NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Type 6

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will OP the next MGVoYN[NM] thread?

Imperializt Russia
25%
Anemos Major
33%
Questers
5%
Dragomere
13%
Dostanuot Loj
3%
The Kievan People
14%
Oaledonia
8%

Total votes : 159

Anacasppia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Anacasppia » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:02 pm

Dostanuot Loj wrote:
Anacasppia wrote:Frankly, this gives rise to yet more questions - why two containers of five instead of one container of ten? So that it would be less serious if either container was hit and set off, perhaps?

Also, how are the containers reloaded? From within the tank or externally? In combat does the loader take rounds from hull stowage and load them into the bustle containers?

Well, the ready rounds in the IV are stored in two rotors of 5 tubes because of space concerns. They have room to go sideways, not vertically. As each tube is itself protected, there is less of a concern of them all going.

It is reloaded from inside the tank.

My understanding is the AMX-40 had a similar, manually cranked version of this.

Could one hope to fit a single, Meggitt-style continuous magazine of, I don't know, 20 rounds perhaps in the Merkava? As it is the bustle seems rather narrow towards the rear end...

Edit: muwahaha top page again - have some relevant Merk pr0n
Last edited by Anacasppia on Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foederatae Anacaspiae
Federated States of Anacaspia
Factbook | Introduction | Federated States Military Forces

Call me Ana.
I support thermonuclear warfare. Don't you?
Anemos Major wrote:Forty-five men, thirty four tons, one crew cabin... anything could happen.

Mmm... it's getting hot in here.

Stahn
Senator

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:05 pm

I do often wonder how ineffective anti tank missiles are now that Passive and Active anti missile defense systems are so common. :/

I was thinking of dealing with this by using salvo's of missiles from anti tank platforms.

(When I am not using a gun)

Canuckland
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Canuckland » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:11 pm

Found this tank, any major flaws before I make a write up? (FT)
Please call me 'Canuck.'
Also, here's my Factbook WIP Factbook.

Factbook update incoming any day now...

Dostanuot Loj
Senator

Founded: Nov 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dostanuot Loj » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:12 pm

Anacasppia wrote:
Dostanuot Loj wrote:
Well, the ready rounds in the IV are stored in two rotors of 5 tubes because of space concerns. They have room to go sideways, not vertically. As each tube is itself protected, there is less of a concern of them all going.

It is reloaded from inside the tank.

My understanding is the AMX-40 had a similar, manually cranked version of this.

Could one hope to fit a single, Meggitt-style continuous magazine of, I don't know, 20 rounds perhaps in the Merkava? As it is the bustle seems rather narrow towards the rear end...

Edit: muwahaha top page again - have some relevant Merk pr0n

Why a Meggit style? They are rather bulky for what you get.
Rather, just make an updated AMX-13 style two-drum autoloader.
Leopard 1 IRL

Kyiv is my disobedient child. :P

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:13 pm

Canuckland wrote:Found this tank, any major flaws before I make a write up? (FT)

Why those wheels on the side? Strait armor would be more effective since I can see the tracks. Turret doesn't look big enough to fit people.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:16 pm

Macedonian Grand Empire wrote:
Gallia- wrote:
You mean austere, cut down versions of MBT-70?

MBT-70 would have been a MASSIVE flop especially today people. Passive and Active anti missile defense systems people. It uses a missile launcher...
Next thing: No composite armor. It was designed to face the T 62 and the T 55...
And finally overcomplicated.
The Abrams and the Leopard are much better then it.

Shillelagh was a Lalfest.

What makes you think MBT-70 wouldn't have received drop-in Special Armor inserts? XM815 didn't have composite armour initially.

There are other problems you could address besides protection, which was superior to all Western MBTs of its era including the Chieftain.

