NATION

PASSWORD

NS Military Realism Consultation Thread #5

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thread Author #6 Poll

Questers
34%
Gallia-/Kampala-
10%
Velkanika
7%
The Kievan People/Kyiv
24%
The Akasha Colony
4%
Spirit of Hope
3%
Lamoni
4%
Lyras
8%
Lubyak
4%

Total votes : 119

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:33 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:Nope, not like that.
It will beg the question: What constitutes a soul?

Souls are non-extant in an AI universe. o:

When machines can think like man, nothing separates the two.

Well, nothing besides an undying hatred of the flesh and burning desire to create everything in your own image, I suppose. AIs are never raised to be social animals.

Galla, sometimes I think you only think in 2D :<
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

Mozria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:34 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Mozria wrote:Would it be possible to have a dual-purpose ATGM platform that can fire both ATGWs and SAMs? It wouldn't be using a radar or anything of the sort, as the SAMs would be infra-red seeking.

Does this fit your requirements?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Defens ... ank_System

Yes, I would say that that would be rather close. However, I would be looking for a platform that could launch and control both sorts of missiles from the same launch tubes (80mm). Seeing that the CRV7 rocket (70mm) was a very powerful high-energy rocket that was used by the MMEV program and was capable of performing very well against AFVs, I would presume that a guided munition of similar specifications could be used against ground vehicles while the platform could also launch MANPADS missiles through the same tubes.

Would this idea work out? If so, could I possibly fit longer-range and more precise AA munitions into the launchers (example being a smaller LFK-NG ripoff)?

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:34 pm

Oaledonia wrote:
Gallia- wrote:
Souls are non-extant in an AI universe. o:

When machines can think like man, nothing separates the two.

Well, nothing besides an undying hatred of the flesh and burning desire to create everything in your own image, I suppose. AIs are never raised to be social animals.

Galla, sometimes I think you only think in 2D :<

I think in 4D. black white hot cold

AIs are just 2D.

On or off.
Last edited by Gallia- on Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Velkanika
Minister

Founded: Sep 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Velkanika » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:37 pm

Triplebaconation wrote:
Triplebaconation wrote:
Odd. Perhaps you have the scale wrong.

Ah. Just as I suspected. The one oddity is the nose, which I stole from an obscure Ted Nomura comic because I thought it looked cool. Since this is supposed to be a mediocre FT fighter I felt that was justified.

Well, that certainly helps with figuring out what the scale is. Seeing as it's FT, that changes things by a fair bit. The engines look like they're too small to me still, but it's plausible given that much technological advancement. The chimes also make sense if you want a very high speed and high altitude aircraft. I assumed this was an MT/PMT fighter when I laid into it, so I apologize for the misunderstanding.

That said, the wings are swept too much for their size FT or not. I say move the leading edge of the wing root forward to about where the F-16's anchors on that underlay and reduce the sweep of the trailing edge. That'll make it a tail-first delta, which would be much more aerodynamic. I'd also terminate the chimes before the radome to avoid interfering with radar operation.

Zeinbrad wrote:Mind helping me make the specs for it, and maybe, work on the Ragon craft for their elite squadrons?

Triplebaconation wrote:You'd probably be better off asking an expert like Velkanika.

I'm game. I'd say it maxes out at ~Mach 3.5-4 at around 100-120,000 feet altitude on Earth, just as a first guess from the limited art available (can't see the intake design or fuselage profile). You'll want to have variable-geometry intakes with precoolers to keep your engines operating for long periods of time. You'll also want internal weapon bays and heavy area ruling to minimize drag, and skin that can expand under prolonged heat. The SR-71 had corrugated skin so that it wouldn't buckle when it expanded at cruising speed. You also might want trapezoidal wings for hypersonic flight.
Last edited by Velkanika on Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The necessity of a navy, in the restricted sense of the word, springs, therefore, from the existence of a peaceful shipping, and disappears with it, except in the case of a nation which has aggressive tendencies, and keeps up a navy merely as a branch of the military establishment. 1
1Alfred T. Mahan, The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783, 12th ed. (Boston: Little Brown and Company, 1890), 26.

Please avoid conflating my in-character role playing with what I actually believe, as these are usually quite different things.

