NATION

PASSWORD

Worldbuilding Realism Consultation Thread Mk. 4

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:45 pm

Radictistan wrote:Wouldn't prosecuting the Head of Government for spilling military secrets pretty much mean that the state has lost control of its security apparatus? What to keep secret is supposed to be the Boss' call not that of his underlings.

In a parliamentary system or a constitutional monarchy or a semi-presidential system there isn't anything really contradictory about prosecuting the PM. He is only the first of the ministers and there is generally a process to replace him if needed.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

Austrasien
Minister

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Austrasien » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:55 pm

If you let any one person know everything you've already made a mistake :ugeek:
Last edited by Austrasien on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The leafposter formerly known as The Kievan People

The weak crumble, are slaughtered and are erased from history while the strong survive. The strong are respected and in the end, peace is made with the strong.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:24 am

wth
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:35 am

A list of random Hebrew words in a circle.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Scandinavian Nations
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Scandinavian Nations » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:26 am

Allanea wrote:random (((Hebrew))) words

No such thing.
Those who don't remember history, are blessed to believe anything is possible when they're repeating it.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:05 am

Gallia- wrote:Some things Man was not meant to know.

Are you a fan of Charles Stross's 'Laundry' series?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:41 am

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:wth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/tentacle

Allanea wrote:A list of random Hebrew words in a circle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_Key_of_Solomon

It's a pentacle in either that or Key of Solomon. I forget which grimoire I shamelessly copied it from.

Bears Armed wrote:
Gallia- wrote:Some things Man was not meant to know.

Are you a fan of Charles Stross's 'Laundry' series?

Possibly.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:49 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_Key_of_Solomon

It's a pentacle in either that or Key of Solomon. I forget which grimoire I shamelessly copied it from.

Probably whoever wrote that didn't know Hebrew either.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:53 am

Considering he was a 16th century Western European Christian.

Ostensibly it's names of angels or some such IIRC. I forget the exact justification the author had.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:10 am

It seems like a random list of angel names + random Kabbala terms + entirely random words [like suddeenly it says Sun for whatever reason].
#HyperEarthBestEarth

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:15 am

A growing trend in policing seems to be to specifically designate less lethal shotguns by painting them a bright color and/or mechanically altering them to where they will only fire less lethal rounds. This is allegedly done to prevent mistaking a lethal shell-loaded shotgun for one loaded with less lethal shells.

the RN solution to this problem is using "mag-fed" shotguns with color coded magazines. The detachable magazines can either be marked or painted wholly in a specific color to denote their contents. Additionally, unlike traditional shotguns with fixed tube mags, where, once loaded, it is impractical to switch to a different type of shell on the fly (it would require manually removing all remaining shells in the magazine and loading up with different rounds), mag-fed shotguns have the added benefit of allowing types of ammunition to be switched by switching out the detachable magazine.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:44 am

Gallia- wrote:So a Saiga-12?

SPAS-15 and something like a Grizzly 12

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:23 pm

Scandinavian Nations wrote:
Allanea wrote:random (((Hebrew))) words

No such thing.

*** Warned for trolling ***

You're not supposed to edit quotes without marking your edits, but the bigger problem here is using triple parentheses to troll Jews.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:34 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Scandinavian Nations wrote:No such thing.

You're not supposed to edit quotes without marking your edits, but the bigger problem here is using triple parentheses to troll Jews.

how do parentheses troll someone?

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:39 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

how do parentheses troll someone?

It is a fairly recently discovered meme:

The use of the "echo" originated from a 2014 episode of The Daily Shoah, a podcast produced by the alt-right blog The Right Stuff. The podcast includes a segment known as the "Merchant Minute", where Jewish names are spoken with a cartoonish echo effect to single them out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_parentheses
Last edited by Gallia- on Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scandinavian Nations
Ambassador

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Scandinavian Nations » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:10 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:the RN solution to this problem is using "mag-fed" shotguns with color coded magazines. The detachable magazines can either be marked or painted wholly in a specific color to denote their contents. Additionally, unlike traditional shotguns with fixed tube mags, where, once loaded, it is impractical to switch to a different type of shell on the fly (it would require manually removing all remaining shells in the magazine and loading up with different rounds), mag-fed shotguns have the added benefit of allowing types of ammunition to be switched by switching out the detachable magazine.

Potentially leaving one old round in the chamber for whoever is unlucky enough to get the first shot. Or lucky, depending on the direction of the switch.

