NATION

PASSWORD

Military Ground Vehicles of Your Nation [NO MECHS] Type 6

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will OP the next MGVoYN[NM] thread?

Imperializt Russia
25%
Anemos Major
33%
Questers
5%
Dragomere
13%
Dostanuot Loj
3%
The Kievan People
14%
Oaledonia
8%

Total votes : 159

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Tue May 06, 2014 12:02 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:

12x66cm revolver.

What the shit.

I don't even.

What.

80 rounds per minute guise. Abrams dun' got nothin' on that! All thanks to an open-bolt delayed-blowback system. Gee, why didn't we think of making some frankenstein tank cannon-revolver-automatic rifle hybrid?

Consortium of Manchukuo wrote:>No butler for opening up the door for them and attending to their needs
>No world class chef for preparing food
>No interior decorator approved designs
>No home movie theatre
>No shrine to the dear leader of their nation for brainwashing purposes
>No cheerleading team
>No zoo with wild animals for emergency self defense and appreciation
>No emergency medical bay

i am disappoint

If Etihad can fit these on a plane, why can't they put it in a tank?
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Kampala-
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kampala- » Tue May 06, 2014 12:04 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:
Viritica wrote:(Image)
Pfft, none of your pathetic tanks could ever beat the mighty Churchill.

None as in ever? Or none as in era?

Because Sherman Firefly lols @ u.

Churchill would beat a Firefly.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.

Premislyd
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Premislyd » Tue May 06, 2014 12:07 pm

Wardie land wrote:Leopard Mk I**

Is it bad that I like the Leo 1 more than the Leo 2
Just a heads up, I suffer from [insert stereotypical internet illness here], and will use it as an excuse instead of taking responsibility for my actions.
~Transgendered, bisexual, transsexual, metrosexual, homosexual, Japanophile, heterosexual, transvestite asexual and proud~
Pimps Inc wrote:Swastikas are not allowed in nationstates unless your are RPing as Nazi Germany or sumthing

Arkandros
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkandros » Tue May 06, 2014 12:19 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:

12x66cm revolver.

What the shit.

I don't even.

What.

Can someone re-explain how the flashgap is sealed? It seemed like the entire (probably multiton) cycling mechanism slid forward on a piston assembly, but that seems like it would be really hard to do, particularly in the limited space available in a tank.
Never mind! Not what I thought it was.
Last edited by Arkandros on Tue May 06, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.”
John F. Kennedy

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Tue May 06, 2014 12:21 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:80 rounds per minute guise. Abrams dun' got nothin' on that! All thanks to an open-bolt delayed-blowback system. Gee, why didn't we think of making some frankenstein tank cannon-revolver-automatic rifle hybrid?

I wouldn't hate it so much if it wasn't so fucking obnoxious.

Anemos markets some rly cool stuff, but does in a rather nice way, even on his storefront he does it pretty well, but not FUCK EVERYTHING YOU HAVE ASRIGUSISU INDUSTRIES IS BETTER THAN EVERYTHING YOU HAVE BUZZWORD BUZZWORD BUZZWORD ULTRA-LETHAL (as opposed to moderately lethal?) BUZZWORD BUZZWORD.

And yes open-bolt delayed-blowback system on a tank is rly good thing k.

Also being able to carry 60 rounds of 12x66cm whatever.

Its also ETC from the looks of it. <3
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Arkandros
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkandros » Tue May 06, 2014 12:23 pm

Kampala- wrote:
San-Silvacian wrote:
None as in ever? Or none as in era?

Because Sherman Firefly lols @ u.

Churchill would beat a Firefly.

Then the 17 Pdr M10 Achilles laughs at you. Or any tank built after 1950. The Churchill was replaced, after all.
“I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.”
John F. Kennedy

Licana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Tue May 06, 2014 12:43 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:80 rounds per minute guise. Abrams dun' got nothin' on that! All thanks to an open-bolt delayed-blowback system. Gee, why didn't we think of making some frankenstein tank cannon-revolver-automatic rifle hybrid?

Also doubles as light howitzer. Considering the stated range/accuracy, I have to assume that this is an actual intended purpose of this vehicle.