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:38 pm

Velkanika wrote:
Zeinbrad wrote:So I have this bad boy (thanks to triplebackonnation for making it) the Type-57 Fighter Jet

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=19851087#p19851087

Here's the jet design, it looks small to me,does that hold any advantages? It is also armed with two 30mm autocannon,and has six or so hard points for missiles and all that good stuff.

This is the mainstay of the Ragon airforce, used by the non-elite squadrons.

The reason for two 30mm is because dogfighting is still a thing in this universe.

You only need one 30mm cannon. Two is just extra weight.

Only 6 missiles? That's borderline for a viable Air-to-Air missile load, you'd be better off with 8.

That cockpit has terrible visibility below the nose. Landing will be a very dangerous thing.

The engines look like they're only 10 feet long. Those are very small compared to other engines, and will probably give you crappy performance as such.

The wings are very small compared to the rest of the aircraft and don't generate much lift. This thing won't be able to turn for a damn even if those are massive chimes on the nose.

Small size isn't a bad thing in a fighter, but this aircraft isn't just small. The entire airframe shape is terrible for a fighter aircraft. Those petite little wings mean you're going to have a very high landing speed with a cockpit the pilot can't see the runway out of. They also mean your payload is going to be tiny, assuming you can even get it into the air with those under powered engines. This thing can't bring a fighting payload to the fight, can't turn, can't climb, can't run away, and can't hide from the enemy. It's a Widowmaker in the worst sense of the word for your pilots.

Mirage 4000 Mk. 3 uses 2 30mm cannons and pwns dumb other planes

i winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:40 pm

Mozria wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Does this fit your requirements?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Defens ... ank_System

Yes, I would say that that would be rather close. However, I would be looking for a platform that could launch and control both sorts of missiles from the same launch tubes (80mm). Seeing that the CRV7 rocket (70mm) was a very powerful high-energy rocket that was used by the MMEV program and was capable of performing very well against AFVs, I would presume that a guided munition of similar specifications could be used against ground vehicles while the platform could also launch MANPADS missiles through the same tubes.

Would this idea work out? If so, could I possibly fit longer-range and more precise AA munitions into the launchers (example being a smaller LFK-NG ripoff)?

Bofors RBS-70/Bolide combo.

Look it up.

It's what Hurty uses. Because it's pretty much jam-proof as a bullet.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:46 pm

Velkanika wrote:
Triplebaconation wrote:

Ah. Just as I suspected. The one oddity is the nose, which I stole from an obscure Ted Nomura comic because I thought it looked cool. Since this is supposed to be a mediocre FT fighter I felt that was justified.

Well, that certainly helps with figuring out what the scale is. Seeing as it's FT, that changes things by a fair bit. The engines look like they're too small to me still, but it's plausible given that much technological advancement. The chimes also make sense if you want a very high speed and high altitude aircraft. I assumed this was an MT/PMT fighter when I laid into it, so I apologize for the misunderstanding.

That said, the wings are swept too much for their size FT or not. I say move the leading edge of the wing root forward to about where the F-16's anchors on that underlay and reduce the sweep of the trailing edge. That'll make it a tail-first delta, which would be much more aerodynamic. I'd also terminate the chimes before the radome to avoid interfering with radar operation.

Zeinbrad wrote:Mind helping me make the specs for it, and maybe, work on the Ragon craft for their elite squadrons?

Triplebaconation wrote:You'd probably be better off asking an expert like Velkanika.

I'm game. I'd say it maxes out at ~Mach 3.5-4 at around 100-120,000 feet altitude on Earth, just as a first guess from the limited art available (can't see the intake design or fuselage profile). You'll want to have variable-geometry intakes with precoolers to keep your engines operating for long periods of time. You'll also want internal weapon bays and heavy area ruling to minimize drag, and skin that can expand under prolonged heat. The SR-71 had corrugated skin so that it wouldn't buckle when it expanded at cruising speed. You also might want trapezoidal wings for hypersonic flight.

Also a note, the Ragon aircraft are based on eastern aircraft, Gaians, western.