Gallia- wrote:It is a fairly recently discovered meme:

I was trying to continue the picture's joke by referencing that meme - some people would look for meaning in any Hebrew words just because "there are no coincidences". There used to be a crude browser extension "coincidence detector" that would put these brackets around a list of words everywhere, including in the quote window, instantly revealing any of its users who forgot to turn it off on forums.

(But I guess, if it's zero tolerance on that here, won't reference it again.)
Those who don't remember history, are blessed to believe anything is possible when they're repeating it.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Good job on demonstrating death of the author I guess.

The "joke" you refer to is at least 500 years old. I literally copied an image from Ars Goetia or something more or less verbatim (I rotated the words to align better, but if I had to do it again I'd flip the middle one) because it was all I had on hand, the Abrahamic context of the image matched previous occult things I've drawn for Galla, and I thought it looked better than just a circle with a star in it. Anyone who recognized it for what it was would be a reasonable tier sperg. It is just an homage to Western occultism.

Chinese Peoples
Minister

Founded: Dec 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Peoples » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Kouralia wrote:I'm curious: do you think (or know if) the Official Secrets Act applies to the Prime Minister, or the US version applies to the PoTUS?

Have you been watching Yes Minister?
I'm considering having my nation's Area 51-esque location be revealed and made public knowledge by an incoming Head of Government post-election, and am considering the likelihood of criminal charges immediately following that event.

If something was public policy, then it's the responsibility of the entire government under a parliamentary system. In case of Britain, a public act is done under the name of the crown, and the crown is protected by sovereign immunity, so the PM can't be prosecuted for it, but he can be impeached by parliament for it or have a vote of confidence against him. That much is political responsibility, but the PM will never be criminally responsible for the disclosure.
IC Title: the Republic of China | MT | Factbooks | the only democratic China on NS
The duty of the state is to prevent danger, not to punish it after it has happened. Rescind the 2nd Amendment, today.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Scandinavian Nations wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:the RN solution to this problem is using "mag-fed" shotguns with color coded magazines. The detachable magazines can either be marked or painted wholly in a specific color to denote their contents. Additionally, unlike traditional shotguns with fixed tube mags, where, once loaded, it is impractical to switch to a different type of shell on the fly (it would require manually removing all remaining shells in the magazine and loading up with different rounds), mag-fed shotguns have the added benefit of allowing types of ammunition to be switched by switching out the detachable magazine.

Potentially leaving one old round in the chamber for whoever is unlucky enough to get the first shot. Or lucky, depending on the direction of the switch.

I was going to address this but didn't think anyone would notice LOL.

For the semi/pump, in order to switch to a different type of ammo, you have 3 options, assuming the weapon is loaded and with a round chambered:

a) pull the current mag out before firing the last round that you intend to fire of the current ammo (obvs. at this point you may as well put in the new mag)
b) before firing the (potentially) last round that you intend to fire of the current ammo, switch to pump. upon firing it, the gun will not automatically cycle as it is in pump mode - at this point, you may switch the mag and pump-cycle the weapon, which will eject the spent shell and load a fresh round of the new kind. alternatively, if you've changed your mind about switching the mag, continue using the current mag after manually cycling the gun once, either in pump action still or switching back to semi.
c) one last option is to simply switch the mag if you do not intend to fire the round that you currently have loaded, and simply cycle the action by the charging handle which would eject the unfired round and load a fresh round of the new kind. the unfired round can either be retrieved or discarded.

edit: for the pump i think it's pretty self-explanatory lol. either eject the current round first or simply don't chamber a new round until you're sure you intend to fire it

Obviously best policy would be never to leave such a weapon with a round chambered (so they don't get picked up with a round chambered) so you always know exactly what ammo you're putting in.
Last edited by DnalweN acilbupeR on Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Absolon-7
Diplomat

Founded: May 11, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Absolon-7 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:05 pm

I've been thinking of retconning the way my country's government is run but I've been stuck at a impasse. I disfavor both monarchism since there's no guarantee your heir will be as competent has you and direct/representative democracy since the former is weak to the fickle desires of the potentially uneducated masses and the former for being to vulnerable to corruption and petty rivalries. So I've been thinking of how to come up with a feasible form of government where the ruler is chosen by merit. Before I make the decision to retcon, I sort of want a second opinion on how good or bad a meritocracy form of government could be.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:17 pm

There is no such thing as a meritocracy.

That's to say, the word 'meritocracy' means 'advancement on merit'.

Every society believes it advances people based on 'merit'.

The problem is defining what 'merit' is, how to measure it, and what institutions should exist to measure it.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information