My favourite is actually the secondary armament. 300 rpm firing a 4 MJ, 5128 m/s KEP out of an RMK-30 knock off.
>American education
[19:21] <Lubyak> I want to go and wank all over him.
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Tue May 06, 2014 1:03 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Registug wrote:Everything in a tank should be within arm's reach anyway; can't waste time or space trying to clamber around inside the compartment.

Nah bro, don't you want a toilet, a kitchenette, weapons, food, and medical lockers, and your entrenching tools all inside the vehicle?

how do you stay sane?
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Factbook [url=iiwiki.com/wiki/Corporate_Confederacy]Wiki Article[/url]
Neptonia

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Tue May 06, 2014 1:18 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:

Anemos markets some rly cool stuff, but does in a rather nice way, even on his storefront he does it pretty well, but not FUCK EVERYTHING YOU HAVE ASRIGUSISU INDUSTRIES IS BETTER THAN EVERYTHING YOU HAVE BUZZWORD BUZZWORD BUZZWORD ULTRA-LETHAL (as opposed to moderately lethal?) BUZZWORD BUZZWORD.

One thing that slightly annoys me about a lot of designs (including some of the best ones) is that the write up often tends to include an excessive amount of detail, most of it pretty common sense. It tends to lead to absolutely massive paragraphs and extremely long sections, often describing concepts that can either be better described by looking it up alone or which could be determined from the name itself. For instance, Yohannes' Panthera write up included a very long section about the exact layout of the hybrid drivetrain, the configuration of the engine, and its advantages, whereas most of this information could be easily gleaned from a brief Wikipedia search of the relevant terms.

I suppose it's a side effect of the combination of encyclopedia article and sales pitch that most tanks in GE&T have in order to boost customer numbers and look competitive. Part of it might also be how far these tanks tend to push technology, such that the obscure scientific papers being referenced often don't show up on more general-purpose websites. And then there's often a sprinkling of IC history to justify why designers went this far. When I wrote the article for the Jaguar II on IIWiki, I rather liberally applied the [[wpl]] template to link to relevant Wikipedia articles in order to keep the tank's own article shorter and to the point. Anything more just gets put in the big stat box at the bottom.

It's a personal peeve to be sure, and I suppose it makes good business sense to toss so much information at people especially given that most GE&T buyers are easily impressed with a bit of lineart and a big writeup.

That aside, back to mocking:

Both the primary and secondary guns seem to somehow be recoilless, while the tank itself is protected by a whopping 130 mm of steel armor plus NxRA. That last part I find somewhat puzzling, since the author has clearly seen enough to have heard of NxRA, and to even be able to claim a nitrate-based filler for it (not terribly different from the one I use), but has somehow neglected to use any sort of heavy metals or composites in the armor at all and given it the sort of protection expected from a WWII heavy tank rather than an NS wanktank.

I also like the part where it says it doesn't need a sabot for the special HVC ammunition, and then three paragraphs later says that the APFSDS needs a sabot.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Tue May 06, 2014 1:54 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
San-Silvacian wrote:

One thing that slightly annoys me about a lot of designs (including some of the best ones) is that the write up often tends to include an excessive amount of detail, most of it pretty common sense. It tends to lead to absolutely massive paragraphs and extremely long sections, often describing concepts that can either be better described by looking it up alone or which could be determined from the name itself. For instance, Yohannes' Panthera write up included a very long section about the exact layout of the hybrid drivetrain, the configuration of the engine, and its advantages, whereas most of this information could be easily gleaned from a brief Wikipedia search of the relevant terms.

I suppose it's a side effect of the combination of encyclopedia article and sales pitch that most tanks in GE&T have in order to boost customer numbers and look competitive. Part of it might also be how far these tanks tend to push technology, such that the obscure scientific papers being referenced often don't show up on more general-purpose websites. And then there's often a sprinkling of IC history to justify why designers went this far. When I wrote the article for the Jaguar II on IIWiki, I rather liberally applied the [[wpl]] template to link to relevant Wikipedia articles in order to keep the tank's own article shorter and to the point. Anything more just gets put in the big stat box at the bottom.

It's a personal peeve to be sure, and I suppose it makes good business sense to toss so much information at people especially given that most GE&T buyers are easily impressed with a bit of lineart and a big writeup.