Okay. Not that I actually understood most of the things you where saying. :p

Chimes? What's that. When I searched it, I got these bell things they apparently put on airliners.
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:54 pm

This is for the Boers after their little rebellion, but is a Stridsvagn 103 based tank good for ambushing and maybe flanking?
― Fred Rogers

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:04 pm

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
Mozria wrote:Yes, I would say that that would be rather close. However, I would be looking for a platform that could launch and control both sorts of missiles from the same launch tubes (80mm). Seeing that the CRV7 rocket (70mm) was a very powerful high-energy rocket that was used by the MMEV program and was capable of performing very well against AFVs, I would presume that a guided munition of similar specifications could be used against ground vehicles while the platform could also launch MANPADS missiles through the same tubes.

Look it up.

Except against Shtora, I'd say. Perhaps, guidance versus ground could be radio-based SACLOS while a radar-slaved laser designator or simple independent IR tracking could be used versus air.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:04 pm

Shtora is worthless against beamrider missiles.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Mozria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mozria » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:05 pm

The Kievan People wrote:Shtora is worthless against beamrider missiles.

I was under the impression that it jammed laser emitters and sensors. It is a dazzler, after all.
Last edited by Mozria on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:08 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:
Velkanika wrote:You only need one 30mm cannon. Two is just extra weight.

Only 6 missiles? That's borderline for a viable Air-to-Air missile load, you'd be better off with 8.

That cockpit has terrible visibility below the nose. Landing will be a very dangerous thing.

The engines look like they're only 10 feet long. Those are very small compared to other engines, and will probably give you crappy performance as such.

The wings are very small compared to the rest of the aircraft and don't generate much lift. This thing won't be able to turn for a damn even if those are massive chimes on the nose.

Small size isn't a bad thing in a fighter, but this aircraft isn't just small. The entire airframe shape is terrible for a fighter aircraft. Those petite little wings mean you're going to have a very high landing speed with a cockpit the pilot can't see the runway out of. They also mean your payload is going to be tiny, assuming you can even get it into the air with those under powered engines. This thing can't bring a fighting payload to the fight, can't turn, can't climb, can't run away, and can't hide from the enemy. It's a Widowmaker in the worst sense of the word for your pilots.

i winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

A wild Mirage 4000 Mk.3 appears!

Type-25 SPAAG I choose you!

Type-25 SPAAG uses Surface-to-air missile!

It's super effective!

Mirage 400 Mk.3 faints!

You may kill me now.
― Fred Rogers

Triplebaconation
Senator

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:13 pm

Mozria wrote:
The Kievan People wrote:Shtora is worthless against beamrider missiles.

I was under the impression that it jammed laser emitters and sensors. It is a dazzler, after all.

Basically it drowns out the IR beacon on SACLOS missiles - the tracking unit doesn't know where the missile is anymore so it can't guide it.

Jamming a beamrider requires an actual dazzer strong enough to disorient the user for a few seconds.

Zeinbrad wrote:
Velkanika wrote:Well, that certainly helps with figuring out what the scale is. Seeing as it's FT, that changes things by a fair bit. The engines look like they're too small to me still, but it's plausible given that much technological advancement. The chimes also make sense if you want a very high speed and high altitude aircraft. I assumed this was an MT/PMT fighter when I laid into it, so I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Also a note, the Ragon aircraft are based on eastern aircraft, Gaians, western.

Okay. Not that I actually understood most of the things you where saying. :p

Chimes? What's that. When I searched it, I got these bell things they apparently put on airliners.

I'd suggest more of a Robotech/Starblazers paradigm for what you seem to want.
Last edited by Triplebaconation on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

Firmador
Minister

Founded: Dec 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Firmador » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:16 pm

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:
Mozria wrote:Yes, I would say that that would be rather close. However, I would be looking for a platform that could launch and control both sorts of missiles from the same launch tubes (80mm). Seeing that the CRV7 rocket (70mm) was a very powerful high-energy rocket that was used by the MMEV program and was capable of performing very well against AFVs, I would presume that a guided munition of similar specifications could be used against ground vehicles while the platform could also launch MANPADS missiles through the same tubes.

Look it up.

Anti-missile MANPADs, the lulz.

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:16 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:
San-Silvacian wrote:

i winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

A wild Mirage 4000 Mk.3 appears!

It's super effective!

Mirage 400 Mk.3 faints!