What was overly complex about it? Replacing in-arm hydropneumatic suspension is easier than replacing a torsion bar. MBT-70's most complicated features were the 20mm cannon and driver's capsule, besides Shillelagh. Most automotive ideas were retained (except the suspension) in XM1, such as a high power-to-weight ratio and the Leopard II used a development of the same 1,500 HP diesel. Clearly overcomplicated. Spaced armour of the MBT-70 was replaced by Chobham style armour when it became available in XM815/XM1 prototypes, too.

Seems like it wasn't a "MASSIVE flop", but actually quite a well-thought out main battle tank using the technology of the era to its fullest, with clever use of protected volume to reduce the weight, and had a serious influence on the succeeding designs.

Both M1 and Leopard 2 have inferior operational mobility to MBT-70 due to their higher weights, although whether this is relevant or not (MBT-70 would have required a new series of support vehicles and bridges, it was still pretty heavy) is debatable tbh. Aside from that, the MBT-70 had superior cross-country mobility, similar situational awareness, and hunter-killer capability during day and night (not seen on Abrams until M1A2).

It was also cost-prohibitive, inferior in terms of protection (of debatable usefulness, ~speed is armour~), had a really silly idea about commander's armament, had a few more points of failure (although the driver's capsule had a mechanical locking feature and manual backup in case the hydraulic system failed), and a few more man-hours of maintenance per day.

Against T-55s and T-62s (the only tanks the West ever fought), it would have been no worse than M1 Abrams. Against T-72Ms, it would have been equal or slightly better. Against better, Soviet tanks, it would have lacked in the protection department but with the 120mm L/44 it would have been sufficient to defeat them too. Just try not to get hit.

ODS would have turned out the same with MBT-70s replacing Abrams, but look 100x cooler.
Last edited by Gallia- on Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Canuckland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Canuckland » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:17 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Canuckland wrote:Found this tank, any major flaws before I make a write up? (FT)

Why those wheels on the side? Strait armor would be more effective since I can see the tracks. Turret doesn't look big enough to fit people.

I think I've highlighted the treads. In red.

The turret? Hmm...I might have to hand-wave that if I find it even more inadequate.
EDIT:
Never mind, I thought you said you couldn't see the treads. But I'd put those wheels there to fake out the enemy, or maybe just blow away disks to fake the enemy AND have active ERA.
Last edited by Canuckland on Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please call me 'Canuck.'

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:27 pm

Canuckland wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:Why those wheels on the side? Strait armor would be more effective since I can see the tracks. Turret doesn't look big enough to fit people.

I think I've highlighted the treads. In red.

The turret? Hmm...I might have to hand-wave that if I find it even more inadequate.
EDIT:
Never mind, I thought you said you couldn't see the treads. But I'd put those wheels there to fake out the enemy, or maybe just blow away disks to fake the enemy AND have active ERA.

Those wheels seem to give the tank a rather low ground contact length relative to the vehicle's total length, which won't do wonders for your ground pressure. It also seems to be rather short on electronics and sensors, and lacking a commander's weapons station of any kind.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Canuckland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Canuckland » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:29 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Canuckland wrote:I think I've highlighted the treads. In red.

EDIT:

Those wheels seem to give the tank a rather low ground contact length relative to the vehicle's total length, which won't do wonders for your ground pressure. It also seems to be rather short on electronics and sensors, and lacking a commander's weapons station of any kind.

Electronics and sensors? Hm, of what kind? I mean, there might be a laser rangefinder on the other side, at least I think I see one.

A commanders weapon? Like an AA roof mounted machine gun?
Please call me 'Canuck.'

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:33 pm

Canuckland wrote:Electronics and sensors? Hm, of what kind? I mean, there might be a laser rangefinder on the other side, at least I think I see one.

A cupola for all-around vision, a gunner's primary sight, ideally a commander's independent sight, plus all the bells and whistles like a softkill jammer and other detection systems.