Excessive amount of text expounding on commonplace topics annoys me, too.

Nevertheless I think some technical gobbledygook is necessary to expound on the little details which make your particular system (whether it's engine, armament, electronics, etc) unique - not necessarily superior - in many respects to others in their class, whether NS or RL - and garner appreciation from the more informed customers.
Last edited by Krasny-Volny on Tue May 06, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Tue May 06, 2014 2:04 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:

I think it's supposed to be a Merkava.

The buzzword shit annoys me almost as much as the marketing of a bullshit NS product next to images of an RL vehicle with RL stats. Almost.
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

Black Hand
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Black Hand » Tue May 06, 2014 4:11 pm

So for a dedicated modern Tank destroyer what would be Ideal armament?
Servus patriae
C&C Based PMT
Pax Per potestatem
I live in a World all my own.
Puzikas wrote:You clearly don't know about the baby bald eagle built into each one.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Why is there a "joke option" included in the poll when "yes" is already there?

Fordorsia wrote:Sight rib? Like a barbecue?

Fordorsia wrote:Why sell the restored weapons when you can keep them in a military-themed sex dungeon?

San-Silvacian wrote:Nothing says I love you like a fine Belgian firearm.

Bezombia wrote: "glorious discharge"

Mitheldalond
Minister

Founded: Mar 15, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Mitheldalond » Tue May 06, 2014 4:23 pm

Black Hand wrote:So for a dedicated modern Tank destroyer what would be Ideal armament?

ATGMs

Black Hand
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Black Hand » Tue May 06, 2014 4:29 pm

Mitheldalond wrote:
Black Hand wrote:So for a dedicated modern Tank destroyer what would be Ideal armament?

ATGMs

Would a Javelin like ATGM work?
It's fire and forget and supposedly quite potent, I'm just assuming that a Reloadable launcher would be ideal
Servus patriae
C&C Based PMT
Pax Per potestatem
Puzikas wrote:You clearly don't know about the baby bald eagle built into each one.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Why is there a "joke option" included in the poll when "yes" is already there?

Fordorsia wrote:Why sell the restored weapons when you can keep them in a military-themed sex dungeon?

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Tue May 06, 2014 4:35 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
http://web.archive.org/web/20121105212645/http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=147849
Honestly, the Panthera doesn't even explain how it works. It goes into detail, but it doesn't further the comprehension of the reader. It's more akin to technobabble then anything else and certainly doesn't offer any comparative details.

Amusingly, Prius-style drivetrains aren't being used for heavy vehicles.

The HybriDrive system replaces the gearbox, alternator and starter motor with a three-phase brushless alternator serving as a generator, two powerful motor-generators, a computerized shunt system to control the afforementioned devices, a mechanical power splitter that acts as a second differential, and a battery pack that serves as an energy reservoir. The motor-generator uses power from the battery pack to propel the vehicle at startup and at low speeds or under acceleration. The ICE may or may not be running at startup. When higher speeds, faster acceleration or more power for charging the batteries is needed the ICE is started by the motor-generator, acting as a starter motor.
I'm telling you, this is meaningless to typical armchair generals.
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Neptonia

Anacasppia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Anacasppia » Tue May 06, 2014 4:44 pm

Premislyd wrote:
Wardie land wrote:Leopard Mk I**

Prem you're not alone.

In my case its something to do with the fact that Leo 1 was a pretty good tank relative to its contemporaries but the Leo 2...not so.
Foederatae Anacaspiae
Federated States of Anacaspia
Factbook | Introduction | Federated States Military Forces

Call me Ana.
I support thermonuclear warfare. Don't you?
Anemos Major wrote:Forty-five men, thirty four tons, one crew cabin... anything could happen.

Mmm... it's getting hot in here.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Tue May 06, 2014 5:36 pm

Brimstone missile.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

The Animarium
Civil Servant

Founded: May 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Animarium » Tue May 06, 2014 5:55 pm

Our general military does not use vehicles, preferring guerrilla tactics. I special units, however, have developed vehicles for military use. These were done under projects hidden from the general populace.

Project Rescue Vehicles

This project also produced a jet.

