that this is realisitic?

Afghans are less likely to die in their own country than Sharifistan so I would say no. Especially since a lot of them already go to Iran for work where they're less likely to die.

They're less likely to die,
but in Sharifistan the pay is way better.
A semi-satirical nation which does not fully represent my views.
The Turkish War of Independence and everything before along with 2014 modernisation are set in stone.
Everything else is subject to change
Black Lives Matter!

User avatar
Purpelia
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33233
Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Libertarian Police State

Postby Purpelia » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:50 am

Champagne Socialist Sharifistan wrote:
Dayganistan wrote:Afghans are less likely to die in their own country than Sharifistan so I would say no. Especially since a lot of them already go to Iran for work where they're less likely to die.

They're less likely to die,
but in Sharifistan the pay is way better.

You just said your nation was in a civil war not a page ago. Nobody and I mean nobody is going to go from a mostly stable nation, no matter how bad it is, and move to one in an actual war, civil or otherwise voluntarily. Certainly not masses of people searching for a better life.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.



The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

User avatar
The Islands of Versilia
Minister
 
Posts: 2784
Founded: Feb 21, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:01 pm

I plan to create a Jewish diaspora community in one of my other nations called the Iūdisċ (singular: Iūde; plural: Iūdas), or something similar, heavily inspired by the Yiddish communities in Continental Europe and other European Germanic Jews. The nation in which this fictional community exists is very heavily influenced by Old English and Anglo-Saxon culture, although its religion is a synthesis of Mithraic influences, Germanic common myths, early Christianity and sun worship. I was wondering what I should keep in mind and how to make the community more believable, and whether I should make the effort to create a language like Ladino and Yiddish.

Thanks.
⠀⠀⠀⠀❂⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀❂⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀❂⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀❂⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀❂⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀❂⠀⠀⠀⠀
Versilia
What right is greater than the right to grow old?


Retcon? Check. Political confusion? Check. Procrastination? Check.

Status: Reconsidering politics
| Real Life Announcements | I’ve been making a Versilian conlang. Thoughts, per placer.

User avatar
Triplebaconation
Senator
 
Posts: 3652
Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Triplebaconation » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:59 pm

There weren't any permanent Jewish communities in pre-Conquest English but if there were they probably would have spoken a dialect of Old English and written it with Hebrew script - a local equivalent to Yiddish developed nearly everywhere Jews settled. The modern name would probably be Anglitic or something like that.

I don't know of any equivalent to "Jew" in Old English. It seems some variant of iudisc or ebreisc was always used as a substantive.

Old English is pretty clunky with modern characters. I'd probably modernize it a bit to something like Judewish and/or Hebrish.
Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

User avatar
The Islands of Versilia
Minister
 
Posts: 2784
Founded: Feb 21, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby The Islands of Versilia » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:33 am

Triplebaconation wrote:There weren't any permanent Jewish communities in pre-Conquest English but if there were they probably would have spoken a dialect of Old English and written it with Hebrew script - a local equivalent to Yiddish developed nearly everywhere Jews settled. The modern name would probably be Anglitic or something like that.

I don't know of any equivalent to "Jew" in Old English. It seems some variant of iudisc or ebreisc was always used as a substantive.

Old English is pretty clunky with modern characters. I'd probably modernize it a bit to something like Judewish and/or Hebrish.


Then Jew would likely be quite rare in the nation in question unless it was known to be more tolerant of Jews than other realms, potentially making emigration more appealing even in those days. I was planning to use the Hebrew script and base it off Old English, so I’ll be doing that.

I chose Iūde as the equivalent of “Jew”, based off the Old English Iudeisc. Hebrish is a pretty good name however.
⠀⠀⠀⠀❂⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀❂⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀❂⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀❂⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀❂⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀❂⠀⠀⠀⠀
Versilia
What right is greater than the right to grow old?


Retcon? Check. Political confusion? Check. Procrastination? Check.

Status: Reconsidering politics
| Real Life Announcements | I’ve been making a Versilian conlang. Thoughts, per placer.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alingarch, Google [Bot], New Transeurasia, New Vihenia, Sturmdrungen, Zaaiyetse

Advertisement

Remove ads