You may kill me now.

I also have 11 hard points and it uses modern weapons.

Also Mirage G, Mirage 2000, Rafale and Super Entendard and Jaguar when it comes to the Navy.

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:16 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:Well they aren't all going to be genocidal. The biggest section of that RP is going to be how the military copes with having young people who are rather innocent run the information. One of them is a big ol' crybaby.

If grim^dark fiction teaches us anything, all AIs are genocidal, and the ones that aren't soon will be. Remove weak flesh replace with STRONK steel.

I don't think AI's will explicitly seek humans out and destroy them.

We humans would without hesitation or remorse pave a road over an ant hill, but we generally do not actively seek such primitive creatures out and destroy them. Why would we? They are not even close to being capable of hurting or threatening us.
Last edited by Tule on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

Triplebaconation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:17 pm

I have a friend who's an exterminator.

Krazakistan
Negotiator

Founded: May 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Krazakistan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:18 pm

Gallia- wrote:Shtora is only good against old missiles like TOW and Sagger.

Does that also apply to the TOW-2 as well?
Secularism, restricted immigration policy, against affirmative action, voter ID laws, gun rights, democracy, free-market capitalism, egalitarianism, nationalism, and lastly, Rhodesia > Zimbabwe

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: 6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.56
"On the other hand, and let's face it, there's always another hand, unless you're a Saudi Arabian shoplifter of course, hurt feelings can be quite traumatic. I've heard that it can take seconds, sometimes even minutes, to get over it" ~ Pat Condell

"Communism works only in heaven, where they don't need it, and in hell, where they've already got it." ~ Ronald Reagan

"Communism was a mistake" ~ (((((((((Karl Marx)))))))))
CANT STUMP THE TRUMP

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:19 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:
Zeinbrad wrote:A wild Mirage 4000 Mk.3 appears!

It's super effective!

Mirage 400 Mk.3 faints!

You may kill me now.

Also Mirage G, Mirage 2000, Rafale and Super Entendard and Jaguar when it comes to the Navy.

I didn't know what a good number of hardpoints where okay. ;-;

Besides, when you can't trust 90% of your air force to not crash the plan while taking off, you really go hardcore on SPAAG designs.
― Fred Rogers

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:20 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:
San-Silvacian wrote:

I didn't know what a good number of hardpoints where okay. ;-;

Besides, when you can't trust 90% of your air force to not crash the plan while taking off, you really go hardcore on SPAAG designs.

Or.

Or.

Invest in a competent air force.

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:23 pm

Triplebaconation wrote:I have a friend who's an exterminator.

Exterminators only take out animals that are harmful to humans in one way or another. They don't go after ant hills somewhere in the wilderness.

An AI would undoubtedly take over our natural resources e.g. steel. But I doubt an AI would be bothered by some human hunter-gatherers on some remote, resource-poor Pacific islands.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Tule wrote:
Gallia- wrote:
If grim^dark fiction teaches us anything, all AIs are genocidal, and the ones that aren't soon will be. Remove weak flesh replace with STRONK steel.

I don't think AI's will explicitly seek humans out and destroy them.

We humans would without hesitation or remorse pave a road over an ant hill, but we generally do not actively seek such primitive creatures out and destroy them. Why would we? They are not even close to being capable of hurting or threatening us.

Come to the Republic of Texas.

Then you will see ants who hurt you.

Tears will be shed. Manly tears. A Mexican will come with the gas, and kill all the larvae where they lay.

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:24 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:
Zeinbrad wrote:I didn't know what a good number of hardpoints where okay. ;-;

Or.

Or.

Invest in a competent air force.

They try, but it's hard to make a competent air force, when your competition (The Thresians) have some of the best pilots in the galaxy.

The Thresian air force if like a entire branch of Red Barons.....
― Fred Rogers

Triplebaconation
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:29 pm

Tule wrote:
Triplebaconation wrote:I have a friend who's an exterminator.

Exterminators only take out animals that are harmful to humans in one way or another. They don't go after ant hills somewhere in the wilderness.

An AI would undoubtedly take over our natural resources e.g. steel. But I doubt an AI would be bothered by some human hunter-gatherers on some remote, resource-poor Pacific islands.

???

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information