Project Thunder was commissioned alongside Project Wind and Project Samurai

This project also produced a ship, a submarine and a jet.

Black Hand
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Black Hand » Tue May 06, 2014 5:58 pm

The Animarium wrote:Our general military does not use vehicles, preferring guerrilla tactics. I special units, however, have developed vehicles for military use. These were done under projects hidden from the general populace.

Project Rescue Vehicles

Project Thunder was commissioned alongside Project Wind and Project Samurai
(Image)
(Image)

(Image)
(Image)
(Image)
(Image)

This project also produced a ship, a submarine and a jet.
(Image)
(Image)

Servus patriae
C&C Based PMT
Pax Per potestatem

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Tue May 06, 2014 7:02 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9A9oxJ ... e=youtu.be

T-34

best russian tank, being used by russians, fighting to lose their freedom
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Neptonia

Consortium of Manchukuo
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Consortium of Manchukuo » Tue May 06, 2014 10:19 pm

Anacasppia wrote:
Premislyd wrote:

Prem you're not alone.

In my case its something to do with the fact that Leo 1 was a pretty good tank relative to its contemporaries but the Leo 2...not so.

What is wrong with the Leopard 2? That isn't a defense of it, I just don't know enough about modern tanks beyond general specifics to be able to judge them effectively and would like to try to know some more information regarding this. All I could see for it that was bad was its torsion bar suspension, and its height (Which had some different sites putting conflicting stuff out there, but wikipedia's 3 meters seems unnaturally tall given that no other modern Western MBT has that sort of height).

Leclerc is better anyway. Great glory to amx-56.
Just pretend this is a signature or whatnot.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Tue May 06, 2014 10:24 pm

Consortium of Manchukuo wrote:What is wrong with the Leopard 2? That isn't a defense of it, I just don't know enough about modern tanks beyond general specifics to be able to judge them effectively and would like to try to know some more information regarding this. All I could see for it that was bad was its torsion bar suspension, and its height (Which had some different sites putting conflicting stuff out there, but wikipedia's 3 meters seems unnaturally tall given that no other modern Western MBT has that sort of height).

There's been a lot of hate in regards to its ammunition storage, which places a good deal of the reserve ammo in a box right in the front hull right next to the driver, potentially in the path of any penetrating ordnance from the frontal arc. As well as the fact that relative to the Abrams, it hasn't had nearly as much combat history.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Tue May 06, 2014 10:27 pm

Consortium of Manchukuo wrote:
Anacasppia wrote:Prem you're not alone.

What is wrong with the Leopard 2? That isn't a defense of it, I just don't know enough about modern tanks beyond general specifics to be able to judge them effectively and would like to try to know some more information regarding this. All I could see for it that was bad was its torsion bar suspension, and its height (Which had some different sites putting conflicting stuff out there, but wikipedia's 3 meters seems unnaturally tall given that no other modern Western MBT has that sort of height).

all tanks are tall if you include their roof machine guns
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Neptonia

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Tue May 06, 2014 11:13 pm

Consortium of Manchukuo wrote:
Anacasppia wrote:Prem you're not alone.

Tank design by nation.

Russian tanks are designed to win winter.
Chinese tanks are designed by Russia.
Japanese tanks are designed to win anime.
German tanks are designed to win racecourses.
French tanks are designed to win beauty competitions.
American tanks are designed to win congress.
British tanks are designed to win battles.
Restore the Crown

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Tue May 06, 2014 11:16 pm

Questers wrote:
Consortium of Manchukuo wrote: What is wrong with the Leopard 2? That isn't a defense of it, I just don't know enough about modern tanks beyond general specifics to be able to judge them effectively and would like to try to know some more information regarding this. All I could see for it that was bad was its torsion bar suspension, and its height (Which had some different sites putting conflicting stuff out there, but wikipedia's 3 meters seems unnaturally tall given that no other modern Western MBT has that sort of height).

Tank design by nation.

Russian tanks are designed to win winter.
Chinese tanks are designed by Russia.
Japanese tanks are designed to win anime.
German tanks are designed to win racecourses.
French tanks are designed to win beauty competitions.
American tanks are designed to win congress.
British tanks are designed to win battles.

I've got to know, what's the Ariete for?
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information