Roof mounted, but not necessarily for AA use. A machine gun, light autocannon, or automatic grenade launcher, to supplement the main and coaxial weapons.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Canuckland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Canuckland » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:39 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Canuckland wrote:Electronics and sensors? Hm, of what kind? I mean, there might be a laser rangefinder on the other side, at least I think I see one.

A cupola for all-around vision, a gunner's primary sight, ideally a commander's independent sight, plus all the bells and whistles like a softkill jammer and other detection systems.

Roof mounted, but not necessarily for AA use. A machine gun, light autocannon, or automatic grenade launcher, to supplement the main and coaxial weapons.

That's what I was afraid of, the first three. A soft kill jammer? Excuse me if I'm being rather stupid, but what are those?

I was close enough. But I was also afraid of this, which is why I planned to have an MBT-70 style 20mm autocannon in the turret. Problem: Small turret, again. So that's at least six things I need to hand wave. It seems I might have to go back looking.
Please call me 'Canuck.'

Lydenburg
Senator

Founded: May 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Canuckland wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

That's what I was afraid of, the first three. A soft kill jammer? Excuse me if I'm being rather stupid, but what are those?

I was close enough. But I was also afraid of this, which is why I planned to have an MBT-70 style 20mm autocannon in the turret. Problem: Small turret, again. So that's at least six things I need to hand wave. It seems I might have to go back looking.

I'd recommend a co-axial machine gun next to the main cannon. It'll function well as a secondary weapon, and solves the issue of the missing MG/commander's weapon.

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Canuckland
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Canuckland » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:55 pm

Lydenburg wrote:
Canuckland wrote:

I'd recommend a co-axial machine gun next to the main cannon. It'll function well as a secondary weapon, and solves the issue of the missing MG/commander's weapon.

It appears that the coaxial is either under the weapon, or I could say it's on the other side.
Please call me 'Canuck.'

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:55 pm

Canuckland wrote:That's what I was afraid of, the first three. A soft kill jammer? Excuse me if I'm being rather stupid, but what are those?

Active protections are either hardkill (where some kind of munition is physically fired at incoming ordnance to destroy or deflect it) or softkill (which tries to jam or otherwise distract or misguide incoming ordnance without physical impact). A jammer is one of these and can be used against certain kinds, but not all kinds, of missile.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Lydenburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:17 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Canuckland wrote:That's what I was afraid of, the first three. A soft kill jammer? Excuse me if I'm being rather stupid, but what are those?

Active protections are either hardkill (where some kind of munition is physically fired at incoming ordnance to destroy or deflect it) or softkill (which tries to jam or otherwise distract or misguide incoming ordnance without physical impact). A jammer is one of these and can be used against certain kinds, but not all kinds, of missile.

Is there any way to defeat a hardkill APS?

Ek bly in Australie nou, maar Afrika sal altyd in my hart wees. Maak nie saak wat gebeur nie, ek is trots om te kan sê ek is 'n kind van hierdie ingewikkelde soms wrede kontinent. Mis jou altyd my Suid-Afrika, hier met n seer hart al die pad van Melbourne af!

Riysa
Senator

Founded: Jan 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Riysa » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:19 pm

Lydenburg wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

Double-tap, and jamming the MMW radar it uses are your best bets ;)

Also, I think there's a disposable RPG-series MANPATW that fired both a shaped charge and a radar decoy, although it was only direct fire and unguided.

Lydenburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:24 pm

Riysa wrote:
Lydenburg wrote:

Also, I think there's a disposable RPG-series MANPAT that fired both a shaped charge and a radar decoy, although it was only direct fire and unguided.

Define double-tap. Not really possible with a large-calibre gun, unless we're talking ARES 75/heavy autocannon class here.

Jamming the MMW radar? How would one go about this?

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Stahn wrote:I do often wonder how ineffective anti tank missiles are now that Passive and Active anti missile defense systems are so common. :/

I was thinking of dealing with this by using salvo's of missiles from anti tank platforms.

(When I am not using a gun)
They are good because combined arms is good.
Restore the Crown

The Soodean Imperium
Senator

Founded: May 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soodean Imperium » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Riysa wrote:Also, I think there's a disposable RPG-series MANPATW that fired both a shaped charge and a radar decoy, although it was only direct fire and unguided.

Ah! That would be the RPG-30.
Last harmonized by Hu Jintao on Sat Mar 4, 2006 2:33pm, harmonized 8 times in total.

"In short, when we hastily attribute to aesthetic and inherited faculties the artistic nature of Athenian civilization, we are almost proceeding as did men in the Middle Ages, when fire was explained by phlogiston and the effects of opium by its soporific powers." --Emile Durkheim, 1895
Come join Septentrion!
ICly, this nation is now known as the Socialist Republic of Menghe (대멩 사회주의 궁화국, 大孟社會主義共和國). You can still call me Soode in OOC.

Lydenburg
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lydenburg » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:33 pm

The Soodean Imperium wrote:
Riysa wrote:Also, I think there's a disposable RPG-series MANPATW that fired both a shaped charge and a radar decoy, although it was only direct fire and unguided.

A double-barreled RPG. Well, now I've seen everything.

I really imagined more of a double round which split after being fired, or some such thing.

Riysa
Senator

Founded: Jan 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Riysa » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:34 pm

Lydenburg wrote:
Riysa wrote:

Also, I think there's a disposable RPG-series MANPAT that fired both a shaped charge and a radar decoy, although it was only direct fire and unguided.

Define double-tap. Not really possible with a large-calibre gun, unless we're talking ARES 75/heavy autocannon class here.

Are we talking about KEPs or missiles? KEPs are harder to defeat by APS systems, so there's that - when it comes to KEPs, what the APS tries to do is destabilize it in order to reduce penetration. Either way, what I mean is fire two shots at the same time, probably from different launchers/vehicles, to confuse the system.

You jam it like you jam other radar sets.

The Soodean Imperium wrote:

Oi, thanks! Its a pretty neat concept, although the problem is that it only works for unguided direct LOS systems. :(

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:44 pm

Hmm..How effective would you guys say a 20x118mm Autocannon with a 15-20 round magazine be against early-to-late WW2 tanks?
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013

Postby Gallia- » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:56 pm

Riysa wrote:
Lydenburg wrote:

Are we talking about KEPs or missiles? KEPs are harder to defeat by APS systems, so there's that - when it comes to KEPs, what the APS tries to do is destabilize it in order to reduce penetration. Either way, what I mean is fire two shots at the same time, probably from different launchers/vehicles, to confuse the system.

You jam it like you jam other radar sets.

The Soodean Imperium wrote:Ah! That would be the RPG-30.

Oi, thanks! Its a pretty neat concept, although the problem is that it only works for unguided direct LOS systems. :(

A bigger problem is that it doesn't work.

Connori Pilgrims
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 14, 2012

Postby Connori Pilgrims » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:58 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:Hmm..How effective would you guys say a 20x118mm Autocannon with a 15-20 round magazine be against early-to-late WW2 tanks?

Useful against early-war vehicles, all but worthless against anything else unless you can get the gun to hit the engine deck.
LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR YOU. HATE.

Overview of the United Provinces of Connorianople (MT)
FT - United Worlds of Connorianople/The Connori Pilgrims
MT-PMT - United Provinces of Connorianople
PT (19th-Mid-20th Century) - Republic of Connorianople/United States of America (1939 World of Tomorrow RP)
FanT - The Imperium Fremen

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:01 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:Hmm..How effective would you guys say a 20x118mm Autocannon with a 15-20 round magazine be against early-to-late WW2 tanks?

Against early WW2 tanks it would probably work fine, it would start to drop off during the war, and would probably be less than useful against any type of tank by the end of the war. However you could still put it to use against armored are, halftracks, as a sniper, etc.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information